Going to concerts alone

progrush2112

Indeed. Been to many alone.

And actually I usually prefer it that way. I can sit where I want, take as much time as I want at the merchandise booth and act completely how I want (whether it is dancing or cheering or even crying or laughing). I usually wind up meeting complete strangers who love the same music. And I usually run into people that I only see a few times in a few years; always at these great shows of bands we love. It is great.

I saw Rush by myself on the last tour - me and my dog - drove 2+ hours, left the dog at the hotel, went to the show, enjoyed it tremendously, talked to the people around me - I thought it was a great time as I only had to be concerned with myself. You're not losing someone in the drink or bathroom line etc.. no one is trying to talk to you and you can enjoy the show all by yourself. I'd do it again.

In 2008, I had a chance to pick up a Pit ticket for the Irvine show at a decent price. I did it and it was the most amazing concert experience of my life, namely seeing Rush in the Pit!!!

First and only experience I've ever had at a concert by myself and I had absolutely no problem with it!!

Yes of course, it can be just as cool as being with a crowd of friends, just cool in a different way, and anyway once the show starts and you're watching, even when you're with a bunch of mates, it's mostly just you and the band.

cool10.gif

I've been to a few alone. Don't mind it one bit. It allows me to go about things the way I want to. Showing up nice and early, taking my sweet time at the merchandise table, singing loudly/waving arms frantically, crying, laughing whatever I feel like.

A big plus in going alone for me is not having to deal with my friends who always like to consume LARGE amounts of beer at shows and then either pass out during the concert or leave to go to the freakin' bathroom every 15 minutes. Or they are going to get food, asking me questions about the band/songs, texting/talking on their cell pones, taking pictures and then going insane when the camera's batteries die or standing up in the middle of the show and searching frantically, while nearly in tears, for their cell phone even though it's simply UNDER HIS SEAT!!! Or, quite possibly the worst, my one buddy likes to pretend that he knows the words to the songs and then proceeds to either "sing along" or lip sync them even though he really had NO IDEA what they are. In most cases he just ends up moving his mouth randomly. It looks really really stupid.

Needless to say, in most cases, I'd much rather attend a concert alone. Or maybe I just need to get some new friends laugh.gif In either case, I've actually got a few shows coming up that I'll be flying solo at. Porcupine Tree and Jethro Tull. Can't wait!!!

Wow I got more responses than I thought I would! Haha

Guess I'll be buying tickets for the shows soon then

After a paycheck of course! Thanks guys! You all rule!

QUOTE (Earthshine @ Mar 27 2010, 12:59 PM)

And actually I usually prefer it that way. I can sit where I want, take as much time as I want at the merchandise booth and act completely how I want (whether it is dancing or cheering or even crying or laughing). I usually wind up meeting complete strangers who love the same music. And I usually run into people that I only see a few times in a few years; always at these great shows of bands we love. It is great.

yes.gif Same here. goodpost.gif

QUOTE (Steevo @ Mar 27 2010, 02:57 AM)

goodpost.gif

All the best reasons to go alone.

Edited by Some Half-Forgotten Stranger

QUOTE (Some Half-Forgotten Stranger @ Mar 27 2010, 05:15 AM)
QUOTE (Steevo @ Mar 27 2010, 02:57 AM)

goodpost.gif

All the best reasons to go alone.

Same goes for me.

One thing I enjoy about the concert experience is walking through the crowd during the breaks, socializing with people I know and running into friends I haven't seen in years. My wife, on the other hand, wants to stay where she's seated unless she goes to the restroom. As much as I want to enjoy a concert with my pretty wife, I enjoy it even more when I go by myself.

Something usually happens to me when I'm going solo that makes me glad my wife wasn't there to see. Like the time at an Allman Brothers show in Tupelo when a teacher at my kids' high school grabbed my head, pulled me into her nice breasts and asked me remember them in the morning.

Edited by tupelobarchetta

I don't mind going alone. Sometimes it's even more fun. I can just move at my own pace and not worry about finding them when it's over, bathroom stops, etc. I saw U2 and Marillion in 2005 by myself and thoroughly enjoyed it. Especially Marillion, best concert of my life!!

QUOTE (GrandDesigner @ Mar 27 2010, 02:26 PM)
I don't mind going alone. Sometimes it's even more fun. I can just move at my own pace and not worry about finding them when it's over, bathroom stops, etc. I saw U2 and Marillion in 2005 by myself and thoroughly enjoyed it. Especially Marillion, best concert of my life!!

Marillion is one of those bands I would do anything to see live. 1022.gif

Living in AZ it's kinda hard to go to high quality prog shows. Porcupine Tree has played here a few times in the early 00's but before I lived here...Usually all the big prog tours just skip PHX...even though we are a pretty big city

I went to the Hold Your Fire show by myself. Had a blast. A single female Rush fan, by herself, at a show gets lots of attention.

I agree with Mara's quote! I've always said to my un-attached friends that they should hit up a Rush show as there is a high concentration of "available" males wink.gif .

I would have no problem going to a show by myself although I've not yet done so. It seems silly to miss an act you really want to see because you have to go alone

Edited by nobodys hero

Havent had to make that decision yet, but yeah, i would. I go to movies alone, bars alone, restaurants alone...no matter.

Movies..usually because i know no one else would dig what i'm seeing...i love going to the movies alone.

Bars..I'm alone til i walk in the door, then I know half the place.

Restaurants...me, a good meal and a book...i'm groovy

QUOTE (theredtamasrule @ Mar 28 2010, 09:07 PM)
I went to the Indianapolis show on the Vapor Trails tour by myself. Had a great time...well, except for the people in the row behind mine wanted to sit down & started bitching that we wouldn't.

A great show & I have the bootleg too!

Honestly...nothing pisses me off more...this is a ROCK CONCERT people! Get up and groove! and if you dont want to, dont DARE ask me to angry.gif

I thought if bump this thread up because...well, why not? :huh:

I went to my very first Rush show alone. It was a little more than a month before my 17th birthday. I had an absolute blast!

I also went to my very last Rush show, on the R40 Tour, alone.

I've been to several other shows alone.

Sure, it's fun to see shows with other people, too. But as long as you're going for the purpose of enjoying the music, you'll still have a great time. (Unless the performance is really bad. But let's not talk about that!).

I went to a lot of (small) shows when I was working in radio/clubs, and although I went to many on my own I ended up knowing a lot of people once I got there so it's not really like I went there alone.

It wasn't until the Clockwork Angels tour that I went to a big show alone. (Honestly, Rush is the only band I've seen in a arena since the 80s.) I've now been to about seven Rush shows alone. It's a little lonely sitting in my seat my myself, but once the band comes onstage it no longer matters!

I've since decided I would rather go see a band I really like, like Rush, alone than with someone who will just sit there and not get into the show.

• Like 3

I have still not gone to a concert alone.

But, unless some friends ante-up for Alice In Chains tickets before July, and I don't think that'll happen, I'll have my first solo concert experience.

:)

• Like 2

I usually don't go to many shows alone. My brother, nephew and friend all have similar music tastes as me, so usually all four, or some combo of the four I end up going with.

I have gone to shows alone and I honestly don't mind it. I'm not much of a talker at concerts anyways. Even between bands, or in Rush's case before they come on and during intermission, i'm not too chatty. I'm soaking in the atmosphere and experience of what's going on more than anything. Smartphones come in handy since they can kill time when no one is on the stage.

Once the show begins, i'm one hundred percent immersed in it. At that point it doesn't matter if 'm there with somebody or not. I only talk to someone if it's absolutely necessary while the band is playing.

Edited by J2112YYZ
  • Like 3