The North Face

Tick

QUOTE (troutman @ Feb 8 2010, 08:28 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 8 2010, 12:33 PM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Feb 8 2010, 11:55 AM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 8 2010, 11:21 AM)
I have a black army jacket that i paid $60 for 10 years ago
I buy my pants at Wal-Mart for $20
I buy my socks 5 pairs for $10
Why? Because i have two kids and the stores rape me when i check out

I've noticed that me and other people from my generation - the one which graduated high school in the mid-late 80s - still buy "faded" jeans. The current generation also buys "faded jeans," yet they look differently. Ours look faded from repeated washings; theirs look faded as if from repeated wears without washing, if you follow my meaning. Their jeans look like they were worn on a seven-month trail ride and couldn't be washed the whole time, and only NOW have been washed. It's a different kind of "faded" look than ours.

laugh.gif I hear ya. It also makes me laugh out loud when i see Kids buy jeans that have holes already in them for like $50 . I got them from climbing fences

laugh.gif Yeah, and when you did rip them. You better have a really good excuse or else. unsure.gif tongue.gif

laugh.gif No shit

QUOTE (Slacker @ Feb 8 2010, 09:33 PM)
tick , you never wore a parker or a leather bomber jacket
back in the 70's? They were all the rage!

I still wear my bomber I bought 13 years ago, thankyouverymuch. Frequently.

QUOTE (Mara @ Feb 8 2010, 09:52 PM)

I still wear my bomber I bought 13 years ago, thankyouverymuch. Frequently.

I wonder what ever happen to mine? It's been so long i don't remember what i did with it.. unsure.gif

QUOTE (metaldad @ Feb 9 2010, 11:35 AM)

I've noticed that me and other people from my generation - the one which graduated high school in the mid-late 80s - still buy "faded" jeans. The current generation also buys "faded jeans," yet they look differently. Ours look faded from repeated washings; theirs look faded as if from repeated wears without washing, if you follow my meaning. Their jeans look like they were worn on a seven-month trail ride and couldn't be washed the whole time, and only NOW have been washed. It's a different kind of "faded" look than ours.

laugh.gif I hear ya. It also makes me laugh out loud when i see Kids buy jeans that have holes already in them for like $50 . I got them from climbing fences

laugh.gif Yeah, and when you did rip them. You better have a really good excuse or else. unsure.gif tongue.gif

laugh.gif No shit

Man, how old are you bastards?! laugh.gif The manufactured or cut-your-own-holes jean look has been around at least since when I was in hs 20 years back. This isn't some kind of new stupidity. This is old school stupidity!

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Feb 8 2010, 11:08 PM)

laugh.gif No shit

Man, how old are you bastards?! laugh.gif The manufactured or cut-your-own-holes jean look has been around at least since when I was in hs 20 years back. This isn't some kind of new stupidity. This is old school stupidity!

What was it, about 15 years ago that the jeans that had been SHOT AT were selling for a high price?

No shit. They threw the jeans in the air, or suspended them somehow, shooting-range style, and put a few rounds in them. I bet OSHA had a field day at that factory.

I suppose it beat the alternative when it came to getting gunshot pants: walking through a gangster hood yelling racial slurs. Cheaper, but much more likely you would also get a matching gunshot shirt. Not sure if the bloodstains would be considered trendy, either.

Edited by Mara

I did, but it didn't say, "The Bomber" on the back right hand upper corner of the jacket ! laugh.gif

• Like 1

I was wearing the jeans with holes in the knees long before that trend started. Maybe it had something to do with the fact I installed carpet for 18 years. atickhum.gif

I admit it, back in the day. My mom wanted nothing to do with me on any type of motor bike what so ever. But, I would sneak around and go for it. If I had ripped my jeans or shirt I would just tell her... we were playing football/baseball in the street! Never failed laugh.gif 653.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Feb 8 2010, 11:02 PM)
I was wearing the jeans with holes in the knees long before that trend started. Maybe it had something to do with the fact I installed carpet for 18 years. atickhum.gif

Or maybe you were a Ramones fan?

QUOTE (Slacker @ Feb 8 2010, 07:11 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Feb 8 2010, 11:02 PM)

Or maybe you were a Ramones fan?

rofl3.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Feb 8 2010, 10:38 PM)
QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Feb 8 2010, 11:08 PM)

laugh.gif No shit

What was it, about 15 years ago that the jeans that had been SHOT AT were selling for a high price?

No shit. They threw the jeans in the air, or suspended them somehow, shooting-range style, and put a few rounds in them. I bet OSHA had a field day at that factory.

I suppose it beat the alternative when it came to getting gunshot pants: walking through a gangster hood yelling racial slurs. Cheaper, but much more likely you would also get a matching gunshot shirt. Not sure if the bloodstains would be considered trendy, either.

Yeah, I remember reading about those a few years back. Even a gun crank like me thought they were the dumbest things I'd ever seen.

