Geddy chimes in on tour news

Mara

From RIAB:

LINK

Tuesday, March 30, 2010

Geddy Lee confirms summer Rush tour followed by new album

Posted at 7:28PM | link | comments (76)

Sandra Miller of Akron's 97.5 WONE had a brief conversation with Geddy Lee recently where Geddy confirms Rush's plans for touring/recording that were first mentioned by Alex Lifeson in a Toronto Globe and Mail interview last week. Here's what Geddy said:

We're kind of looking at a kind of a 2 year plan. A little bit of writing now, getting a couple of tracks down. Playing some songs in the summertime on tour that people are not familiar with as well as bringing back a whole range of older songs. And getting quickly back into the studio again and finishing the album and see what the impact of that is.

You can listen to the interview yourself at this link or use the player below.

Here's what Alex Lifeson had said in his Toronto Globe and Mail interview last week:

... We were off for a year and a half, and now it's just pouring. Everything is totally crazy and there's not a minute left in the day. We've got these half-dozen songs, and we'll probably go in the studio and work on a couple of them and see how it goes, perhaps release something - and I say perhaps - and then we plan on being on the road in the middle of June. Ideally, we'd like to showcase a couple of these songs on the tour, come off tour in mid-October, go back in the studio and continue writing, then record through late this year and early next year, and then release the album in the spring of 2011 on a slightly more substantial tour. This [year's] tour will probably be about 45 dates. Most likely summer, 2011, would be more like 70. ...

It's going to be a busy couple of years for Rush and their fans. Thanks to Evan for the heads up.

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 31 2010, 09:12 AM)
Playing some songs in the summertime on tour that people are not familiar with as well as bringing back a whole range of older songs.

Beautiful, best news in a long time . I can now start spending money i Don't have on tickets

QUOTE (Tarkus407 @ Mar 31 2010, 10:29 AM)
This is perfect! Pre-release performances! New album! TWO TOURS! OLDER SONGS!

yes.gif goodpost.gif

Don't get much better than that! Really looking forward to it!!!!

Sounds like a plan, man.

On the more discussion-y side of things, do you think the reasoning behind this write-tour-record plan is due to the fact money is made more from touring? I believe years ago (when I was a baby and/or not born laugh.gif) they did this so maybe not.

Just sayin'. Flame away 1022.gif

Awesome news! in fact, the best news so far this year.

Let the good times roll again 2.gif

Now why would ya toss in a grenade like that? pokey.gif

Of course part of the reasoning is money. But hey, with that strategy they can have mine for sure. I already had to pass up Iron Maiden (again) because I'm not working, and I can miss one show and hopefully I will have a real job by the time they come around the second time. Though I might put myself into hock if they are going to try out new material. Remember when bands used to do that in live shows back in the day?

Well, as Neil put it in Roadshow, they have to tour to promote their music themselves and get it out there, because no one else is going to.

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 31 2010, 08:43 PM)
Well, as Neil put it in Roadshow, they have to tour to promote their music themselves and get it out there, because no one else is going to.

Makes a whole lot of sense, since most critics are arseholes when it comes to Rush, anyway... confused13.gif

Another thing, touring has *always* garnered a band more money, just like album sales garner the record company more money.

So its not like its a cash grab, like with the Eagles or the Stones or Fleetwood Mac.. They all could keep their ticket prices average and sell out everywhere they go, but these three bands price a good portion of their fanbase with out of the arena.

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Mar 31 2010, 02:10 PM)
"Older songs" could mean, we are gonna hear plenty of revisited HYF, Presto, and RTB. Just wait before any of you blow your load too hard. Regardless, I'm seein' this shit.

ohmy.gif With older songs like that my load's already blown! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

They need to go with more Presto/RtB/CP/HYF/Power Windows stuff anyway!

QUOTE (Tarkus407 @ Mar 31 2010, 10:59 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Mar 31 2010, 02:10 PM)
"Older songs" could mean, we are gonna hear plenty of revisited HYF, Presto, and RTB. Just wait before any of you blow your load too hard. Regardless, I'm seein' this shit.

ohmy.gif With older songs like that my load's already blown! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

They need to go with more Presto/RtB/CP/HYF/Power Windows stuff anyway!

notworthy.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

I need to hear "Scars" live again. It's not a want, it's a need.

