Eating well

GhostGirl

QUOTE (sullysue @ Mar 22 2010, 02:47 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 22 2010, 10:47 AM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Mar 22 2010, 11:36 AM)
I just discovered a great alternative to potato chips. Really.

http://images.teamsugar.com/files/usr/1/12981/TerraOriginal.jpg

They have quite a variet too. I have a bag of the 'Sweet Potato & Carrot Chips' in the pantry for when I want something potato-chippy. 13 chips have 150 calories and 9 grams of fat. They have one variety that has dried beets and I kid you not, they're good! Stores usually carry them in their health food section if you're interested in trying them.

Can I say how much I LOVE the Stacy's pita chips? So good with hummus. Only trouble is you can't eat them while watching TV - they are too loud!

I got a free bag of Stacy's pita chips in the mail when they first launched the product line. They sent them out to everyone they could find named Stacy! The most brilliant marketing strategy EVER! I don't know how they're priced up in Georgia, but down here, they're way to expensive for me.

Hummus must be an acquired taste. I had it once, and now the thought of it makes me gag. Blech!!!!!

laugh.gif

I'm having some Guiltless Gourmet tortilla chips and some roasted red pepper hummus right now. I LOVE the stuff.

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 22 2010, 02:55 PM)

They have quite a variet too. I have a bag of the 'Sweet Potato & Carrot Chips' in the pantry for when I want something potato-chippy. 13 chips have 150 calories and 9 grams of fat. They have one variety that has dried beets and I kid you not, they're good! Stores usually carry them in their health food section if you're interested in trying them.

Can I say how much I LOVE the Stacy's pita chips? So good with hummus. Only trouble is you can't eat them while watching TV - they are too loud!

I got a free bag of Stacy's pita chips in the mail when they first launched the product line. They sent them out to everyone they could find named Stacy! The most brilliant marketing strategy EVER! I don't know how they're priced up in Georgia, but down here, they're way to expensive for me.

Hummus must be an acquired taste. I had it once, and now the thought of it makes me gag. Blech!!!!!

laugh.gif

I'm having some Guiltless Gourmet tortilla chips and some roasted red pepper hummus right now. I LOVE the stuff.

Yuck! laugh.gif

I haven't read all the replies but wanted to post.

I eat a high protein low carb diet. I have for about two years, had a relapse for two months when it was the anniversary of one year since my daughter had died, but got back on it in Jan.

Anyway a few weeks ago I had to have a blood test for insurance and my test results were sooo good! My bad cholesterol was low and my good cholesterol was sooo good!

I had to show my daughter because on New Years Eve her and her boyfriend were telling me how bad it was to eat so much meat, cheese and bacon. I love bacon.

My body just doesn't know what to do with too many carbs. It just can't process them. I try to limit it to 20 a day, but I'm not anal about it. And I do on occasion splurge. On birthdays or holidays I will eat a little cake.

ETA I eat an insane amount of eggs. Some days as many as 5 or 6. And still my cholesterol is awesome. Both my mom and dad had high bad cholesterol so in my case I think diet is overriding my genes.

Edited by afurrything

Me and my daughter tried hummus once and decided it tasted like dirty armpits laugh.gif

She has since started making her own and says it is delicious! I haven't been able to try it again. It's too carby for me anyway.

QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Mar 22 2010, 10:02 PM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Mar 22 2010, 06:32 PM)
Hummus = The Shit  1022.gif

agreed

Also agreed. If you have a Trader Joe's near you (U.S. only, I'm assuming), pick up a tub of their Mediterranean Hummus. Best hummus I've ever had. That along with a bag of their blue corn tortilla chips makes for an addicting snack.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 23 2010, 02:51 AM)
QUOTE (Queen of Megadon @ Mar 22 2010, 10:02 PM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Mar 22 2010, 06:32 PM)
Hummus = The Shit  1022.gif

agreed

Also agreed. If you have a Trader Joe's near you (U.S. only, I'm assuming), pick up a tub of their Mediterranean Hummus. Best hummus I've ever had. That along with a bag of their blue corn tortilla chips makes for an addicting snack.

