The strong possibility of no new album

rushgoober

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 2 2010, 07:57 PM)
QUOTE (GeminiRising79 @ Feb 2 2010, 07:54 PM)
How the Rush guys envision us

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v661/spacegoon/FatNerd.jpg

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee138/ReRushed/nerd-1.jpg

z7shysterical.gif

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Feb 2 2010, 04:45 PM)
There are other ways to release music besides on an album.

I download all my music at this point, so I'm completely okay with what it sounds like they're doing.

If they release an album online with a wav file option, that'd be fine - that way I can download it and burn it and it will be the same as a cd, just without the artwork. If it's only released as a compressed file, then I'm really not interested.

rofl3.gif

Thats awesome. So perfect.

QUOTE (thesweetscience @ Feb 2 2010, 09:10 PM)
I find it hard to care anymore. I would gladly just take a new tour with a very revamped set list. If they don't record and keep sending out the same 27 song combo then they should just retire before they become an embarrassment in the vein of Def Leppard, Foreigner, Styx, etc etc.....

i totally agree, but would also like to hear a few new tunes released.

if i don't see a major overhaul in the setlist this time around, and only see 3-4 changes, than there's nothing to look forward to.

Look,,,the last tours were carbon copies of each other. Same stuff over and over and over and over and over.

Let's face it. This is probably a means to the end. This will be the last tour and a b-side tour to boot. So, enjoy the time we have cause ITS GONNA BE OVER!!!!!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 2 2010, 08:44 PM)
QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Feb 2 2010, 04:45 PM)
There are other ways to release music besides on an album.

I download all my music at this point, so I'm completely okay with what it sounds like they're doing.

If they release an album online with a wav file option, that'd be fine - that way I can download it and burn it and it will be the same as a cd, just without the artwork. If it's only released as a compressed file, then I'm really not interested.

Some bands have released new albums in both lossless and MP3 file formats. I'm sure Rush will do the same.

I think there's a ton to criticize about Rush's setlists (particularly the lack of ANY rotation over the course of a tour) but I'm not sure how you can criticize them for "playing the same stuff over and over again" based on last tour. I think 9 songs from Snakes & Arrows was a joke, but between those and Digital Man, Entre Nous, Mission, Circumstances, Witch Hunt & A Passage to Bangkok (along w/ much-loved Between The Wheels and Natural Science) that was about as many rarities as they've ever pulled out on one tour. Of the 27 songs played on the first half of the Snakes tour, only Limelight, Secret Touch, Between The Wheels, Dreamline, Subdivisions, Spirit of Radio, Tom Sawyer, One Little Victory, YYZ, & obviously the Drum Solo were played in 2004 - and the 6 rarities mentioned above hadn't been played since the Presto tour or earlier.

QUOTE (Necromancer @ Feb 2 2010, 07:01 PM)
At least they want to adapt to the times, which they've kinda always been about. They've embraced new technology from the beginning. I admire that.

I remember my mom just couldn't stop using her rotary phone. She hated the idea of getting a push-button. I understood her craziness about it because she was old. Rush doesn't seem to want to get OLD, like some of their fans that just can't let the old ways die.

Another thing, maybe they realize how much they kinda ripped us off with Snakes. It had two, MAYBE three halfway decent songs. Maybe they don't feel like ripping us off again, so doing songs as they are complete, and songs they LOVE, being released on the internet is the way to go. I'd be quite apolgetic to the fan base, and looking for an alternative to repeating that too. yes.gif

Bring on the downloads and tour your asses off guys. I'm right there with ya's. I gave up vinyl and 8tracks and reel to reel and cassettes ages ago. I'll have no problem with cd's either. Technology is great. new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Other than the snakes ripoff i agree 100 % new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Feb 2 2010, 09:39 PM)
QUOTE (Lady April @ Feb 2 2010, 05:49 PM)
My whole perception of Rush has been crushed...  unsure.gif

Mine too unsure.gif ....what will we do confused13.gif

Not listen to the critical losers on this board and just love Rush cause they are Rush tongue.gif

QUOTE (quantex @ Feb 2 2010, 09:37 PM)
Look,,,the last tours were carbon copies of each other. Same stuff over and over and over and over and over.

Let's face it. This is probably a means to the end. This will be the last tour and a b-side tour to boot. So, enjoy the time we have cause ITS GONNA BE OVER!!!!!

buzzkill angry.gif

QUOTE (Lady April @ Feb 2 2010, 08:15 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Feb 2 2010, 07:57 PM)

http://i229.photobucket.com/albums/ee138/ReRushed/nerd-1.jpg

z7shysterical.gif

rofl3.gif indeed!

QUOTE (quantex @ Feb 2 2010, 09:37 PM)
Look,,,the last tours were carbon copies of each other.    Same stuff over and over and over and over and over.

Let's face it.  This is probably a means to the end.  This will be the last tour and a b-side tour to boot.  So, enjoy the time we have cause ITS GONNA BE OVER!!!!!

