The North Face

Tick

Ok, now no one be offended if you wear one of these coats,(you will be) but what is the deal with the trendy brand, "The North Face" ? I see a gazillion of these coats everywhere I go, and really, they are nothing special. In fact the most popular one I see is actually quite ugly. Its like a flease with The North Face logo on the back right shoulder. Ugly ! I'm not one to follow the heard and wear something everyone is wearing so I wouldn't personally want one of these coats.

I was at the mall with my wife yesterday and we went to Target to look around. We started playing a game. How many The North Face coats can we spot before we leave the store. I asked her if she thought we could reach 10. She said yes. We wound up spotting 12 in 10 minutes of walking around. Its ridiculous that everyone wants to wear the same thing.

Not me, no thanks ! atickhum.gif

• Like 1

confused13.gif It's trendy, I guess. A coat is a coat as far as I'm concerned. I don't need to be "in style" to be warm. I'm sure they cost WAY too much, too!
  • Like 1

I know what you're talking about. I think what's going on is that it gives some wannabes the opportunity to be seen vicariously as adventurers and outdoorsmen. Some people buy SUVs with names like Highlander and Tahoe for the same reason. Granted, SUVs are about all we have available these days but the ads are designed to show SUV owners as offroaders and adventurer types and I've no doubt this is what's going on in the back of the minds of some of the people who buy them. But probably 99% of SUV owners have never even driven on a gravel lane before. Edited by Ghost of a Rider
  • Like 1

I feel like I see less North Face stuff now than, say, 5-8 years ago.

A lot of the people I run with regularly are obsessed with Under Armour. I think it's because the brand makes great athletic stuff, but it's pricey. I own nothing UA since I'm a cheapskate.

• Like 2

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Feb 7 2010, 10:24 AM)

A lot of the people I run with regularly are obsessed with Under Armour. I think it's because the brand makes great athletic stuff, but it's pricey. I own nothing UA since I'm a cheapskate.

I'm a cheapskate too, but I still wouldn't wear something that so many people are wearing. Its clonish. I litterally saw dozens of these coats at the mall yesterday. It was quite ridiculous imo.

• Like 1

QUOTE (iluvgeddy05 @ Feb 7 2010, 10:24 AM)

I have some UA skins I got for around $15 apiece on sale. I wear them to row. Or did. Before I dislocated my stupid artificial hip on the rower a week ago. But I digress.

My "heavy" winter coat is a Land's End. Rated for -30, which never happens in Georgia. I guess I don't see as much NF stuff due to location.

Now if I could just find some SOCKS rated for -30. . .

• Like 1

QUOTE (tick @ Feb 7 2010, 09:56 AM)
Ok, now no one be offended if you wear one of these coats,(you will be) but what is the deal with the trendy brand, "The North Face" ? I see a gazillion of these coats everywhere I go, and really, they are nothing special. In fact the most popular one I see is actually quite ugly. Its like a flease with The North Face logo on the back right shoulder. Ugly ! I'm not one to follow the heard and wear something everyone is wearing so I wouldn't personally want one of these coats.
I was at the mall with my wife yesterday and we went to Target to look around. We started playing a game. How many The North Face coats can we spot before we leave the store. I asked her if she thought we could reach 10. She said yes. We wound up spotting 12 in 10 minutes of walking around. Its ridiculous that everyone wants to wear the same thing.

It must be a conspiracy by the Toyota Motor Corporation!!!!

rofl3.gif

• Like 1

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Feb 7 2010, 10:53 AM)

rofl3.gif

It must be ! kishug.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Feb 7 2010, 11:20 AM)
QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Feb 7 2010, 10:53 AM)

rofl3.gif

It must be ! kishug.gif

If that's the case, I'd be careful about wearing one to do any serious mountain climbing! ( I imagine that only applies to about .01% of TNF owners).

I've got a North Face half-zip pullover that I like a lot, but that's the only thing of theirs that I own. I prefer Columbia (hey, it's good enough for Les Stroud, that's all the endorsement I need). As far as priceyness is concerned, I buy all my clothes at Marshall's or TJ Maxx. I'm too old to care if it's last year's style, I care about saving money. In fact I got a really cool Columbia jacket back in November at Marshall's. The regular price was $110, but they were selling it for $25.

About 1 1/2 years ago, my oldest son needed a new jacket, and when I asked him what he'd like, he asked very sweetly if we could "afford" to get him a North Face jacket.

Yes, they're trendy. Yes, he wanted one because some of his friends had them and he liked the way they looked.

I went to an outlet, found him a nice one for what any good jacket or coat would cost, and he was very grateful.

I remember being a kid (esp. at this age) and wanting to be like everyone else, in some ways. I think within reason, it's okay to let kids have something like this if you can manage it. He knows that clothes don't make him who he is, but he felt good about his coat, and to me that's okay.

The jacket's washable and very sturdy. He still wears it every day.

(This written by a mom who used to be a teenaged girl who wanted one pair of Guess jeans SO badly....)

I had a Member's Only jacket. Actually TWO of them. A lightweight one and a heavier version. It was DURING the phase even. Something I usually never do, but i thought they were very sweet looking coats back then. I remember getting the rude awakening though. We were hanging out at the lanes and I noticed how many other guys had them on too. I was like... "NO WAY". I rarely wore them after that. My mom was PISSED.

Another coat that went through a trend was the classic Navy P-Coat. I was one of at least a HUNDRED kids in my school that had one. Difference there is... they've stood the test of time. I'd buy another one of them in a heartbeat. Matter of fact... i need a new coat now, so I think it's time to go to Keefer Army Navy. laugh.gif

I took my kids shopping just yesterday for jackets and "accessories". I can't STAND those trendy stores. One mannequin had THREE different color shirts on. I thought it was a joke, but then looked around and many guys in the place were sporting the three collared shirt look. What a gimmick. Make the young, brainless teens think they look cool by wearing THREE shirts. Brilliant strategy to make more money by these corporate svengali's. angry.gif

• Like 1

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 7 2010, 11:27 AM)

As far as priceyness is concerned, I buy all my clothes at Marshall's or TJ Maxx. I'm too old to care if it's last year's style, I care about saving money.

This got a good laugh out of me. "last years style"

laugh.gif

Considering I literally get at least 10 years out of any pants, shirts, or jackets I buy, last years style makes little difference to me.

I actually went to JC Penny's and got a bunch of clothes at 80% off. I got $50.00 shirts and sweaters for under 5 bucks !!! I got brands like St. Johns Bay and Izod for 5 under 5 bucks a piece.

I litterally got 8 quality sweaters and shirts for under $40.00 bucks !!! and really nice stuff 1022.gif

• Like 1

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Feb 7 2010, 01:45 PM)
About 1 1/2 years ago, my oldest son needed a new jacket, and when I asked him what he'd like, he asked very sweetly if we could "afford" to get him a North Face jacket.

Yes, they're trendy. Yes, he wanted one because some of his friends had them and he liked the way they looked.

I went to an outlet, found him a nice one for what any good jacket or coat would cost, and he was very grateful.

I remember being a kid (esp. at this age) and wanting to be like everyone else, in some ways. I think within reason, it's okay to let kids have something like this if you can manage it. He knows that clothes don't make him who he is, but he felt good about his coat, and to me that's okay.

The jacket's washable and very sturdy. He still wears it every day.

(This written by a mom who used to be a teenaged girl who wanted one pair of Guess jeans SO badly....)

goodpost.gif

In the late 90's (my high school era), I'd want Abercrombie stuff more than anything. There was an outlet in one of my malls so I would cheat the system and buy the clothes there. This is the years just before they became truly hideous, when the company used to have quality clothing, not ripped shirts and stuff. Anyways, yeah, it made me feel "in" a little more than if I didn't have some of their stuff, but I still wore what styles I wanted. Once I got to college, I was over that whole phase smile.gif

QUOTE (nettiesaur @ Feb 7 2010, 04:39 PM)
Around here, it's Columbia coats, and yes, I have one. It's the warmest jacket I've ever had! Considering that it has gotten to -26 here during some winters, I'll take the warmest jacket I can find!

If something "trendy" is also a good product and efficient, i have no problem with it. I have an Ipod because they kick ass, not because people everywhere have them. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Feb 7 2010, 02:10 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 7 2010, 11:27 AM)

As far as priceyness is concerned, I buy all my clothes at Marshall's or TJ Maxx. I'm too old to care if it's last year's style, I care about saving money.

This got a good laugh out of me. "last years style"

laugh.gif

Considering I literally get at least 10 years out of any pants, shirts, or jackets I buy, last years style makes little difference to me.

I actually went to JC Penny's and got a bunch of clothes at 80% off. I got $50.00 shirts and sweaters for under 5 bucks !!! I got brands like St. Johns Bay and Izod for 5 under 5 bucks a piece.

I litterally got 8 quality sweaters and shirts for under $40.00 bucks !!! and really nice stuff 1022.gif

I've got an Izod coat that I bought at Marshall's for $15 and I love it. It's the type of coat that's basically an insulated shirt, except made out of heavier gauge material. If you ever see one, snag it!

Edit:

Regarding the whole "last year's style" thing, it's simply the reason those stores I mentioned can sell that stuff so cheaply, the buy the overstock from other stores that didn't sell the year before. Believe me, I am no slave to fashion, I gave that up back in the Nineties.

Edited by Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (tick @ Feb 7 2010, 08:56 AM)

http://i771.photobucket.com/albums/xx359/MrRek09/CampbellGlen.jpg

Damn kids and your fashion statements!

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Feb 7 2010, 06:42 PM)
Believe me, I am no slave to fashion, I gave that up back in the Nineties.

I have NEVER been a slave to fashion. Jeans or khakis and a polo /fitted tee in summer, jeans or khakis and a sweater in the winter. I have stuff still that I had in college, and it's still in good shape.

And I am pissed that the fashion slaves have made it next-to-impossible for me to get my good duck shoes this year.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 7 2010, 11:25 PM)
If you like the North Face, you'll love...

The South Butt.

Yes.

Its for real.

http://www.thesouthbutt.com/

rofl3.gif So very cool! I hope he wins the court case.

I had no idea the same company who owns The North Face also owns Victoria's Secret.