Presto Liner Notes

yyzyy

Was reading the liner notes to Presto while listening to Chain Lightning, and realized that it doesn't show the guys names and what instruments they play! Odd, no? It says that neil wrote the lyrics, and music by lee/lifeson. But it says nothing about what instruments they play....Very ackward. But, Presto is still a great album...

!!THAT'S NICE!!

I think what happened is fairly obvious, but I'll list it here for those who haven't got this one yet.

You see, Neil got deathly sick with the flu during Presto. Time constraints being what they were, Geddy and Alex decided that they must go on without him to finish the album on time.

They considered bringing in a studio musician, but the band took pride in producing all the sounds itself, a tradition noone wanted to mess with.

So what to do?

Geddy finally went up to Alex and said, "The solution is simple. One of us will have to play drums."

After a bit of hemming and hawing, Alex agreed. After a couple of turns each on Neil's kit, they determined that they both sucked. But interestingly, they sucked equally. So they decided to split up the tracks between them.

When Neil recovered, he was a bit shocked to find out what they'd done, but it was too late. Later Geddy was heard saying,

"Let's skip the music credits on this one and just try to forget this album ever happened."

You'll notice that the band hardly ever plays from Presto on tour for this reason. Except for The Pass.

When Geddy says, "Christ, what have you done?", it's a clear reference to Alex and Geddy taking over on drums and their embarassment over the whole incident.

Glad I could clear this up. I'm here all day if anyone has other questions.

cool.gif

Schro

QUOTE (Schro @ Mar 28 2005, 11:41 AM)
I think what happened is fairly obvious, but I'll list it here for those who haven't got this one yet.

You see, Neil got deathly sick with the flu during Presto. Time constraints being what they were, Geddy and Alex decided that they must go on without him to finish the album on time.

They considered bringing in a studio musician, but the band took pride in producing all the sounds itself, a tradition noone wanted to mess with.

So what to do?

Geddy finally went up to Alex and said, "The solution is simple. One of us will have to play drums."

After a bit of hemming and hawing, Alex agreed. After a couple of turns each on Neil's kit, they determined that they both sucked. But interestingly, they sucked equally. So they decided to split up the tracks between them.

When Neil recovered, he was a bit shocked to find out what they'd done, but it was too late. Later Geddy was heard saying,

"Let's skip the music credits on this one and just try to forget this album ever happened."

You'll notice that the band hardly ever plays from Presto on tour for this reason. Except for The Pass.

When Geddy says, "Christ, what have you done?", it's a clear reference to Alex and Geddy taking over on drums and their embarassment over the whole incident.

Glad I could clear this up. I'm here all day if anyone has other questions.

cool.gif

Schro

yes.gif True

In fact, you can hear Alex hitting the snare drum with a brick during "Available Light"

icon_really_happy_guy.gif

ARE YOU SERIOUS???????

Do you know what songs they played on drums?????

I'm having trouble believing this!!

Clear it up, what songs did they play for??!!??!!??!!??!!

Schro is our resident playwright...his work has been described as "drama with a touch of surrealism."

In other words, is your leg sore? 'Cause he's pulling it.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 28 2005, 10:19 AM)
Schro is our resident playwright...his work has been described as "drama with a touch of surrealism."

In other words, is your leg sore? 'Cause he's pulling it.

Sore??? If he pulls it any harder, he's gonna dislocate it.

Welcome aboard!!

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Mar 28 2005, 12:25 PM)

In other words, is your leg sore?  'Cause he's pulling it.

I consider myself the queen of understatement.

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (yyzyy @ Mar 28 2005, 01:41 PM)
DAMN YOU SCHRO  mad.gif  mad.gif  mad.gif  YOU HAD ME GOING THERE!! tongue.gif

That would be kind of cool though!  Geddy and Alex playing drums on Presto!

Oh you poor thing. icon_really_happy_guy.gif You've been..... Schroed

--for you the blind who once could see...the bell tolls for thee--

That's Nice

Sorry, yyzyy, like GG said, it was just a farce to pass the time.

I'm so used to noone taking me seriously that it nevers occurs to me that someone actually might. Will have to mark this day in my journal.

Glad I could add some excitement to your day though. laugh.gif

I'd better stop now before I starting telling the tale about a stop on the Farewell tour when the band's bus got a flat tire and 3 roadies had to do the show..

cool.gif

Schro

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 28 2005, 10:31 AM)

I always thought you were simply:

The Queen

THAT I WOULD HAVE NEVER BELIEVED!!!!!

When you told the tale of Presto, I ran to my room and grabbed my Rush:Tribute book and flipped the pages to 1989! Nothing, Then I kind of figured that you were joking around. But how cool would that have been?

...and also, when "That's Nice" is said at the end of Chain Lightning, wasnt THAT sayed sarcsticly by Neil when he found out how Ged and Alex ruined his drum kit...?

-Matt

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Mar 28 2005, 03:28 PM)
QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 28 2005, 10:31 AM)

I always thought you were simply:

The Queen

And what did that say before you edited it, dearie? wink.gif

I try to rule with an iron fist in a velvet glove....

http://archive.corewebprogramming.com/Chapter12/images/Queen.gif

icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (freewill @ Mar 28 2005, 09:55 PM)
i find it hard to beleive this is true, i think the mention of the instruments was simply forgoten.... excellent album,like usual!!!!!

Well good.... you should! 'Cause it's not!!!!! no.gif

QUOTE (freewill @ Mar 28 2005, 09:55 PM)
i find it hard to beleive this is true, i think the mention of the instruments was simply forgoten.... excellent album,like usual!!!!! 

Well good.... you should! 'Cause it's not!!!!! 

Are you saying Presto isn't a good album? It's given us such classics as Show Don't Tell, Presto, Superconductor and one of my favourites...Chain Lightning!

That's Nice

Do I dare answer? Or do I assume The Truth is known regarding that conversation and that afansince wasn't actually saying Presto was a bad album?

I think it's a great album too. I just wish I knew why the band doesn't like it.

Archived