Forrest Gump

ALifeson85

• Replies 64
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Gonna have to agree with both of you.

Actually, I haven't seen this movie start-to-finish in a long time... maybe a few years. But I grew up watching the VHS of it so it's seared in my memory. Fortunately we now have the DVD of it so I can watch it whenever I want to.

QUOTE (Xanadu93 @ May 14 2010, 11:02 PM)
Gonna have to agree with both of you.

Actually, I haven't seen this movie start-to-finish in a long time... maybe a few years. But I grew up watching the VHS of it so it's seared in my memory. Fortunately we now have the DVD of it so I can watch it whenever I want to.

Watch it quickly! It kicks more ass everytime you watch it!

Uh-oh. Here comes Mara to throw the turd in the punch bowl. Did not like. no.gif

And I love Tom Hanks.

"From then on... wherever I went... I was running!"

-----------

"I thought I'd try out my sea legs."

"Well, you ain't got no legs, Leiutenant Dan."

-----------

All I'm saying is this. I never cry. I watch Saving Private Ryan, Band of Brothers, The Pacific, The Godfather, which is very sad ANY sad/violent/tragic movie can't make me cry.

Except Forrest Gump. I almost cried several times in the movie. Joy or sadness.

I hope Jack Aubrey doesn't come in here and deduct man points. unsure.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ May 15 2010, 01:59 AM)
"From then on... wherever I went... I was running!"

-----------

"I thought I'd try out my sea legs."
"Well, you ain't got no legs, Leiutenant Dan."

-----------

rofl3.gif trink39.gif

Personally I find Forrest Gump, along with Mrs Doubtfire and Pulp Fiction, to be one of the most overated films I've ever seen. I will admit that I found it reasonably diverting but I really cannot see why it inspires such lavish praise when there are far better films around.

I also really like the film. When I was in Savannah, GA. where they filmed it, I tried finding the park bench where he sits waiting for a bus. Can't remember if I actually found it.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ May 15 2010, 12:50 PM)
Personally I find Forrest Gump, along with Mrs Doubtfire and Pulp Fiction, to be one of the most overated films I've ever seen.  I will admit that I found it reasonably diverting but I really cannot see why it inspires such lavish praise when there are far better films around.

I bet you don't even think Citizen Kane is good. Probably bland because of the black and white film and the acting was a bit dull right?

Why you put Forrest Gump, Pulp Fiction and Mrs. Doubtfire in the same sentence is beyond me rofl3.gif

Edited by Alex

QUOTE (Alex @ May 15 2010, 08:17 PM)
Personally I find Forrest Gump, along with Mrs Doubtfire and Pulp Fiction, to be one of the most overated films I've ever seen.  I will admit that I found it reasonably diverting but I really cannot see why it inspires such lavish praise when there are far better films around.

I bet you don't even think Citizen Kane is good. Probably bland because of the black and white film and the acting was a bit dull right?

Why you put Forrest Gump, Pulp Fiction and Mrs. Doubtfire in the same sentence is beyond me rofl3.gif

Excuse me for taking a while to respond to your post but I was too busy dodging the dummies you spat out of you pram because I had the temerity to disagree with you. Why is it that you seem to taking this so personal and is there any reason to be so patronising.

To respond to your comments:

I cannot pass judgement on Citizen Kane simply for the fact I just haven't gotten around to seeing it yet. I managed to pick it up on VHS last year but, before I got around to watching it, my VCR packed up and I haven't got a new one yet.

For your information, I am a great lover of black and white films and can count such classics as The Day the Earth Stood Still, Seven Samurai, Dead of Night, King Kong, Went the Day Well, Dr Strangelove, Psycho, Its a Wonderful Life, Metropolis and Cassablanca among films I thoroughly enjoy watching.

