INSANE Ticket Prices

Echoes

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 12 2010, 10:23 AM)
QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Apr 12 2010, 09:19 AM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 12 2010, 10:12 AM)
I guess it really is the cash-grab tour...I was right all along.  I'm so disappointed Alex, Neil and Geddy would actually sink to this level...they've really morphed into becoming greedy bastards.  "Let's raise the ticket prices to counter the drop in album revenues. Stick it into the ass of the stupid fans. They're gullible and pathetically desperate enough for any new Rush material". 

I will not be attending this tour purely out of principle, nor will I purchase anything Rush-related.  I'm completely sickened of what they've become. Quite frankly, they can kiss my ass...all three of them.

Does this mean you'll quit TRF and go hang out at the White Stripes forum instead and let all those people enjoy all your lovely and witty comments instead?

Is this your attempt at humor or wit?

No.

It was wishful thinking. I hope you either *finally* stop your incessant Rush bashing here or GTFO and go find something better to do. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but you cross the respect line on the topic that this entire forum is dedicated too. Your stupid comments reflect poorly on us all.

Edited by Godeater2112

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

its always in their best interest to have you pay more than you can afford. I am not justifying the prices but they are what they are.

My guess is they know this tour will attract more people than the average tour and are comfortable bumping up the price accordingly to reflect that.

it sucks as for us as fans but its a sound business decision for them.

Yeah, I realize that.

I'm of the business opinion you offer a better price and more people go rather than you jack it to the ceiling of what you think you'll get....and hope you've not pushed too far. But then again I'm not a businessman either....admitedly. tongue.gif So me = shitty business model I'm sure. People love a deal...and deals sell well. You price it to where only the (relative) elite and the insanely stupid (those in serious hock) make up the vast majority of the attendees and mid-grade folks with families don't get to go. That seems skewed and weird to me....even if it reads well in the books. The books don't care how stressed that model is or becomes...does it? Just bottom line.

I don't mean to offend anyone...and I realize there are folks other than this group who fit into this. I just think the system is pushing the limits to the max and the degree to which it "works" is one that's functional but twisted and distorted functional.

One day we'll see a ceiling on football ticket prices and concerts. Like all other bubbles, this one will burst too. I'm actually a bit shocked it hasn't happened yet, but when it does, it'll be sudden I suspect.

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 12 2010, 09:12 AM)
I guess it really is the cash-grab tour...I was right all along.  I'm so disappointed Alex, Neil and Geddy would actually sink to this level...they've really morphed into greedy bastards.  "Let's raise the ticket prices to counter the drop in album revenues. Stick it into the ass of the stupid fans. They're certainly gullible and pathetically desperate enough for any new Rush material". 

I will not be attending this tour purely out of principle, nor will I purchase anything Rush-related.  I'm completely sickened of what they've become. Frankly, they can kiss my ass...all three of them.

There is no way that ticket prices can remain the same. Like every business, the band's costs continue to increase year after year (even in the bad economy). Contrary to what you may think, I don't think that the guys have become greedy bastards. They're simply trying to run a business, pay the bills, and make it worth their while - just like EVERY other business does. You can't really fault them for that... can you?

Regardless, you're entitled to your opinion and to sit out this tour. However, I doubt that ticket prices for the next tour will be any less expensive. confused13.gif

QUOTE (FOH Lights @ Apr 12 2010, 10:46 AM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 12 2010, 09:12 AM)
I guess it really is the cash-grab tour...I was right all along.  I'm so disappointed Alex, Neil and Geddy would actually sink to this level...they've really morphed into greedy bastards.  "Let's raise the ticket prices to counter the drop in album revenues. Stick it into the ass of the stupid fans. They're certainly gullible and pathetically desperate enough for any new Rush material". 

I will not be attending this tour purely out of principle, nor will I purchase anything Rush-related.  I'm completely sickened of what they've become. Frankly, they can kiss my ass...all three of them.

There is no way that ticket prices can remain the same. Like every business, the band's costs continue to increase year after year (even in the bad economy). Contrary to what you may think, I don't think that the guys have become greedy bastards. They're simply trying to run a business, pay the bills, and make it worth their while - just like EVERY other business does. You can't really fault them for that... can you?

