This could be the greatest tour ever

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Apr 9 2010, 01:44 AM)
Certainly not. I saw the Moving Pictures tour back in 1981. They did everything but Witch Hunt which I later saw them do. I don't get this. I really don't.

It's the zeitgeist. A lot of bands are playing their classic albums in entirety. And it's a selling point - a lot of casual fans would go see them now. I'm looking forward to it. Moving Pictures is my favorite Rush album and one of my favorite albums of all-time. I'll tell you this much, I won't listen to it until after I see them this summer.

Also, maybe we'll get a 2-disc 30th anniversary CD. Studio and live. I'd be a sucker and buy that.

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Apr 9 2010, 12:44 AM)
Certainly not. I saw the Moving Pictures tour back in 1981. They did everything but Witch Hunt which I later saw them do. I don't get this. I really don't.

I was 2 years old in 1981, so I didn't have that privilege.

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Apr 9 2010, 12:52 AM)

Cool! Then you will LOVE it! 2.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (shaun3701 @ Apr 9 2010, 12:52 AM)

and i was just a kid playing baseball in the street. i had no idea who rush was. i think olivia newton john was my favorite at the time. wacko.gif

At their age there is no way this will be their greatest tour ever, especially with the quality of geddy's voice which is pretty damn awful. Ive been to every tour since Permanent Waves and none of the tours over the last 10-15 years compare to those early 80s shows. Not even really close at all. Edited by trenken

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 9 2010, 08:39 AM)
At their age there is no way this will be their greatest tour ever, especially with the quality of geddy's voice which is pretty damn awful. Ive been to every tour since Permanent Waves and none of the tours over the last 10-15 years compare to those early 80s shows. Not even really close at all.

So if Geddy's voice is "pretty damn awful", are you going to bother to go?

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 9 2010, 07:44 AM)
At their age there is no way this will be their greatest tour ever, especially with the quality of geddy's voice which is pretty damn awful. Ive been to every tour since Permanent Waves and none of the tours over the last 10-15 years compare to those early 80s shows. Not even really close at all.

What are you nuts? Of course! I dont think the guy sounds great live but who the hell cares about that when you're there having a good time?

Im just saying quality wise, how can these guys be as good at nearly 60 as they were in their mid 20s? Geddy only plays the bass with 1 finger now, he used to play with 3 but he has tendon problems in his plucking hand.

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 9 2010, 07:39 AM)

I don't buy it...the guys have been playing at the top of their game IMO. Sure, it's one thing to say that their recent studio records don't "meet the calibre" of their earlier albums, but LIVE, I think these guys are still performing at the top of their game. Ged's voice sounds great to me.

Also, it's funny you say that. My two uncles have been going to every Rush tour since 1982, and they have mentioned countless times how the guys have never been better live than they are these days! Go figure.

QUOTE (trenken @ Apr 9 2010, 08:50 AM)

What are you nuts? Of course! I dont think the guy sounds great live but who the hell cares about that when you're there having a good time?

Im just saying quality wise, how can these guys be as good at nearly 60 as they were in their mid 20s? Geddy only plays the bass with 1 finger now, he used to play with 3 but he has tendon problems in his plucking hand.

Rarely is anyone as good at 60 as they were at 20, true. Sad fact of aging. Hell, I'm 42 and I can relate.

For this reason, sad as it is, I kind of hope this is the last hurrah for them (after 2011 tour), by their choice. I don't want to see them become a sad parody of themselves like some acts who don't know when to quit (ahemDavidLeeRothahem).

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 9 2010, 07:53 AM)
Rarely is anyone as good at 60 as they were at 20, true. Sad fact of aging. Hell, I'm 42 and I can relate.
For this reason, sad as it is, I kind of hope this is the last hurrah for them (after 2011 tour), by their choice. I don't want to see them become a sad parody of themselves like some acts who don't know when to quit (ahemDavidLeeRothahem).

Hmmm...I really don't agree with this entire assessment.

Sure, I do agree with you that I wouldn't want to see them become a "sad parody of themselves", but at the same time, I still think that they have PLENTY left in the tank.

I won't make any final judgements until I hear the next album, but to me, if S&A was any indication (sorry haters, I loved this album), then I still believe these guys may have even more than just one album left in them.

The thing with Rush is that even though they've gotten older, they have continued to produce strong records, even at this age. Also, their tours have continued to generate alot of $$$$, and they have been performing at a high level since their return in 2002.

I actually hope this is NOT their "last hurrah". I guess I'm just not concerned about them becoming a parody. I have faith in what they are doing. Why not enjoy the excellence that is RUSH for as long as we possibly can?!

Even if the level of their performances does start to deteriorate, nothing can take away the great things that they have accomplished like 2112, Moving Pictures, and Hemispheres. Honestly, the guys really have nothing left to prove (unless anyone truly cares about the RRHOF!), so why not go out and just have fun playing live, and writing music that they are truly passionate about?!

Personally, I'm all for it. But then again, I'm also very selfish! biggrin.gif

Red Barchetta is the hardest song on MP to sing and he's done a great job with it the last couple of tours. G's ability to sing MP isn't a problem.

I think there are other albums we crazies would rather see showcased but from a marketing perspective this is a really smart way to fill up the lawns. You have to figure that if anybody only owns ONE Rush album it is probably Moving Pictures. I was 15 when it came out and was already a big fan but that album was a MAINSTREAM HIT at that time. There will be plenty of people out on the lawn who have never seen Rush before but will treat this as a nostalgia show.

I think advertising Moving Pictures also gives them some freedom with the rest of the setlist-it still leaves 2 HOURS of performance time and as long as the first timers get what they came for they can dig deep with the rest of the show.

It certainly can be ONE of their best tours ever. Getting all of MP, which the rarely played camera eye and vital signs, a couple of new tunes, and a bunch of rarely-played classics (remember this is the Time Machine tour, not the Moving Pictures live tour), can end up in one of their best setlists in years.

QUOTE (mankad89 @ Apr 9 2010, 02:12 AM)
Not really.

I'm scared to think what Geddy's voice is like at this point.

You think Geddy is bad with the voice, go hear Ian.. angry.gif

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Apr 9 2010, 12:51 AM)

maybe we'll get a 2-disc 30th anniversary CD. Studio and live. I'd be a sucker and buy that.

Same here

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 9 2010, 06:53 AM)

Tull... Oh did I say that ? Hell all he has done in 10 years is tour with the same sit list damn near and no new and a voice that is very weak. Has to sing song that he can, and Geddy needs to do the same. Ian is 63 now Geddy is only 56, my age.. ROCK ON Geddy!!!

I saw this in 1981 . For me they will Never touch that tour agian. I am glad they are doing the" Time Machine " thing. Now, where does the "Time Machine " start and stop biggrin.gif

QUOTE (TullSkull @ Apr 9 2010, 09:17 AM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 9 2010, 06:53 AM)

Tull... Oh did I say that ? Hell all he has done in 10 years is tour with the same sit list damn near and no new and a voice that is very weak. Has to sing song that he can, and Geddy needs to do the same. Ian is 63 now Geddy is only 56, my age.. ROCK ON Geddy!!!

Oh wow, Ian's gotten that bad, huh? I guess it might be a good thing that the last time I saw Tull was almost 20 years ago. Even then they were catching some shit about performance quality (for the record, I had no complaints).

Hey, I have high expectations of this tour. I also have total faith that if anyone will know when it's time to quit, it's the guys in Rush. They're such perfectionists and I don't think they'd be happy with anything less than their best.

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 9 2010, 01:20 PM)
I saw this in 1981 . For me they will Never touch that tour agian. I am glad they are doing the" Time Machine " thing. Now, where does the "Time Machine " start and stop biggrin.gif

I agree - they are remarkably good for their age, but they ain't 30-something anymore.

About the parody of themselves thing, I would put Metallica in there along with AC/DC. Sure they record new material, but always have a set rammed full of their 'classics'. Like the ultimate tribute act.

I'm not a great fan of VT or S&A, but the boys are and gave it everything in pushing them forward. As it happens, I have listened to both albums more and more because it is 'fresh' Rush to me. I love Hemi, Perm, MP G/P etc but that was then and this is now. You ain't going to get 80's Rush performances.

I think what we would all like is -

A Three-Day festival of just Rush

Stage equipment from 2010

Dress Sense of late 70's

Every song played in it's entirity from "Finding My Way" and in album order

I like the fact they are doing the whole of MP and I think they will do it in sequence for the second part of the show - otherwise it would just be .. another Set List.

When they hit the UK in early 2011, they can play Hemispheres Side 1, TCE, The Fountain yada yada yada

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 9 2010, 05:53 AM)

I do agree with you Mara. I think 2010/2011 is all we will get. Just watch how many venues they are hitting that they haven't in a while. I do want them to go out on top and I believe they are trying to do just that. IMHO

IMHO- don't jump my shit people! ph34r.gif