Canadian cuisine...

GeddyRulz

QUOTE (sundog @ Feb 28 2010, 06:45 AM)
1) The milk in bags is meant to protect the vitamins in the milk prior to it being consumed.

The gallons are in transparent/semi-transparent gallons and the light will damage the vitamin content of the milk.

The bags are opaque and you only have 1/3 of the milk exposed to the damaging light keeping the vitamins intact longer.

2) Ketchup chips while not my favourite are pretty good. Dill pickle rock the house. Also Sea Salt and Pepper are tops on my list. The Americans I have brought them too (Pagscon) seem to really enjoy them!!

3)Poutine, - looks gross, but that leaves more for those of us that eat it. It is so freakin' yummy.... honest. Yes, it's a heart attack on a plate - but really, don't knock it until you try it.

4) and this one wasn't mentioned - butter tarts. In a word "divine" drool1.gif

Why do I feel that this thread is attacking Canada?? unsure.gif

th1245.gif

Sorry Sundog no harm meant. biggrin.gif We're not attacking Canada after all they brought us the great band Rush.

I imagine there is food here in the U.S. that is just not to the liking of the peeps from other countries.

• Replies 74
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (Janie @ Feb 26 2010, 01:23 PM)
QUOTE (Arleen2112 @ Feb 26 2010, 01:11 PM)
http://i248.photobucket.com/albums/gg174/Arleen66/coffeecrisp.jpg

This! I want this!! Ok, Canada has redeemed itself.

You can find stores at the mall where you can buy candy in bulk and they will have a section that has candy from other countries. Two we have here in Colorado are Fuzziwigs and Sweets from Heaven.

I like all the different kinds of candy's by Nestle/Cadbury that we don't normally get on store shelves.

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Feb 28 2010, 02:42 PM)
QUOTE (sundog @ Feb 28 2010, 06:45 AM)
1) The milk in bags is meant to protect the vitamins in the milk prior to it being consumed. 

The gallons are in transparent/semi-transparent gallons and the light will damage the vitamin content of the milk. 

The bags are opaque and you only have 1/3 of the milk exposed to the damaging light keeping the vitamins intact longer.

2) Ketchup chips while not my favourite are pretty good.  Dill pickle rock the house.  Also Sea Salt and Pepper are tops on my list.  The Americans I have brought them too (Pagscon) seem to really enjoy them!!

3)Poutine, - looks gross, but that leaves more for those of us that eat it.  It is so freakin' yummy.... honest.  Yes, it's a heart attack on a plate - but really, don't knock it until you try it.

4) and this one wasn't mentioned - butter tarts.  In a word "divine"  drool1.gif

Why do I feel that this thread is attacking Canada??  unsure.gif

th1245.gif

Sorry Sundog no harm meant. biggrin.gif We're not attacking Canada after all they brought us the great band Rush.

I imagine there is food here in the U.S. that is just not to the liking of the peeps from other countries.

Here's a question which foods are native cuisine to America? Most of the food you guys have seem to be from the other countries who have imigrated there. I guess you guys have American Cheese... but what else.. I'm curious.

I have honestly never heard, seen or even THOUGHT of milk being sold in a BAG.

Are other liquids in Canada sold in bags? I get that the milk jugs are transparent and the bags are opaque but... why don't you just make opaque jugs? confused13.gif And do your bags ever break before getting them home? I'd hate to have something prick it and have a leak! But I guess hard containers can break too. It just seems like trying to build a sandcastle with sand and no water -- It's mind boggling, I tell ya!

As for dill chips, I've had those somewhere here. I've had pickle chips too (potato chips with pickle flavor. They are better than they sound). Ketchup chips? No but I know my fiance would love them -- he owns a t-shirt that says "I put ketchup on my ketchup"

Never had poutine but I do love cheese curds. And gravy. And fries are my favorite food in the entire world. So I might like it.

I also think it was when I visited Montreal that I got vinegar with my fries? Or was it mayo? I eat either on fries, the latter being a death sentence but it's SO good. I LOVE FRIES. drool1.gif

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Feb 28 2010, 04:44 PM)
As for dill chips, I've had those somewhere here.  I've had pickle chips too (potato chips with pickle flavor.  They are better than they sound).

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b342/sl33v/LAYS_Dill_Pickle.gif

Old Dutch has come out with Creamy Dill.

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b342/sl33v/lookproductsphp.jpg

They are basically taste like sour cream and dill pickle

Dill chips are probably just the same as Dill Pickle

Edited by Modest Man From Mandrake

^^^ I like both sour cream and dill potato chips AND salt and vinegar flavor. So I'd probably like the pickle flavored.

QUOTE (Mara @ Feb 28 2010, 06:15 PM)
^^^ I like both sour cream and dill potato chips AND salt and vinegar flavor. So I'd probably like the pickle flavored.

