Rush's Most Technically Difficult Song?

• Please log in to reply
138 replies to this topic

#21 metaldad

metaldad

Official TRF Chauffeur

• Members
  • 17164 posts
  • Interests:hanging out with my Wife, son and 2 girls . playing Drums , Beer, going to shows, Beer , Cooking , Beer , watching football , Beer , watching baseball, Beer , cranking Metal and Beer

Posted 01 March 2010 - 02:39 PM

QUOTE (tick @ Feb 28 2010, 01:23 PM)
some of them are...

Xanadu
CygnusX1
The Camera Eye
Hemispheres
La Villa
Natural Science

yes.gif  

Sponsored Post

#22 craig34

craig34

Restless Young Rushmantic

• Members
  • 62 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 03:11 PM

Geddy has said in interviews that Hemispheres and Vapor Trails were the 2 toughest, most complex albums to make

#23 KillerInstinct

KillerInstinct

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 772 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 04:50 PM

drumwise, i'd say that La Villa  is pretty easy to play. To me the fact that the song is separated makes it easier to know when and what happens whenever i drum to it. I find MP, PW, HYF and specially Presto to be much tougher drumwise. The drum fill in Lock and Key is very challenging and pretty much anything out of Presto is very tough to play.

Thats just my .02, anyway

#24 trenken

trenken

Ray Of Sunshine

• Members
  • 3703 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 04:58 PM

Yeah in terms of bass and singing at the same time, I always felt that some of the songs off of PoWin and HYF were by far the most difficult.

Because most everything before that was pretty straight forward for Geddy most of the time, outside of a little riff here and there. But on those albums he wrote intricate lines even for just the verses, and then sang over them.

I remember when I was about 15 by then I had been playing for 3 years, and never struggled with anything prior to those 2 albums, then it was like a whole new learning curve. Much harder than all the previous albums.

#25 PariahDog

PariahDog

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1249 posts

Posted 01 March 2010 - 05:24 PM

I would throw in YYZ.  A lot of players know the riffs, but it's challenging to play CLEANLY and up to speed.  I hear YYZ butchered all the time at Guitar Center. sad.gif    

Also, the bass/drum timing of the intro to TSOR still throws me off after all these years.  tongue.gif  

#26 Show Don't Tell

Show Don't Tell

The Seeder

• Members *
  • 9209 posts
  • Interests:Music, Hockey, Mathematics, Statistics, Computer Science.

Posted 01 March 2010 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE (rushfanNlv @ Feb 28 2010, 02:00 PM)
I would have to say something from HYF.  Something like Mission or Turn the Page.  Alex's stuff doesn't seem all that dificult on these albums I know but those other two guys were on fire IMO.

Pun intended? tongue.gif

#27 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42714 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:08 PM

View PostTick, on 28 February 2010 - 01:23 PM, said:

some of them are...

Xanadu
CygnusX1
The Camera Eye
Hemispheres
La Villa
Natural Science

I am wondering what makes Xanadu hard to play?

#28 RushFlyer2112

RushFlyer2112

The Seeker

• Members
  • 229 posts
  • Interests:Love Rush,Pink Floyd,U2,Coldplay,Genesis love to Read, Listening to Music,
    Touched By An Angel, Roma Downey John Dye Della Resse

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:24 PM

2112 for me is hard and The Spirit of The Radio as well look just how everyone trys!!!!!!!

#29 Maverick

Maverick

SWEDGIN!

• Members *
  • 24485 posts
  • Interests:Painfully Geeky

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:37 PM

View PostLorraine, on 13 May 2014 - 02:08 PM, said:

View PostTick, on 28 February 2010 - 01:23 PM, said:

some of them are...

Xanadu
CygnusX1
The Camera Eye
Hemispheres
La Villa
Natural Science

I am wondering what makes Xanadu hard to play?

Nothing.

#30 Maverick

Maverick

SWEDGIN!

• Members *
  • 24485 posts
  • Interests:Painfully Geeky

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:42 PM

YYZ
the solo section of Freewill
the really fast break in The Spirit of Radio (especially the one midway through the song, where all three play it in unison.)

La Villa is a great piece, and it has it's moments of technical brilliance.  But there are large segments of the song that are not technically demanding at all.

#31 Distant Signals

Distant Signals

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 02:55 PM

On behalf of my band mates (who play most of the songs already mentioned):

Timing the outro solo of Freewill can be tricky.
All of the timing in La Villa with all instruments.

And not yet mentioned.....  

Most of Jacobs Ladder with the keys, guitar and drums
The beginning of Countdown with the syncopation of the keys, drums and vocals

#32 KennyLee

KennyLee

Always A Bridesmaid

• Members
  • 2937 posts
  • Interests:Rush, hockey, Rush and hockey.

Posted 13 May 2014 - 03:54 PM

I've never had a problem with Freewill at all. Maybe just been playing it so long?

