A word of warning...

Shirley

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I first used ear plugs at an AC/DC show last year. Now I will ALWAYS wear them. I could actually hear better with them in because it cut out all the high frequencies so the sound was actually more clear. Plus no head ache or ringing ears after the show.

QUOTE (Del_Duio @ Apr 9 2010, 09:24 PM)
QUOTE (proudlyrushian @ Apr 9 2010, 08:22 PM)
QUOTE (hammerofthor @ Apr 9 2010, 07:19 PM)
What?

Rats. You beat me to it.

Oh c'mon guys, I was thinking this too but that's kind of harsh to say to somebody who's actually lost some hearing and wants to help people out.

I know. ADesignForRush wants to help people. And she's awesome for doing so. smile.gif I'm sorry for your hearing problems. sad.gif hug2.gif

I've been to or seen over 500 concerts and i KNOW I have some hearing damage. So in 2008 I decided to finally wear ear plugs especially since I was taking my now 13 year old daughter and i was warned how loud this concert was going to be. Well their DC show was by far the (((((LOUDEST))))))) concert I've been to. That's counting the 40+ 2.gif shows from Metallica to The Who to KISS etc.

I used the wax kind that basically mold to your ears and you can pick them up at CVS. I know for sure where I received my initial ear damage, when I was given front row tickets stage left for Def Leppard (Hysteria Tour) smack in front of low speakers with the sound going directly in my ear. I couldn't take it and moved to some upper deck section. My ears were ringing for days, btw that's when you KNOW you've got some ear damage.

As we get older wear the ear plugs..it's like drinking beer and knowing you can't hold it till the end of the show....ya just gotta go...so wear em.

Peace

the reason it seems louder as the show goes on is your ears defense against loud sound weakens over time.

bring earplugs. the foam ones are fine. If you happen to sit in front of the line array you are screwed. the ringing you hear after the show is the damage done to your ears.

http://www.gearslutz.com/board/remote-poss...stered-c-d.html

Gee. i wonder what loud bad mastered cd he could be refering to?

QUOTE (Solitudeix @ Apr 9 2010, 08:47 PM)
I think shows sound better with earplugs anyway. Cuts out hissy high frequencies.

Bingo. People think that earplugs drown out the music. I've found that the expanding earplugs actually make things clearer, as it takes away surrounding crowd chatter so you can really focus on the music.

Two years ago was my first real concert as an adult, and I didn't think I needed earplugs because I was pretty far back in a stadium. I was wrong. I couldn't hear anything after the concert, and couldn't really sleep for days after the concert because my head was spinning and my ears were ringing. The loudness basically set off insomnia. Glad I learned my lesson early, though.

Edited by Bukaloo

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 9 2010, 10:03 PM)

Talk to someone with tinnitus - a constant ringing in the ears for which there is no reliable treatment - and you might feel differently. 

THAT'S ME - Constant BUZZ/RING 24/7

Total Silence is now my enemy, I have to have some music on to "Cover" the ring

All to blame on ROCK CONCERTS & me.....

Now I take ear plugs to every concert for the last 20 years ( have seen 1000's of ROCK Concerts )

Don't allways need them, But when need they work Great !

If your ears "RING" after a concert, Auto Race, Gun Shooting, ECT

YOU HAVE IRREVERSABLY DAMAGED YOUR EAR DRUMS

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 9 2010, 10:00 PM)
QUOTE (Slacker @ Apr 9 2010, 09:58 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 9 2010, 09:30 PM)
QUOTE (theguyincygnusx1 @ Apr 9 2010, 09:17 PM)
Oh come on. Go see Metallica in concert and you'll know what loud is.

That is nothing. Go see Man o War . Loudest band in the Gunniess book

Louder then The Bloody f***ing Who?

Yep. I don't know where they were when they did it but yeah, They beat The Who trink39.gif

Motorhead prides themselves on being the loudest band in concert.

