INSANE Ticket Prices

• Please log in to reply
258 replies to this topic

#41 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

Creative Writing 101

• Members
  • 10470 posts
  • Interests:Music, movies, my family....my goofy Shih Tzu.

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:56 AM

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 12 2010, 09:49 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 12 2010, 09:34 AM)
I will say this, Kiss Tickets were cheaper  than this laugh.gif

Lucky you...they weren't for me.

I spent around $175 for each ticket, and I wasn't anywhere near the stage. In fact, in a 5000 seat arena, I was sitting up on a balcony probably around 40 rows from the stage.

But hey...it was my first ever KISS concert...so I felt it was worth it.

Kiss's cheapest tickets were $25...and they had specials where you could get them for about $10 apiece on certain days.  They were up high, but still better than lawn seats.

Sponsored Post

#42 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

Creative Writing 101

• Members
  • 10470 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 09:57 AM

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 12 2010, 08:56 AM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Apr 12 2010, 09:52 AM)
Time is money.

Time Machine Tour.

tongue.gif

Good one! laugh.gif   translate:  Money Machine Tour!

There ought to be a row of ATMs on Geddy's side of the stage.  Or maybe a bank drive-thru window.

Now THAT is funny!!  

Instead of a chicken coming out to baste the birds, they have guys with sacks of cash come out and refill the ATMs.  

#43 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9395 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:00 AM

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Apr 12 2010, 09:08 AM)
Time is money.

Time Machine Tour.

tongue.gif

There ought to be a row of ATMs on Geddy's side of the stage.  Or maybe a bank drive-thru window.

laugh.gif

...and the Boys will only play the next song once 50 people swipe their cards in the machines.

biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

I guess if the market will support those prices, more power to them.

I wish tickets were cheaper ( free and gift are my two favorite words ) but Rush has worked hard to make their money over the years. I feel they paid their dues and are deserving of of a nice pay out as much if not more so than anyone else in rock music.

At least at these prices its a three hour "evening with" show and not having a opening act eat up some of the time.  

#44 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9395 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:01 AM

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 12 2010, 09:57 AM)
Time is money.

Time Machine Tour.

tongue.gif

Now THAT is funny!!  

Instead of a chicken coming out to baste the birds, they have guys with sacks of cash come out and refill the ATMs.

biggrin.gif  rofl3.gif  

#45 ghostworks

ghostworks

The God Of Pants

• Members
  • 13918 posts
  • Interests:sʇsǝɹǝʇuI

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:01 AM

Ticket prices are what they are because that's what the market will bear.

Simple as that.

For every cranky "whaah ticket prices are way too high!" Rush fan out there, there are thousands upon thousands more who aren't giving it a second thought.

Don't get me wrong - I think the prices are ridiculous. But they're only where they're at because so many will pay those exorbitant fees.

Trust me - if tickets were on sale for a few weeks and the stadiums were still only 1/4 sold, you know what? You'd see ticket prices drop through the floor.

Rush fans (casual and otherwise) are their own worst enemies.

#46 EmotionDetector

EmotionDetector

Emotion-Guy

• Members *
  • 6086 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:03 AM

rofl3.gif

Maybe they can also refill my wallet!  biggrin.gif  

#47 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

Creative Writing 101

• Members
  • 10470 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:05 AM

QUOTE (tangy @ Apr 12 2010, 10:00 AM)
Time is money.

Time Machine Tour.

tongue.gif

laugh.gif

...and the Boys will only play the next song once 50 people swipe their cards in the machines.

biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

I wish tickets were cheaper ( free and gift are my two favorite words ) but Rush has worked hard to make their money over the years. I feel they paid their dues and are deserving of of a nice pay out as much if not more so than anyone else in rock music.

At least at these prices its a three hour "evening with" show and not having a opening act eat up some of the time.

Problem Tang is the degrees to which some push that.  What the market can actually bear is pushing the very elasticity of what people can actually afford.  I mean, is the market truly 'bearing' it if people are 10K in debt and STILL decide to put those tickets on a credit card, say?  

Technically "yes," but....

And I know that's hardly everyone, but I think there's a d  i  s  t  o  r  t  e  d sense of "bearing" going on either way.  Not saying it's not fair in the most technical sense, but...

