Rush in Rio original sound

Sark

In the RIR liner notes, Neil mentions the show being salvaged from a primitive recording truck. Do any of you have or know what the show originally sounded like?

Hah!Honestly,I think all the live stuff since "All the worlds a stage" really doesn't do the band justice-everything sounds a bit too wooly.Nothing wrong with having more bass but a little definition would go a long way.Saying that,i thought the Rio gigs were pretty good on the production side-especially the folk in the crowd:-they all looked and sounded completely mental!My kind of people. common001.gif common001.gif common001.gif

Hey, we're talking about a HUGE stadium, not like the ones we have here. (Paul McCartney drew @ 170,000 plus here, and while they certainly sounded like 170K people, RIR's crowd was 40,000.) I think it sounds pretty good, all things considered. cool.gif

QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Apr 1 2005, 01:03 AM)
The CD sounds better than the DVD, at least. RiR is the only concert DVD I own in which I will intentionally turn OFF the 5.1 audio track. The mix is awful and the 2 channel mix is better.

The 5.1 mix is unlistenable. The 2-channel mix is MUCH better. For those who have a complete surround system, set the DVD's audio option to stereo and the receiver to Pro Logic mode, and it sounds pretty punchy. Having a good subwoofer helps.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 31 2005, 10:20 PM)
QUOTE (kbomb106 @ Apr 1 2005, 01:03 AM)
The CD sounds better than the DVD, at least.  RiR is the only concert DVD I own in which I will intentionally turn OFF the 5.1 audio track.  The mix is awful and the 2 channel mix is better.

The 5.1 mix is unlistenable. The 2-channel mix is MUCH better. For those who have a complete surround system, set the DVD's audio option to stereo and the receiver to Pro Logic mode, and it sounds pretty punchy. Having a good subwoofer helps.

LOL, my receiver is 17 years old.... I ain't got nothing but 2 channel stereo... with some big ass Cerwin Vega speakers.....

I didn't know what I was missing!!

trink38.gif

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Apr 1 2005, 03:51 AM)
LOL, my receiver is 17 years old.... I ain't got nothing but 2 channel stereo... with some big ass Cerwin Vega speakers.....

I didn't know what I was missing!!

trink38.gif

In this particular instance, nothing. In the case of most other concert DVDs, a lot!

I agree. The sound of Geddy's bass in particular is horrible. It is all treble with no solid bottom end. It's a shame, because it was a great set, too.

I think they should take a listen to Zappa's live recordings. He used his own studio, (Utility Muffin Research Kitchen), and recorded his own shows and released them as bootlegs, I mean, who'd want a bootleg if you could have a quality Zappa one??

Zapps live recordings are crystal clear and full ranging.

QUOTE (cla2112 @ Mar 31 2005, 09:06 PM)
Hey, we're talking about a HUGE stadium, not like the ones we have here. (Paul McCartney drew @ 170,000 plus here, and while they certainly sounded like 170K people, RIR's crowd was 40,000.) I think it sounds pretty good, all things considered. cool.gif

Yes, I think it sounds good too, considering. RIR might not have been their best live recording but at least it is a snapshot in time and we know very much what they sounded like at that show.

On another Board I belong to, someone had the idea that it would be great if immediately after a live show fans could buy a cd of the concert. That would be great to do. Not sure if any bands would go for it but the fans sure will.

QUOTE (Cato76 @ Apr 1 2005, 08:07 PM)
QUOTE (cla2112 @ Mar 31 2005, 09:06 PM)
Hey, we're talking about a HUGE stadium, not like the ones we have here. (Paul McCartney drew @ 170,000 plus here, and while they certainly sounded like 170K people, RIR's crowd was 40,000.) I think it sounds pretty good, all things considered.  cool.gif

Yes, I think it sounds good too, considering. RIR might not have been their best live recording but at least it is a snapshot in time and we know very much what they sounded like at that show.

On another Board I belong to, someone had the idea that it would be great if immediately after a live show fans could buy a cd of the concert. That would be great to do. Not sure if any bands would go for it but the fans sure will.

that's almost exactly what Zappa was doing. He thought, Why shouldn't I make money out of my own bootlegs??

I am not a metallica fan but I have a friend that is. Apparently Metallica sells cd's of all the live shows withing days of the concert. I think the cd's are about $10.00 per show and can be downloaded from their website.

Guest Quigley_Moog
Geddy's bass wasn't done any justice on the RiR recording. I think Alex's tone is a little to muddled and heavy; too distorted. I think the drums are fine however.

QUOTE (robertkincaid96 @ Apr 3 2005, 02:59 PM)
I am not a metallica fan but I have a friend that is. Apparently Metallica sells cd's of all the live shows withing days of the concert. I think the cd's are about $10.00 per show and can be downloaded from their website.

Hopefully more bands will take the hint and do the same thing.

Archived