Star Wars Prequels

rushgoober

In retrospect, do you think the Star Wars prequels should have been made or not? Which option fits you best?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. In retrospect, do you think the Star Wars prequels should have been made or not? Which option fits you best?

• I'm glad they got made - they were great - a worthy addition to the Star Wars universe!
    • They weren't as good as the originals, but I'm glad they're there.
    • I'm ambivalent - decent movies - fine with them, would have been fine without them.
    • They were ok or not so great - it would have been better they never existed - they tarnish the Star Wars legacy.
    • WTF was George Lucas thinking with this craptacular trilogy? What a way to ruin a franchise!

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 20 2010, 10:21 AM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Apr 20 2010, 11:00 AM)
GeddyR, I think you nailed it. The prequels are like a Pollack painting: visually interesting but what the hell is going on? A mess. In the originals the characters were interesting and the setting and effects, while surely a big part of the story, weren't what carried the movies. Other than hating Jar-Jar and laughing at Sam Jackson I don't have a connection with the overwhelming cast parading before the screen.

Sometimes you watch a movie for the first time, and it has a plot so dense that you say to yourself, "I need to see this again," hoping to make all the plot connections the second time around. You see it again, maybe you pick up things you missed the first time, and everything makes sense.

"LA Confidential" is a good example. The second time I saw it - *CLICK* - the almost labyrinthine plot came together perfectly. I've seen that movie at least 10 times now, and it gets better with each viewing because even though it's complicated, the character development is rich and flawless, the acting and directing is spot on, and the story is expertly plotted.

I was hoping that was going to be the case with "Phantom Menace." The first time I saw it, I was baffled. That didn't change after the third viewing. There was no fourth viewing.

laugh.gif

L.A. Confidential is, like, an incredible piece of cinema whereas the prequels are, like, incredible pieces of oozy fecal material that won't quite go away when flushed.

Edited by GeddyRulz

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Apr 20 2010, 10:06 AM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 20 2010, 10:21 AM)
QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Apr 20 2010, 11:00 AM)
GeddyR, I think you nailed it. The prequels are like a Pollack painting: visually interesting but what the hell is going on? A mess. In the originals the characters were interesting and the setting and effects, while surely a big part of the story, weren't what carried the movies. Other than hating Jar-Jar and laughing at Sam Jackson I don't have a connection with the overwhelming cast parading before the screen.

Sometimes you watch a movie for the first time, and it has a plot so dense that you say to yourself, "I need to see this again," hoping to make all the plot connections the second time around. You see it again, maybe you pick up things you missed the first time, and everything makes sense.

"LA Confidential" is a good example. The second time I saw it - *CLICK* - the almost labyrinthine plot came together perfectly. I've seen that movie at least 10 times now, and it gets better with each viewing because even though it's complicated, the character development is rich and flawless, the acting and directing is spot on, and the story is expertly plotted.

I was hoping that was going to be the case with "Phantom Menace." The first time I saw it, I was baffled. That didn't change after the third viewing. There was no fourth viewing.

laugh.gif

L.A. Confidential is, like, an incredible piece of cinema whereas the prequels are, like, incredible pieces of oozy fecal material that won't quite go away when flushed.

I saw L.A. Confidential only once, and I remember thinking it was only "ok." I didn't really get what everyone else was seeing. Maybe it does take a 2nd or 3rd viewing, but meh - it didn't grab me the first time, I'm not real enthusiastic to try it again.

I don't even have time to respond to the novels inside of this thread, but there are a LOT of universal truths that Lucas brought to light that are dead-on accurate with respect to our world today. Not everybody gets them, but I'm glad I do.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Apr 20 2010, 12:50 PM)
I don't even have time to respond to the novels inside of this thread, but there are a LOT of universal truths that Lucas brought to light that are dead-on accurate with respect to our world today.  Not everybody gets them, but I'm glad I do.

Yeah like: old guys in black capes can't be trusted, dudes with horns and face painted red and black are eeevil and the pretty white girl is the heroine in need of rescue. Oh, and forbidden love is the sweetest.

Very eye opening.

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Apr 20 2010, 01:54 PM)
I don't even have time to respond to the novels inside of this thread, but there are a LOT of universal truths that Lucas brought to light that are dead-on accurate with respect to our world today.  Not everybody gets them, but I'm glad I do.

Yeah like: old guys in black capes can't be trusted, dudes with horns and face painted red and black are eeevil and the pretty white girl is the heroine in need of rescue. Oh, and forbidden love is the sweetest.

Very eye opening.

Not at all. Maybe when you grow up, I'll explain. sarcasm.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Apr 20 2010, 10:57 AM)

Very eye opening.

Dude, be nice! tongue.gif

I think the original trilogy has fantastic themes that have a lot of resonance to myself and a lot of people in their lives, but I don't see the prequels adding a lot necessarily to that philosophy. I guess there are still some nuggets of wisdom from Yoda in there, but there is so much going on that it's more effort to extract them. In the original trilogy all that stuff was much more up front and apparent.

