To: ES-335

daveyt

QUOTE (daveyt @ Mar 28 2005, 10:15 AM)
the ones in the pic are not the ones i have. the ones i have look pretty crappy. i forget what type they are called. so are PAF's and HUMBUCKERS different? pics please!

Actually PAF's are a certain type of Humbuckers.

Humbuckers is a general type of pickup. There is also a "single coil" type pickup which are usualy in guitars such as stratocasters, they have a weaker high end twangy sound good for blues and have like a Eric clapton, Stevie ray vaughn type of sound. Humbucking type pickups has a more fuller sound like Jimmy Page, Alex lifeson, Metallica, etc,etc...... I like humbucking pickups because the sound has more balls and low end..... I'm sure your guitar has humbucking pickups in it. As to the exact type of pickups in an ES-335, it would depend on the model and year. I think cyg is correct though, a lot of the older ES-335's have 2 vintage PAF humbucking pickups sunk in em. Although I've seen some with P-90 pickup's in them too.

Check out this 12 string 1967 ES-335...........sweet!!!

http://63.243.93.163/images/photos/a_7143572779525_4.jpghttp://63.243.93.163/images/photos/a_7143572779525_2.jpg

Edited by Indica

Humbucker refers to double coil pickups. By design they "buck" the hum produced by electro magnetic interference. It is the same principle used in an XLR connection for microphones. Basically there are two positive signals to one negative. Because hum is constant, at 60 Hz, or sometimes 50 Hz, when the two positive signals are summed the hum cancels itself out. Single coil pickups are more sensitive to buzz and hum, but can be grounded to recuce hum. Double coils have a considerable louder output, which drive amps more, providing pleasing distortion.

PAF stands for "Patent Applied For." When these were first produced there was a stamp on the chrome covers that read PAF, which is how they got the name.

P-90s are large single coils. They have more low end and less high end than a thinner coil. Generally these have bigger coils wound less tightly. A more tightly wound pickup produces higher output and more brightness. More winding = low end, tighter winding = brightness and power.

The winding of the coil wire determines brightness and low end. There are single coils that have more low end than some humbuckers and vice versa, there are humbuckers that are much brighter than some singles. Especially with the advent of active pickups, which apply power to the signal for more tonal variation.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

thanks for the pics too because i didn't see them the first time around. sometimes i think that people on the forum want to provide "services" so that's why i didn't do the research myself. plus i'm glad i didn't because there is a wealth of info on here that is valuable.

thanks for swingin that mood back mr! i'll make sure i lay off the you-know-what b4 i post funny thoughts

Edited by daveyt

QUOTE (daveyt @ Mar 29 2005, 04:18 PM)
QUOTE (Indica @ Mar 29 2005, 04:04 PM)
I don't feel the need to try to impress people with my technical talk.

CYG can't help his impressiveness no.gif

A geeze, I sense a man crush.

Down boys.

tongue.gif

My first answer was pretty f***ing simple. I went on to clarify when the waters got a little murky. My clarification isn't all that technical or impressive.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Mar 29 2005, 05:43 PM)
Down boys.
tongue.gif

My first answer was pretty f***ing simple. I went on to clarify when the waters got a little murky. My clarification isn't all that technical or impressive.

No disrespect to you Cyg. And thanks for correcting me on the "high end" "Low end" difference on the double coil vs single coil......And once I thought about it I knew that all along. My cousin has a les paul with a single coil p-90 "dog ear" style soap bar pickup in it, and it's one of the most bassiest sounding guitars I've ever heard. (I understand that the heavy body helps get a bassy sound and sustain also) But he replaced his humbuckers with the p-90 and it was even more bassy. However, I wasn't aware of why it was, as you said it depends on the tightness of the coils which makes sense. But for the most part the humbuckers have a fuller sound (for obvious reasons)

I replaced the stock pickups on my SG and put active EMG 81 pickups in it. I was torn at first because I wanted to keep it original, but I liked the sound of the actives over the stock Gibson humbuckers anyday, at least for the tone I was shooting at. I have heard a lot of nice sounding passive pickups but I still like the actives better for a couple of different reasons. (the quietness in the studio for one) Although one of my favorite pickups of all time is the

Seymour Duncan JB pickup, it's passive but the tone on those babies are awesome. I would recommend those to anyone. SWEET!!!!

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2