Eating well

GhostGirl

Yes, we've got a buncha threads about food, but since I and several other NWW (and guys too, for that matter) are trying to make wiser food choices for health and/or weight reasons, I thought a thread geared toward delicious, healthy foods/recipes might be a good idea.

I personally am working with the Weight Watchers plan, and am focusing on eating healthy foods - with WW there are no forbidden foods, but this time around (this is my 2nd) I'm not trying to just fit in some veggies in between Snicker bars and thinking, "I'm staying in my points range so whatever."

I had some health issues which are improving slowly as I keep my body hydrated - I drink massive amounts of water all day and evening - and as I add more and more nutrient-dense foods into my diet.

Now, I still love sweets, and have them nearly daily - but different kinds of sweets...really good dark chocolate, fruit with lowfat frozen yogurt, etc.

But my BIGGEST epiphany has come in the form of my morning "green" smoothies. I bought a personal travel cup/blender that kicks ASS (and crushes ice like a dream). Each morning I put in a couple of different kinds of frozen fruit (today it's pineapple and blueberries), some water, some ice, and two big handfuls of baby spinach. No sweetener...I was using honey but I've found it's great without. I know...spinach? But it's SO good - so fresh and my body craves it now.

So...this is long-winded but I'm excited about taking better care of myself and would love to trade ideas and recipes, etc.

BTW, I've lost almost 17 pounds since Jan. 2. biggrin.gif

• Replies 185
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Way to go!

I don't have any recipes right offhand, but one of my favorite ingredients is salsa. I do a lot of "off the cuff" cooking with whatever's around. The other night I was trying to put something together for my husband (who was getting home at about 9:30), and all we really had was salsa, various spices and seasonings, and some chicken tenders.

I threw the chicken tenders in the pan with a little adobo seasoning, some chili powder, an onion, cumin, and a can of diced tomatoes, then added a couple of cups of salsa. He raved about it!

Get good spices - you use less and it makes a ton of difference. I order mine from Penzey's.

My weakness is cheese. If I make a casserole that calls for it, I have to really restrain myself from doubling the amount!

I love good salsa too. I use it in egg white omelets.

This is going to be fun. I love to cook and try new things that aren't just good for you - but really do taste good. smile.gif

Oh, and I love cheese too - the key is to buy very highly flavored ones so you can use less. That's what I do.

I could never stick to those Weight Watcher type diets. I always felt depressed on them like I'm punishing myself for being fat and not having my own willpower to say NO to food. What's been working for me is portion changes and not eating sweets unless it's the weekend. That way I don't feel like I'm punishing myself because I have 2 days to eat sweets, in moderation of course. But when I say sweets I'm also including things like pizza and fried foods, which I try to avoid during the week.

Also a High Protein, low carb breakfast in the morning helps me feel full during the day so I dont snack so much. And 2-3 cups of green tea a day is great for the metabolism. I also have my coffee (cause I'm a caffiene junkie) and tons of water and orange juice every day.

This combined with an almost daily exercise routine has helped me to lose 65lbs since 2008 and I have plans to lose 10-15lbs more.

I lost weight on WW a while ago and once I got into it, it wasn't that hard...'cept when you start losing weight and your point values go down! LOL

You really have to get into a mental state of mind to start losing weight and I am almost there again. I am going to concentrate on smaller portions and eating whole foods only, no processed snacks and that crap.

I saw somewhere a good guide that said "If it wasn't food 100 years ago, it isn't food now", and that's pretty true when you think of all the processed junk that is in our society now.

WW doesn't work for everyone, it's true. It works great for me and encourages me to follow healthy guidelines and use portion control. I never feel deprived. It has allowed me to re-focus on what I really like and want. I feel like I'm treating myself better than I ever have. smile.gif

QUOTE (RushNut @ Mar 12 2010, 01:34 PM)
I lost weight on WW a while ago and once I got into it, it wasn't that hard...'cept when you start losing weight and your point values go down!  LOL
You really have to get into a mental state of mind to start losing weight and I am almost there again.  I am going to concentrate on smaller portions and eating whole foods only, no processed snacks and that crap.
I saw somewhere a good guide that said "If it wasn't food 100 years ago, it isn't food now", and that's pretty true when you think of all the processed junk that is in our society now.

Yes! Processed foods and perservatives are HORRIBLE for you! Not to mention the amount of Trans Fat but the amount of chemicals they add to preserve the food. One of the worst one being frozen pizzas oh and canned soups, actually canned anything is almost always bad for you because of the amount of salt.