QUOTE (tangy @ Feb 7 2010, 02:57 PM)
the north face used to make pretty hardcore outdoor gear. now they are more of a trendy brand.

i would guess most people that wear NF gear don't know the difference between the north face and the other faces...........

Agree totally,

but then for whatever reason NF became a fashion designer statement (at least here in the UK). And all the pretty young things driving flashy sports cars & 4s wouldn't be seen dead without one.

Regrettably, some 6 or 7 years on only Chavs seem to wear them these days, such is the decline of this once great name sad.gif

I feel like I see less North Face stuff now than, say, 5-8 years ago.

A lot of the people I run with regularly are obsessed with Under Armour. I think it's because the brand makes great athletic stuff, but it's pricey. I own nothing UA since I'm a cheapskate.

Nike's better than UA.

Let me just add that since this thread was started TICK has become the scourge now of The North Face hipster throngs who are very very angry at him.

:atickhum: :atickhum: :atickhum: :atickhum: :atickhum: :atickhum: :atickhum: :atickhum: :atickhum: :atickhum: :atickhum: :atickhum: :atickhum: :atickhum: :atickhum: :atickhum: :atickhum:

They're trying to say you're hipster Ticky, you need a silly beard and dumb haircut now to complete the look.

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Feb 7 2010, 11:25 PM) If you like the North Face, you'll love...

The South Butt.

Yes.

Its for real.

http://www.thesouthbutt.com/

I need one of those jackets !!!! laugh.gif 1022.gif

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_South_Butt

The South Butt, LLC was a clothing and accessories company. The South Butt was founded in May 2007 by Jimmy Winkelmann Sr. and Jr., the latter being a 16-year-old student at Chaminade College Preparatory School. The South Butt dissolved in June 2011.

Winkelmann Jr. claimed the company was a parody of the The North Face, an American outdoor product company. In August 2008, The North Face sent a cease and desist letter to Winkelmann threatening to sue him if he did not "cease all promotion and sales of South Butt products and abandon his trademark registration application." According to The North Face, his "use of the South Butt & design mark and the Never Stop Relaxing tagline [was] not defensible as a parody[.]" The North Face sought an amicable resolution of the matter, his voluntary abandonment of the pending trademark application, and his immediate discontinuance of his company's name, mark, and tagline. In response, Winkelmann offered to sell his company to The North Face for $1 million, an offer that was later rescinded by Winkelmann as The South Butt grew.

In December 2008, The North Face filed a lawsuit in the United States District Court for the Eastern District of Missouri against Winkelmann, The South Butt, and Williams Pharmacy, a company which handled the products' marketing and manufacturing details. The court ordered mediation in the case, and on April 1, 2010, the parties reached a closed settlement agreement. Two days later, Winkelmann Sr. formed a company called "Why Climb Mountains" which sold "The Butt Face" products. In October 2012, the Winkelmanns admitted in court that they violated the settlement agreement with The North Face. In addition, the court ordered them to abandon a trademark registration application for The Butt Face, shut down their web store and Facebook page, surrender all merchandise, and pay $65,000, an amount that will be reduced by $1,000 for every month of compliance.

I feel like I see less North Face stuff now than, say, 5-8 years ago.

A lot of the people I run with regularly are obsessed with Under Armour. I think it's because the brand makes great athletic stuff, but it's pricey. I own nothing UA since I'm a cheapskate.

I like the fact that you're a cheapskate! :16ton:

I have a North Face jacket, but not a fleece like you mentioned. More like a ski jacket.

I daughter has 2 of the fleece ones. 100 bucks a piece and they shed like mad. Cheap made in China jacket. She loves them but to me they are complete garbage.

I had a Member's Only jacket. Actually TWO of them. A lightweight one and a heavier version. It was DURING the phase even. Something I usually never do, but i thought they were very sweet looking coats back then. I remember getting the rude awakening though. We were hanging out at the lanes and I noticed how many other guys had them on too. I was like... "NO WAY". I rarely wore them after that. My mom was PISSED.

Another coat that went through a trend was the classic Navy P-Coat. I was one of at least a HUNDRED kids in my school that had one. Difference there is... they've stood the test of time. I'd buy another one of them in a heartbeat. Matter of fact... i need a new coat now, so I think it's time to go to Keefer Army Navy. laugh.gif

I took my kids shopping just yesterday for jackets and "accessories". I can't STAND those trendy stores. One mannequin had THREE different color shirts on. I thought it was a joke, but then looked around and many guys in the place were sporting the three collared shirt look. What a gimmick. Make the young, brainless teens think they look cool by wearing THREE shirts. Brilliant strategy to make more money by these corporate svengali's. angry.gif

This started in my neighborhood with my friends in '75-'76. I had a friend who went into the army and I bought an Army Jacket and liner through him, but all of my friends got into this at this time. Eisenhower jackets, Navy P coats and the long version of both styles of jackets were in hot demand...

:banana: