Grunge vs. Hair

Tick

Hair metal or Grunge?  

69 members have voted

1. 1. Hair metal or Grunge?

• Grunge
    • Hair

QUOTE (MULTIPLIED REACTION @ May 6 2010, 10:47 AM)
Any AIC with Layne Staley is better than any hair metal posers.

THANK YOU!!! 1022.gif Layne rose.gif heart.gif

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ May 6 2010, 11:09 AM)
I didn't dislike grunge, but it stole the whole idea of "alternative" and made it non-alternative.

This. Alternative music was around long before grunge, yet it got pushed aside for rather mediocre music. Grunge had its good bands, don't get me wrong. Screaming Trees were amazing, probably the best of the bunch if you ask me.

Yeah. When I started listening to alternative and college radio, there were a lot of great bands, but when grunge came along, all those other alternative bands were pushed to the side and grunge became the next flavor of the month.

Shoe gaze (as it's called) was a movement in music that happened simultaneously with grunge and didn't get the same amount of press that grunge did. Thankfully, I was able to discover that brand of music since grunge didn't impress me.

Edited by circumstantial tree

I voted grunge because I like Nirvana and Soundgarden more than any hair-metal band. But both genres, like all trends, wore out their welcome as they went on.

Have any of you guys read Fargo Rock City, by Chuck Klosterman? Probably my favorite book of all time. I re-read it at least once a year. Anybody who posted in this thread, regardless of their opinion on hair metal, will probably enjoy it.

QUOTE (tick @ May 6 2010, 08:04 AM)
Grunge wins hand down for me. Bands like Poison, Cinderella, and Warrant just suck!

There are exceptions to both genres. For example, I like a band like Whitesnake, and don't like a band like Nirvana, but overall, I'll take grunge to hair metal anyday.
Back in the day I was really into, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, and Stone Temple Pilots.
I hated bands like White Lion, Brittany Fox and Faster Pussycat. Thank you grunge for putting this crap in its grave and being creative again!
I have a feeling hair metal wins this poll, but I want to see the results.

TICK!

You are killing me!!!!! I knew I would be a minority on this Forum!!

Had to go with HAIR! (but of course)

I can understand your "sucking" take on Poison and Warrant, but Cinderella ROCKS!!!

They are opening for the Scorpions this summer. I bet that is one concert you will NOT be attending.

Yep, I'm a HAIR METAL WHORE!! I love the new RATT! Love the new Scorps, new Y&T, new KROKUS!!!!!!!!

Guess not all of those bands are labeled as "HAIR" but you get my drift.

Ironically on the Y&T Forum a lot of those forum members love to give me shit because I also love the GRUNGE genre too!

I'm just a Music Whore dude.

My knees are dirty and my mouth is full.

Open Up And Say Ahhhhhhhhh because I'm "Nobody's Fool."

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ May 6 2010, 02:52 PM)
Grunge wins hand down for me. Bands like Poison, Cinderella, and Warrant just suck!

There are exceptions to both genres. For example, I like a band like Whitesnake, and don't like a band like Nirvana, but overall, I'll take grunge to hair metal anyday.
Back in the day I was really into, Pearl Jam, Alice In Chains, Soundgarden, and Stone Temple Pilots.
I hated bands like White Lion, Brittany Fox and Faster Pussycat. Thank you grunge for putting this crap in its grave and being creative again!

TICK!

I can understand your "sucking" take on Poison and Warrant, but Cinderella ROCKS!!!

They are opening for the Scorpions this summer. I bet that is one concert you will NOT be attending.

Yep, I'm a HAIR METAL WHORE!! I love the new RATT! Love the new Scorps, new Y&T, new KROKUS!!!!!!!!

Ironically on the Y&T Forum a lot of those forum members love to give me shit because I also love the GRUNGE genre too!

If your such a music whore then please profess your love for grunge with the same amount of passion. Otherwise you are not a music whore, but merely a fraud in music whores clothing. atickhum.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ May 6 2010, 01:52 PM)

TICK!

Cinderella sucks major ass. Nothing more than a low grade Aerosmith. 062802puke_prv.gif

http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii324/jawkjaw/f86d7b6147c5416d069acea7c1e588dc-1.jpg

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ May 6 2010, 10:52 AM)

TICK!

Earl I think you in particular would absolutely love the Klosterman book I linked above. Look for it next time you're at Barnes and Noble.

QUOTE (Mike @ May 6 2010, 02:51 PM)
How can you deny the awesome epicness of

http://i596.photobucket.com/albums/tt46/MajorTeck/Music/Britny%20Fox/Britny_Fox-Britny_fox.jpg

It's not easy. But, I manage to anyway.

Whitesnake were formed in 1976 were big in 1979 and 1980 well before America ever knew who they were, they were a blues/rock outfit. Putting this band in the hair metal catergory, just because they jumped on a bandwagon image-wise in the late 80s doesn't make sense, you might as well call Judas Priest hair metal, a band from the same era give or take a couple of years, because they did the exact same thing in 1986-88 after being around since 74...