Regardless, you're entitled to your opinion and to sit out this tour. However, I doubt that ticket prices for the next tour will be any less expensive. confused13.gif

No, it won't be less, but how much MORE will it be? I think if it kept up with normal inflation that'd be one thing and a reasonable thing at that, but I saw a calculation on this site about what tickets cost relative to cost of living 25 years ago...and that that "skew" for concert tickets is something like 3-times the rate of inflation or some number like that. Might be more than that. That's hard to justify unless you can really afford it. Lots of people can't but still go anyhow by allowing themselves to make rash and stupid choices for the sake of "dealing with it later." I know that's no one's fault but their own, but it doesn't change the fact that it's pushing that bubble....which will eventually burst. I think if concerts were more affordable, more people could reasonably afford it and more tickets would be sold too.

Perpetuating ticket price inflation is the notion that album sales don't earn bands jack shit anymore, whereas they used to account for more. Now if you don't tour, you don't make money. At one time bands made decent money from each. That's just an organic shift in the industry, but one that unfortunately leads to ticket prices that not only have never been higher, but also never higher relative to what people make. That is the key factor.

It is pretty simple. If the prices are too high, the venues will be empty. If they are full, the prices were right and maybe, gasp, too low. Supply and demand. I guess I am a capitalist, but the thought, as reflected by some, that a Rush ticket should be somehow less than the "going price", for some idealistic reason, doesn't make any sense to me. My first Rush ticket cost me $8.00. I will go see them in Toronto on this tour. People were paying a scalper I know, up to $1000 a seat this year, for a regular season hockey game between the Leafs and Canadiens. The lowly Leafs play over 40 games a year. Rush will come to town twice in a several year period. $150 or whatever I end up paying seems like a bargain to me. Unfortunately some fans won't be able to afford the show. That's life. There are many things I wish I could have, but unfortunately I cannot afford them. That's my life and I don't waste much time complaining about it.

It's an outrage. They are looking for retirement money, it seems. This is criminal. Pittsburgh is not on sale yet but i looked at Chi-town and it's $125 for pavillion. Why??? I feel Punkd that I'm willing to reach that deep into my pockets. ESPECIALLY since they are not coming to Detroit after all the years of dedication and support we've given those cats! fing.gif

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Apr 12 2010, 10:18 AM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 12 2010, 10:23 AM)
QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Apr 12 2010, 09:19 AM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 12 2010, 10:12 AM)
I guess it really is the cash-grab tour...I was right all along.  I'm so disappointed Alex, Neil and Geddy would actually sink to this level...they've really morphed into becoming greedy bastards.  "Let's raise the ticket prices to counter the drop in album revenues. Stick it into the ass of the stupid fans. They're gullible and pathetically desperate enough for any new Rush material". 

I will not be attending this tour purely out of principle, nor will I purchase anything Rush-related.  I'm completely sickened of what they've become. Quite frankly, they can kiss my ass...all three of them.

Does this mean you'll quit TRF and go hang out at the White Stripes forum instead and let all those people enjoy all your lovely and witty comments instead?

Is this your attempt at humor or wit?

No.

It was wishful thinking. I hope you either *finally* stop your incessant Rush bashing here or GTFO and go find something better to do. Everyone is entitled to their opinion but you cross the respect line on the topic that this entire forum is dedicated too. Your stupid comments reflect poorly on us all.

My comments are far from stupid. Perhaps you fail to see the truth in them.

QUOTE (Syrinx @ Apr 12 2010, 10:54 AM)
It is pretty simple.  If the prices are too high, the venues will be empty.  If they are full, the prices were right and maybe, gasp, too low.  Supply and demand.  I guess I am a capitalist, but the thought, as reflected by some, that a Rush ticket should be somehow less than the "going price", for some idealistic reason, doesn't make any sense to me.  My first Rush ticket cost me $8.00.  I will go see them in Toronto on this tour.  People were paying a scalper I know, up to $1000 a seat this year, for a regular season hockey game between the Leafs and Canadiens.  The lowly Leafs play over 40 games a year.  Rush will come to town twice in a several year period.  $150 or whatever I end up paying seems like a bargain to me.  Unfortunately some fans won't be able to afford the show.  That's life.  There are many things I wish I could have, but unfortunately I cannot afford them.  That's my life and I don't waste much time complaining about it.

