• 2707 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:42 AM

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 31 2010, 09:12 AM)
From RIAB:

LINK

Tuesday, March 30, 2010
Geddy Lee confirms summer Rush tour followed by new album
Posted at 7:28PM | link | comments (76)
Sandra Miller of Akron's 97.5 WONE had a brief conversation with Geddy Lee recently where Geddy confirms Rush's plans for touring/recording that were first mentioned by Alex Lifeson in a Toronto Globe and Mail interview last week. Here's what Geddy said:

We're kind of looking at a kind of a 2 year plan. A little bit of writing now, getting a couple of tracks down. Playing some songs in the summertime on tour that people are not familiar with as well as bringing back a whole range of older songs. And getting quickly back into the studio again and finishing the album and see what the impact of that is.

You can listen to the interview yourself at this link or use the player below.

Here's what Alex Lifeson had said in his Toronto Globe and Mail interview last week:

... We were off for a year and a half, and now it's just pouring. Everything is totally crazy and there's not a minute left in the day. We've got these half-dozen songs, and we'll probably go in the studio and work on a couple of them and see how it goes, perhaps release something - and I say perhaps - and then we plan on being on the road in the middle of June. Ideally, we'd like to showcase a couple of these songs on the tour, come off tour in mid-October, go back in the studio and continue writing, then record through late this year and early next year, and then release the album in the spring of 2011 on a slightly more substantial tour. This [year's] tour will probably be about 45 dates. Most likely summer, 2011, would be more like 70. ...

It's going to be a busy couple of years for Rush and their fans. Thanks to Evan for the heads up.

Its called the "marketing-for-all-its-worth" tour:  

1) Induce excessive salivation in an already starving fanbase by announcing that -VIRGIN- Rush songs will be debuted (along with classic hits) in the new upcoming tour creating a Drool factor of 10

2) Post-tour, officially release these new songs to incite another revitalizing and manipulative hit into the fanbase (and fringe-interest audience), thus boosting post-tour interest in the band.  Drool factor of ~9 (assuming good fan reception to new material)

3) Re-tour immediately after new material release to take advantage of high chatter/interest rate among fans from the new material. Drool factor here is strongly dependent on the quality of new material (Excellent material equates to a booming Drool factor. A poor quality release will create a slump in this 2nd phase of the tour w/ the economy being a contributing factor as well) . Release yet another foreign-audience live performance DVD when the tour completes.

The plan will work fabulously for them if new material is excellent. Let's hope they worked hard, intelligently, and passionately.

user posted image
Geddy: Target acquired
Alex: Loaded
Neil: Fire!

Edited by GeminiRising79, 01 April 2010 - 12:36 PM.

Sponsored Post

#22 metaldad

metaldad

Official TRF Chauffeur

• Members
  • 17164 posts
  • Interests:hanging out with my Wife, son and 2 girls . playing Drums , Beer, going to shows, Beer , Cooking , Beer , watching football , Beer , watching baseball, Beer , cranking Metal and Beer

Posted 01 April 2010 - 11:45 AM

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 1 2010, 11:42 AM)

Their plan will work fabulously for them if new material is excellent. Let's hope they worked hard, intelligently, and passionately.

yes.gif  

#23 PariahDog

PariahDog

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1249 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 12:24 PM

QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Apr 1 2010, 11:42 AM)
Its called the "marketing-for-all-its-worth" tour:   

1) Induce excessive salivation in an already starving fanbase by announcing that -VIRGIN- Rush songs will be debuted (along with classic hits) in the new upcoming tour creating a Drool factor of 10

2) Post-tour, officially release these new songs to incite another revitalizing and manipulative hit into the fanbase (and fringe-interest audience), thus boosting post-tour interest in the band.  Drool factor of ~9 (assuming good fan reception to new material)

3) Re-tour immediately after new material release to take advantage of high chatter/interest rate among fans from the new material. Drool factor here is strongly dependent on the quality of new material (Excellent material equates to a booming Drool factor. A poor quality release will create a slump in this 2nd phase of the tour w/ the economy being a contributing factor as well)

Their plan will work fabulously for them if new material is excellent. Let's hope they worked hard, intelligently, and passionately.

Or maybe they want to try out the new songs live before recording them, like they used to do back on PeW, MP, etc.? confused13.gif  

Regardless, can you blame them for trying a new approach in these days of decreasing album and concert ticket sales?

#24 Rush Cocky

Rush Cocky

Go Cocks!

• Members
  • 11865 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 02:18 PM

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Apr 1 2010, 01:24 PM)
Or maybe they want to try out the new songs live before recording them, like they used to do back on PeW, MP, etc.? confused13.gif  

Regardless, can you blame them for trying a new approach in these days of decreasing album and concert ticket sales?

I sure can't.  And I don't get those who are critical of the approach either.

The reasons are obvious to all as to why they are doing it this way.

#25 metaldad

metaldad

Official TRF Chauffeur

• Members
  • 17164 posts
  • Interests:hanging out with my Wife, son and 2 girls . playing Drums , Beer, going to shows, Beer , Cooking , Beer , watching football , Beer , watching baseball, Beer , cranking Metal and Beer

Posted 01 April 2010 - 02:22 PM

I am glad they are trying out some new songs on tour, beats hearing The Larger Bowl . Does it not ?

#26 Rush Cocky

Rush Cocky

Go Cocks!

• Members
  • 11865 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 02:24 PM

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 1 2010, 03:22 PM)
I am glad they are trying out some new songs on tour, beats hearing The Larger Bowl . Does it not ?

I would say so, given that it's my 3rd least favorite song on the album.

#27 PariahDog

PariahDog

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1249 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 03:06 PM

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 1 2010, 02:22 PM)

Actually, I think Larger Bowl may still be in the set. cool.gif

Or if not Larger Bowl, probably 2-3 other S&A songs.  Maybe Far Cry, TMMB, MalNar.  

#28 metaldad

metaldad

Official TRF Chauffeur

• Members
  • 17164 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 03:07 PM

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Apr 1 2010, 03:06 PM)

No Way Bro............. laugh.gif  

#29 Rush Cocky

Rush Cocky

Go Cocks!

• Members
  • 11865 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 03:08 PM

QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 1 2010, 04:07 PM)

BEER BREAK! biggrin.gif  

#30 metaldad

metaldad

Official TRF Chauffeur

• Members
  • 17164 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 03:09 PM

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Apr 1 2010, 03:08 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Apr 1 2010, 04:07 PM)

BEER BREAK! biggrin.gif

Damn right trink39.gif  

#31 ReflectedLight

ReflectedLight

The Sphere

• Members
  • 8673 posts

Posted 01 April 2010 - 03:27 PM

i like the larger bowl alot.  i hope they play this song in the second set so when you guys are taking your beer break, i can upgrade my seat.  don't bother trying to push me out or calling for security because security doesn't care in the second 1/2 of the show.  wink.gif

Edited by ReflectedLight, 01 April 2010 - 03:27 PM.

#32 Mara

Mara

Hindu Goddess of Death

• Members *
  • 25526 posts
  • Interests:Reading (historical fiction, Cold War political intrigue esp). Playing with my dogs, hiking, working out like a maniac. Thoroughbred racing.

Posted 01 April 2010 - 03:35 PM

"The Larger Bowl" does have cool video.  But I'd rather see it get dropped.  

#33 ALifeson85

ALifeson85

Mortal Kombatant

• Members
  • 1867 posts
  • Interests:Music, playing guitar, movies, video gaming, spending time with my son....

Posted 01 April 2010 - 03:40 PM

... ohmy.gif

*starts saving moolah for tix*  cool.gif  

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users