I'd love to be able to not think twice about going to shows again.  I just can't.  I have to be reasonable.  As a result I see FAR FEWER shows...and wait for DVDs or bootlegs most of the time.  My power bill is more important than seeing a band.  I think that's a lot of people, but strangely those folks don't show up when you consider those who still easily afford it and those who really can't but go anyhow.  It makes for a weird sense of balance that's not true in my opinion.  8K tickets sold is 8K tickets, but that doesn't mean that things aren't still out of whack.

Edited by Presto-digitation, 12 April 2010 - 10:11 AM.

#48 GeminiRising79

GeminiRising79

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2707 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:06 AM

Time is money.

Time Machine Tour.

tongue.gif

Now THAT is funny!!  

And call it the "Fans Under Pressure" tour

Edited by GeminiRising79, 12 April 2010 - 10:08 AM.

#49 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

Creative Writing 101

• Members
  • 10470 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:13 AM

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 12 2010, 10:06 AM)
Time is money.

Time Machine Tour.

tongue.gif

Now THAT is funny!!  

And call it the "Fans Under Pressure" tour

Caress Of Plastic Tour

Test For Insufficient Funds Tour

A Farewell To Credit Tour

#50 tangy

tangy

The Great Progholio

• Members
  • 9395 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:17 AM

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Apr 12 2010, 10:05 AM)
QUOTE (tangy @ Apr 12 2010, 10:00 AM)
Time is money.

Time Machine Tour.

tongue.gif

laugh.gif

biggrin.gif

laugh.gif

Problem Tang is the degrees to which some push that.  What the market can actually bear is pushing the very elasticity of what people can actually afford.  I mean, is the market truly 'bearing' it if people are 10K in debt and STILL decide to put those tickets on a credit card, say?  

Technically "yes," but....

And I know that's hardly everyone, but I think there's a d  i  s  t  o  r  t  e  d sense of "bearing" going on.

its always in their best interest to have you pay more than you can afford. I am not justifying the prices but they are what they are.

My guess is they know this tour will attract more people than the average tour and are comfortable bumping up the price accordingly to reflect that.

it sucks as for us as fans but its a sound business decision for them.  

#51 Godeater2112

Godeater2112

Th..th..THAT'S IT™ folks!!!

• Members
  • 11536 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:18 AM

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 12 2010, 10:23 AM)
QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Apr 12 2010, 09:19 AM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 12 2010, 10:12 AM)
I guess it really is the cash-grab tour...I was right all along.  I'm so disappointed Alex, Neil and Geddy would actually sink to this level...they've really morphed into becoming greedy bastards.  "Let's raise the ticket prices to counter the drop in album revenues. Stick it into the ass of the stupid fans. They're gullible and pathetically desperate enough for any new Rush material". 

I will not be attending this tour purely out of principle, nor will I purchase anything Rush-related.  I'm completely sickened of what they've become. Quite frankly, they can kiss my ass...all three of them.

Does this mean you'll quit TRF and go hang out at the White Stripes forum instead and let all those people enjoy all your lovely and witty comments instead?

Is this your attempt at humor or wit?

No.  

It was wishful thinking.  I hope you either *finally* stop your incessant Rush bashing here or GTFO and go find something better to do.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion but you cross the respect line on the topic that this entire forum is dedicated too.  Your stupid comments reflect poorly on us all.

Edited by Godeater2112, 12 April 2010 - 10:19 AM.

#52 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

Creative Writing 101

• Members
  • 10470 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:22 AM

its always in their best interest to have you pay more than you can afford. I am not justifying the prices but they are what they are.

My guess is they know this tour will attract more people than the average tour and are comfortable bumping up the price accordingly to reflect that.

it sucks as for us as fans but its a sound business decision for them.

Yeah, I realize that.

I'm of the business opinion you offer a better price and more people go rather than you jack it to the ceiling of what you think you'll get....and hope you've not pushed too far.  But then again I'm not a businessman either....admitedly.   tongue.gif  So me = shitty business model I'm sure.  People love a deal...and deals sell well.  You price it to where only the (relative) elite and the insanely stupid (those in serious hock) make up the vast majority of the attendees and mid-grade folks with families don't get to go.  That seems skewed and weird to me....even if it reads well in the books.  The books don't care how stressed that model is or becomes...does it?  Just bottom line.

I don't mean to offend anyone...and I realize there are folks other than this group who fit into this.  I just think the system is pushing the limits to the max and the degree to which it "works" is one that's functional but twisted and distorted functional.