I love to bake, and I have learned to make small changes to my recipes in order to accomodate for a low fat diet. I use low fat cream cheese instead of regular cream cheese for my cheesecake recipe and nobody can tell the difference but your body can. Plus I've found it comes out a lil more fluffier with the low fat CC. smile.gif

Edited by Ya_Big_Tree

Another trick I use when cooking ground beef for spaghetti or chili: I drain it in a colander, then rinse it. I'm not a big watcher of fat grams, since I don't eat an unreasonable amount of it to start with, but my husband does monitor his. You really don't miss it if you have a good sauce. (I can't stand the meat substitutes).

I put black beans in a lot of dishes. Good protein source and it's a great way to up the fiber content.

QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 12 2010, 01:49 PM)
Another trick I use when cooking ground beef for spaghetti or chili: I drain it in a colander, then rinse it. I'm not a big watcher of fat grams, since I don't eat an unreasonable amount of it to start with, but my husband does monitor his. You really don't miss it if you have a good sauce. (I can't stand the meat substitutes).
I put black beans in a lot of dishes. Good protein source and it's a great way to up the fiber content.

That's a good tip Mara! I have a pretty sensitive stomach (Cybill) and beef always makes it angry. Probably because of the grease. I have decreased the amount of meat I eat weekly cause of it but I think I'm gonna try that!

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 12 2010, 01:14 PM)
Yes, we've got a buncha threads about food, but since I and several other NWW (and guys too, for that matter) are trying to make wiser food choices for health and/or weight reasons, I thought a thread geared toward delicious, healthy foods/recipes might be a good idea.

I personally am working with the Weight Watchers plan, and am focusing on eating healthy foods - with WW there are no forbidden foods, but this time around (this is my 2nd) I'm not trying to just fit in some veggies in between Snicker bars and thinking, "I'm staying in my points range so whatever."

I had some health issues which are improving slowly as I keep my body hydrated - I drink massive amounts of water all day and evening - and as I add more and more nutrient-dense foods into my diet.

Now, I still love sweets, and have them nearly daily - but different kinds of sweets...really good dark chocolate, fruit with lowfat frozen yogurt, etc.

But my BIGGEST epiphany has come in the form of my morning "green" smoothies. I bought a personal travel cup/blender that kicks ASS (and crushes ice like a dream). Each morning I put in a couple of different kinds of frozen fruit (today it's pineapple and blueberries), some water, some ice, and two big handfuls of baby spinach. No sweetener...I was using honey but I've found it's great without. I know...spinach? But it's SO good - so fresh and my body craves it now.

So...this is long-winded but I'm excited about taking better care of myself and would love to trade ideas and recipes, etc.

BTW, I've lost almost 17 pounds since Jan. 2. biggrin.gif

Good work! You are losing weight at the right pace. You are averaging just under 2 pounds a week and that's perfect. I've seen people lose a massive amount of weight in a short time and they always seem to pack it back on. Also, it's unhealthy to lose it too quickly.

You haven't shocked your body with slow and steady weight loss and you'll see the benefits years from now. I'd bet my bottom dollar that you'll keep your weight where you want it from here on out.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Mar 12 2010, 12:56 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Mar 12 2010, 01:49 PM)
Another trick I use when cooking ground beef for spaghetti or chili:  I drain it in a colander, then rinse it.  I'm not a big watcher of fat grams, since I don't eat an unreasonable amount of it to start with, but my husband does monitor his.  You really don't miss it if you have a good sauce.  (I can't stand the meat substitutes). 
I put black beans in a lot of dishes.  Good protein source and it's a great way to up the fiber content.

That's a good tip Mara! I have a pretty sensitive stomach (Cybill) and beef always makes it angry. Probably because of the grease. I have decreased the amount of meat I eat weekly cause of it but I think I'm gonna try that!

Yeah, that is a good idea. I make meat sauce a lot, and I never thought about doing that. The sauce doesn't need that grease. no.gif

I agree about the spices. I can't really afford the high-quality ones. Usually just the store brand. But, I make sure to keep the most important ones in my pantry at all times: Basil, thyme leaves (NOT ground), oregano, bay leaves, a pepper grinder (McCormic sells their whole pepper corns with a built-in grinder in the lid. Such a great idea!), sea salt, cardamom, cinnamon, allspice, cumin, chili powder... all that stuff.