No Traders near me upstate here angry.gif

Okay, my appetite has gotten weird. I don't seem to have much of one as of the past week or so, despite the fact that I am working out regularly (daily, with a day off about every 10 days or if I just absolutely do not feel like it). I'm eating, but I don't seem to have much interest in "real" food. The only things I really find appealing are protein bars and drinks. Protein shakes are breakfast every day anyway, and sometimes they are dinner as well, but I don't as a rule eat the bars as meals - they are a very occasional snack.

Thinking I cannot live life with this as a regular diet. . .

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 23 2010, 07:54 AM)
Okay, my appetite has gotten weird. I don't seem to have much of one as of the past week or so, despite the fact that I am working out regularly (daily, with a day off about every 10 days or if I just absolutely do not feel like it). I'm eating, but I don't seem to have much interest in "real" food. The only things I really find appealing are protein bars and drinks. Protein shakes are breakfast every day anyway, and sometimes they are dinner as well, but I don't as a rule eat the bars as meals - they are a very occasional snack.

I assume the shakes and bars are sweet? What do you eat that isn't a sweet food?

I know you don't like veggies that much (neither do I). Sometimes you just have to go with what sounds good - but it probably isn't a great idea to eat only those items.

Have you had any bloodwork done recently? Wonder if you're having some sort of nutritional deficiency and your body is trying to rebuild...

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 23 2010, 10:13 AM)
Okay, my appetite has gotten weird.  I don't seem to have much of one as of the past week or so, despite the fact that I am working out regularly (daily, with a day off about every 10 days or if I just absolutely do not feel like it).  I'm eating, but I don't seem to have much interest in "real" food.  The only things I really find appealing are protein bars and drinks.  Protein shakes are breakfast every day anyway, and sometimes they are dinner as well, but I don't as a rule eat the bars as meals - they are a very occasional snack. 

I assume the shakes and bars are sweet? What do you eat that isn't a sweet food?

I know you don't like veggies that much (neither do I). Sometimes you just have to go with what sounds good - but it probably isn't a great idea to eat only those items.

Have you had any bloodwork done recently? Wonder if you're having some sort of nutritional deficiency and your body is trying to rebuild...

They are sweet, but nobody's going to mistake them for dessert. And if someone put a plate of pastry (one of my weaknesses) in front of me, I'd pass.

Odd indeed. I have tried, years ago when I was a wee bit warped as regards food, to live on this sort of thing. It does NOT work. Yeah, I have sometimes subbed the bars for lunch if I am super busy or on the road - it's a convenience thing - but that's rare.

I brought some rice, corn, black beans, tomatoes and lean ground beef mixed together for lunch. Once I'm hungry enough it'll taste good.

I wonder if I am overtraining, which can throw things out of whack. Also I've swapped green tea for one of the two-liter bottles of diet Mountain Dew I slug down daily, so there is that adjustment as well.

Has anyone ever tried Almond milk?

My levels have been shooting up every time I eat cereal and discovered it was because of milk (I've been trying 1% whole milk; do not like skimmed milk yuck).

So I tried Almond Breeze and I actually don't mind it. Just waiting for a bit to test my blood and see what results it brings....

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 23 2010, 09:51 AM)

My levels have been shooting up every time I eat cereal and discovered it was because of milk (I've been trying 1% whole milk; do not like skimmed milk yuck).

So I tried Almond Breeze and I actually don't mind it. Just waiting for a bit to test my blood and see what results it brings....

I've been dying to try almond milk. So, it's good? I really wish they'd sell small containers of stuff like this and soy milk, so people can give it a try without buying a whole container and then finding they don't like it.

QUOTE (sullysue @ Mar 23 2010, 11:00 AM)

So I tried Almond Breeze and I actually don't mind it.  Just waiting for a bit to test my blood and see what results it brings....

I've been dying to try almond milk. So, it's good? I really wish they'd sell small containers of stuff like this and soy milk, so people can give it a try without buying a whole container and then finding they don't like it.

It's at least good with cereal (Fibre One with some Splenda and some nuts)which I mainly want it for...

I'll have to try it as a drink alone though I don't really want it for that.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 23 2010, 11:10 AM)
QUOTE (sullysue @ Mar 23 2010, 11:00 AM)

So I tried Almond Breeze and I actually don't mind it.  Just waiting for a bit to test my blood and see what results it brings....

