Overall Favorite Rush Album

647 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your favorite Rush studio album? (1122 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your favorite Rush studio album?

1. Rush (Original Album) (10 votes [0.89%])

Percentage of vote: 0.89%

2. Fly By Night (12 votes [1.06%])

Percentage of vote: 1.06%

3. Caress of Steel (32 votes [2.84%])

Percentage of vote: 2.84%

4. 2112 (82 votes [7.28%])

Percentage of vote: 7.28%

5. A Farewell to Kings (89 votes [7.90%])

Percentage of vote: 7.90%

6. Hemispheres (175 votes [15.53%])

Percentage of vote: 15.53%

7. Permanent Waves (139 votes [12.33%])

Percentage of vote: 12.33%

8. Moving Pictures (209 votes [18.54%])

Percentage of vote: 18.54%

9. Signals (84 votes [7.45%])

Percentage of vote: 7.45%

10. Grace Under Pressure (63 votes [5.59%])

Percentage of vote: 5.59%

11. Power Windows (58 votes [5.15%])

Percentage of vote: 5.15%

12. Hold Your Fire (38 votes [3.37%])

Percentage of vote: 3.37%

13. Presto (34 votes [3.02%])

Percentage of vote: 3.02%

14. Roll the Bones (20 votes [1.77%])

Percentage of vote: 1.77%

15. Counterparts (26 votes [2.31%])

Percentage of vote: 2.31%

16. Test For Echo (11 votes [0.98%])

Percentage of vote: 0.98%

17. Vapor Trails (42 votes [3.73%])

Percentage of vote: 3.73%

18. Feedback (3 votes [0.27%])

Percentage of vote: 0.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#21 Proggy

Proggy

The Seeker

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:The usual; music (coupled with air drumming lol), reading (mostly on-line nowadays!) and hitting the gym a couple of times a week...

Posted 15 September 2004 - 06:06 AM

My holy trinity consists of Hemispheres, Permanent Waves and Grace Under Pressure.

But Grace is probably the album I would grab with me if a fire broke out in my apartment... So Grace it is.  biggrin.gif

Edited by Proggy, 15 September 2004 - 06:06 AM.

Sponsored Post

#22 faultline

faultline

The Seeker

• Members *
  • 179 posts

Posted 18 September 2004 - 03:01 AM

I voted for Hemisheres as well...I guess mostly because it meant a lot to me when I was 16. At the time, It seemed like every Rush album was getting better than the last one. 2112 then ATWAS, FTK , then Hemisheres. I remember wondering where the band was going to go from there. I listened to Hemispheres for about a full year before I got sick of it. When PW released, another corner was turned it seemed to me. There was radio play of TSOR, and shorter songs again. It also took me only a few months to tire of the album. When MP came out, I could only listen to LL a couple of times  befor I would not play it anymore.These latter two albums are great!, but not the same to me as Hemisheres. Every song it truly great, except Circumstance, which is merely "GOOD".  

#23 CygnusX-1Bk2

CygnusX-1Bk2

Certified Verbal Ass Kicker

• 3774 posts
  • Interests:Sound Design & Effects for games and picture (my main gig). Music (sometimes more than a hobby, it's paid the bills at times).
    Sound recording, which is also my job.
    Baseball.

Posted 18 September 2004 - 03:15 AM

Well, went with Hemispheres because it is close to perfect. Circumstances is awesome! I would rather hear that over the Trees any time. But All of that album is great, period. Permanent Waves is also my favorite. These two always nudge each other out of the way for me. I've been on a Hemispheres thing lately too. I guess it comes down to the fact that I will skip Different Strings and occasionally Entre Nous, whereas Hemispheres must be played continuously from start to finish.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2, 18 September 2004 - 03:17 AM.

#24 Phoenix

Phoenix

Disciple of the 42

• Members
  • 1573 posts
  • Interests:Computers
    Fantasy Books
    Rock & Metal
    Rush Trading

Posted 18 September 2004 - 05:16 AM

For me itīs RTB.
The first reason is that RTB, was the first album came out when I got hooked on Rush.
The second reason is that I had my first Rush Show on that Tour and many special memories to this show.

#25 faultline

faultline

The Seeker

• Members *
  • 179 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 12:42 AM

QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Sep 18 2004, 03:15 AM)
Well, went with Hemispheres because it is close to perfect. Circumstances is awesome! I would rather hear that over the Trees any time.

How can this be???  Circumstances, to me ,sounds like it was written musically in just a few minutes!...It has the rustic interlude, which is the most enjoable part of the song, but frankly seems like a song thrown in to fill out the album....Soooo how many tours has Rush thrown Circumstances into the set???hmm....sorry to be so critical...if you like the song, then you like it...it is just that The Trees is my  all time favorite Rush song...When it came out, I loved it right away...And while the Beegees ,  Cheap Trick, and Styx were on the radio, i was listening to Hemispheres...especially The Trees.

#26 Moonraker

Moonraker

O_o

• Members *
  • 6362 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 12:48 AM

QUOTE (Phoenix @ Sep 18 2004, 02:16 AM)
For me itīs RTB.
The first reason is that RTB, was the first album came out when I got hooked on Rush.
The second reason is that I had my first Rush Show on that Tour and many special memories to this show.

Great choice Phoenix, I can understand why.

#27 CygnusX-1Bk2

CygnusX-1Bk2

Certified Verbal Ass Kicker

• 3774 posts
  • Interests:Sound Design & Effects for games and picture (my main gig). Music (sometimes more than a hobby, it's paid the bills at times).
    Sound recording, which is also my job.
    Baseball.

Posted 19 September 2004 - 02:40 AM

The vocal is extremely high on Circumstances. They have only played all of Hemispheres on that tour and Permanent Waves. Doesn't make it any less great, just too high to be sung live.
Circumstances has great lyrics, both english and french (one of the coolest things about this song are the french lyrics). Great imagery. I identify with the narrative. With no guitar solo it is kind of a an early prototype of where they eventually went musically. It is very concise and to the point. Compact. But it is an example of the best things that Rush do as a band. The drums progress nicely throughout the song with each chorus. The patterns are classic Neil. Also the drum fill in the middle of the second verse (before "These walls that still surround me") is one of the coolest all time Neil fills, period. The guitar parts are also excellent; the texture of the tone with with the slight delay and chorus against the contrast of the acoustic middle, the guitar and bass doubled lick that leads into the chorus is brilliant. There is just enough synth, has some glockenspiel for added "extra" percussion. The bass part is also great, especially the bass fill after "The things that I once dreamed of."
I have heard the Trees so many times and is much more "typical" because of the acoustic intro (which they had done quite a bit to that point). The lyrics are clever, but are too clever after 25 years. I like the Trees, but having heard it so much more live it is a much less desireable song for me. Plus now that Neil plays this song on the electric kit really bugs me. Give me real drums and temple blocks anytime.

Edited by CygnusX-1Bk2, 19 September 2004 - 02:44 AM.

#28 faultline

faultline

The Seeker

• Members *
  • 179 posts

Posted 19 September 2004 - 10:20 PM

When I went to "Tour of the Hemispheres", I had not bought the Album yet. I was broke , and none of my friends had it. The concert tickets were for my 16 th B-Day!....So, after cyngnus x-1......." and now book two- Hemisheres!" says GEddy, I got to hear hemispheres for the 1st time live!...any way, when I finally bought the LP ...I wanted to hear that song , whith a certain guitar phrase that I recollected from the show. It turns it was the guitar phrase right befoe  the chorus "All the same we take our chances!...."      Anyway...I just want to clarify, that I dont hate the song....PS....I had a friend in hs , she kenw french....so I recited the french part of the song to find out what it said....only to find it was same as the following englesh line.."The more that things change, the more they stay the same"..hey so I wasnt so bright at 16 smile.gif  

#29 madra sneachta

madra sneachta

Dirk Gently

• Members *
  • 7372 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 08:03 AM

QUOTE (faultline @ Sep 19 2004, 06:42 AM)
QUOTE (CygnusX-1Bk2 @ Sep 18 2004, 03:15 AM)
Well, went with Hemispheres because it is close to perfect. Circumstances is awesome! I would rather hear that over the Trees any time.

How can this be???  Circumstances, to me ,sounds like it was written musically in just a few minutes!...It has the rustic interlude, which is the most enjoable part of the song, but frankly seems like a song thrown in to fill out the album....Soooo how many tours has Rush thrown Circumstances into the set???hmm....sorry to be so critical...if you like the song, then you like it...it is just that The Trees is my  all time favorite Rush song...When it came out, I loved it right away...And while the Beegees ,  Cheap Trick, and Styx were on the radio, i was listening to Hemispheres...especially The Trees.

To be honest, I think The Trees is the one that sounds more like it was written in a few minutes. It's no less a great song for that, but I suspect Circumstances took longer to write.

If I had to choose between the two, I'd probably pick The Trees because it's a quintessential Rush song, but I personally prefer Circumstances.

#30 RushRevisited

RushRevisited

The Hailing Administrator

• Admin
  • 21838 posts
  • Interests:My Family, Music, Golf, Astronomy

Posted 20 September 2004 - 08:35 AM

I would definately prefer Circumstances - great song.  The Trees I have heard too much - I need a break from it.