I think there's a left out middle ground between full and empty arenas...and too high vs maybe too low ticket prices.

I don't think there's anything "too low" about today's ticket prices. Do you really?

laugh.gif

I Think I'm Going Broke Tour?

Losta Something for Almost Nothing Tour?

The Greed Within Tour?

My list of demands at these prices: laugh.gif

- Play Camera Eye and a good part of Hemi

- NO Roll the Bones or more than 2 songs from S&A.

If it's the same old setlist or too much S&A I might skip it, I skipped the 2nd leg of the S&A tour...no biggie..

Unfortunately I don't like to read the spoiler setlists ahead of time (please put that in your Title if you are a Spoiler) so I'm kinda torn.

Edited by jdouglas

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 12 2010, 10:22 AM)
its always in their best interest to have you pay more than you can afford. I am not justifying the prices but they are what they are.

My guess is they know this tour will attract more people than the average tour and are comfortable bumping up the price accordingly to reflect that.

Yeah, I realize that.

I'm of the business opinion you offer a better price and more people go rather than you jack it to the ceiling of what you think you'll get....and hope you've not pushed too far. But then again I'm not a businessman either....admitedly. tongue.gif So me = shitty business model I'm sure. People love a deal...and deals sell well. You price it to where only the (relative) elite and the insanely stupid (those in serious hock) make up the vast majority of the attendees and mid-grade folks with families don't get to go. That seems skewed and weird to me....even if it reads well in the books. The books don't care how stressed that model is or becomes...does it? Just bottom line.

I don't mean to offend anyone...and I realize there are folks other than this group who fit into this. I just think the system is pushing the limits to the max and the degree to which it "works" is one that's functional but twisted and distorted functional.

One day we'll see a ceiling on football ticket prices and concerts. Like all other bubbles, this one will burst too. I'm actually a bit shocked it hasn't happened yet, but when it does, it'll be sudden I suspect.

goodpost.gif I agree with much of what you said. its kinda "Between how it is and how it ought to be" situation.

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 12 2010, 08:12 AM)
QUOTE (jesterhud @ Apr 12 2010, 04:36 AM)
QUOTE (Earthshine @ Apr 12 2010, 02:54 AM)
QUOTE (jesterhud @ Apr 12 2010, 02:51 AM)
The band dont set the prices, its nothing to do with them, what do you think they sit round a table and discuss how much they think people can afford and then jack it up a bit ??

Well, I guarantee they won't play for under a certain amount of jack.

No of course not, thats just common sense, but dont blame the band for the prices

Earthshine enjoys blaming Neil Peart for everything from ticket prices to setlists to the current sorry state of network TV programming. Let's not ruin his fun.

Clearly this is why Neil avoids the fans and the media, now his whole persona makes sense, he doesnt want his ass kicked over ticket prices..

At one time the American housing market could afford to give loans to people who couldn't truly afford that either and everything was sailing along hunky dorey until the bottom dropped out. Is that what it has to come to to realize things are too high or out of whack? Can't these things be curtailed or adjusted in mid-stream so that doesn't happen, rather than push it until it does and then have to worry about??

We're a nation/world hell bent on pushing things til they break and only then do we realize something needs to be fixed. It's like ignoring that you need an oil change. Well, if there's nothing there to indicate you need one, why get one? It's running along fine and I'm having to spend no money other than on gas....and then before you know it you've not rotated your tires, the treads are worn to nothing, your car is out of alignment, and your engine is running on black sludge. But you ignored it until your car simply wouldn't start.

Is that smart?

I'm not thrilled about dishing out serious cash BUT I love this band. I'm willing to fork over around $200. Again, not thrilled but I want to see them really close and I would give anything to at least have the opportunity to be close enough to think about getting a pick or one of those shirts they throw.

QUOTE (tangy @ Apr 12 2010, 10:57 AM)
QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 12 2010, 10:22 AM)

Yeah, I realize that.

goodpost.gif I agree with much of what you said. its kinda "Between how it is and how it ought to be" situation.

Yes. I think that's the perfect way to put it.