As for putting Forrest Gump, Mrs Doubtfire and Pulp Fiction into the same sentance, if you consider everything I wrote, you'll notice that I called them three of the most overated films I have seen. In other words, before I saw them, I had had many, many people telling me how brilliant/fantastic (substitute your superlative of choice) they were but, when I got around to seeing them, I was, on the whole, unimpressed. Therefore, the three films are closely linked by the sense of dispointment I felt when i watched them.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that are people in the world who will disagree with you so it might be an idea to come to terms with it. Other people are allowed to have opinions too.

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ May 15 2010, 03:49 PM)
QUOTE (Alex @ May 15 2010, 08:17 PM)

Excuse me for taking a while to respond to your post but I was too busy dodging the dummies you spat out of you pram because I had the temerity to disagree with you. Why is it that you seem to taking this so personal and is there any reason to be so patronising.

To respond to your comments:

I cannot pass judgement on Citizen Kane simply for the fact I just haven't gotten around to seeing it yet. I managed to pick it up on VHS last year but, before I got around to watching it, my VCR packed up and I haven't got a new one yet.

For your information, I am a great lover of black and white films and can count such classics as The Day the Earth Stood Still, Seven Samurai, Dead of Night, King Kong, Went the Day Well, Dr Strangelove, Psycho, Its a Wonderful Life, Metropolis and Cassablanca among films I thoroughly enjoy watching.

As for putting Forrest Gump, Mrs Doubtfire and Pulp Fiction into the same sentance, if you consider everything I wrote, you'll notice that I called them three of the most overated films I have seen. In other words, before I saw them, I had had many, many people telling me how brilliant/fantastic (substitute your superlative of choice) they were but, when I got around to seeing them, I was, on the whole, unimpressed. Therefore, the three films are closely linked by the sense of dispointment I felt when i watched them.

I suppose what I'm trying to say is that are people in the world who will disagree with you so it might be an idea to come to terms with it. Other people are allowed to have opinions too.

Ok, so explain what makes it such an overrated film? confused13.gif

The acting was good, the plot was good, the cinematography was good. It was a well put together movie that deserved the Oscars it got that year. Why is it so overrated? Best movie ever? Well no. Overrated? No.

QUOTE (Alex @ May 15 2010, 08:53 PM)

The acting was good, the plot was good, the cinematography was good. It was a well put together movie that deserved the Oscars it got that year. Why is it so overrated? Best movie ever? Well no. Overrated? No.

Mainly because people I spoke to who had seen it, tried to make out it was one of the best films ever made.

And when I saw it, it just didn't strike a chord with me. Its as simple as that.

I'm not denying that, on a technical level, it was superbly done but techinical accomplishment is not the be all and end all - a film has to strike a chord.

I know that there are a lot of people who love Forrest Gump. It just does nothing for me (probably doesn't help that I'm not a big fan of Tom Hanks). My overated comment was in respone to the original post in this thread.

QUOTE (ALifeson85 Posted: May 15 2010 @ 03:46 AM )

One of the greatest movies of all time.

I rest my case in defence of my overated statement. If people are going to make such sweeping statements, people who disagree are going to voice their opinion and that is exactly what I was doing. In fact, I thought the whole matter of debate was the whole point of forums like this or have I missed the point?

Actually, this also ties into my citing of Pulp Fiction as being overated. While I was at University, someone told me that cinema was only invented so that Pulp Fiction could be made. Now that is overstating the quality and importance of a film - everyone knows that accolade belong to Plan 9 From Outer Space

The unfortunate thing is that people have a tendency to ruin movies that way, even after I have seen it.

I used to really love Titanic, but if I watch it now, all I can think of is the people who made fun of parts of it and it kills the enjoyment.

Regarding "Forrest Gump". To me the good parts always had to do with his love for that girl he grew up with, not so much the behind the scenes magic overlaying Tom Hanks in with the famous folks like John Lennon.

I don't often think of Tom Hanks as a favorite actor, but a lot of my favorite movies have him as a major character.