I have to say I saw Metallica front row right by the stage last year and I didnt wear any ear plugs... my ears did pop later on that evening and I had a ton of bruising from being crushed into the barriers but my hearing is still good. I can't wear ear plugs at shows, it just ruins the experience for me. I don't think I will be needing them at the Rush shows... MAKE IT LOUD!!! 1022.gif

Check out this interview with Porcupine Drummer Gavin Harrison. Go to 6:00 where he talks about hearing protection and hearing loss.

http://www.drumdepartment.de/content/publi...video.php?id=10

(Part one for anyone who wants to watch: http://www.drumdepartment.de/content/publi..._video.php?id=9 )

When you're young and you go see a loud concert, the ringing in your ears is gone the next morning. When you get older, the ringing doesn't go away as easily. I have ringing all the time now from years of loud concerts and playing guitar and shooting video every weekend at weddings with loud bands and DJs. I started wearing ear protection two years ago in those situations but the damage is done.

I need to educate my son on this issue. He plays guitar in a band, and I've never insisted he wear ear protection. The funny thing is that he insists that his little sisters have earplugs when they go hear him play. Now, if I can just come up with some ingenious way of getting him to protect his hearing while making him think it's HIS idea. He's almost 13. Defiance is the name of the game, apparently. So, I'll need to get creative.

Remember: going to a concert isn't a competition. No one cares if you went to 'the loudest fackin concert d00d' with your ears naked.

I've been to 1,000+ shows since my 1st (1984)

After a severely loud show turned into permanent tinnitus (too late) I've been wearing the plugs. The sound at shows are better, and the tinnitus has not progressed.

Awesome.

As has been mentioned earlier in this thread, hearing loss is a sneaky sonofabitch - it's incremental, and only really lets you know you're done in AFTER it's too late.

And that's true for everyone. Fact.

Be smart, not deaf!

QUOTE (GotRush @ Apr 10 2010, 12:22 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 9 2010, 10:03 PM)

Talk to someone with tinnitus - a constant ringing in the ears for which there is no reliable treatment - and you might feel differently. 

THAT'S ME - Constant BUZZ/RING 24/7

All to blame on ROCK CONCERTS & me.....

If your ears "RING" after a concert, Auto Race, Gun Shooting, ECT

YOU HAVE IRREVERSABLY DAMAGED YOUR EAR DRUMS

I have the same problem.

It's not from concerts only!!!!

I first noticed the ringing 15 years ago after a run of 4 Smashing Pumpkins shows and it has gotten louder and to make matters even worse, I'm often around loud tools at work and even in the past few weeks have noticed the ringing has gotten considerably louder. ohmy.gif sad.gif

I've used earplugs at shows, Hearos even but just couldn't stand that muffled sound, it didn't sound natural and now I'm suffering from it. On the second leg of S&A I used them often but he damage was done.

I was wondering if anyone was going to address this issue and am glad ADFR did applaudit.gif .

For those of you who haven't yet acquired this wonderfully annoying audio distraction, do your best to prevent it and remember it's not just from concerts and any even short period of excessive noise can be damaging to your hearing.

QUOTE (sdhonda @ Apr 10 2010, 04:51 AM)
Ya, can't hurt to bring some with ya. Even if you don't use 'em much, never hurts to bring some protection along.

I did actually bring some to a Monster Truck Rally I went to earlier this year but ended up not needing them eventhough we were so close. The only time I really wear them is to sleep to be honest. I live in a loud house and we don't have the same sleeping schedule so I need them to stay asleep at 5am when everyone else gets up cause I'm a troubled sleeper and the tiniest noise wakes me up.

I suppose when I get older I might start wearing them or if I ever joined a band.. but I've been to a ton of shows and no hearing loss as of yet. I get my ears tested pretty regularly too.

But like someone said.. this isn't a contest. smile.gif

QUOTE (ghostworks @ Apr 10 2010, 03:23 AM)
Remember: going to a concert isn't a competition. No one cares if you went to 'the loudest fackin concert d00d' with your ears naked.

I've been to 1,000+ shows since my 1st (1984)

After a severely loud show turned into permanent tinnitus (too late) I've been wearing the plugs. The sound at shows are better, and the tinnitus has not progressed.

Awesome.

As has been mentioned earlier in this thread, hearing loss is a sneaky sonofabitch - it's incremental, and only really lets you know you're done in AFTER it's too late.

And that's true for everyone. Fact.

Be smart, not deaf!