The appearance of function doesn't mean it's ideal or even truly working. Something maybe on its last leg doesn't mean clean bill of (economic) health. We just look at the blacks and whites and say, "Well they're selling tickets so it can't be too bad."

I don't believe that because the reality is the people and our financial situation, which says more to me than merely "9K tickets sold at $150 a pop = good price."

There's more to it if you look at more than simply the bottom line. I think it's negligence to only read bottom line. In these times it ignores too much.

Maybe 2009 was the most lucrative year EVER for concert tickets sales. i don't know this, but let's assume it didn't suck historically. When you just consider THAT it seems all is fair and good...but when you look at the context of everything ELSE (at least here in America with ridiculous unemployment) that doesn't make a lot of sense.

It suggests to me people are spending money they don't have to do these things and I don't think that that's a good indicator or all being fair and well in the entertainment market.

I don't see pricing for Rush up yet for Atlanta, but I did notice the Rush is far from the only band with seemingly unreal prices this year.

For example, that aging alcoholic Jimmy Buffet, who hasn't had a hit in 25 years, has some pretty stiff pricing which looks about on par for what Rush tix are going to go for.

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Apr 12 2010, 10:57 AM)
laugh.gif

The Greed Within Tour?

My list of demands at these prices: laugh.gif

If it's the same old setlist or too much S&A I might skip it, I skipped the 2nd leg of the S&A tour...no biggie..
Unfortunately I don't like to read the spoiler setlists ahead of time (please put that in your Title if you are a Spoiler) so I'm kinda torn.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 12 2010, 11:12 AM)
I don't see pricing for Rush up yet for Atlanta, but I did notice the Rush is far from the only band with seemingly unreal prices this year.

For example, that aging alcoholic Jimmy Buffet, who hasn't had a hit in 25 years, has some pretty stiff pricing which looks about on par for what Rush tix are going to go for.

No, it's true. It's all relative. Such and such is fetching $135 and so can we. It's self-perpetuating for sure.

Since albums don't sell shit, this doesn't help. Artists actually used to make money not just on touring, but now that end is financially dead...and it's all about touring and merch.

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Apr 12 2010, 12:13 PM)
QUOTE (jdouglas @ Apr 12 2010, 10:57 AM)
laugh.gif

The Greed Within Tour?

My list of demands at these prices:  laugh.gif

goodpost.gif

Well, if you don't like knowing the setlist ahead of time then how are you going to know if it's the "same old setlist" or if there's "too much S&A"?

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 12 2010, 11:15 AM)

Since albums don't sell shit, this doesn't help. Artists actually used to make money not just on touring, but now that end is financially dead...and it's all about touring and merch.

And it has been for quite awhile . Very sad

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 12 2010, 11:13 AM)
I'd like to see what ticket prices were every year over the past 30 years...can someone shed some light on this?  Feels like pricing has increased in a logarithmic fashion.

Depends on area, but I spent about $12.50 to see Kiss in 1983 and that didn't change a whole lot through 1988, where it was maybe $15.50. Didn't see them again until '96 and paid about $65 for a floor seat..which was the age of reunion tours and marked a BIG jump. By '01 that was about $85. Now in '10 that floor seat is around $125, so double what it was in '96. So from 1983 to 2010 (27 years) I've witnessed with that band an icrease of about 10X what they used to charge for tickets. That's probably about average, give or take. That also doesn't take into account the block out for VIP seating, which really skews availability and f*cks up the average per price of ticket considering what's available. There was no $1,500 package for 5th row and a polaroid with the band. That's a great money maker as well.

I'm guessing from the mid-70s to '90 that price jumped from about $7-9 per ticket to around $20-25 or so. From '90 to '10 from around $25 to $125.

QUOTE (tangy @ Apr 12 2010, 12:19 PM)
well, if nothing else the price of beer at these venues makes the ticket seem like the bargain of the year.

last show i was drinking 24 OZ pabst blue ribbons at $10 a whack.

That's pretty much the norm at any venue these days, whether music or pro sports. I refuse to patronize the concessions vendors - no hot dog, no matter how tasty, is worth $8. And the beer isn't any colder when a single cup costs as much as a six-pack and then some.