The strong possibility of no new album

rushgoober

QUOTE (High Water @ Feb 12 2010, 12:06 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 10 2010, 02:38 PM)
While it's true that there's no such thing as "objective" filler, it's interesting that you almost never hear people talking about tracks on Hemispheres, Moving Pictures, Permanent Waves, Signals etc. as being filler, but you sure hear it a lot about their more recent work.  Interesting, huh? wink.gif

Of course this is all IMHO, which is kinda the whole point.

Yes Goober,

You have it right exactly.

I've never heard Vital Signs was filler.......

HW

I'm assuming you're being sarcastic?

Vital Signs is a song of microscopically lower quality than say Red Barchetta, but still, most wouldn't consider it filler.

From rateyourmusic where each album has received several hundred ratings, if not thousands (out of 5):

2112 - 3.90

A Farewell to Kings - 3.96

Hemispheres - 4.00

Permanent Waves - 3.98

Moving Pictures - 4.06

Compare with:

Presto - 3.31

Roll the Bones - 3.28

Counterparts - 3.51

Test for Echo - 3.22

Vapor Trails - 3.25

Snakes & Arrows - 3.59

I hope you do see my point - there was a time that Rush were considered virtually flawless (especially among hardcore Rush fans), but not quite so in more recent years. Yes, there's no such thing as objective filler. One person's treasure is another person's filler, but the tide has definitely turned in general consensus opinion.

• Replies 303
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Feb 12 2010, 03:20 PM)
From rateyourmusic where each album has received several hundred ratings, if not thousands (out of 5):

2112 - 3.90
A Farewell to Kings - 3.96
Hemispheres - 4.00
Permanent Waves - 3.98
Moving Pictures - 4.06

Compare with:

Presto - 3.31
Roll the Bones - 3.28
Counterparts - 3.51
Test for Echo - 3.22
Vapor Trails - 3.25
Snakes & Arrows - 3.59

I hope you do see my point - there was a time that Rush were considered virtually flawless (especially among hardcore Rush fans), but not quite so in more recent years. Yes, there's no such thing as objective filler. One person's treasure is another person's filler, but the tide has definitely turned in general consensus opinion.

goodpost.gif

Outstanding info.

If you look at them as grade point averages, the 70s era essentially gets an A to A+, while the 1990s on is getting B's and B+'s.

I think we're splitting hairs here, despite the fact I do see your point. Rush is not just good, they are VERY good.

The thought of them not doing a full album would be pretty disappointing to this fan. However, if they do an EP-type deal with some longer progressive stuff (Neil alluded to this being a possibility, citing PT), that can be satisfying for the die-hards like us.

Archived