INSANE Ticket Prices

Echoes

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Lets all keep in mind that Rush does not set there ticket prices. That's not one of there tasks.

I have the ways and means to go, however I will be sitting out this time around due to the huge increase in ticket prices. 2008 tix in Jax were $85/ea for floor. This year WPB tix are $154/ea for floor. That's before TM's fees. A 100% increase without a 100% increase in talent / material does not justify it. Besides, Rush will release a DVD / CD documenting this tour as another stab at beefing up the 401k. And like always, the DVD will be an accurate representation of the show. I may change my mind later if Rush fever sets in, time (machine) will tell...................

QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Apr 13 2010, 03:29 PM)
Touring may be how bands make a living these days, but regardless I'll still be working more hours than them every day doing something I hate and they'll be making thousands of dollars every night for 3 hours of playing music...which is fun. So charging $250 a ticket is damn unreasonable when they make more money off of 2 tickets (out of thousands) than I make in a month of hard work. It's just not right, even if you are Rush. With those ticket prices, you can tell they have forgotten what the song 'Working Man' means now.

I disagree and I think you're a bit misguided here. You appear to be looking at this as the band playing for 3 hours and getting a boatload of money based from very high ticket prices.

Well I'm sure quite a bit goes into producing those 3 hours of entertainment that we've, I've come to love now for some 40+ shows. The endless amount of hours it takes to get the precision musicmanship to get this concert/tour to jell smoothly through soundcheck. The expenses involved management to handle the hiring of road crew, production equipment, securing concert venues, trucking etc etc. I'm sure there's plenty of expenses others could mention that I haven't.

It's never ending and just the simple life of being away from home for months on end. It's no easy life i did it once for 9 days touring with Michael Franti ad Spearhead and after 5 days on the bus i don't know how these guys do it for 7-8 months a year. However it's the life that they have chosen and the price of a ticket is what it is. I realize the prices are high too but when it comes to my favorite band i'm willing to make an exception even in these hard times for all of us.

Two years ago my fiance bought me 2 tickets for $160 EACH to The Who for my birthday. I thanked her but I was furious she spent that much money for concert tickets. I like The Who but NOT that much and it wasn't like we were in the front row, nice seats lower deck on the side and Roger with a hoarse throat in Hollywood Florida. Now if this was 2.gif I wouldn't have a problem with this at all, I've never paid over $80 for a ticket but I'm willing to pay more if I have to.

Peace

QUOTE (upstateNYfan @ Apr 13 2010, 05:58 PM)
Tick,

They might not set the prices, but they definitely approve them. I don't know why this is hard to understand or is offensive to fans.

Excellence always comes at a price.

And with Rush, you're just shy of 100% guaranteed to get your money's worth. You cannot say same about too many bands.

EDIT

Seriously, I can understand that prices will cause some to pass this time. It's all about supply and demand.

However, Rush will probably be retired from touring five or ten years from now. I would feel pretty lame if I passed on their last couple of tours over a $160 versus $80 ticket price.

Edited by PariahDog

QUOTE (upstateNYfan @ Apr 13 2010, 05:58 PM)
Tick,

They might not set the prices, but they definitely approve them. I don't know why this is hard to understand or is offensive to fans.

Excellence always comes at a price.

Blah blah blah...

Rush better hope there high prices don't f**k them up the ass when they tour in 2011. Maybe you have a deep reservoir of cash to go to shows with but some of us are not so lucky at this time.

QUOTE (upstateNYfan @ Apr 13 2010, 06:19 PM)
Tick,

Come on. They're not screwing anyone. In any way.

Save a bit each week and buy a seat at the venue.

I will see what happens. Luckily for me I have seen the band nearly 40 times in the last 30 years so I'm well ahead of the curve. atickhum.gif

Pariahdog- "Maybe all the high-price boycotters can get together and have a big b1tchfest the night Rush plays their town?"

Dude, that's not nice. Some people are less fortunate and just can't afford to go. I know I'll be working hard and saving lots just so I can go. I'm glad you can afford to go with (seemingly) no problem or worries of costs, but for some people its just not as easy. Be considerate.

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Apr 12 2010, 06:38 PM)
see i don't feel like i need to be up close so i'm not sweating it.

yes.gif Same here.

I'm planning on seeing them at the ACC and I'm willing to pay around $100 for my ticket. I figure that should get me a fairly good seat. And now, since we finally got high speed internet, the whole online ticket buying process is much less nerve racking yes.gif No more worries about the page freezing just at the time is about to run out and it no longer takes say 4 min and 45 seconds to load a page which leaves around 15 seconds to fill in ALL of your information. I still get rather tense when buying tickets, but it's nothing compared to the old days tongue.gif I also plan on catching them at the NY State Fair, and I believe tickets are only $65 for that show. So maybe I'll spend a bit more for the ACC show, I will have to see. Either way, although having a seat up close would be nice, it's not a huge deal. I mean as long as I'm not so far away that they could swap out the boys for cardboard cut outs and I wouldn't notice, it'll be ok.

I'm just very very excited to see them in concert again. Even more so to catch them twice on this tour. Rush is the greatest band on the face of the planet, IMO, and seeing them live, especially when they will be pulling some old tunes out of the vault, is an experience that can't be beat!

QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Apr 13 2010, 05:12 PM)
g under p, what do you mean you toured with Michael Franti?
I saw them last month with John Mayer and they put on a very entertaining show.

I saw him when they came to DC with Mayer. Mayer was a cool guy backstage as I hung out in his dressing room for awhile. The guy had too many BEAUTIFUL women back there, i left and hung out in Micheal and the band's dressing room till the venue kicked us out near 1:30 in the morning.