Xanadu and La Villa require a ton of feel on the guitar. That's where a lot of guitarists fall short. A lot of soul in those pieces. Challenging on bass and drums, too at times.

Bass wise, Digital Man has always been a song where I have to warm up before I play. Can't go in cold at all. Very aggressive and some tough runs.

YYZed is challenging but never a doubt on it live. Too comfortable with it.

As Rush-2112 mentioned, Jacob's Ladder can be tricky. As familiar as I am I still don't know what the hell Neil is doing back there and you have to pay pretty close attention not to miss a beat. If you do... train wreck.

#33 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42714 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 04:36 PM

It is a shame that there are musically untrained persons (like myself) that are unaware of all that goes into what looks so easy and effortless.

#34 Slack jaw gaze

Slack jaw gaze

Solar Federalist

• Members *
  • 2251 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:10 PM

It seems I recall Geddy said something about The Main Monkey Business being pretty challenging live.

#35 Distant Signals

Distant Signals

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 639 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:11 PM

You are right Kenny.   If one let's Jacobs Ladder get away, it can very easily train wreck, and there is no recovering from that. :)

Lorraine - The music sounds simple but some of it is quite complex with many time signature changes and patterns.   It's really fun to play   :)

Edited by RUSH-2112, 13 May 2014 - 05:12 PM.

#36 Narps

Narps

Official TRF Pace Car Driver

• Members
  • 27736 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:13 PM

View PostKennyLee, on 13 May 2014 - 03:54 PM, said:

I've never had a problem with Freewill at all. Maybe just been playing it so long?

Xanadu and La Villa require a ton of feel on the guitar. That's where a lot of guitarists fall short. A lot of soul in those pieces. Challenging on bass and drums, too at times.

Bass wise, Digital Man has always been a song where I have to warm up before I play. Can't go in cold at all. Very aggressive and some tough runs.

YYZed is challenging but never a doubt on it live. Too comfortable with it.

As Rush-2112 mentioned, Jacob's Ladder can be tricky. As familiar as I am I still don't know what the hell Neil is doing back there and you have to pay pretty close attention not to miss a beat. If you do... train wreck.
Squire probably couldn't handle it..... :D

#37 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42714 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:19 PM

View PostRUSH-2112, on 13 May 2014 - 05:11 PM, said:

You are right Kenny.   If one let's Jacobs Ladder get away, it can very easily train wreck, and there is no recovering from that. :)

Lorraine - The music sounds simple but some of it is quite complex with many time signature changes and patterns.   It's really fun to play   :)

Yes, I have read a few here say as much.  It really is a shame that my ear is musically untrained.  On account of that,  I can't fully appreciate how talented they truly are.

#38 Lorraine

Lorraine

Dial-Up Diva

• Members *
  • 42714 posts

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:34 PM

Here's a question:  how can you tell if a musician is "technically challenged"?  :laughing guy:   By that I mean, they can play and don't go off-key, but they aren't intense musicians - just basic.   Am I making any sense?  I guess it is the difference between a real pro and an amateur.    Those of you here who know your stuff, can you tell when you listen?

Edited by Lorraine, 13 May 2014 - 05:34 PM.

#39 Narps

Narps

Official TRF Pace Car Driver

• Members
  • 27736 posts
  • Interests:Exercise, my children, my new grandchildren(twin boys), the rest of my life...

Posted 13 May 2014 - 05:43 PM

View PostLorraine, on 13 May 2014 - 05:34 PM, said:

Here's a question:  how can you tell if a musician is "technically challenged"?  :laughing guy:   By that I mean, they can play and don't go off-key, but they aren't intense musicians - just basic.   Am I making any sense?  I guess it is the difference between a real pro and an amateur. Those of you here who know your stuff, can you tell when you listen?
This may or may not help. My mother was the organist and pianist in my church growing up. She took probably 15 years of lessons and could play the notes on the page and you would swear she was a really good player. She talks to this day how she really isn't. She know a "talented pianist" when she hears one and points it out when we happen to be together at one of my dads singing shows. She will say how beautifully this or that person plays the organ or piano. I will say hey mom "you play great" and she is like no not like that, they have talent..... :huh:

#40 apetersvt

apetersvt

The Professor

• Members
  • 3433 posts
  • Interests:wine (good beer and cheap liquor actually), women, and song

Posted 13 May 2014 - 07:37 PM

Songs that I've struggled with on guitar:
the tSoR intro
the solos for The Necromancer
Presentation solo

Xanadu isn't too bad.
La Villa is a bitch, but as mentioned most of it isn't too bad.  The intro classical rundown is something I wont attempt as it will be futile for me.  The rest of it I just about have.  Probably because I've played it 2111 times.  Maybe I'll finally nail it next time.

Being an old school Rush fan, I really don't play much of the new stuff (Signals on).  I did pick up the tab book for Clockwork Angels however.  Love it.

Edited by apetersvt, 13 May 2014 - 07:39 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users