It's at least good with cereal (Fibre One with some Splenda and some nuts)which I mainly want it for...

I'll have to try it as a drink alone though I don't really want it for that.

And yes it is pricey indeed. Seems like all the stuff you need to eat right is pricey yet so called experts are preaching to start eating healthy wacko.gif Doesn't make any sense.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 23 2010, 10:51 AM)

Damn my blood level went up high sad.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 23 2010, 10:34 AM)

Ugh...

Could it be the cereal itself, Rick?

I use almond breeze for smoothies - haven't tried it just for drinking.

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 23 2010, 09:48 AM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 23 2010, 10:13 AM)
Okay, my appetite has gotten weird.  I don't seem to have much of one as of the past week or so, despite the fact that I am working out regularly (daily, with a day off about every 10 days or if I just absolutely do not feel like it).  I'm eating, but I don't seem to have much interest in "real" food.  The only things I really find appealing are protein bars and drinks.  Protein shakes are breakfast every day anyway, and sometimes they are dinner as well, but I don't as a rule eat the bars as meals - they are a very occasional snack. 

They are sweet, but nobody's going to mistake them for dessert. And if someone put a plate of pastry (one of my weaknesses) in front of me, I'd pass.

Odd indeed. I have tried, years ago when I was a wee bit warped as regards food, to live on this sort of thing. It does NOT work. Yeah, I have sometimes subbed the bars for lunch if I am super busy or on the road - it's a convenience thing - but that's rare.

I brought some rice, corn, black beans, tomatoes and lean ground beef mixed together for lunch. Once I'm hungry enough it'll taste good.

I wonder if I am overtraining, which can throw things out of whack. Also I've swapped green tea for one of the two-liter bottles of diet Mountain Dew I slug down daily, so there is that adjustment as well.

Yeah, didn't figure they were dessert-ish.

I'd say it's a safe bet that the possible overtraining plus cutting out some of the Dew might bring about some appetite issues.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 23 2010, 11:57 AM)

Ugh...

Well it's Fibre One (which my doctor highly recommend).

Fibre One...0g of sugar

Almond Breeze 0g of sugar

Splenda 0g of sugar

confused13.gif confused13.gif confused13.gif confused13.gif confused13.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 23 2010, 09:06 AM)

Ugh...

Fibre One...0g of sugar

Splenda 0g of sugar

Levels? confused13.gif

QUOTE (Janie @ Mar 23 2010, 12:14 PM)

Ugh...

Fibre One...0g of sugar

Splenda 0g of sugar

Levels? confused13.gif

I've just recently been diagnosed as diabetic....my blood sugar levels

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 23 2010, 09:16 AM)

Ugh...

Fibre One...0g of sugar

Splenda 0g of sugar

Levels? confused13.gif

Oh no!! You must have to re-think your entire diet. I imagine it's very frustrating. sad.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 23 2010, 12:06 PM)

Ugh...

Fibre One...0g of sugar

Splenda 0g of sugar

Fibre One? Man, that stuff is laxative-in-a-box. Also not very tasty.

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 23 2010, 09:31 AM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 23 2010, 12:06 PM)

Ugh...

Fibre One...0g of sugar

Splenda 0g of sugar

Fibre One? Man, that stuff is laxative-in-a-box. Also not very tasty.

Funny story. Never eat that stuff along with a strong cup of black coffee and then go out for your morning jog because just as you're two miles away from home, you'll be regretting that breakfast choice.

QUOTE (Janie @ Mar 23 2010, 12:24 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 23 2010, 09:16 AM)

Ugh...

Fibre One...0g of sugar

Splenda 0g of sugar

Levels? confused13.gif

Oh no!! You must have to re-think your entire diet. I imagine it's very frustrating. sad.gif

Actually I got a real good head start; been eating better for a year now and lost 70 lbs...I just had to change some foods as far as sugar goes once I've been diagnosed. Some minor adjustments and a slight change in how much I eat and when.

Went to doc yesterday and she was very pleased with how I am doing and that I am on the right path. smile.gif