Overall Favorite Rush Album

647 replies to this topic

Poll: What is your favorite Rush studio album? (1123 member(s) have cast votes)

What is your favorite Rush studio album?

1. Rush (Original Album) (10 votes [0.89%])

Percentage of vote: 0.89%

2. Fly By Night (12 votes [1.06%])

Percentage of vote: 1.06%

3. Caress of Steel (32 votes [2.84%])

Percentage of vote: 2.84%

4. 2112 (82 votes [7.27%])

Percentage of vote: 7.27%

5. A Farewell to Kings (89 votes [7.89%])

Percentage of vote: 7.89%

6. Hemispheres (176 votes [15.60%])

Percentage of vote: 15.60%

7. Permanent Waves (139 votes [12.32%])

Percentage of vote: 12.32%

8. Moving Pictures (209 votes [18.53%])

Percentage of vote: 18.53%

9. Signals (84 votes [7.45%])

Percentage of vote: 7.45%

10. Grace Under Pressure (63 votes [5.59%])

Percentage of vote: 5.59%

11. Power Windows (58 votes [5.14%])

Percentage of vote: 5.14%

12. Hold Your Fire (38 votes [3.37%])

Percentage of vote: 3.37%

13. Presto (34 votes [3.01%])

Percentage of vote: 3.01%

14. Roll the Bones (20 votes [1.77%])

Percentage of vote: 1.77%

15. Counterparts (26 votes [2.30%])

Percentage of vote: 2.30%

16. Test For Echo (11 votes [0.98%])

Percentage of vote: 0.98%

17. Vapor Trails (42 votes [3.72%])

Percentage of vote: 3.72%

18. Feedback (3 votes [0.27%])

Percentage of vote: 0.27%

Vote Guests cannot vote

#121 Pags

Pags

Surge of Adrenaline

• 19169 posts
  • Interests:Drumming, Firefighting. Love workin' on projects around my house and spending time with my wife and kids. Rush goes with anything.

Posted 03 November 2004 - 01:02 PM

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Nov 3 2004, 12:04 PM)
Absolutely amazing... I still cannot express how happy I am they brought out Between the Wheels for this tour....  I hope Afterimage makes its way into the setlist in the future too smile.gif

Aw man - when those keyboards started.... I nearly jumped out of my skin.  What a highlight of the R30 show.  What a great song - what a great album!!  biggrin.gif

Afterimage would be an awesome song to hear live.  I wonder if Neil would be ok with it, though.  It's amazing how a song he wrote in the early 80's would have such a connection to his personal life many years down the road.

Sponsored Post

#122 RushRevisited

RushRevisited

The Hailing Administrator

• Admin
  • 21838 posts
  • Interests:My Family, Music, Golf, Astronomy

Posted 03 November 2004 - 01:17 PM

QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 3 2004, 01:02 PM)
Absolutely amazing... I still cannot express how happy I am they brought out Between the Wheels for this tour....  I hope Afterimage makes its way into the setlist in the future too smile.gif

Aw man - when those keyboards started.... I nearly jumped out of my skin.  What a highlight of the R30 show.  What a great song - what a great album!!  biggrin.gif

Afterimage would be an awesome song to hear live.  I wonder if Neil would be ok with it, though.  It's amazing how a song he wrote in the early 80's would have such a connection to his personal life many years down the road.

I have often wondered that about a lot of songs actually - Cold Fire being another....

#123 King Rygar

King Rygar

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 01:47 PM

Oh my God!

Are you telling me they did "Between the Wheels" live on this new tour? I just crapped my pants. I hope there is a 30th Ann. DVD with that on it. Sadly, I have never been part of a Rush concert. I am a relative newbie. The live versions (Rush in Rio, etc) of certain songs kick so so so much ass it leaves me!

Between the wheels .... ahhhh...

In good terms, I have been floating around everything including and after Signals. I had only heard the Rush stuff from the greatest hits stuff, I loved the Show of Hands Video, but when I got the Rush in Rio DVD,  I was truly in love. So many words, and so many sounds, touched my spirit alone, alas, many times I have wept while listening to GUP thinking about certain kin who are gone. But In good faith I will say I love ALL the albums, but as a poll of listening would go, GUP dominates. I have also just grown to love Presto (mainly Chain lightning, Available Light, The Pass, etc) an album I had dismissed other than the listed songs long ago.

Every Rush album is like a book to me, the more I read, the better it gets. I can't explain it! It was a hard choice, indeed. But Grace did and still touches my heart!

This site kicks ass!  653.gif

#124 Pags

Pags

Surge of Adrenaline

• 19169 posts
  • Interests:Drumming, Firefighting. Love workin' on projects around my house and spending time with my wife and kids. Rush goes with anything.

