B sides tour?

toonz

Saw this snip of an interview with Ged on the blog. Maybe a B sides tour isn't too far fetched...

"We're kind of looking at a kind of a 2 year plan. A little bit of writing now, getting a couple of tracks down. Playing some songs in the summertime on tour that people are not familiar with as well as bringing back a whole range of older songs. And getting quickly back into the studio again and finishing the album and see what the impact of that is. "

Wish they'd give us some hints on the setlist other than Closer to the Heart and having to wait up until opening night.

I remember right before the 2008 leg of the Snakes and Arrows tour began, there were rumblings about "Marathon" and "Jacob's Ladder." Also another rumor (might have been the same one) fly around about "Faithless" along with a bunch of standards (La Villa, RTB, Bravado, Working Man). Of course none of those songs showed up in the setlist.

I would love to see it but, i don't think they will do it

QUOTE (Alex @ Mar 30 2010, 07:32 PM)
I have a good feeling Jacob's Ladder is going to come back!

Same here

QUOTE (Alex @ Mar 30 2010, 08:32 PM)
I have a good feeling Jacob's Ladder is going to come back!

common001.gif Hearing that live would pretty much make my life complete yes.gif

Sorry to throw cold water on things but it's not going to be a "b-sides" tour per se. There will be a bunch of songs that haven't been played in decades (as there were last tour) but there will still be a bunch of the regular staples and some snakes songs in addition to the new stuff.

I'd like to see them rest the mini-staples (YYZ, Freewill, Trees, Roll The Bones, Dreamline, 2112 Overture/Temples, Force Ten, Big Money, Distant Early Warning, Subdivisions) since they won't rest the big-staples (Tom Sawyer, Spirit Of Radio, Limelight) and do a bunch of songs that haven't been done in ages or ever. I think the fans are definitely ready and since the band seems like it's in its last stages, I think it'd be cool to honor the songs that haven't been played for what seems like eternity.

Guys, Rush is already confirmed to play a lot of the same arenas they played in 2007 and 2008. I guarantee you they wouldn't get great ticket sales if they scrapped the classics and played nothing but B-Sides. Word would get out about no "Tom Sawyer, Spirit, Limelight, Subdivisions, etc" and they'd lose a big chunk of their casual fans

A total B-Sides set list aint happening

If they brougt back Anthem, Something For Nothing, Xanadu (scrapped this from their set too quick), Hemispheres, Jacob's Ladder, Camera Eye, Enemy Within and Marathon, I wouldn't care if the rest of the show was all Presto & Hold Your Fire.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Mar 30 2010, 11:19 PM)
Guys, Rush is already confirmed to play a lot of the same arenas they played in 2007 and 2008. I guarantee you they wouldn't get great ticket sales if they scrapped the classics and played nothing but B-Sides. Word would get out about no "Tom Sawyer, Spirit, Limelight, Subdivisions, etc" and they'd lose a big chunk of their casual fans

Agreed. Alex shot his mouth off once about how that would be a fun thing to do, and people took (and continue to take) it way too seriously.

QUOTE (LeaveMyThingAlone @ Mar 30 2010, 10:19 PM)

of course they will play those 4 but building around that with some songs they haven't played in a while and mixed in with some b-sides isn't unrealistic is it?

I tend to agree with the idea that this will not be a completely B-sided set. Just, ain't, happenin'...

The big staples will be there (LL, TM, TSOR). I think that some of the mini staples mentioned should be dropped.

I have some doubts of them dropping YYZ... Freewill would probably be removed due to vocal issues... the Tree's is really 50/50... Roll the Bones is already out but might be brought back... Dreamline NEEDS to be retired more than anything else... honestly not sure about 2112 but I could see them doing something about it... Force ten was not played last tour and could use some new wuv... big money wasn't played last tour and is probably not worth bringing back... DEW is also completely in the air... subdivisions can probably be dropped now... As can Natural Science, but I honestly don't know if they could do that.

Now, the set will likely be a permutation of the S&A set. Less emphasis will be put on the S&A stuff but Far Cry and a few others will probably return. Mal Nar and Hope could easily be among them (around the drum solo) if they don't have any new ideas to replace them and don't feel like going back to Resist. Unless they try to do an unplugged version of something else they want to bring back...

Now, CTTH is fully ready to enter back into the fray. Would probably make a good encore.

As for the other oldies to bring back: I severly doubt they will bring back Camera eye except for two scenarios: A complete performance of Moving Pictures, or as part of a medley.

Which by the way, would be very interesting to see. They did it for the R30 tour, but I'm thinking they could pull something longer (longer than the R30 overture but more compressed (and with more songs) than the home run of oldies leading up to working man). This might very well be the only way tunes like Hemispheres, Jacobs Ladder, TCE, Cygnus and Necromancer may see the light of day.

And finally, no, they will not play anything of Lamneth. Just a hunch. Except not a hunch.

QUOTE (sdhonda @ Mar 31 2010, 02:38 AM)
This might very well be the only way tunes like Hemispheres, Jacobs Ladder, TCE, Cygnus and Necromancer may see the light of day.

And finally, no, they will not play anything of Lamneth. Just a hunch. Except not a hunch.

I have a shit-ton of bootlegs that cover the entire spectrum...none of which have the Necromancer. Are you saying they've pulled this out lately? And by lately I mean in the last 20 years?

QUOTE (GeddyLeeRoth @ Mar 30 2010, 10:34 PM)
If they brougt back Anthem, Something For Nothing, Xanadu (scrapped this from their set too quick), Hemispheres, Jacob's Ladder, Camera Eye, Enemy Within and Marathon, I wouldn't care if the rest of the show was all Presto & Hold Your Fire.

xanadu,dropped to quickly? this song has been done to death for decades!