First Rush Concert?

Dave

• Replies 130
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Rivendell @ Sep 12 2004, 03:53 PM)
QUOTE (Alsgalpal @ Sep 12 2004, 12:24 PM)
Counterparts, 1997, Portland, Oregon 653.gif

Sure about that? unsure.gif

CP was released in 93 with most of the tour in 94

T4E was released in 96 with most of the tour in 97

My first RUSH show was June 17, 1990, Alpine Valley, Wisconsin, Presto tour. This was the first tour after I turned 18 and my parent wouldn't let me go before then mad.gif

QUOTE (rushfreak @ Sep 12 2004, 03:59 PM)
QUOTE (Rivendell @ Sep 12 2004, 03:53 PM)
QUOTE (Alsgalpal @ Sep 12 2004, 12:24 PM)
Counterparts, 1997, Portland, Oregon 653.gif

Sure about that? unsure.gif

CP was released in 93 with most of the tour in 94

T4E was released in 96 with most of the tour in 97

My first RUSH show was June 17, 1990, Alpine Valley, Wisconsin, Presto tour. This was the first tour after I turned 18 and my parent wouldn't let me go before then mad.gif

unsure.gif oops.gif I meant T4E. I am slightly off today, as in everyday.... wacko.gif

I dunno if everyone knows my story, but my first Rush concert was absolutely the greatest concert I have ever gone to or will ever go to. It was July 9th, 2002 at the Bristow, VA (DC) show on the Vapor Trails tour. My friend and I knew about the concert a few months in advance and bought a couple crappy section 300 tickets. We figured we didnt care where we sat, because it was gonna be Rush, anywhere would be incredible.

Well, a week before the concert, we go to the website of 98 Rock, local radio station in Baltimore, and find out that they are having a contest. The 2 people who dress up the most for the radio station would win free front row tickets to see Rush. We HAD to win that contest. So we head out to a fabric store, figuring we could find something to make there. We find some purple fabric that is the same shade as the background for the radio stations logo and figure that works. We get home, make 2 huge purple capes out of them and put paint on the back to write out the logo of the radio station. Then we get a couple white shirts and draw all over them.

Day of the concert, we walk to the booth in our huge capes, and find our way to the 98 Rock booth. We stand around there for a bit, talking to the dj's that were there and whoever else says hi. No one even came close, the best thing there was a guy with the Fly By Night eagle tattooed, and a couple college looking kids with a shirt they drew. So after 2 hours of standing, they announce we are the winners and hand us our front row tickets. SCORE!!!!!!

We had seats DIRECTLY infront of Geddy and were rocking out like it was the end of the world. I couldnt believe the circumstances that placed us in front row of my very favorite band for my very first concert of them. There was definatly eye contact between us and Alex/Geddy for a bit (whose not gonna notice two goons in giant purple capes??) which was just so cool.

That was without a doubt, the greatest rock show I have ever been to, and I dont care if I find my way to front row again, nothing in hell will ever top that show that I went to with my friend. The very next day, I moved to California and have been here ever since. I was originally gonna move earlier that year, almost directly after HS, but I convinced my father to let me stay long enough for the concert.

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Sep 12 2004, 05:22 PM)
laugh.gif Moon I never heard that story! Too funny!! Any pictures??

nope, no pictures. The radio station took a few of us, but they never posted them (I kept checking there site for months afterwards). An interesting note, we knew we were gonna be far back, so brought binoculars along with us. Lol, we were the only ones in front row with binoculars. I remember putting them on at one point to see Geddys fingers as close as possible while he was playing, I wonder if they noticed at all, laugh.gif

Nope wasnt RF!!

My first Rush show was with RF June 17, 1990 at Alpine Valley!!! Drove from the far southside of Chicago ( an hour south) with 2 car loads of people. We brrowed my Grandpas pld station wagon, the kind with the seat in the far back facing out full of people. It took about 4 hours to get there. Needless to say all of us being in our late teens no one had money for a hotel room so we had to drive all the way back home. A LONG ride. Got home about the crack of dawn but it was SOOOOOO worth it. The show was awesome!!! I was so happy that they played so many songs I wanted to hear! Like Red Barchetta! I figured that they would never play it. RF got the songs he wanted too, it was just asn amazing night.

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Sep 12 2004, 04:56 PM)
First concert was September 11th 2004 in Birmingham UK.

Just flew home this evening.

Amazing weekend, Rush on stage AND I got to meet Chasartymac as well!!!.

I'll write something more coherent when my brain calms down!!!!

AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif

Very Cool! When u come back from the clouds give us your review of the show! My first show was July of 2002 and it was such an amazing experience!

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Sep 12 2004, 05:30 PM)
http://98online.com/

Just noticed this, yup thats the station. For years, that was the only station I listened to, and where I recieved my first exposure to Rush. Definatly my favorite radio station. Sorry 107.7 the bone, you are very cool, but until you get me front row at a Rush concert, you can never be my favorite radio station.

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Sep 12 2004, 08:33 PM)
QUOTE (BSG @ Sep 12 2004, 05:31 PM)
QUOTE (Moonraker @ Sep 12 2004, 09:20 PM)
....there was a guy with the Fly By Night eagle tattooed...

Couldn't have been our own Rushfreak? confused13.gif

GREAT story, Moon!

Nope, was definatly a lot older and fatter.

No F*cking Way. When I was at Bristow this year I met a guy that had the cover of FBN tattoo'd on his right upper arm(not extended wings, just like on the cover and blue) and I met him in the first 3 rows on Geddy's side, we compared tattoo's. rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif I would bet that it's the same guy Moon, he was also older and fatter than I am yes.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

QUOTE (rushfreak @ Sep 12 2004, 09:44 PM)
QUOTE (Moonraker @ Sep 12 2004, 08:33 PM)
QUOTE (BSG @ Sep 12 2004, 05:31 PM)
QUOTE (Moonraker @ Sep 12 2004, 09:20 PM)
....there was a guy with the Fly By Night eagle tattooed...

Couldn't have been our own Rushfreak? confused13.gif

GREAT story, Moon!

Nope, was definatly a lot older and fatter.

No F*cking Way. When I was at Bristow this year I met a guy that had the cover of FBN tattoo'd on his right upper arm(not extended wings, just like on the cover and blue) and I met him in the first 3 rows on Geddy's side, we compared tattoo's. rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif I would bet that it's the same guy Moon, he was also older and fatter than I am yes.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

HA, it must have been. I am trying to remember which shoulder it was on, but it was on one of them. I remember he was quite pissed that I got the ticket and he didnt. Complained that he had the tattoo for years so was a long time fan. I guess he didnt read the fine print, you had to dress up for the radio station, not the band.

May 25, 1984 at the Cow Palace SF (technically Daly City) with Gary Moore opening up.

Grace Under Pressure tour. I was 17. This was the second of 3 dates at the Cow Palace. This was the only time I went to only one show of a tour. Alex broke 2 strings and Geddy broke one. Interesting.

Archived