Star Wars Prequels

rushgoober

In retrospect, do you think the Star Wars prequels should have been made or not? Which option fits you best?  

38 members have voted

1. 1. In retrospect, do you think the Star Wars prequels should have been made or not? Which option fits you best?

• I'm glad they got made - they were great - a worthy addition to the Star Wars universe!
    • They weren't as good as the originals, but I'm glad they're there.
    • I'm ambivalent - decent movies - fine with them, would have been fine without them.
    • They were ok or not so great - it would have been better they never existed - they tarnish the Star Wars legacy.
    • WTF was George Lucas thinking with this craptacular trilogy? What a way to ruin a franchise!

- Darth Maul. About as important as Bane in George Clooney's Batman & Robin. Outside of the aforementioned fight scene that I liked with Qui-Gon & Obi Wan, he's absolutely useless with no character development

Which is really a shame. He's like the Boba Fett of the original three, just a tremendously cool looking character that was ignored for some reason.

I remember seeing that in the cinema with my old flatmate and laughing our asses off when Darth Sidious introduces Maul...

"This is my apprentice...((Maul steps to the left to appear on screen and folds his arms like a tough guy)), Darth Maul".

http://starwarsmaven.info/wp-content/uploads/2014/05/Lord-Sidious-introducing-Darth-Maul.png

:LOL:

Stupid, cheesy crap! Unfortunately, unintentionally so.

- midi-chlorians

- Anakin's mum and her role in the story. "Okay, you're my only son and you were immaculately conceived but you wanna become a Jedi. I'll likely never see you again. See you."

Yeah, that whole thing was unnecessary. Science-a-fying the Force made no sense, and I don't know what was achieved by adding an immaculate conception.

George Lucas blew his wad on the original three releases. Midi-chlorians and immaculate conception seem like lazy ideas.

I'm giving them a pass on VII as it was their way of getting it back on track but it was too reminiscent of IV. I'm really looking forward to VIII especially after the awesome rogue one.

Phantom Menace is nearly unwatchable. I tried again tonight but I wanted to throw a boot through my television before the pod race.

You're being nice. It's a piece of shit on its best day. I suppose there are few good parts like Kenobi & Qui-Gon vs Maul and maybe something else that I'm forgetting. But a burrito is also good before you drag it through a sewer. I mean, you wouldn't eat that burrito anymore would you? :hail:

To be honest its people like you two that made Lucas sell the Star Wars rights to Disney. He got tired of people complaining on his work. And I can understand him...

In that case, we owe JohnnyBlaze a big thank you. The Force Awakens and Rogue One were better than 1 and 2, easily, and probably better than 3 as well.

• Like 1

Phantom Menace is nearly unwatchable. I tried again tonight but I wanted to throw a boot through my television before the pod race.

You're being nice. It's a piece of shit on its best day. I suppose there are few good parts like Kenobi & Qui-Gon vs Maul and maybe something else that I'm forgetting. But a burrito is also good before you drag it through a sewer. I mean, you wouldn't eat that burrito anymore would you? :hail:

To be honest its people like you two that made Lucas sell the Star Wars rights to Disney. He got tired of people complaining on his work. And I can understand him...

In that case, we owe JohnnyBlaze a big thank you. The Force Awakens and Rogue One were better than 1 and 2, easily, and probably better than 3 as well.

And they don't undermine the Original Trilogy like the prequels do.

So I watched the prequels recently with my daughter and if you take out Jar-Jar from Phantom, it's not that bad of a movie. I thought episode two was worse because of the horrible love affair between Anakin and Padme. Qui-Gon is my favorite Jedi and the light saber fight at the end was pretty cool.

The biggest problem I have with Episode One is that it's irrelevant to the main storyline. They wasted an entire movie about Anakin as a child. IMO, Episode One should have started with Anakin being Luke's age in Episode 4. The love affair between him and Padme would have been better if he was her age and acted more like an adult instead of a petulant child. They created so many flaws in ANakin's character that it was completely unbelievable that anyone would fall in love with him.

That's a good point. Of the three prequels, Episode One has become the most tolerable for me, probably because it is pretty much a stand-alone, story-wise. As for Episodes two and three, an adolescent Anakin just isn't very interesting to me, and the romance with Padme really bogs things down. And the story of Anakin's transition to Vader doesn't really reveal much we don't already know. There are great moments with Obi wan and characters like General Greivous, but mostly I find myself wishing they'd just get on with it.

Don't get me wrong, Episode 2 was crap too.

But here's the good and bad with Phantom Menace IMHO...

The Good...

- Ewan McGregor and Liam Neeson. Good actors rarely are bad no matter how bad the movie is. That duel towards the end with Maul was exciting and fun.

- the use of R2 & C3PO

- soundtrack

The Bad...

- Jar Jar. That's a given.

- Little Anakin actor. He's as annoying as Jar Jar in his worst scenes.

- midi-chlorians

- Anakin's mum and her role in the story. "Okay, you're my only son and you were immaculately conceived but you wanna become a Jedi. I'll likely never see you again. See you."

- Darth Maul. About as important as Bane in George Clooney's Batman & Robin. Outside of the aforementioned fight scene that I liked with Qui-Gon & Obi Wan, he's absolutely useless with no character development

I generally agree, but the use of 3PO and R2 were horrible in each of the movies, and it destroyed the continuity between the films.

• Like 2

So I watched the prequels recently with my daughter and if you take out Jar-Jar from Phantom, it's not that bad of a movie. I thought episode two was worse because of the horrible love affair between Anakin and Padme. Qui-Gon is my favorite Jedi and the light saber fight at the end was pretty cool.

The biggest problem I have with Episode One is that it's irrelevant to the main storyline. They wasted an entire movie about Anakin as a child. IMO, Episode One should have started with Anakin being Luke's age in Episode 4. The love affair between him and Padme would have been better if he was her age and acted more like an adult instead of a petulant child. They created so many flaws in ANakin's character that it was completely unbelievable that anyone would fall in love with him.

That's a good point. Of the three prequels, Episode One has become the most tolerable for me, probably because it is pretty much a stand-alone, story-wise. As for Episodes two and three, an adolescent Anakin just isn't very interesting to me, and the romance with Padme really bogs things down. And the story of Anakin's transition to Vader doesn't really reveal much we don't already know. There are great moments with Obi wan and characters like General Greivous, but mostly I find myself wishing they'd just get on with it.

Don't get me wrong, Episode 2 was crap too.

But here's the good and bad with Phantom Menace IMHO...

The Good...

- Ewan McGregor and Liam Neeson. Good actors rarely are bad no matter how bad the movie is. That duel towards the end with Maul was exciting and fun.

- the use of R2 & C3PO

- soundtrack

The Bad...

- Jar Jar. That's a given.

- Little Anakin actor. He's as annoying as Jar Jar in his worst scenes.

- midi-chlorians

I generally agree, but the use of 3PO and R2 were horrible in each of the movies, and it destroyed the continuity between the films.

I might've been too generous. But I'm not budging in my view of McGregor and Neeson or the soundtrack

;)

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 2

I tried to stop George after Phantom Menace but you know, these things take time.

Oh and remember, it wasn't just me. It was JohnRogers too that helped to make the mighty Hollywood whale that is George Lucas quit.

:blaze:

Edited by JohnnyBlaze
  • Like 1

Can you stop posting pictures all the time and say something instead! So damn annoying!

Can you just stop posting in general?

• Like 1