But, I ALWAYS, ALWAYS keep some special stuff like Herbs de Provence (the kind with lavendar) and saffron.

I also eat a lot of really spicy foods. The more heat, the better. As long it isn't so hot that I can't taste the actual food. Spicy foods are excellent for metabolism and for heart and circulatory function.

Edited by sullysue

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Mar 12 2010, 01:33 PM)
I could never stick to those Weight Watcher type diets. I always felt depressed on them like I'm punishing myself for being fat and not having my own willpower to say NO to food. What's been working for me is portion changes and not eating sweets unless it's the weekend. That way I don't feel like I'm punishing myself because I have 2 days to eat sweets, in moderation of course. But when I say sweets I'm also including things like pizza and fried foods, which I try to avoid during the week.

Also a High Protein, low carb breakfast in the morning helps me feel full during the day so I dont snack so much. And 2-3 cups of green tea a day is great for the metabolism. I also have my coffee (cause I'm a caffiene junkie) and tons of water and orange juice every day.

This combined with an almost daily exercise routine has helped me to lose 65lbs since 2008 and I have plans to lose 10-15lbs more.

Your plan is obviously working for you. High carbs early in the day makes sense to me. We need our carbs and I believe that if I eat them early then I'll burn them off during the day. This is just my theory.

I hope this doesn't piss any of you off but I can eat whatever I want, whenever I want and maintain the same weight. tongue.gif

I recently turned 40, so now I wonder how much longer I'll be able to eat as I wish.

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Mar 12 2010, 01:11 PM)

Your plan is obviously working for you. High carbs early in the day makes sense to me. We need our carbs and I believe that if I eat them early then I'll burn them off during the day. This is just my theory.

I hope this doesn't piss any of you off but I can eat whatever I want, whenever I want and maintain the same weight. tongue.gif

I recently turned 40, so now I wonder how much longer I'll be able to eat as I wish.

Oh, really? I seem to remember a phone conversation involving you taking on the shape of a pear. laugh.gif

Watch out, young man. It'll catch up to you.

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Mar 12 2010, 01:06 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 12 2010, 01:14 PM)

But my BIGGEST epiphany has come in the form of my morning "green" smoothies.  I bought a personal travel cup/blender that kicks ASS (and crushes ice like a dream).  Each morning I put in a couple of different kinds of frozen fruit (today it's pineapple and blueberries), some water, some ice, and two big handfuls of baby spinach.  No sweetener...I was using honey but I've found it's great without.  I know...spinach?  But it's SO good - so fresh and my body craves it now.

BTW, I've lost almost 17 pounds since Jan. 2.  biggrin.gif

Good work! You are losing weight at the right pace. You are averaging just under 2 pounds a week and that's perfect. I've seen people lose a massive amount of weight in a short time and they always seem to pack it back on. Also, it's unhealthy to lose it too quickly.

You haven't shocked your body with slow and steady weight loss and you'll see the benefits years from now. I'd bet my bottom dollar that you'll keep your weight where you want it from here on out.

Thanks man! smile.gif

As far as the meat trick, I've done that for years and it makes a huge difference. yes.gif

QUOTE (sullysue @ Mar 12 2010, 02:13 PM)

Oh, really? I seem to remember a phone conversation involving you taking on the shape of a pear. laugh.gif

I'm still trim cool.gif but I have seen a difference. The beauty of it is I can get my stomach flat in a week or two. I do realize that the day is coming where I'll have to work to stay in shape.

edited

I got a chuckle from your post. I remember that day when I put on those pair of pants that I haven't worn in a while. I'm like "I'm the same weight but it seems to have shifted." laugh.gif

Edited by liquidcrystalcompass

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Mar 12 2010, 01:16 PM)

I'm still trim cool.gif but I have seen a difference. The beauty of it is I can get my stomach flat in a week or two. I do realize that the day is coming where I'll have to work to stay in shape.

Okay, you need to leave now.

Seriously. Go.

I don't even want to HEAR it. tongue.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 12 2010, 02:19 PM)

Seriously. Go.

laugh.gif

Don't worry GG.. like he said he just turned 40... after that his days for being able to eat whatever he wants are numbered.

tongue.gif

Seriously. Go.

I had to edit my response to sullysue's post. I did notice a little "shift" in my anatomy recently. laugh.gif

Seriously though, I'm a believer in eating several small meals throughout the day.