They are good!

Sour cream and bacon is another good flavor. If you ever get a chance to eat these do it!!! do it do it!!! LOL

http://i22.photobucket.com/albums/b342/sl33v/scrmbacon.jpg

QUOTE (Modest Man From Mandrake @ Feb 28 2010, 07:28 PM)
^^^  I like both sour cream and dill potato chips AND salt and vinegar flavor.  So I'd probably like the pickle flavored.

They are good!

Sour cream and bacon is another good flavor. If you ever get a chance to eat these do it!!! do it do it!!! LOL

Okay, now I must know more about "Caffeine Cam's." Sounds like my kinda place!

QUOTE (Modest Man From Mandrake @ Feb 28 2010, 06:28 PM)
^^^  I like both sour cream and dill potato chips AND salt and vinegar flavor.  So I'd probably like the pickle flavored.

They are good!

Oh yes, Sour Cream and Bacon are yummmmmmmy.

yes.gif

QUOTE (sundog @ Feb 28 2010, 07:46 PM)
maple leaf cookies

062802puke_prv.gif god I hate those cookies. My grandmother loved them though. Of course I hate maple flavor... Cept for Maple syrup. I like real maple syrup. yes.gif

QUOTE (Modest Man From Mandrake @ Feb 28 2010, 07:51 PM)
maple leaf cookies

062802puke_prv.gif god I hate those cookies. My grandmother loved them though. Of course I hate maple flavor... Cept for Maple syrup. I like real maple syrup. yes.gif

http://www.seriouseats.com/images/20081110BLOGWATCHMapleCreamCookies.jpg

drool1.gif

QUOTE (sundog @ Feb 28 2010, 07:57 PM)
maple leaf cookies

drool1.gif

Yeah those little devils laugh.gif

I really dislike maple fudge too... confused13.gif

QUOTE (sundog @ Feb 28 2010, 06:43 PM)
QUOTE (Modest Man From Mandrake @ Feb 28 2010, 06:28 PM)

They are good!

Oh yes, Sour Cream and Bacon are yummmmmmmy.

yes.gif

agreed....i love those.....

QUOTE (Modest Man From Mandrake @ Feb 28 2010, 09:09 PM)
QUOTE (sundog @ Feb 28 2010, 07:57 PM)
maple leaf cookies

drool1.gif

Yeah those little devils laugh.gif

I really dislike maple fudge too... confused13.gif

Maple fudge does not sound good, gotta agree. But really good maple syrup - yum.

QUOTE (Mara @ Feb 26 2010, 05:19 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Feb 26 2010, 05:19 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Feb 26 2010, 03:22 PM)
And bagged milk seems a little too close to looking and feeling like an actual udder. The spout should be teat shaped!  laugh.gif

Actually we use these jugs tongue.gif

http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae180/captaincomeback4009/milk_jug.jpg

laugh.gif

But seriously, what's the point? It seems like a big pain in the ass. Cartons are so much easier.

Why can't you just pour the milk in the container/jug when you get it home? Why keep it in the bag IN the container?

QUOTE (daveyt @ Feb 28 2010, 10:05 PM)
omg those maple sugar treats are frickin' delicacies. i forget what they are called

Maple drops? Those are good.. melt in your mouth as soon as they hit your tongue. smile.gif

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Feb 28 2010, 09:04 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Feb 26 2010, 05:19 PM)
QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Feb 26 2010, 05:19 PM)
QUOTE (Janie @ Feb 26 2010, 03:22 PM)
And bagged milk seems a little too close to looking and feeling like an actual udder. The spout should be teat shaped!  laugh.gif

Actually we use these jugs tongue.gif

http://i969.photobucket.com/albums/ae180/captaincomeback4009/milk_jug.jpg

laugh.gif

But seriously, what's the point? It seems like a big pain in the ass. Cartons are so much easier.

Why can't you just pour the milk in the container/jug when you get it home? Why keep it in the bag IN the container?

You can buy normal jugs of milk like you can in America. If people are using bags of milk it's cause they want to. I don't use bag milk at all. Too much of a pain in the ass.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Feb 26 2010, 08:46 PM)
QUOTE (Cinderella Man @ Feb 26 2010, 07:27 PM)
just one question, WHAT THE HECK IS CHAR  confused13.gif

I believe it's a fish that is part of the salmon family.

I've always seen/heard it referred to a Arctic Char and I really like it.

QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Feb 27 2010, 02:23 PM)

I just saw these photos right now and nearly creamed my jeans!

Remind me to never take you to lunch...

QUOTE (RushNut @ Mar 1 2010, 03:34 PM)
QUOTE (Godeater2112 @ Feb 27 2010, 02:23 PM)

I just saw these photos right now and nearly creamed my jeans!

Remind me to never take you to lunch...

Never leave this board. I would miss your avatars terribly.