INSANE Ticket Prices

Echoes

• Replies 258
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (upstateNYfan @ Apr 13 2010, 02:10 PM)
Trenken,

Really? Why do you allow yourself to be "robbed?" No one is forcing you to do anything. Stay at home then.

DMB appeals more to high school and college kids who just want to get wasted. Different audience, different band. It's not about being "bigger," it's about demographics. Chevy is "bigger" than Aston Martin.

Sounds like sour grapes to me...

I'm inclined to agree. Every post is a complaint. I've had my share but I'm basically over it. I'm going, it's worth it, and I'm not spending more than I can afford.

Either bend over and take it - and no one said you couldn't whine a little about pricing - or don't go. The "Rush sucks because they want to make money from touring" threads are getting old.

Oh - and you couldn't pay me to see the Dave Matthews Band. They have two songs - the slow one and the up-tempo one.

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 13 2010, 01:05 PM)
QUOTE (SlackJaw Gazer @ Apr 13 2010, 12:37 PM)
For 2 Row 15 Tix at Red Rocks

$221.00 USD Tix
$3.50 USD Shipping
$24.40 USD Service Fee
$248.90 USD Total

Thats criminal. No wonder neil bought an aston martin after that tour. They're robbing us, and we're willing to pay it.

I saw dave matthews up front at giants stadium. Bigger place, far bigger band than rush ever was, and certainly way more popular than rush is right now, 2 tix cost me $150.

That's like comparing apples to oranges. DM is a jam band, and hardly a work of art. And what does popularity have to do with ticket prices? confused13.gif

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Apr 13 2010, 01:23 PM)
QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 13 2010, 01:05 PM)
QUOTE (SlackJaw Gazer @ Apr 13 2010, 12:37 PM)
For 2 Row 15 Tix at Red Rocks

$221.00 USD Tix
$3.50 USD Shipping
$24.40 USD Service Fee
$248.90 USD Total

Thats criminal. No wonder neil bought an aston martin after that tour. They're robbing us, and we're willing to pay it.

I saw dave matthews up front at giants stadium. Bigger place, far bigger band than rush ever was, and certainly way more popular than rush is right now, 2 tix cost me $150.

That's like comparing apples to oranges. DM is a jam band, and hardly a work of art. And what does popularity have to do with ticket prices? confused13.gif

And would you be happy to see Neil roll in driving a '79 Pinto stationwagon??? fing.gif

QUOTE (upstateNYfan @ Apr 13 2010, 02:45 PM)
Exactly, Mara!

It seems most just want to complain. Touring is how bands make a living (yes, even Rush).

If you think prices are too high, don't go.

The economy is shit, I don't have a job, and I'm not going to a show.

I don't like this fact but that's just the way it goes for me.

I do think tickets are overpriced this tour and that is my opinion. atickhum.gif but congrats to those who can afford it, cause they will be good.

QUOTE (tick @ Apr 13 2010, 01:56 PM)
Exactly, Mara!

It seems most just want to complain. Touring is how bands make a living (yes, even Rush).

I do think tickets are overpriced this tour and that is my opinion. atickhum.gif but congrats to those who can afford it, cause they will be good.

That sucks Dude. I hope you get a chance to make it still. trink39.gif

I am a little concerned too. With a wedding and home purchase coming in the next few months, I am a little worried to see what the cost will be for the Toronto shows! eh.gif

Exactly, Mara!

No doubt. You're always guaranteed a splendid time with Rush. Sho nuff.

LOTS OF FRONT EMPTY SEATS @ $375 PER TICKET

I WILL JUST HAVE TO SNEAK UP

BOYS HOW COULD YOU AGREE TO THIS

SCALPERS ARE NOT GOING TO TOUCH

1-15 ROWS $375

16- BACK $175!!!

Exactly, Mara!

In honor of tick and all those going thru hard times right now, I've customized my sig pic:

QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Apr 13 2010, 04:16 PM)
Exactly, Mara!

In honor of tick and all those going thru hard times right now, I've customized my sig pic:

I'm sorry, but that's funny right there.

Yeah, it really blows for tick. sad.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 13 2010, 03:21 PM)
QUOTE (the masked drummer @ Apr 13 2010, 04:16 PM)
Exactly, Mara!

I'm sorry, but that's funny right there.

Yeah, it really blows for tick. sad.gif

I took a $60,000 loss on my house when I had to sell it in 2005 (housing market crash), then my hours got cut in 2008/2009 and it's taken until just a few months ago to finally get back on my feet. I can feel for Tick and anyone else struggling right now. Detroit got hit first, but I think the "joy" is spreading now. It's just not the time for "corporate prestige pricing" on these tickets... new_thumbsdownsmileyanim.gif

Touring may be how bands make a living these days, but regardless I'll still be working more hours than them every day doing something I hate and they'll be making thousands of dollars every night for 3 hours of playing music...which is fun. So charging $250 a ticket is damn unreasonable when they make more money off of 2 tickets (out of thousands) than I make in a month of hard work. It's just not right, even if you are Rush. With those ticket prices, you can tell they have forgotten what the song 'Working Man' means now.

