Going to concerts alone

progrush2112

Hey all,

I was pondering this the other day, as there are a few shows coming here which my usual friends I take to concerts are unable to attend for one reason or another.

So...

If have you ever attended a concert by yourself, I would like to hear from you and your experiences with the topic! Thanks in advance.

2.gif on

~Hud

EDIT: One of the concerts in question is Coheed and Cambria, another is Sonata Arctica

Edited by progrush2112

I went several times alone at shows, but always in small clubs, no arenas or such.

I found the experience good and bad at the same time: I could really delve deep into the music, but you miss the possibility to chat and share opinions... and when the show is over, there isn't much to do...

Just an example: I went alone to see Opeth on the Blackwater Park tour and enjoyed it immensely. Total immersion into the music. Following year, went to the Deliverance tour with a friend into stoner rock, and I was somehow distracted. Enjoyed the show far and far less. Not that it's my buddy's fault...

Why not? If i want to see a show and no one wants to go, screw it. Go have some fun . I have seen many a jazz show alone because my friends are not into it .
  • Like 3

At this point I go to most shows alone. I would prefer to go with someone but will forge ahead solo to see a good show. Once the show starts, its not like you are really talking or socializing with your friends anyway.

Its nice to go with a friend who would be the designated driver but than again not drinking at shows really saves me a lot money as I often spend more on drinks than tickets.

• Like 1

I went to the Hold Your Fire show by myself. Had a blast. A single female Rush fan, by herself, at a show gets lots of attention.

I also saw one of my favorite college-era bands, Robyn Hitchcock and The New Egyptians, twice by myself.

I mean, why not? If I really want to go to a concert and can't find someone else with genuine interest, going alone is way better than just dragging someone along who really would rather be doing something else.

• Like 1

I can find friends to go to see established acts like rush or steely dan. I was surprised no one would go the megadeth show i saw on monday night.

I am 43 and most of my friends are not into newer music but I feel that the best shows come from up and coming groups in small venues. Shows that I went solo to that I feel will be looked back upon as 1022.gif include

Porcupine Tree- Fear of a blank planet tour.

Between the buried and me- Colors and The Great Misdirect tours.

Mastodon- Crack The Skye

I also went solo the one time I saw Buckethead and I count that as one of the best shows i have ever seen.

YEP!! I go to RUSH alone my wife don't like them.. LOL

So I'll buy 2 tickets and then post that i have one and look for a new friend that way or I'll just look for a single lookin for a ticket, new friend.

I have never been stuck with a ticket, always sell it to someone.

I don't mind going alone as you are never alone, many new friends all around you....

2.gif trink39.gif

The only time I went to a concert by myself was to see the Cure on the "Wish" tour back in 1992.

I almost went to see Rush on the Counterparts tour by myself, but the show was in Charlotte which would have meant a 3.5 hour drive and since I wasn't too keen on that album, I decided not to go.

I've been to a number of shows by myself. I always personally knew the band I was going to see though, so I would hang with them until they went on. Inevitably there would be other fans that I knew so it was always a good time.

QUOTE (MULTIPLIED REACTION @ Mar 26 2010, 11:05 AM)
I went to see Rush on the T4E tour by myself in Boston.

It's a shame I didn't know you at the time, but I had to board a train to meet someone just north of Boston and had no idea that Rush was playing the Fleet Center that night until I saw them putting up all the Rush tour shirts. I would have gone with you, particularly since my trip northward was a bust.

and on the other hand i can think of several shows that i have been to where i was wish i was alone due to the unfortunate behavior of my friends...

i would of gone to more shows solo except that I used to bribe my friends with free tickets if they would be the designated driver.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Mar 26 2010, 10:07 AM)

It's a shame I didn't know you at the time, but I had to board a train to meet someone just north of Boston and had no idea that Rush was playing the Fleet Center that night until I saw them putting up all the Rush tour shirts. I would have gone with you, particularly since my trip northward was a bust.

Kelly, are you going to see Rush if they play in Mansfield, Mass this summer? A whole bunch of us from TRF will be there.

QUOTE (MULTIPLIED REACTION @ Mar 26 2010, 11:19 AM)
QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Mar 26 2010, 10:07 AM)

Kelly, are you going to see Rush if they play in Mansfield, Mass this summer? A whole bunch of us from TRF will be there.

Yeah, I might. smile.gif

Hell yes! I will go to shows alone especially if I score an awesome floor seat!!

I remember seeing The Who alone at the Oakland Coliseum in I think 1991. It was a tenth row center seat, so I ensnared it and went!!

Damn, that was the year they had Simon Phillips on drums. He was on his big bad red kit!!!

Sweet memories.......

I saw R30 by myself... Maiden in 1996 alone... I don;t really care one way or the other, since I kind of go off into my own little world the second the lights go down...A former co-worker of mine was a little shocked when he got to Ozzfest in time to catch Maiden and I was THAT into it. Especially after the time when we saw David Lee Roth and he got absolutely *destroyed* in the VIP area before the concert started.