IMHO...

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Apr 20 2010, 12:57 PM)

Very eye opening.

Grow up? We're talking about Star Wars.

laugh.gif

I thought the prequels had very interesting story lines, but were ruined by horrible acting. The movies did a great job setting the table for how things came to be in the original trilogy. The sad thing is that they could have been done so much better because the plots are so compelling.

And the prequels were worth it just to see Yoda throw down. That kicked some serious ass! 1022.gif

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Apr 20 2010, 01:50 PM)
I don't even have time to respond to the novels inside of this thread, but there are a LOT of universal truths that Lucas brought to light that are dead-on accurate with respect to our world today. Not everybody gets them, but I'm glad I do.

You're Yoda!

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 20 2010, 01:49 PM)

You're Yoda!

He couldn't be. If he was, his post would've read thus:

Time to respond to the novels in this thread, I have not. But many truths about the World has Lucas brought to light. Accurate, they are. Understand them, I do, but understand them, you do not.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 20 2010, 03:02 PM)

You're Yoda!

Time to respond to the novels in this thread, I have not. But many truths about the World has Lucas brought to light. Accurate, they are. Understand them, I do, but understand them, you do not.

Good point, that is. yes.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 20 2010, 02:02 PM)

You're Yoda!

You didn't date much in high school, did you?

I kid, I kid. laugh.gif

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 20 2010, 12:04 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 20 2010, 03:02 PM)

You're Yoda!

Good point, that is. yes.gif

Star Wars geeks, you are. Star Wars geek, I must be too. Go now, I will.

I liked the prequels alright. Not as good as the originals by far, but they were still entertaining. I thought that they were lacking in the humor that the original three had.

I would like to see a prequel about Han Solo's past; smuggling and doing that Kessel run. I think that would be interesting and entertaining.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Apr 20 2010, 02:06 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 20 2010, 02:02 PM)

You're Yoda!

You didn't date much in high school, did you?

I kid, I kid. laugh.gif

Correct you are, although joking you may be. sad.gif

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Apr 20 2010, 02:26 PM)
I would like to see a prequel about Han Solo's past; smuggling and doing that Kessel run. I think that would be interesting and entertaining.

The Han Solo Adventures, by Brian Daley, is a 1979 trilogy of science fiction novels which take place two years before the events of A New Hope. The trilogy follows the smuggling days of Han Solo and Chewbacca before the movies. The books in the trilogy are:

Han Solo at Stars' End (April 1979)

Han Solo's Revenge (June 1979)

Han Solo and the Lost Legacy (August 1979)

These were some of the very first books set in the Star Wars universe, released before The Empire Strikes Back.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/20/Stars_End_cover.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9b/Han_Solos_Revenge_cover.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6b/Lost_Legacy_Cover.jpg

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Apr 20 2010, 01:14 PM)

The Han Solo Adventures, by Brian Daley, is a 1979 trilogy of science fiction novels which take place two years before the events of A New Hope. The trilogy follows the smuggling days of Han Solo and Chewbacca before the movies. The books in the trilogy are:

These were some of the very first books set in the Star Wars universe, released before The Empire Strikes Back.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/2/20/Stars_End_cover.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/9/9b/Han_Solos_Revenge_cover.jpghttp://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/6/6b/Lost_Legacy_Cover.jpg

Lucas needs to hire a competent director and gets these made. They would kick ass, as well as being a cash cow.

When I watch the prequels I go back to my 9/12/15 year-old self. Essentially; Lightsaber battles, HUGELY massive sci-fi warzones with cool-sounding weapons shooting EVERYWHERE and big outer-space battles are cool. Very cool.

It was wonderful to see the Clone War happen, to see Anakin turn into Vader - not the lead-up, the actual lava battle bit, to see Ewan McGregor kick arse, to see Yoda do something awesome. You can all write the long, winding critiques you want but I always thought the point of the films was fun - to marvel at an overblown space opera and turn off (most) critical receptors. Yeah, the bureacracy was a little boring in Ep. I, but there was a podrace and the best lightsaber duel the series has seen. Ep. II had the most unconvincing love-story known to man, but it showed us the Clone War beginning. And we saw Mace Windu, minus a 'I'm going to kick your mofo'ing ass, Palpatine', but he was worth it.

Edited by Mandalorian Hunter

QUOTE (Rushman14 @ Apr 20 2010, 04:21 PM)

Lucas needs to hire a competent director and gets these made. They would kick ass, as well as being a cash cow.

What current 20- or 30-something actor would make the best Han Solo now?

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 20 2010, 02:12 PM)

http://trailerblogger.files.wordpress.com/2008/09/zack.jpg

Edited by rushgoober

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Apr 20 2010, 04:12 PM)

Andy Dick?