Tigershark,

You're wrong, unfortunately. How many times have they admitted to being lucky? Have you watched their acceptance speeches or read Neil's books? No question that if most (any) of us could charge that, we would. Further, Joe Flunky has no clue the planning and work that goes into just scheduling a tour like this, let alone the writing, practicing, etc. They are well paid, sure, but I would not call it greed.

Screw that, when my band gets famous I'm not gonna be charging my loyal fans out the ass to see songs from 30 years ago (though I love those songs dearly).

Don't get me wrong, Rush is by far my favorite band and who I worship musically. And I know that they're one of the hardest working bands in rock, but they don't NEED the money. But once again, how can you consider writing and practicing WORK? Thats one of the funnest and most rewarding things I could do with my time. I hardly consider it to be work. They also don't take into account everything that comes along with going to a concert (travel money, food, etc.). All I'm saying is they could lower the price. Is that WRONG?

Hell, I'm not even saying its Geddy's fault, or that Alex is the one pricing the tickets. But SOMEONE needs to realize that the prices are still unfair for a 3 hour show.

QUOTE (Tigershark2112 @ Apr 13 2010, 03:52 PM)
Screw that, when my band gets famous I'm not gonna be charging my loyal fans out the ass to see songs from 30 years ago (though I love those songs dearly).
Don't get me wrong, Rush is by far my favorite band and who I worship musically. And I know that they're one of the hardest working bands in rock, but they don't NEED the money. But once again, how can you consider writing and practicing WORK? Thats one of the funnest and most rewarding things I could do with my time. I hardly consider it to be work. They also don't take into account everything that comes along with going to a concert (travel money, food, etc.). All I'm saying is they could lower the price. Is that WRONG?
Hell, I'm not even saying its Geddy's fault, or that Alex is the one pricing the tickets. But SOMEONE needs to realize that the prices are still unfair for a 3 hour show.

It isn't the band's choosing, truly. And as someone said before, even if they could set the price at a reasonable $40 or so, scalpers would just buy them in great mass and jack you for them later when you couldn't find a good seat. And then the band would get less, the scalpers make more profit, and you'd still pay the same ungodly amount.

It just sucks it's so high, especially in a weak economic time in this country with double digit unemployment.

Edited by Presto-digitation

They are not unfair, because thousands willingly pay for tickets at this price. It would only be unfair if they were the only band to choose from, and in order to go to a concert we would have to see them. Part of the high price (no, they are not cheap) comes from demand, but also the level of production (a well produced show sells more).

QUOTE (upstateNYfan @ Apr 13 2010, 03:57 PM)
They are not unfair, because thousands willingly pay for tickets at this price. It would only be unfair if they were  the only band to choose from, and in order to go to a concert we would have to see them. Part of the high price (no, they are not cheap) comes from demand, but also the level of production (a well produced show sells more).

Yes...this is true too.

Now some folks here may not give two shits, but someone like Madonna, love her or hate her, puts on an elaborate show....with enormous sets, state of the art lighting, tons of support cast (dancers and what not), costumers, etc. There's a reason hers are amongst the highest prices of any artist out there (probably double Rush's ticket prices or better) and it's because of the demands of that show, artistically, visually, acoustically, etc.

Edited by Presto-digitation

Also, in hopes people will stop complaining about the prices and plan accordingly and have fun, it is a luxury to go a concert, not a necessity. Luxuries are often costly.

Lastly, the band *does* have say in the pricing. Total say? Of course not. But a lot. It's their show. They choose to use Live Nation, et. al. to streamline, market and to simplify the sales of their tickets. It's less hassle and greater profit. This way the marketer (primarily Live Nation) and the band (Rush) both win. It's a maximization of know-how and talent, which maximizes revenue.

Well I guess if its ok then I can't wait to become a famous musician. Once I've established a good fan base I'll just charge outrageous prices for tickets and make loads of money cos I know my fans will pay it no matter what!

Btw, Im being serious when I say this. I didn't realize it was so easy to get away with til I read this thread 653.gif

Hi Tigershark,

Don't forget--it's the financial success that allows the freedom to choose which musical paths one takes, to take risks, to push more. Call it "artistic integrity."

Most people don't understand this and they end up broke, miserable and disillusioned.

There is no integrity in being a starving artist, as far as I'm concerned. If you are living constantly in fear of losing power, eviction, or buying gas, it's not much of a life.

Better to "make a living" and be an "artist" on the side. This way if the latter takes off, you're golden!

Cheers.

upstatenyfan, I'm just messin' around dude.

I totally get what you're saying and was merely offering the extreme opposite as another point of view.

As much as I hate to shell out that much hard earned cash, I just have to, to go see my favorite band. Its just tough times right now, ya know?