Posted 03 November 2004 - 01:50 PM

QUOTE (King Rygar @ Nov 3 2004, 01:47 PM)
Every Rush album is like a book to me, the more I read, the better it gets.

RR - pardon my forwardness, but I think King Rygar just gave you the Rush Forum's quote of the year!!  This should be bannered on every page.   trink39.gif

I absolutely love this!!

#125 esmeralda

esmeralda

Cinderella in wooden shoes

• Members
  • 4315 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 04:09 PM

I agree, but 2112 is so good.

#126 cla211204

cla211204

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 05:32 PM

This isn't easy! My first impression of Rush was "A Farewell to Kings" in 1978 and I got to see them for the first time on their " Tour of the Hemispheres". I was blown away by their talent and live performance. 2.gif  

#127 Pags

Pags

Surge of Adrenaline

• 19169 posts

Posted 03 November 2004 - 06:36 PM

QUOTE (RushRevisited @ Nov 3 2004, 01:17 PM)
QUOTE (paganoman @ Nov 3 2004, 01:02 PM)
Absolutely amazing... I still cannot express how happy I am they brought out Between the Wheels for this tour....  I hope Afterimage makes its way into the setlist in the future too smile.gif

I have often wondered that about a lot of songs actually - Cold Fire being another....

yes.gif Yeah I hear ya.  I guess that's the drawback of being a writer/lyricist.  Sometimes your own life experiences are hauntingly familiar to what you've written in the past.  So much so, that you can't bear to be around it again.

#128 Proggy

Proggy

The Seeker

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:The usual; music (coupled with air drumming lol), reading (mostly on-line nowadays!) and hitting the gym a couple of times a week...

Posted 04 November 2004 - 05:18 AM

QUOTE (King Rygar @ Nov 3 2004, 01:47 PM)
Oh my God!

Are you telling me they did "Between the Wheels" live on this new tour? I just crapped my pants. I hope there is a 30th Ann. DVD with that on it. Sadly, I have never been part of a Rush concert. I am a relative newbie. The live versions (Rush in Rio, etc) of certain songs kick so so so much ass it leaves me!

Between the wheels .... ahhhh...

In good terms, I have been floating around everything including and after Signals. I had only heard the Rush stuff from the greatest hits stuff, I loved the Show of Hands Video, but when I got the Rush in Rio DVD,  I was truly in love. So many words, and so many sounds, touched my spirit alone, alas, many times I have wept while listening to GUP thinking about certain kin who are gone. But In good faith I will say I love ALL the albums, but as a poll of listening would go, GUP dominates. I have also just grown to love Presto (mainly Chain lightning, Available Light, The Pass, etc) an album I had dismissed other than the listed songs long ago.

Every Rush album is like a book to me, the more I read, the better it gets. I can't explain it! It was a hard choice, indeed. But Grace did and still touches my heart!

This site kicks ass!  653.gif

You kick ass, King Rygar! That is coming from another Grace Under Pressure-lover.  bekloppt.gif

I'm also relatively new to Rush (got hooked last year) and I bought Grace just under a year ago. I first heard DEW and RSA on the RIR dvd and simply had to buy the record soon after that. It has been my fav for a long  time now -a unique album in the catalogue.

But I do love a lot of the older stuff, too -just listening to Hemispheres which is a true gem (listen to RR!  biggrin.gif ) and was my introduction to the band. Just give it a chance and it will hook you soon enough.  cool.gif  

#129 madra sneachta

madra sneachta

Dirk Gently

• Members *
  • 7374 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 11:06 AM

There's so much stuff out there, so many hidden gems in the earlier albums, I envy you guys getting into it for the first time. 2.gif  

#130 Moonraker

Moonraker

O_o

• Members *
  • 6362 posts

Posted 04 November 2004 - 04:43 PM

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Nov 4 2004, 08:06 AM)
There's so much stuff out there, so many hidden gems in the earlier albums, I envy you guys getting into it for the first time. 2.gif

A lot of hidden gems in the later albums too.  biggrin.gif  

#131 NeilPeartFan2112

NeilPeartFan2112

The Analog Kid - Neil's Youngest Protégé

• Members *
  • 11677 posts
  • Interests:Music, drums, collecting

Posted 04 November 2004 - 04:45 PM

QUOTE (Moonraker @ Nov 4 2004, 04:43 PM)
QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Nov 4 2004, 08:06 AM)

A lot of hidden gems in the later albums too.  biggrin.gif

There are hidden gems everywhere biggrin.gif  

#132 King Rygar

King Rygar

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 11:51 AM

I think the earliest album I have right now is 2112, which I really like so I can't really truly say I don't like ALL the old stuff. I don't own Hemisheres YET, it and Power Windows are the last of the few I don't have yet! (Go ahead, hurt me)

I don't even have a record player right now, but I had to get a sealed copy of Grace Under Pressure on LP, that's how nuts I am.

