Ged, bring back the Rick for Moving Pictures songs

Rick4001

I like the rick and all...think it's a cool bass, but I really couldn't care any less what equipment any of them are using, as long as they are playing!

A petition for Ged to bring it back, I don't get at all unless you own stock in the company or something.

What's next, a petition for silk robes, long hair and platform shoes?

QUOTE (YYZ1993 @ Apr 12 2010, 02:26 PM)
I like the rick and all...think it's a cool bass, but I really couldn't care any less what equipment any of them are using, as long as they are playing!

A petition for Ged to bring it back, I don't get at all unless you own stock in the company or something.

It'll happen (the additional petitions). Just wait.

^^^ Did not know that. A little research validates that, but I found some debate as to which songs.

I have a video interview on my hard drive with Geddy from around 3 years ago from (I believe) Bass Player Magazine. It was on youtube for quite a while but I can't find it now. Anyway, it's pretty extensive and one section of the interview is actually labeled "The basses used on Moving Pictures". I'm watching it now and I'll get you some quotes.

Here you go:

Geddy - "I got tired of that particular Ricky sound for a while and started moving in to the Fender, on the Moving Pictures album was really the first album I played a lot of my Jazz bass. I played both those basses on that particular album and they both sound quite different but people think they're the same bass but if you listen to Red Barchetta, that's the Ricky, the typical Ricky sound but if you listen to Tom Sawyer that's the Fender on that one. So, they are slightly different and I kind of like the Tom Sawyer-ish sound.

Interviewer - "Is that the Rick on Limelight?

Geddy - "Uh, Limelight's the Rick, I think, yeah."

So there's at least some hard info from Geddy himself.

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 12 2010, 01:51 PM)
QUOTE (YYZ1993 @ Apr 12 2010, 02:26 PM)

It'll happen (the additional petitions). Just wait.

Well, to see them in the red overalls from the MP cover would be cool. tongue.gif

I agree... as long as he's playing, I don't really mind which bass he uses.

Though the Rick would be kind of awesome to see... cool.gif

I think Ged's memory of the specifics could be off. He used the Rick on Tom Sawyer, as this is even recorded on film. I believe he probably used the Fender Jazz live on the MP tour for the same songs he used it for in the studio:

On the MP tour:

Rick: Tom Sawyer, Red Barchetta, Limelight, Camera Eye

Jazz: YYZ, Vital Signs

I think Ged's memory of the specifics could be off. He used the Rick on Tom Sawyer, as this is even recorded on film.

What do you mean it's recorded on film, are you talking about the video? Do you seriously believe that the video for Tom Sawyer (and the others from MP) is them actually recording those tracks on film?

I think the tracks/basses used goes a little something like this

Tom Sawyer - Jazz

Red Barchetta - Ric

YYZ - Jazz with what sounds like a Chorus Pedal

Limelight - Ric with his usual high end gain cut down slightly (it growls more)

TCE - Ric

Witch Hunt - Jazz

Vital Signs - Jazz with a weird flangey effect at the end bass solo

Just an educated guess from a quick listen to these tracks

QUOTE (snowdog2112 @ Apr 12 2010, 10:01 PM)
I think Ged's memory of the specifics could be off. He used the Rick on Tom Sawyer, as this is even recorded on film.

What do you mean it's recorded on film, are you talking about the video? Do you seriously believe that the video for Tom Sawyer (and the others from MP) is them actually recording those tracks on film?

Absolutely. I know a lip synch when I see one, and the Le Studio videos aren't. Do you seriously believe those are lip synched?

Edited by spitball

QUOTE (spitball @ Apr 13 2010, 06:11 AM)

Absolutely. I know a lip synch when I see one, and the Le Studio videos aren't. Do you seriously believe those are lip synched?

Of course the videos, Tom Sawyer and Limelight, are lip synched, but why would he use the Rick in them if he did not record those songs with the Rick?

QUOTE (Rick4001 @ Apr 13 2010, 08:03 AM)

Of course the videos, Tom Sawyer and Limelight, are lip synched, but why would he use the Rick in them if he did not record those songs with the Rick?

Hmm, I guess we have to agree to disagree here. I don't buy that they are lip synched.

Even their choices of guitars live on the MP tour seem to go along with the studio. Alex used a semi hollow Gibson (Howard Roberts) live on Tom Sawyer and The Camera Eye, and Strats for the rest. I believe he used semi hollows (some combo of 345, 355 and Howard Roberts) in the studio for those same songs, and Strats on everything else. Geddy used the Jazz live on YYZ and Vital Signs only. I think the same went a Le Studio; Jazz only on YYZ and Vital Signs.

Those are the actual album recordings being filmed at Le Studio. How anyone thinks they are lip synched is beyond me. Time Stand Still is lip synched. Tom Sawyer at Le Studio is not.

Not that any of this is important in the grand scheme of things...

Edited by spitball

QUOTE (spitball @ Apr 13 2010, 08:10 AM)
QUOTE (Rick4001 @ Apr 13 2010, 08:03 AM)

Hmm, I guess we have to agree to disagree here. I don't buy that they are lip synched...

...Those are the actual album recordings being filmed at Le Studio. How anyone thinks they are lip synched is beyond me.

I suppose the term 'lip sync' is being used here to express 'not live'. Perhaps the video was taped in part during the recording of those songs, but the songs could not have been recorded in one take. I'm sure the video was spliced together for a seamless finished product and "synced" with the audio.

Personally I don't care what he plays. Might be cool to see the whole lot of basses if they're doing a "time machine" themed tour...whip out the Wal and the Steinberger too. Why not?

I love the sound of the Ricky...and as much, the look. But it matters not anything to me. It's a nostalgic tug really at best IMO.