One day we'll see a ceiling on football ticket prices and concerts.  Like all other bubbles, this one will burst too.  I'm actually a bit shocked it hasn't happened yet, but when it does, it'll be sudden I suspect.

Edited by Presto-digitation, 12 April 2010 - 10:24 AM.

#53 Ya_Big_Tree

Ya_Big_Tree

"I'm your ch-ch-cherry bomb!"

• Members *
  • 14818 posts
  • Interests:Anything that I find interesting obviously interests me.

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:23 AM

No word yet on Toronto ticket sales from TicketBastard. But I imagine they aren't gonna be cheap.  

#54 FOH Lights

FOH Lights

The Seeker

• Members
  • 450 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:46 AM

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 12 2010, 09:12 AM)
I guess it really is the cash-grab tour...I was right all along.  I'm so disappointed Alex, Neil and Geddy would actually sink to this level...they've really morphed into greedy bastards.  "Let's raise the ticket prices to counter the drop in album revenues. Stick it into the ass of the stupid fans. They're certainly gullible and pathetically desperate enough for any new Rush material". 

I will not be attending this tour purely out of principle, nor will I purchase anything Rush-related.  I'm completely sickened of what they've become. Frankly, they can kiss my ass...all three of them.

There is no way that ticket prices can remain the same. Like every business, the band's costs continue to increase year after year (even in the bad economy). Contrary to what you may think, I don't think that the guys have become greedy bastards. They're simply trying to run a business, pay the bills, and make it worth their while - just like EVERY other business does. You can't really fault them for that... can you?

Regardless, you're entitled to your opinion and to sit out this tour. However, I doubt that ticket prices for the next tour will be any less expensive. confused13.gif  

#55 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

Creative Writing 101

• Members
  • 10470 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:52 AM

QUOTE (FOH Lights @ Apr 12 2010, 10:46 AM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 12 2010, 09:12 AM)
I guess it really is the cash-grab tour...I was right all along.  I'm so disappointed Alex, Neil and Geddy would actually sink to this level...they've really morphed into greedy bastards.  "Let's raise the ticket prices to counter the drop in album revenues. Stick it into the ass of the stupid fans. They're certainly gullible and pathetically desperate enough for any new Rush material". 

I will not be attending this tour purely out of principle, nor will I purchase anything Rush-related.  I'm completely sickened of what they've become. Frankly, they can kiss my ass...all three of them.

There is no way that ticket prices can remain the same. Like every business, the band's costs continue to increase year after year (even in the bad economy). Contrary to what you may think, I don't think that the guys have become greedy bastards. They're simply trying to run a business, pay the bills, and make it worth their while - just like EVERY other business does. You can't really fault them for that... can you?

Regardless, you're entitled to your opinion and to sit out this tour. However, I doubt that ticket prices for the next tour will be any less expensive. confused13.gif

No, it won't be less, but how much MORE will it be?  I think if it kept up with normal inflation that'd be one thing and a reasonable thing at that, but I saw a calculation on this site about what tickets cost relative to cost of living 25 years ago...and that that "skew" for concert tickets is something like 3-times the rate of inflation or some number like that.  Might be more than that.  That's hard to justify unless you can really afford it.  Lots of people can't but still go anyhow by allowing themselves to make rash and stupid choices for the sake of "dealing with it later."  I know that's no one's fault but their own, but it doesn't change the fact that it's pushing that bubble....which will eventually burst.  I think if concerts were more affordable, more people could reasonably afford it and more tickets would be sold too.  

Perpetuating ticket price inflation is the notion that album sales don't earn bands jack shit anymore, whereas they used to account for more.  Now if you don't tour, you don't make money.  At one time bands made decent money from each.  That's just an organic shift in the industry, but one that unfortunately leads to ticket prices that not only have never been higher, but also never higher relative to what people make.  That is the key factor.

Edited by Presto-digitation, 12 April 2010 - 10:54 AM.

#56 Syrinx

Syrinx

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1893 posts
  • Interests:Dallas Cowboys!

