Will Neil?

spok

Since the upcoming tour is titled "The Time Machine Tour" I wonder if Neil is going to ditch the electronic gizmo in favor of his real wood blocks, tubular bells, glockenspiel and gong?

That would be so choice.

QUOTE (spok @ Apr 11 2010, 09:34 AM)
Since the upcoming tour is titled "The Time Machine Tour" I wonder if Neil is going to ditch the electronic gizmo in favor of his real wood blocks, tubular bells, glockenspiel and gong?

That would be so choice.

If he did that they'd have to lower into his kit with a crane, but yeah that'd be cool.

laugh.gif

Yeah, I was thinking maybe he would bring back the ESL kit. Well come on at least the tubular bells for pete sake! Come on Neil, throw us a bone would ya laugh.gif

It'd be cool, but I think people are taking the Time Machine concept too far. I expect samples.

He may not even have the tubular bell setup anymore, and it's just more cost-effective to use samples, for one thing.

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 11 2010, 09:38 AM)
It'd be cool, but I think people are taking the Time Machine concept too far. I expect samples.
He may not even have the tubular bell setup anymore, and it's just more cost-effective to use samples, for one thing.

Just crush my hopes and dreams right there Mara. sad.gif

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 11 2010, 11:16 AM)
I thought this was a will neil smile thread during any of the shows, which the answer of course would be no.

I always see a smile or two out of Neil during a show.

QUOTE (Alex @ Apr 11 2010, 10:47 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 11 2010, 09:38 AM)
It'd be cool, but I think people are taking the Time Machine concept too far.  I expect samples. 

Just crush my hopes and dreams right there Mara. sad.gif

Aw, I'm sorry. hug2.gif There, there, I am sure it will still be awesome.

Edited by Mara

Neil's thoughts on having samplers, taken from the Presto tourbook:

QUOTE (Neil Peart)
You know, I was thinking about what my drum kit would look like if I had all the real instruments up there, rather than a box full of floppy disks and a couple of samplers. Picture a stage which contained (in addition to that little ol' drumset): temple blocks, orchestra bells, bell tree, glockenspiel, marimba, various African drums (including ones like 'djembe' that I don't even know what it looks like), three tympani, a full symphony orchestra, a 'beeper,' a big gong, harp, synthesizer, congas, bongos, another timbale, castanets, voice-drums (recorded drum sounds vocalized by MOI) a big huge sheet of metal, jackhammer, wood block, claves, jingled coins, my old red Tama drumkit, and Count Basie and his band.

Oh sure, it would look great alright, but honestly -- where would I put all that stuff? And where would the other two guys stand?

Yeah, you're right; I don't need those guys anyway.

laugh.gif

Edited by Show Don't Tell

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Apr 11 2010, 12:14 PM)

QUOTE (Neil Peart)
You know, I was thinking about what my drum kit would look like if I had all the real instruments up there, rather than a box full of floppy disks and a couple of samplers. Picture a stage which contained (in addition to that little ol' drumset): temple blocks, orchestra bells, bell tree, glockenspiel, marimba, various African drums (including ones like 'djembe' that I don't even know what it looks like), three tympani, a full symphony orchestra, a 'beeper,' a big gong, harp, synthesizer, congas, bongos, another timbale, castanets, voice-drums (recorded drum sounds vocalized by MOI) a big huge sheet of metal, jackhammer, wood block, claves, jingled coins, my old red Tama drumkit, and Count Basie and his band.

Oh sure, it would look great alright, but honestly -- where would I put all that stuff? And where would the other two guys stand?

laugh.gif

LOL. Its actually true.

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Apr 11 2010, 01:14 PM)

QUOTE (Neil Peart)

laugh.gif

Floppy disks? laugh.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 11 2010, 01:31 PM)
QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Apr 11 2010, 01:14 PM)

QUOTE (Neil Peart)

laugh.gif

Floppy disks? laugh.gif

It was 1989 lol

QUOTE (Show Don't Tell @ Apr 11 2010, 12:14 PM)

QUOTE (Neil Peart)

laugh.gif

What a mess that would be along with quite a bit of confusion?

QUOTE (Alex @ Apr 11 2010, 09:37 AM)
Yeah, I was thinking maybe he would bring back the ESL kit. Well come on at least the tubular bells for pete sake! Come on Neil, throw us a bone would ya  laugh.gif

He gave away the Permanent Waves / Moving Pictures /Exit...Stage Left Tama kit years ago in Modern Drummer Magazine contest along with the chrome Slingerlands and the Black Slingerlands.

I doubt he even knows where it is, much less cares.

Edited by Earthshine

Not gonna happen. Neil seems to be a creature of habit and that tells me that as much as he'd like to do something like this, the bottom line is he needs a playable kit. And having all those extras means a huge, unplayable kit.

Just be happy they're playing MP in its entirety, folks, and don't over think this time machine business.

Would be awesome for sure...but likely won't happen.

I think the setup would be too much...and as much as it would fit the whole "time machine" concept, I don't see Neil giving up his technology.

But hey, if the whole 'time machine' concept is only used on the setlist, then that's good enough for me. I'll be happy! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Apr 11 2010, 11:03 AM)
I thought this was a will neil smile thread during any of the shows, which the answer of course would be no.

When, at the end of it? laugh.gif

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Apr 12 2010, 09:33 AM)
QUOTE (Snowdog @ Apr 11 2010, 11:03 AM)

When, at the end of it? laugh.gif

rofl3.gif Yeah, 'cause he doesn't have to play for his fans anymore that night nor be in the same arena or amphitheatre as them and can look forward to a day of motorcycle riding with Michael the next day. rofl3.gif