Rush's Most Technically Difficult Song?

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#41 laughedatbytime

laughedatbytime

Twin City Cub Fan

• Members *
  • 72534 posts
  • Interests:women's Uggs, trying to compensate for my small hands, buying gifts for the equipment staff, smashing certain cell phones, that dreamy Judge Berman

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:03 PM

View PostSlack jaw gaze, on 13 May 2014 - 05:10 PM, said:

It seems I recall Geddy said something about The Main Monkey Business being pretty challenging live.
Yeah, for the audience...

Sponsored Post

#42 Narps

Narps

Official TRF Pace Car Driver

• Members
  • 27753 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:06 PM

View Postlaughedatbytime, on 13 May 2014 - 08:03 PM, said:

It seems I recall Geddy said something about The Main Monkey Business being pretty challenging live.
:syrinx: :D

#43 JARG

JARG

Pinky Moe

• Members *
  • 19881 posts
  • Interests:Cycling, guitar playing

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:32 PM

View PostLorraine, on 13 May 2014 - 05:34 PM, said:

Here's a question:  how can you tell if a musician is "technically challenged"?  :laughing guy:   By that I mean, they can play and don't go off-key, but they aren't intense musicians - just basic.   Am I making any sense?  I guess it is the difference between a real pro and an amateur. Those of you here who know your stuff, can you tell when you listen?

Certainly if you're a player, you can hear other players' strengths and weaknesses, particularly if you've been playing awhile yourself. Usually when I listen to someone play something I've played, I'm listening for how much confidence they have when they play that part/song. It's one thing to put your fingers in the right place at the right time (and make no mistake, that's a huge thing), but it's another to play the part without sounding stiff. To do that requires chops and confidence.

#44 bathory

bathory

Book Würm

• Members *
  • 9604 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:57 PM

couldn't tell you. I wanna say something from the 70s or early 80s but people forget that the synth era records have a lot going on too

#45 sabresman31

sabresman31

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 75 posts
  • Interests:Hockey, Music, & Movies.

Posted 13 May 2014 - 08:58 PM

The first two songs that come to my mind are Hemispheres and La Villa Strangiato.

#46 Xanadoood

Xanadoood

The God Of Balance

• Members *
  • 5482 posts
  • Interests:Music
    Biking
    Mountain Climbing
    Running
    Movies
    Reading

Posted 13 May 2014 - 09:53 PM

I always found this performance cool to watch..i dig it

https://www.youtube....h?v=mGf9JcSXvCc

#47 KennyLee

KennyLee

Always A Bridesmaid

• Members
  • 2937 posts
  • Interests:Rush, hockey, Rush and hockey.

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:37 AM

Here's a question:  how can you tell if a musician is "technically challenged"?  :laughing guy:   By that I mean, they can play and don't go off-key, but they aren't intense musicians - just basic.   Am I making any sense?  I guess it is the difference between a real pro and an amateur. Those of you here who know your stuff, can you tell when you listen?

I've seen some average players that make simple stuff look challenging. The great players make the challenging look simple.

Some of it even when you are a good player you can't tell how difficult something is until you play it. There are a lot of cool riffs that sound difficult but aren't.

**cough* Squire *cough**

It's definitely easier to pick out talent when you're a good player though. Think of it like listening to someone speak French. I don't speak a word so I'm impressed they can speak another language at all.  If you speak French fluently, you will notice if they're making sense, talking like a two year old or have a crappy accent.

Does that make sense?

Edited by KennyLee, 15 May 2014 - 07:38 AM.

#48 JARG

JARG

Pinky Moe

• Members *
  • 19881 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 09:46 AM

View PostKennyLee, on 15 May 2014 - 07:37 AM, said:

I've seen some average players that make simple stuff look challenging. The great players make the challenging look simple.

Some of it even when you are a good player you can't tell how difficult something is until you play it. There are a lot of cool riffs that sound difficult but aren't.

**cough* Squire *cough**

It's definitely easier to pick out talent when you're a good player though. Think of it like listening to someone speak French. I don't speak a word so I'm impressed they can speak another language at all.  If you speak French fluently, you will notice if they're making sense, talking like a two year old or have a crappy accent.

Does that make sense?

Oui! Très bien dit.

#49 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42714 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 12:12 PM

View PostKennyLee, on 15 May 2014 - 07:37 AM, said:

**cough* Squire *cough**

Does that make sense?

Yes, it does.

#50 Dscrapre

Dscrapre

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 15 May 2014 - 01:29 PM

View PostXanadoood, on 13 May 2014 - 09:53 PM, said:

I used to be cold to this song but now I really love it.

I've also heard Geddy say that it's one of the most difficult songs that they do. That bass is super intense.

#51 Empty Mindless Spectre

Empty Mindless Spectre

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 753 posts
  • Interests:RUSH, Fishing, Hockey, Fantasy Football

Posted 15 May 2014 - 06:59 PM

Thanks so much for the link Dood!  I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that song!!!! I was shocked and extremely disappointed it didn't make the CA setlist.

#52 Empty Mindless Spectre

Empty Mindless Spectre

Prime Mover

• Members *
  • 753 posts
  • Interests:RUSH, Fishing, Hockey, Fantasy Football

Posted 15 May 2014 - 07:02 PM

View PostDscrapre, on 15 May 2014 - 01:29 PM, said:

I've also heard Geddy say that it's one of the most difficult songs that they do. That bass is super intense.

I'm a non-musician, but I would have guessed 'Malignant Narcissism' to be more technically difficult for Geddy than 'Main Monkey Business'. Both are awesome songs in my book though.