Ladies and Gentlemen we have an insider yes.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 2 2010, 04:44 PM)
Ok, instead of me bringing this up in several threads, I thought I'd put it here.

This is from Neil's recent interview:

... "I know that the mechanism that brought us up doesn't exist anymore," he says. "For instance, a perfect example of how reversed it is, in those days we made no money touring for a long time, even into the successful years. You counted on record sales and songwriting to make your living. And touring was a way to publicize that. Suddenly, in the last 10, 15 years all that turned around and our income is entirely from touring, and recording is an indulgence. In a band like Rush, no one's going to pay us to make a record. It's going to be an indulgence. Even Snakes & Arrows basically paid for itself and that's it, and if we want to make a living beyond that we have to go on the road and tour."...

So now making an album is an indulgence? It ONLY pays for itself? Basically, he's outright saying that they're not doing it because it makes no money, and he'd rather do touring which does make money.

Whatever happened to making new music because you're passionate about music, about being creative, about making something new, trying out new things, stretching your boundaries, etc.?

It's not like they're losing money from a new album, and they still have the tour to add to their already great wealth.

Am I the only one who thinks there's something seriously wrong with this picture? confused13.gif

an exercise in self-indulgence?

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 2 2010, 10:16 PM)
i don't know what to expect this tour. i think it could go either way.
more of the same with a few b-sides thrown in or a complete overhaul.

I don't care what they play. I just want to see Rush. They can play whatever they want and whatever Ged feels he can still pull off vocally. They kick ass for touring as much as they have as it is. Who am I to bitch anyway? trink39.gif

QUOTE (Lady April @ Feb 2 2010, 10:18 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 2 2010, 10:16 PM)
i don't know what to expect this tour.  i think it could go either way. 
more of the same with a few b-sides thrown in or a complete overhaul.

I don't care what they play. I just want to see Rush. They can play whatever they want and whatever Ged feels he can still pull off vocally. They kick ass for touring as much as they have as it is. Who am I to bitch anyway? trink39.gif

i hear ya but when you've seen them a ton of times, it would be nice to see a refreshing overhaul.

QUOTE (Lady April @ Feb 2 2010, 10:11 PM)

Not listen to the critical losers on this board and just love Rush cause they are Rush tongue.gif

That would be too easy....besides every good forum needs pessimists, fretters and buzzkillers to offset the thruths trink39.gif

QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Feb 2 2010, 10:24 PM)

That would be too easy....besides every good forum needs pessimists, fretters and buzzkillers to offset the thruths trink39.gif

the truth is, if there isn't a major shakeup, i will be taking many pee breaks.

yours truly, the pessimist tongue.gif

QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 2 2010, 10:32 PM)

I'll save your seat trink39.gif

I honestly haven't been thrilled with a Rush album since Presto, but it would be disappointing to see them just tour without any new music. I think maybe a couple new songs would be good, release them in a cardboard slipcase or MP3 and just do that instead of a full-fledged album. I think for a band that's been making music for 40 years (and not much in the last 20), this might be a way to freshen up the process and come up with some real gems.

Would it really kill Rush to use a little money OUT OF THEIR OWN POCKET to put out a proper CD with artwork? They would easily make up that money on tour. And while were at it I think they should finance the Vapor Trails remaster out of their own pocket being that they are the ones that screwed it up. With all the cash grabs they have released lately the least they can do is fix VT?

QUOTE (spirit of radio @ Feb 2 2010, 10:41 PM)
QUOTE (ReflectedLight @ Feb 2 2010, 10:32 PM)

I'll save your seat trink39.gif

what about mine unsure.gif

QUOTE (tangy @ Feb 2 2010, 08:17 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 2 2010, 04:44 PM)
Ok, instead of me bringing this up in several threads, I thought I'd put it here.

This is from Neil's recent interview:

... "I know that the mechanism that brought us up doesn't exist anymore," he says. "For instance, a perfect example of how reversed it is, in those days we made no money touring for a long time, even into the successful years. You counted on record sales and songwriting to make your living. And touring was a way to publicize that. Suddenly, in the last 10, 15 years all that turned around and our income is entirely from touring, and recording is an indulgence. In a band like Rush, no one's going to pay us to make a record. It's going to be an indulgence. Even Snakes & Arrows basically paid for itself and that's it, and if we want to make a living beyond that we have to go on the road and tour."...

So now making an album is an indulgence? It ONLY pays for itself? Basically, he's outright saying that they're not doing it because it makes no money, and he'd rather do touring which does make money.

Whatever happened to making new music because you're passionate about music, about being creative, about making something new, trying out new things, stretching your boundaries, etc.?

It's not like they're losing money from a new album, and they still have the tour to add to their already great wealth.

Am I the only one who thinks there's something seriously wrong with this picture? confused13.gif

an exercise in self-indulgence?

laugh.gif

Archived