Jump to content

Murder at a Nightclub

  • Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 rushengal


    Ahead by a Century

  • Members *
  • 6451 posts
  • Gender:Female
  • Location:Kingston, Ontario
  • Interests:Hockey, Rush, School, Rush, Work, Rush, Internet, Rush, Chatting with Friends, Rush, M*A*S*H, Rush, Firefly, Rush... did I mention Rush?

Posted 26 March 2005 - 09:51 AM

Football player stabbed to death at crowded nightclub

By Jennifer Pritchett

Saturday, March 26, 2005 - 07:00

Local News - A Queen’s University football player was murdered inside a crowded downtown Kingston bar around 2 a.m. yesterday, his killer stabbing him in front of numerous witnesses before fleeing.

Justin Schwieg, 23, a physical education student who grew up in the city’s west end, died after he was stabbed at AJ’s Hangar in what police describe as an unprovoked attack by a man who ran after bar staff confronted him.

A manhunt was underway last night for Bruce Keno Elijah McKenzie, 26, of Brampton. Also known as Fuzzy or Fuzz J, he’s wanted for first-degree murder.

Police believe McKenzie to be armed and dangerous and are advising people not to approach him before calling 911 to report his whereabouts.

“This is a tremendous loss to our community, all because of a vicious and cowardly act,” said Kingston Police Det.-Sgt. Harley Kellar.

Yesterday’s homicide is the first in Kingston since 2003.

Though investigators are releasing few details about the killing, witnesses say Schwieg was stabbed in the throat as he stood among a group of people near the second-floor bar at AJ’s, 393 Princess St.

Chaos erupted after the attack as screaming patrons pushed and shoved each other to get their coats out of the coat check so they could quickly leave the large dance bar, witnesses say.

Moments later, police and ambulance personnel arrived, the music was turned off and an announcement over the sound system instructed all patrons to leave the bar.

Schwieg, who worked part time as a bouncer at The Brass, a Princess Street bar not far from AJ’s, was taken to Kingston General Hospital, where he died.

His family hasn’t made a public statement about his death.

“We’re just in a grieving process – if you could please respect that we’d appreciate it,” said a man who answered the phone at the family’s home last night.

Yesterday, police had cordoned off the entire block around AJ’s, treating the area known as The Hub – a strip of Princess Street jammed with as many as nine bars – as a crime scene for most of the morning.

About a dozen investigators combed the area.

Until about noon, police barricades blocked off all traffic on Princess Street between Division and Barrie streets. Barrie Street was also closed between Queen and Princess streets.

Officers searched garbage cans in the area and used a tractor to lift a dumpster in the alleyway behind the nightclub to search around the container.

At the intersection of Queen and Clergy streets, a Kingston Police officer in a marked cruiser kept close watch of a garbage container with the lid removed and laid beside it near the Blockbuster parking lot. The container was cordoned off with yellow tape.

From the early morning until the afternoon, investigators scanned the ground around the nightclub for anything that might help lead them to their suspect.

The Kingston Police dog, Scout, and his handler, Const. Paul Doak, were called in to assist in the search.

Kingston Fire and Rescue’s largest aerial unit was parked with its ladder extended high above the rooftops at Princess and Barrie streets as a firefighter stood at the top, appearing to be scanning the tops of the buildings.

All morning, people stopped near the police barricades to ask officers what had happened, but were told nothing of the murder.

Even residents who live in the area weren’t permitted to return to their apartments until the afternoon.

Kha Dang, who lives in a unit on Barrie Street, returned home yesterday morning and police told him he couldn’t go inside.

Hours later, he was still standing on the sidewalk on Barrie Street waiting to be allowed to return to his apartment.

“They told me nothing about what happened,” he said.

A Kingston Police cruiser was parked in front of AJ’s and yellow tape blocked entry to both that nightclub and neighbouring Hoppin’ Eddy’s restaurant.

Most restaurants and businesses in the cordoned-off area reopened around noon, but AJ’s, Hoppin’ Eddy’s and The Brass remained closed.

It’s not known if the businesses will reopen today.

Ross Grieve, who owns AJ’s and other establishments on the block, including Stages nightclub and The Grizzly Grill restaurant, sounded shaken as he spoke to a Whig reporter yesterday.