I like to think back to when I thought all Rush had was Tom Sawyer and that damned Trees song. Wow, what I gold mine I was missing!  confused13.gif

Nothing really touches me like Rush stuff anymore, they have spoiled me!

Nice to meet all you cool folk! Now I can finally vent! smile.gif

#133 Pags

Pags

Surge of Adrenaline

• 19169 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 12:19 PM

QUOTE (King Rygar @ Nov 5 2004, 11:51 AM)
I think the earliest album I have right now is 2112, which I really like so I can't really truly say I don't like ALL the old stuff. I don't own Hemisheres YET, it and Power Windows are the last of the few I don't have yet! (Go ahead, hurt me)

I don't even have a record player right now, but I had to get a sealed copy of Grace Under Pressure on LP, that's how nuts I am.

I like to think back to when I thought all Rush had was Tom Sawyer and that damned Trees song. Wow, what I gold mine I was missing!  confused13.gif

Dude, you have no idea how envious I am on you, in a way.  One of my saddest days was the day I went out and bought the COS cd.  Because it was the last of the collection.  I didn't have that new and 'yet to be discovered' album as close as the nearest record store anymore.  After that - I had to wait like everybody else for the next Rush release in order to hear something NEW.

Not to dispair though.  Even as of this morning as I was listening to Roll The Bones live from Different Stages I heard a drum fill I never heard before and it was the greatest thing!!  The discoveries will never end.   1022.gif

#134 RushRevisited

RushRevisited

The Hailing Administrator

• Admin
  • 21838 posts
  • Interests:My Family, Music, Golf, Astronomy

Posted 05 November 2004 - 12:33 PM

QUOTE (King Rygar @ Nov 5 2004, 11:51 AM)

I like to think back to when I thought all Rush had was Tom Sawyer and that damned Trees song. Wow, what I gold mine I was missing!  confused13.gif

you have GOT to get the first 3 albums!

Visit our store here!

#135 King Rygar

King Rygar

Prime Mover

• Members
  • 534 posts

Posted 05 November 2004 - 01:18 PM

I vistited the store, cool! I will have to get Power Windows first though... I also noticed the Remasters of the newer albums...GREAT! Right after I finally got them... smile.gif

I will work my way back to those I PROMISE!

Paganoman! I am almost to that spot. I remember when urge to get a new unheard album really broke in and I was going to the store like 2-3 times a week (as the dough would allow) So many wonderful purchases! I actually started taking care of my CD's (well, BETTER care) thanks to Rush. I won't let them stay at a friends house anymore for fear of destruction (it's happened) I can honestly say that my Rush collection is just about all I put in anymore. I listen to it especially while working, and even with my incomplete collection I still find it hard to have time to listen to everything I want in a day! Always finding new jems and hearing or understanding new lyrics that I missed or misheard, as it were!

I could go on for days, and most likely will  no.gif

#136 bigrushfan

bigrushfan

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 November 2004 - 12:31 PM

has to be hemispheres

#137 lil_rush_dude

lil_rush_dude

Long Awaited Froind

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:Music, favourite bands are Guns N Roses, and of course RUSH!

Posted 06 November 2004 - 02:04 PM

waffen093.gif I'm a young Rush fan and my favourite ever Rush album is the first one I ever heard, '2112'. 'Temples Of Syrinx' is my favourite song by Rush.  

#138 Syrinx

Syrinx

Rushaholic

• Members
  • 1968 posts
  • Interests:Dallas Cowboys!

Posted 08 November 2004 - 03:31 PM

I would have to go with 2112.  Probably not their best, but the one that means the most to me.  I was blown away by it when it came out - must have played that vinyl 100's of times.  Greg

#139 Proggy

Proggy

The Seeker

• Members
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:The usual; music (coupled with air drumming lol), reading (mostly on-line nowadays!) and hitting the gym a couple of times a week...

Posted 09 November 2004 - 06:27 PM

QUOTE (Syrinx @ Nov 8 2004, 03:31 PM)
I would have to go with 2112.  Probably not their best, but the one that means the most to me.  I was blown away by it when it came out - must have played that vinyl 100's of times.  Greg

2112: the only Rush album I liked pretty much from start to finish the very first time I listened to it.

It is still close to being a perfect record. I could do without Grand Finale, though... tongue.gif    

#140 war2112

war2112

Superconductor

• Members *
  • 1091 posts
  • Interests:Target shooting, handloading ammo, rocketry, reading, bicycling, and of course, RUSH.

Posted 10 November 2004 - 02:24 PM

WOW! I was hoping no-one would ever ask this question. How in the hell do I choose from the best catalog on earth? I'll just go with my gut and say Grace under Pressure.

Reply to this topic

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users