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 6 2010, 01:27 PM)
Whitesnake were formed in 1976 were big in 1979 and 1980 well before America ever knew who they were, they were a blues/rock outfit. Putting this band in the hair metal catergory, just because they jumped on a bandwagon image-wise in the late 80s doesn't make sense, you might as well call Judas Priest hair metal, a band from the same era give or take a couple of years, because they did the exact same thing in 1986-88 after being around since 74...

goodpost.gif

Bravo Duck!!

A lot of bands that were formed in the Seventies came down with the BIG HAIR Virus in the Eighties!

My other favorite band in the land Y&T was also infected!!

Born in Oakland Ca back in 1974, they were rocking the Bay Are and Europe BIG TIME!!!

Signed to A&M Records and made four awesome HARD ROCK records.

But then tragedy struck in 1985, hence they were forced to have big hair, with lots of spary and pink spandex. "Down For The Count" was born.

Featuring the big hit "Summertime Girls." A song a fukking hate.

Another thing about Cinderella which I find refreshing is that they started out as a hair band then then started to gravitate to the southern rock blues genre.

This is a great thread TICK, I could write about book about this genre of music.

I LOVE IT ALL!!

Signed,

"Dangerous Toys" 1022.gif

I don't really like either catergory...

I can't think of one grunge band I really like and if we're talking hair metal that originated in the secon half of the 80s, (Cinderella, Great White, Poison etc) well I didn't like any of them either...

No vote, I don't care about ANY of them...

instead...

signs015.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ May 6 2010, 03:33 PM)

goodpost.gif

Bravo Duck!!

A lot of bands that were formed in the Seventies came down with the BIG HAIR Virus in the Eighties!

Born in Oakland Ca back in 1974, they were rocking the Bay Are and Europe BIG TIME!!!

But then tragedy struck in 1985, hence they were forced to have big hair, with lots of spary and pink spandex. "Down For The Count" was born.

Another thing about Cinderella which I find refreshing is that they started out as a hair band then then started to gravitate to the southern rock blues genre.

This is a great thread TICK, I could write about book about this genre of music.

I LOVE IT ALL!!

Signed,

1022.gif

Oh and I don't count Dokken or Motley Crue or Ratt in this, these bands were playing clubs in LA in the late 70s in one form or another and Mick Mars wav playing clubs as early as 1972...

They're contemporaries of Van Halen...

Maybe the only band that I like that could be put in the hair metal catergory, who were from that era are Guns n Roses...

QUOTE (tick @ May 6 2010, 02:08 PM)
http://i548.photobucket.com/albums/ii324/jawkjaw/f86d7b6147c5416d069acea7c1e588dc-1.jpg

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Grunge, and it's not even close. There are some great grunge bands like The Screaming Trees, Soundgarden, and L7. Hair bands were nothing but a cheesy off shoot of heavy metal. laugh.gif

Hair.

I lived through both and wasn't a fan of either (big 2.gif snob in those days).

Today I'm trying to regain my lost youth musically and find that I prefer hair to grunge.

Sure hair had its bad points, goofy looks, corny hair, shrieking guys, hedonistic attitude, but it had its good points too, like some really good musicians, big concert productions, parties, and hot chicks in sexy (sexy for the 80's) cloths.

Grunge to me was "let's see how little we can do and still make it". The music was essentially slush, pissed off about life attitude, shitty music and musicians (I know there were some good ones) dumpy cloths and dumpy chicks...it was everything that hair wasn't.

QUOTE (treeduck @ May 6 2010, 01:42 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ May 6 2010, 03:33 PM)

goodpost.gif

Bravo Duck!!

I LOVE IT ALL!!

Signed,

1022.gif

Oh and I don't count Dokken or Motley Crue or Ratt in this, these bands were playing clubs in LA in the late 70s in one form or another and Mick Mars wav playing clubs as early as 1972...

They're contemporaries of Van Halen...

Maybe the only band that I like that could be put in the hair metal catergory, who were from that era are Guns n Roses...

Amen partner! No doubt about it! George Lynch's first band was called XCITER. Late Seventies. No big hair then.

I just read "The Dirt" so it's fresh in my mind. Nikki loved KISS and Alice Cooper way back when. Mick Mars was of course the oldest dude in the band who loved guys like Jeff Beck.

It just seemed all all of these "hard rock" bands followed the trend and did the BIG HAIR because it was the Sign O' The Times."

Go for the BIG HAIR and sell RECORDS AND BANG PUSSY!!!!

Nothing wrong with that philosophy eh?

There are a ton of great musicians who came out of the HAIR DAZE.

For instance, I just mentioned Andy Timmons on the "underrated guitarist" thread.

Do you know where he got his start?

DANGER DANGER!

What about the greatness that is Reb Beach????? Great fukkin' guitarist.

He was in that little Hair Band called WINGER!!!!

Nitro. From 1989 laugh.gif

http://idolator.com/assets/resources/2007/09/nitro.jpg

Edited by circumstantial tree