#53 Dscrapre

Dscrapre

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 835 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:52 AM

View PostEmpty Mindless Spectre, on 15 May 2014 - 07:02 PM, said:

View PostDscrapre, on 15 May 2014 - 01:29 PM, said:

I'm a non-musician, but I would have guessed 'Malignant Narcissism' to be more technically difficult for Geddy than 'Main Monkey Business'. Both are awesome songs in my book though.

I would have assumed so too, but I recall hearing it from the man himself. I think it was during the Wall Street Journal Fan QnA Geddy and Alex did about a year ago.

#54 EagleMoon

EagleMoon

Beauty and the Bass

• Members
  • 21893 posts
  • Interests:GUI and graphic design, writing, reading, hiking with my dog and photography.

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:25 AM

View PostEmpty Mindless Spectre, on 15 May 2014 - 06:59 PM, said:

Thanks so much for the link Dood!  I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE that song!!!! I was shocked and extremely disappointed it didn't make the CA setlist.

The bass and drums are technically more difficult than the guitar in this song but that makes sense since Geddy and Neil did their parts first.

#55 Snyder80

Snyder80

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 500 posts
  • Interests:reading, writing, fishing, kayaing, learning to do basic construction, cooking, wine, music (obviously), being a good husband and father.

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:47 AM

Most of their stuff seems to have some technical prowess to it.  Some songs seem simple when you're watching one person cover a single aspect of it on YouTube but three people trying to pull it off comes off as a train wreck.  Anyway, I no longer play an intrument (something I highly regret) but here are some that I think sound difficult.

Circumstances, Freewill, YYZ, La Villa Strangiato, Natural Science, Digital Man, Vital Signs, The Big Money, Kid Gloves, Subdivisions, Bravado, Test for Echo, Animate, Tom Sawyer, The Weapon, One Little Victory, Malignant Narcissism.  

Just my .02.

#56 KennyLee

KennyLee

Always A Bridesmaid

• Members
  • 2937 posts
  • Interests:Rush, hockey, Rush and hockey.

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:17 AM

Kid Gloves and Bravado are walks in the park and Vital Signs is surprisingly not difficult. The rest... yeah.

Playing bass and singing Circumstances is always something I have to really pay attention on. My favorite bass line also, btw. Busy, aggressive and melodic.

#57 Babycat

Babycat

Party Animal

• Members *
  • 81412 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 07:20 AM

View Postsabresman31, on 13 May 2014 - 08:58 PM, said:

The first two songs that come to my mind are Hemispheres and La Villa Strangiato.

And me.

#58 JARG

JARG

Pinky Moe

• Members *
  • 19881 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 09:58 AM

View PostSnyder80, on 16 May 2014 - 03:47 AM, said:

Most of their stuff seems to have some technical prowess to it.  Some songs seem simple when you're watching one person cover a single aspect of it on YouTube but three people trying to pull it off comes off as a train wreck.
Very true.

Anyway, I no longer play an intrument (something I highly regret) but here are some that I think sound difficult.

Circumstances, Freewill, YYZ, La Villa Strangiato, Natural Science, Digital Man, Vital Signs, The Big Money, Kid Gloves, Subdivisions, Bravado, Test for Echo, Animate, Tom Sawyer, The Weapon, One Little Victory, Malignant Narcissism.  

Just my .02.

We did all the ones in bold. From my perspective (guitar), Circumstances, Subdivisions, Tom Sawyer are all quite easy. Kid Gloves is, too, until it comes to that f***ing solo!

A song that was deceptively challenging for me is Cold Fire. There's nothing technically difficult about it -- no fast passages, no tricky chords -- but getting the feel right in the verses, choruses and solo was a real struggle. Alex can sometimes have this very loose-sounding feel that sounds like it borders on sloppy (and occasionally it crosses that border) but turns out to require a really strong sense of timing and rhythm, and Cold Fire is one of them. I always sounded stiff when I played it, which is pretty much the exact opposite of how it should sound.

#59 LeaveMyThingAlone

LeaveMyThingAlone

The Professor

• Members *
  • 3108 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 12:58 PM

View PostKennyLee, on 13 May 2014 - 03:54 PM, said:

Xanadu and La Villa require a ton of feel on the guitar. That's where a lot of guitarists fall short. A lot of soul in those pieces. Challenging on bass and drums, too at times.
YYZed is challenging but never a doubt on it live. Too comfortable with it.

Bingo!

I get annoyed when I hear how Alex's stuff isn't difficult to play or that it's all about Geddy and Neil and how technically difficult it is to play their stuff. There is technical ability and then there is feel and soul. No one can touch Alex's feel. He has the best tone of any guitar player I've ever heard. It's just a beautiful sound that's so crisp and kind of emotional. I have heard plenty of Rush cover bands and, while they can play the tunes, the guitar "sound" just isn't the same. Only Alex can do what he does. The riff in Double Agent. Is it technically hard? Maybe not. Can anyone repeat the same sound? Doubtful. His solo in No One at the Bridge and Limelight are both technically easy to repeat but no one can touch the soul.

Tone is so important to me. Songs that come to mind are Red Barchetta, Limelight, Hemispheres, Spirit, Caravan, and Double Agent. The song with the most feel and soul in my opinion is Jacob's Ladder. The part right after "Bright unbroken beams" and Alex comes in with that easy to play, but impossible to repeat sound. It gives me goosebumps

#60 upstateNYfan

upstateNYfan

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 626 posts

Posted 16 May 2014 - 03:07 PM

There are very few bands that could execute any of their catalog with finesse, to say nothing of their longevity.

They are truly greater than the sum of their parts. We'll never see another Rush.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users