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:54 AM

It is pretty simple.  If the prices are too high, the venues will be empty.  If they are full, the prices were right and maybe, gasp, too low.  Supply and demand.  I guess I am a capitalist, but the thought, as reflected by some, that a Rush ticket should be somehow less than the "going price", for some idealistic reason, doesn't make any sense to me.  My first Rush ticket cost me $8.00.  I will go see them in Toronto on this tour.  People were paying a scalper I know, up to $1000 a seat this year, for a regular season hockey game between the Leafs and Canadiens.  The lowly Leafs play over 40 games a year.  Rush will come to town twice in a several year period.  $150 or whatever I end up paying seems like a bargain to me.  Unfortunately some fans won't be able to afford the show.  That's life.  There are many things I wish I could have, but unfortunately I cannot afford them.  That's my life and I don't waste much time complaining about it.

#57 the masked drummer

the masked drummer

The Professor

• Members
  • 3219 posts
  • Interests:Drumming, 3-wheelers, boating, camping, snowmobiling, minibike riding, movies, video-games...

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:54 AM

It's an outrage. They are looking for retirement money, it seems. This is criminal. Pittsburgh is not on sale yet but i looked at Chi-town and it's $125 for pavillion.  Why???  I feel Punkd that I'm willing to reach that deep into my pockets. ESPECIALLY since they are not coming to Detroit after all the years of dedication and support we've given those cats! fing.gif  

#58 GeminiRising79

GeminiRising79

Solar Federalist

• Members
  • 2707 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Apr 12 2010, 10:18 AM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 12 2010, 10:23 AM)
QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Apr 12 2010, 09:19 AM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 12 2010, 10:12 AM)
I guess it really is the cash-grab tour...I was right all along.  I'm so disappointed Alex, Neil and Geddy would actually sink to this level...they've really morphed into becoming greedy bastards.  "Let's raise the ticket prices to counter the drop in album revenues. Stick it into the ass of the stupid fans. They're gullible and pathetically desperate enough for any new Rush material". 

I will not be attending this tour purely out of principle, nor will I purchase anything Rush-related.  I'm completely sickened of what they've become. Quite frankly, they can kiss my ass...all three of them.

Does this mean you'll quit TRF and go hang out at the White Stripes forum instead and let all those people enjoy all your lovely and witty comments instead?

Is this your attempt at humor or wit?

No.  

It was wishful thinking.  I hope you either *finally* stop your incessant Rush bashing here or GTFO and go find something better to do.  Everyone is entitled to their opinion but you cross the respect line on the topic that this entire forum is dedicated too.  Your stupid comments reflect poorly on us all.

My comments are far from stupid. Perhaps you fail to see the truth in them.

#59 Presto-digitation

Presto-digitation

Creative Writing 101

• Members
  • 10470 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:56 AM

QUOTE (Syrinx @ Apr 12 2010, 10:54 AM)
It is pretty simple.  If the prices are too high, the venues will be empty.  If they are full, the prices were right and maybe, gasp, too low.  Supply and demand.  I guess I am a capitalist, but the thought, as reflected by some, that a Rush ticket should be somehow less than the "going price", for some idealistic reason, doesn't make any sense to me.  My first Rush ticket cost me $8.00.  I will go see them in Toronto on this tour.  People were paying a scalper I know, up to $1000 a seat this year, for a regular season hockey game between the Leafs and Canadiens.  The lowly Leafs play over 40 games a year.  Rush will come to town twice in a several year period.  $150 or whatever I end up paying seems like a bargain to me.  Unfortunately some fans won't be able to afford the show.  That's life.  There are many things I wish I could have, but unfortunately I cannot afford them.  That's my life and I don't waste much time complaining about it.

I think there's a left out middle ground between full and empty arenas...and too high vs maybe too low ticket prices.

I don't think there's anything "too low" about today's ticket prices.  Do you really?

Edited by Presto-digitation, 12 April 2010 - 10:57 AM.

#60 jdouglas

jdouglas

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 769 posts

Posted 12 April 2010 - 10:57 AM

laugh.gif

I Think I'm Going Broke Tour?

Losta Something for Almost Nothing Tour?

The Greed Within Tour?

My list of demands at these prices:  laugh.gif
- Play Camera Eye and a good part of Hemi
- NO Roll the Bones or more than 2 songs from S&A.

If it's the same old setlist or too much S&A I might skip it, I skipped the 2nd leg of the S&A tour...no biggie..
Unfortunately I don't like to read the spoiler setlists ahead of time (please put that in your Title if you are a Spoiler) so I'm kinda torn.  

Edited by jdouglas, 12 April 2010 - 11:06 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users