For me it's breakfast, lunch, dunch, dinner, dupper, supper, and sequafist. smile.gif

First, congrats on sticking to a diet and exercise routine GG. Great job at seeing those pounds come off!

Second, I think many people confuse eating healthy foods as eating boring, tasteless foods. This isn't the case. And if it is boring, you're doing it wrong.

I love to eat healthy meals. I never feel ill afterwards and I have a lot more energy than when I don't eat something healthy (like a big greasy bacon cheeseburger).

Here are some dishes I love:

Small cup of tomato soup (made with whole milk - here's the extra flavor and when you just eat a little bit, you can do things like add whole milk to dishes) with some fresh chopped basil and on the side, toasted french bread with melted mozzarella and some roasted garlic.

Cucumber salad

2 medium, peeled (or unpeeled, whatever floats your boat) cucumbers (I like English cucumbers because I don't dig cucumber seeds)

1/3 cup cider vinegar

1/3 cup water

2 Tbl sugar

salt and pepper to taste

thinly sliced red onion (optional)

Combine everything and stick in the fridge overnight. The dish tastes better when it has been sitting in the fridge for a while.

Greek 'Pizzas'

Greek flat bread

Hummus

Cucumber, sliced

Sliced avocado

Crumbled feta

Sriracha sauce

^^^^^^Good Post

I've always naturally eaten healthy. As a child, I had access to as many sodas and candy as I wanted but I rarely ate or drank the stuff. I would nomrally go outside and pull a piece of fruit from one of our fruit trees. Reverse psychology by my parents I guess.

When learning to cook healty, there are some staple ingredients to keep in your kitchen at all times. Chicken stock is a very healthy way to pep up most dishes. Learn to cook with pepper and citrus fruits. I think I've learned over 100 ways to chicken. I'm very good with fish too. It's the easiest of all proteins to work with. At least it is for me.

The food channel has a lot of good shows that are centered around healthy cooking.

QUOTE (liquidcrystalcompass @ Mar 12 2010, 04:19 PM)
^^^^^^Good Post

I've always naturally eaten healthy. As a child, I had access to as many sodas and candy as I wanted but I rarely ate or drank the stuff. I would nomrally go outside and pull a piece of fruit from one of our fruit trees. Reverse psychology by my parents I guess.

When learning to cook healty, there are some staple ingredients to keep in your kitchen at all times. Chicken stock is a very healthy way to pep up most dishes. Learn to cook with pepper and citrus fruits. I think I've learned over 100 ways to chicken. I'm very good with fish too. It's the easiest of all proteins to work with. At least it is for me.

The food channel has a lot of good shows that are centered around healthy cooking.

Yes. Ellie Krieger, though her personality is a little bit annoying "know-it-all-nutritionist", has some damn good recipes.

I thought I'd post some foods I enjoy - not recipes necessarily, but just snacks that I really like.

If you like yogurt, try Greek yogurt. It's so thick and really yummy.

I love these little muffin tops for desserts or quick breakfasts - all natural, no refined sugar, but REALLY good. I mean, husband-and-kid-eat-them-before-you-can good - VitaTops. www.vitalicious.com

Laughing Cow cheeses - all different flavors, very rich and creamy; great on crackers or veggies.

That's it for now. I was eating some Oikos yogurt and thought of this thread. biggrin.gif

If you like yogurt, try Greek yogurt. It's so thick and really yummy.

I LOVE Greek yogurt! I like to get vanilla and put honey on top. It's so thick and yummy. When I have morning-ish get-togethers, I like to serve plain Greek yogurt with brown sugar on top and serve this with strawberries.

Another favorite snack for me is whole wheat Ritz (these are phenomenal) crackers with extra sharp cheddar cheese and thinly sliced sweet apples on top.

QUOTE (Janie @ Mar 12 2010, 03:43 PM)
If you like yogurt, try Greek yogurt.  It's so thick and really yummy.

I LOVE Greek yogurt! I like to get vanilla and put honey on top. It's so thick and yummy. When I have morning-ish get-togethers, I like to serve plain Greek yogurt with brown sugar on top and serve this with strawberries.

Another favorite snack for me is whole wheat Ritz (these are phenomenal) crackers with extra sharp cheddar cheese and thinly sliced sweet apples on top.

And that reminds me of some sandwiches I made for a get-together recently...caramelized onions piled on sourdough, then thin slices of Brie and Granny Smith apple...then grill or toast the sandwiches.

YUM.