Oh Michael and I are friends and back in 2004 my friends and I hung out with Michael as he toured with Ziggy Marley for six dates in 9 days on his bus and caravan. Man that's one hard llife as you get so tired in the bus bunkbeds and after awhile I couldn't tell what city I was in. It becomes a blurry, hazy world but lots of fun at the same time.

Hung with them in London, Belgium and France that same year can't get enough of that band too.

Peace

QUOTE (g under p @ Apr 13 2010, 05:02 PM)

Well I'm sure quite a bit goes into producing those 3 hours of entertainment that we've, I've come to love now for some 40+ shows. The endless amount of hours it takes to get the precision musicmanship to get this concert/tour to jell smoothly through soundcheck. The expenses involved management to handle the hiring of road crew, production equipment, securing concert venues, trucking etc etc. I'm sure there's plenty of expenses others could mention that I haven't.

They had those exact same expenses on the last two tours and tickets were reasonable which were only two years ago...what has changed to justify the huge jump in ticket prices other than the fact that most of the people who are going to attend the show actually have LESS to spend than they did a couple of years ago.

QUOTE (Some Half-Forgotten Stranger @ Apr 13 2010, 07:18 PM)

They had those exact same expenses on the last two tours and tickets were reasonable which were only two years ago...what has changed to justify the huge jump in ticket prices other than the fact that most of the people who are going to attend the show actually have LESS to spend than they did a couple of years ago.

Yes it's true we ALL have less to spend including myself. However, in those two years has the expense for the band and production gotten any less? I seriously doubt that those expenses has lessened. This is a complicated issue with many variables we make the decision that's best for you under these circumstances of high prices for a concert ticket.

*Should I stay or Should I go*

Peace

QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Apr 13 2010, 05:38 PM)
Dude, that's not nice. Some people are less fortunate and just can't afford to go. I know I'll be working hard and saving lots just so I can go. I'm glad you can afford to go with (seemingly) no problem or worries of costs, but for some people its just not as easy. Be considerate.

Comment removed. doh.gif

No worries, Rush will be retired in a few years and then folks won't have to be victimized by their high ticket prices. cool.gif

Edited by PariahDog

QUOTE (Lerxster @ Apr 14 2010, 07:40 AM)
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii282/Lerxster/crazyeddie.gif

(Has somebody posted this yet? I don't have time to go through all 13 insane pages. trink39.gif)

Crazy Eddie! I bought my home theater from him. Awesome Deal! lol

That dude made millions by fluffing his inventory, fooling stockpayers into believing value was skyrocketing.... tongue.gif

QUOTE (g under p @ Apr 13 2010, 07:57 PM)
QUOTE (Some Half-Forgotten Stranger @ Apr 13 2010, 07:18 PM)

Yes it's true we ALL have less to spend including myself. However, in those two years has the expense for the band and production gotten any less? I seriously doubt that those expenses has lessened. This is a complicated issue with many variables we make the decision that's best for you under these circumstances of high prices for a concert ticket.

*Should I stay or Should I go*

Peace

No, their expenses go up with inflation too. Problem is that concert ticket prices exceed normal inflationary rates and that's a fact. "Inflation" calculators show ticket prices should be at about $50-$60 right now for a floor seat.

Truth told it's generally a shitty time in this country, economically and that's where the complaining comes from...and everyone knows this, regardless of how well or poorly you are doing as an individual. I know many people who have been out of work for between 1 and 2 years now...and not just one person but many people. Chances are you do as well.

It's increased prices at a bad time as well....and I think people have the right to complain or at least voice criticism.

If it had bumped to $500 a ticket, would that not warrant some raised eyebrows? Or would you just sarcastically come back with "well pretty soon Rush won't be touring anymore and you don't have to be 'bothered' with their raping you"...? I mean, just because that bump may not be appreciable or mean little to you (as an individual...and meaning no one specifically here), doesn't mean it's not HUGE to someone else who'd love to go if prices weren't ballooning. That's not whining...it's legit. Show a little f@cking compassion.

Whining is when you win tickets on the radio, but aren't sure if it's worth it to you to drive an hour on a weeknight because you know the traffic is bad...and....

Edited by Presto-digitation

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Apr 14 2010, 02:58 AM)
QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Apr 13 2010, 05:38 PM)

Comment removed. doh.gif

No worries, Rush will be retired in a few years and then folks won't have to be victimized by their high ticket prices. cool.gif

goodpost.gif

In 4 or 5 years when they stop touring, I agree that we will no longer have to be vicitms of increasing ticket prices... you will just never be able to see them live again. Problem solved. But not a good solution.

Another edit... I have friends that this will be a difficult and expensive concert to afford. Tough economic times bring tough choices between needs and wants. Not so many beers, and no concert shirts, share a ride to avoid parking costs, etc...

Edited by duntov1966

Just because we love the band and are willing to be bent over and raped hardcore, doesn't mean we don't have the right to b!tch about the unreasonably high prices. As consumers, we not only have the right to stop buying, but as Americans we are free to express our opinions. It may only be for a limited time, but for now we have freedom of speech.

Hypothetical Quote: "WTF, fans are buying tickets from StubHub and other scalpers for INSANE prices" "As they are willing to pay, lets try to cut the scalpers out and have the money go to the band and promoter instead of the scalpers".

Times have changed . . . . people sit at home and purchase tickets from venues all over the US for the sole purpose of consigning them to scalpers to make money.

I believe . . . . . the purpose of the pre sales and semi surprise pre-pre sales is to give the fans a way to pay about 1/2 of what these tickets would sell for on Stub Hub etc.

Unless we go back to standing in lines and do away with internet sales this is not going to change.

Edited by CountFloyd