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (sdhonda @ Apr 10 2010, 04:51 AM)
Ya, can't hurt to bring some with ya. Even if you don't use 'em much, never hurts to bring some protection along.

We're still talking about concerts, right? unsure.gif

Front row last year, I kept taking them in and out. Some songs hurt me more than others. Secret touch is AWFUL to bear live IMO, esp. with the scratching at the end. ::shivers::

I always bring them and go from there. I was at an STP show years ago and security was handing them out to us -- I figured I should use them. SO glad I did; it was loud even with them in..

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Apr 10 2010, 10:50 AM)
it was loud even with them in..

Yeah. Its not so much the volume that hurts your ears all the time though. Good earplugs block out all rediculous frequencies that make your ear drums have a shit fit.

Good post, I damaged my hearing from KISS Love Gun tour, Richfield Coliseum. Fourth row center stage, for three days after could only hear voices in a low whisper tone. Very worried, my hearing did return but I do suffer from the sound of ringing in my ears once in awhile. S&A Blossom sixth row Geddy side, my wife wore ear plugs I didn't it was loud. Both of us work in factories, I work in a steel plant so high noise levels for me I'm use to.

QUOTE (hammerofthor @ Apr 9 2010, 08:27 PM)
QUOTE (theguyincygnusx1 @ Apr 9 2010, 09:23 PM)
Rush isn't that loud anyway.

Yes they are

Not in open air venues they're not. I could have casual, normal level conversation over the music with no problem in Atlanta. I wasn't front row, but I wasn't lawn either...(just to be clear).

I want to add, to go along with what Pd just posted although from were we sat for Rush S&A sixth row in pavilion at Blossom, it was loud but a comfortably loud laugh.gif and yes I could converse and hear what others were saying around me. Not possible for KISS circa 1977 enclosed Richfield Coliseum. smile.gif

Absolutely the number one killer of live "Indoor" shows is stray high frequency noise.

These very loud stray frequencies can render an entire guitar solo to nonsense while ruining your ears for the rest of concert.

Acclimation is important.

Just like a backyard astronomer has to "acclimate" his eyes to the dark before looking through a telescope, he/she is carefull not to allow any stray light to enter his eyes because it will ruin what he/she can see through the scope.

At a concert with no ear protection, after the first few songs, your ears can start ringing and ruin the sound quality of the entire concert not to mention permanently ruining your hearing.

Having a dedicated pair of concert ear plugs is essential.

Sure you can pull them out during low volume songs, but put them back in for higher volume tunes.

When I play or record drums I always have to use plugs or headphones to eliminate the high feq of the cymbals.

A few good 20" crash hits can really mess up my hearing for the rest of the gig or recording. It really does ruin the Sound quality.

Please wear decent plugs meants for concerts.

(Not the ones construction workers wear)

Those block too many freq.

HW

Rush, while not as loud as some of the other bands mentioned, are still a wee bit over the top for my taste. I'm talking morenfrom a listening perspective than a hearing damage perspective. Backing it down just a hair would work wonders for their live sound. And yes, wear earplugs to get the best sound. To me, there is almost nothing as unnaturally sounding as an overloud concert.

Loss of hearing is no joke for those who have it.

Due to a combination of birth defects, extensive surgery on both ears, and music, I now have lost about 25% of the hearing in my left ear, and 50% in my right. And this is WITH using earplugs since the early 90's. In fact, I couldn't stand the high frequencies, especially in my left ear.

I didn't even know how bad it had gotten, although it was frustrating seeing people speak at a conversational level, but not being able to hear what they were saying. Last year, I finally got the word, and as a result, I got a hearing aid--which is not cheap. I got lucky, as I was able to get it through the speech department at the university where I teach and thus only paid about $600, but normally it runs at least a grand. On the bright side, the ear mold does make for a nice sound reducer when the hearing ad is turned off.

I'm only 40, and things are certainly not going to be better, so please do yourself a favor and spend a few bucks on some type of protection for your ears--even if you don't frequent concerts that much, and even if it's only Rush (which can get quite loud live due to all of the effects their show has). You may not necessarily appreciate having your hearing when you get older, but you'll wish you had it if you lose it.