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 31 2010, 09:12 AM)
From RIAB:

LINK

Tuesday, March 30, 2010
Geddy Lee confirms summer Rush tour followed by new album
Posted at 7:28PM | link | comments (76)
Sandra Miller of Akron's 97.5 WONE had a brief conversation with Geddy Lee recently where Geddy confirms Rush's plans for touring/recording that were first mentioned by Alex Lifeson in a Toronto Globe and Mail interview last week. Here's what Geddy said:

We're kind of looking at a kind of a 2 year plan. A little bit of writing now, getting a couple of tracks down. Playing some songs in the summertime on tour that people are not familiar with as well as bringing back a whole range of older songs. And getting quickly back into the studio again and finishing the album and see what the impact of that is.

You can listen to the interview yourself at this link or use the player below.

Here's what Alex Lifeson had said in his Toronto Globe and Mail interview last week:

... We were off for a year and a half, and now it's just pouring. Everything is totally crazy and there's not a minute left in the day. We've got these half-dozen songs, and we'll probably go in the studio and work on a couple of them and see how it goes, perhaps release something - and I say perhaps - and then we plan on being on the road in the middle of June. Ideally, we'd like to showcase a couple of these songs on the tour, come off tour in mid-October, go back in the studio and continue writing, then record through late this year and early next year, and then release the album in the spring of 2011 on a slightly more substantial tour. This [year's] tour will probably be about 45 dates. Most likely summer, 2011, would be more like 70. ...

It's going to be a busy couple of years for Rush and their fans. Thanks to Evan for the heads up.

Its called the "marketing-for-all-its-worth" tour:

1) Induce excessive salivation in an already starving fanbase by announcing that -VIRGIN- Rush songs will be debuted (along with classic hits) in the new upcoming tour creating a Drool factor of 10

2) Post-tour, officially release these new songs to incite another revitalizing and manipulative hit into the fanbase (and fringe-interest audience), thus boosting post-tour interest in the band. Drool factor of ~9 (assuming good fan reception to new material)

3) Re-tour immediately after new material release to take advantage of high chatter/interest rate among fans from the new material. Drool factor here is strongly dependent on the quality of new material (Excellent material equates to a booming Drool factor. A poor quality release will create a slump in this 2nd phase of the tour w/ the economy being a contributing factor as well) . Release yet another foreign-audience live performance DVD when the tour completes.

The plan will work fabulously for them if new material is excellent. Let's hope they worked hard, intelligently, and passionately.

http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_CRwN_3cJXMs/SKFy3OqDkiI/AAAAAAAAA48/LriaFqEDhnk/s400/crosshairs-250x252.gif

Geddy: Target acquired

Alex: Loaded

Neil: Fire!

Edited by GeminiRising79

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 1 2010, 11:42 AM)

Their plan will work fabulously for them if new material is excellent. Let's hope they worked hard, intelligently, and passionately.

yes.gif

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 1 2010, 11:42 AM)
Its called the "marketing-for-all-its-worth" tour: 

1) Induce excessive salivation in an already starving fanbase by announcing that -VIRGIN- Rush songs will be debuted (along with classic hits) in the new upcoming tour creating a Drool factor of 10

2) Post-tour, officially release these new songs to incite another revitalizing and manipulative hit into the fanbase (and fringe-interest audience), thus boosting post-tour interest in the band.  Drool factor of ~9 (assuming good fan reception to new material)

3) Re-tour immediately after new material release to take advantage of high chatter/interest rate among fans from the new material. Drool factor here is strongly dependent on the quality of new material (Excellent material equates to a booming Drool factor. A poor quality release will create a slump in this 2nd phase of the tour w/ the economy being a contributing factor as well)

Their plan will work fabulously for them if new material is excellent. Let's hope they worked hard, intelligently, and passionately.

Or maybe they want to try out the new songs live before recording them, like they used to do back on PeW, MP, etc.? confused13.gif

Regardless, can you blame them for trying a new approach in these days of decreasing album and concert ticket sales?

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Apr 1 2010, 01:24 PM)
Or maybe they want to try out the new songs live before recording them, like they used to do back on PeW, MP, etc.? confused13.gif

Regardless, can you blame them for trying a new approach in these days of decreasing album and concert ticket sales?

I sure can't. And I don't get those who are critical of the approach either.

The reasons are obvious to all as to why they are doing it this way.

I am glad they are trying out some new songs on tour, beats hearing The Larger Bowl . Does it not ?