I really like him in "A League of their Own" and "You've Got Mail"

QUOTE (Slaine mac Roth @ May 15 2010, 04:04 PM)
QUOTE (Alex @ May 15 2010, 08:53 PM)

Mainly because people I spoke to who had seen it, tried to make out it was one of the best films ever made.

And when I saw it, it just didn't strike a chord with me. Its as simple as that.

I'm not denying that, on a technical level, it was superbly done but techinical accomplishment is not the be all and end all - a film has to strike a chord.

I know that there are a lot of people who love Forrest Gump. It just does nothing for me (probably doesn't help that I'm not a big fan of Tom Hanks). My overated comment was in respone to the original post in this thread.

QUOTE (ALifeson85 Posted: May 15 2010 @ 03:46 AM )

One of the greatest movies of all time.

I rest my case in defence of my overated statement. If people are going to make such sweeping statements, people who disagree are going to voice their opinion and that is exactly what I was doing. In fact, I thought the whole matter of debate was the whole point of forums like this or have I missed the point?

Actually, this also ties into my citing of Pulp Fiction as being overated. While I was at University, someone told me that cinema was only invented so that Pulp Fiction could be made. Now that is overstating the quality and importance of a film - everyone knows that accolade belong to Plan 9 From Outer Space

One of the greatet films ever, I think, isn't overstating. Saying something definitive like: It is THE Greatest Film Ever is.

Out of the millions of movies that are made TONS of them are SHIT. So if I had to list GREATEST MOVIES EVER, the list would be HUGE.

Saving Private Ryan

Forrest Gump

Reservoir Dogs

Shawshank Redemption

Godfather 1

Godfather 2

Dog Day Afternoon

Braveheart

Goodfellas

Miller's Crossing

Hell even Toy Story. The greatest movies of all time list doesn't have to be limited to like 20. Just movies that are f***ing good!

I think the main thing you're failing to take into account is the fact that, like anything to do with arts, opinions are 100% subjective. What someone loves, the next person will hate and the one after them will look upon with total indifference. If you happen to be either the second or third person then, when a large number of people starts singing the praises of a particular film or book, you are, by definition, bound to consider it overated.

Now, I have personally stated that, technical accomplishments aside, Forrest Gump leaves me cold. While I don't think it to be a bad film, I was unable to connect with it in any particular way - not like I could with a film like, for instance, The Good, the Bad and the Ugly or 12 Angry Men.

(I also find it interesting to note that, after accusing me of being dismissive of black and white films, there isn't a single one among your list.)

The simple fact of the matter is that, out of the films you listed, there are two that I haven't seen so I can't comment on them. However, out of the ones I have seen, there are 4 that I don't like that much (that doesn't mean they're shit, I just don't particularly like them), 3 three I think are enjoyable and only 1 that I would class as a truly great film.

Just as a matter of comparison, my all time top 10 (at the moment, it does change according to my mood) are:

Serenity

12 Angry Men

A Matter of Life and Death

The Haunting (the Robert Wise original, not the remake)

Excallibur

Stardust

The Birds

The Thing (John Carpenter but I also love the original)

A Fist Full of Dollars

Zulu

Now, you probably disagree with most, if not all, of this list but that's fine by me. I'm not going to cast aspersions on your mentality or ability to appreciate the art of cinema so I'd appreciate it if you'd allow me to state my own opinion regarding films without it getting personal.

After all, it'd be boring if we we all liked the same.

I don't understand the popularity of this film. It's a luke warm, very average flick at best.

Then again I don't get Tom Hanks as a "serious actor" either, he's still that dopey 80s comedy hack to me...

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 15 2010, 05:19 PM)
I don't understand the popularity of this film. It's a luke warm, very average flick at best.

Pretty much.......a mediocre film IMO........no desire to watch it again for sure......Shawshank was TONS better....

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ May 15 2010, 09:17 PM)
QUOTE (treeduck @ May 15 2010, 05:19 PM)

Pretty much.......a mediocre film IMO........no desire to watch it again for sure......Shawshank was TONS better....

I can watch Shawshank an infinite amount of times.