#31 Singularity

Singularity

Jukebox Hero

• Members *
  • 288 posts

Posted 20 September 2004 - 07:28 PM

QUOTE (BSG @ Sep 12 2004, 05:17 PM)
Hold Your Fire

The album meant so much to me at a rough time in my life.

Absolute and without a doubt DITTO!  Same here.  I could consider many of 'em as my fave, but HYF just makes me happiest.  Cheers me up no matter what.  

#32 Indica

Indica

Resident Left Winger

• Members
  • 13031 posts
  • Interests:Guitar
    My Girlfriend
    Fishing
    Music
    Helping out other people
    Football
    T&A
    Nature

Posted 21 September 2004 - 05:20 PM

Moving Pictures.  

#33 The Notorious B.S.G.

The Notorious B.S.G.

<harumph>

• Members *
  • 3139 posts

Posted 21 September 2004 - 09:42 PM

QUOTE (Singularity @ Sep 20 2004, 08:28 PM)
Hold Your Fire

Absolute and without a doubt DITTO!  Same here.  I could consider many of 'em as my fave, but HYF just makes me happiest.  Cheers me up no matter what.

biggrin.gif  

#34 Singularity

Singularity

Jukebox Hero

• Members *
  • 288 posts

Posted 22 September 2004 - 10:22 PM

QUOTE (BSG @ Sep 21 2004, 09:42 PM)
QUOTE (Singularity @ Sep 20 2004, 08:28 PM)
Hold Your Fire

biggrin.gif

Looks like it's up to us to change a few minds, ey?  waffen093.gif  

#35 terrible_I

terrible_I

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 17 posts
  • Interests: Cartoons, vidoe games, sleeping, lusting over the female species, surfing the web, tennis and poker.

Posted 24 September 2004 - 11:04 PM

I went with Hemispheres. It took me  few listens to get to like it but ultimately I was won over by Alex's arpegio work right before Geddy sings "We can build a world of wonder I will make you all aware." He is truly a underrated rock guitarist.  

#36 madra sneachta

madra sneachta

Dirk Gently

• Members *
  • 7372 posts

Posted 26 September 2004 - 07:32 PM

No votes for AFTK and only 3 for PeW!!

This surprises me confused13.gif  

#37 Centipede

Centipede

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 03:17 PM

I vote for Caress of Steel.

I know its not the best Rush album but Fountain of Lamneth is still great.

Cheers

#38 launchpad67a

launchpad67a

Armchair rocket scientist graffiti existentialist

• 4189 posts
  • Interests:Professional musician, web designer, sound engineer, studio owner, licensed pyrotechnician.
    I am also an avid golfer, drinker and smoker.

Posted 27 September 2004 - 07:21 PM

Mine has to be Hold Your Fire as well. But Permanent Waves is a close second.

I really think Time Stand Still, Mission and Prime Mover are three of the best tunes they ever wrote.

Just an observation here but, has anyone ever noticed the 'old time' rush fans never would buy any recordings after about Moving Pictures? It was always the same reason "the new rush isn't the rush I grew up with".
Well, I started listening to them around '76 and I love all the newer recordings. My feeling is they (almost) always have made a better cd than the one prior.

Mike

#39 Riv

Riv

Semper Fi

• Members *
  • 5980 posts

Posted 27 September 2004 - 07:31 PM

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Sep 27 2004, 05:21 PM)

I really think Time Stand Still, Mission and Prime Mover are three of the best tunes they ever wrote.

WHAT? ok.  smile.gif  

#40 faultline

faultline

The Seeker

• Members *
  • 179 posts

Posted 29 September 2004 - 12:08 AM

QUOTE (launchpad67a @ Sep 27 2004, 07:21 PM)
Mine has to be Hold Your Fire as well. But Permanent Waves is a close second.

Just an observation here but, has anyone ever noticed the 'old time' rush fans never would buy any recordings after about Moving Pictures? It was always the same reason "the new rush isn't the rush I grew up with".
Well, I started listening to them around '76 and I love all the newer recordings. My feeling is they (almost) always have made a better cd than the one prior.

Mike

Mike, off topic, but who did they play with for the 2112 show??...any way, yeah I am sort of that guy- the old rush fan- because i was 17 years old when Perm/waves came out, and started listening when I was 13/14. so yeah, there is a lot of meaning to the early material just because of the sentimentality! BUT!!!I still enjoy the 80's material , and 90's too! just not as much. VT is one of my favorites, as it has nothing stale in it!..

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users