“This is a tragedy beyond comprehension,” he said in a telephone interview.

The businessman declined to comment further on what happened inside the bar because of the ongoing police investigation.

Grieve read the following written statement:

“Staff and management are deeply shocked at the senseless act of violence by one individual at AJ’s Hangar early Friday morning. Our thoughts and sympathies are with the Schwieg family at this time and unfortunately, while this police investigation is continuing, we are not at liberty to comment further.

“Staff are co-operating completely with the police. I would love to say something [more], but I can’t.”

By noon, about two dozen staffers at The Brass were huddled inside the bar after the manager, Mike Wieber, called them together for a meeting.

Young staffers, many of whom are university students, appeared shaken as they arrived at the bar.

Wieber declined to comment.

Patrons who were inside AJ’s when the stabbing occurred are also reeling.

Mandy Snyder, 19, had no idea that something bad had happened until she wandered upstairs at AJ’s sometime around 2 a.m. and saw someone lying on the floor with a lot of people crouched around him.

“I was going up near the pool table near the bar – I was going to get my coat,” she said. “Everybody was pushing. I just stood there. I didn’t know what to do. It’s like I was just in shock.”

At first, she didn’t know what was wrong with the person on the floor.

“I saw the bouncers and the bartenders all around him,” she said. “I was standing back and I couldn’t see what they were doing because they were around him.”

She couldn’t hear anything because the dance music was still playing at that point.

“It was chaotic,” she said.

She remembers seeing blood on the floor and then lots of police officers rushing into the upstairs bar.

“Then they cleared the bar out and made everybody stand out front until they got the people out and asked questions,” she said. “They asked if if I saw anything and I said no. All I said was that I saw the blood.”

She said she waited outside with dozens of others for 90 minutes before they were allowed back inside to get their coats.

Snyder said she also saw a young woman being taken out of the bar on a stretcher around the same time as the stabbing.

However, Kingston Police Staff Sgt. Mike Attwood said investigators aren’t aware of a woman being injured at AJ’s early yesterday.

“It was a completely different confrontation and we’ve never been told about it – it was definitely not in regards to this incident,” he said.

Snyder is so disturbed by what she saw, she vowed never to return to AJ’s.

“Personally, I’ll never go back to that bar again because I was so scared,” she said.

She pointed to another stabbing at AJ’s several weeks ago.

In that attack, a teenage girl was stabbed in the back of the arm and shoulder with a broken beer bottle while in a washroom at the nightclub during the early hours of Feb. 27.

The 19-year-old received 100 stitches and might not have survived had it not been for a group of quick-thinking women who administered first aid. She has since been released from hospital.

Cleopatra Ncube, 21, has been charged with assault with a weapon, aggravated assault and possession of a dangerous weapon. She’s been released on bail.

Some would say these violent acts are anything but isolated incidents in Kingston’s “hub” of downtown nightlife.

A Kingston Police report nearly five years ago highlighted the area as a magnet for trouble.

Statistics compiled by the force in 2000 show that nearly half of all calls for service in the downtown core between Division and Ontario streets were to one block – the area between Division and Barrie streets – from January to September of that year.

After the report was made public, Kingston Police Chief Bill Closs described the situation in the hub at that time as “becoming problematic.” He said the problem was related to the concentration of establishments in one small area.

Criminologist Ray Lonsdale, who produced the calls-for-service study, also had some damning commentary about the entertainment district in September 2000, at a meeting of Kingston’s police services board, the civilian body that oversees the force.

“It’s a completely safe city once the sun [comes] up, but when the sun goes down, exercise some discretion,” he said.
ID- 103267


This guy was a neighbour of mine, lived 3 houses down the cresent.

Sponsored Post

#2 Slacker


    The Paradise of Milk

  • Members *
  • 10649 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Rockaway Beach, NY..
  • Interests:Throwing things.

Posted 26 March 2005 - 02:22 PM

Peace to his Family.....Senseless user posted image

#3 barney_rebel


    The Camera Guy

  • Moderator
  • 27059 posts
  • Gender:Male
  • Location:Markhong, Ontario

Posted 03 April 2005 - 10:05 AM

Isn't there some sort of Ryerson connection with drugs too?  Some Ryerson guy got shot or something as well.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users