Neil gives us a little info on upcoming Rush CD

Camera Eye82

Thanks to Rushisaband for this update:

Rush drummer Neil Peart says the legendary Toronto band is in the early stages of planning a new project but the new music may not be released in traditional album format.

"We feel very much liberated from the album format in a way right now, because in the three years since our last album (2007's 'Snakes & Arrows'), suddenly albums don't mean anything," Peart told The Canadian Press in a telephone interview from his home in California.

"We're thinking of writing and recording a few songs and maybe releasing them, and playing them live, and then going back and doing some more later. We just feel really free (in terms) of what we might do right now.

"Anything is possible in the nicest way and we like the fact of shaking it all up."

Peart says he's started writing new lyrics while bandmates Geddy Lee and Alex Lifeson are preparing at their Toronto studio ("every time we start a new record, the technology is all different, and we've gotta learn it . . . again," he explains).

Asked if he would be willing to reveal details of any of the new songs, the personable Peart replied: "No, sir. (But) I like them."

But the 57-year-old says the band is aware that the record industry is in flux, and would rather adapt with the times than worry about the past.

"We're kind of taking this as a challenge to do something with, rather than to moan about," he explained.

"(It's) a healthier reaction than getting mad: 'Aww, things aren't how they used to be -- we wanted to make a 12-inch album with two sides!' Those things ARE hard to give up, and every time now we make a side one and side two mentally and build the dynamics ... so there is something lost.

"But, on the other hand, it's pointless to lament about it, and now we have the opportunity to take advantage of this amorphous situation going on in the music business right now." ...

So it sounds like releasing an LP is still possible though unlikely, and they will instead just release a few songs digitally or as an EP (or both), and play the songs on tour this Summer. This makes sense in light of the fact that producer Nick Raskulinecz will be busy working on the next Stone Sour album in the coming weeks. That would make it tough for him to also produce a full-length Rush album before a Summer tour. But it's certainly possible for him to produce a few songs for digital release in that timeframe. Hopefully more details regarding the project will be revealed in the coming weeks, and we should be getting an official announcement regarding the tour sometime next month. Thanks to Here and now for the heads up.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Personally this shit kills me being a cd addict.

No more Rush records? Just record a few songs for download only?

Guess Hugh Syme is out of a job.

This blows. dazed025.gif

So they are going to launch a new tour with only a few new tracks?

The only good news out of this is that maybe they will play songs that they haven't played in decades.

Signed,

"Caress Of Steel"

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Jan 13 2010, 07:28 PM)
Personally this shit kills me being a cd addict.
No more Rush records? Just record a few songs for download only?
Guess Hugh Syme is out of a job.
This blows. dazed025.gif

So they are going to launch a new tour with only a few new tracks?
The only good news out of this is that maybe they will play songs that they haven't played in decades.

Signed,

"Caress Of Steel"

Or just all of S&A again. eh.gif

I really like this idea for a band like Rush, who's been around for 40 years now. I'm sure I am in the majority when I say that their last few albums have been sub-par, mainly because there's too little variation in 13 tracks and they get tiresome. Imagine if Rush makes a 6 song EP in the 35 minute range - Voila! We have essentially what Permanent Waves was. 6 very strong songs with little extraneous padding. This will (hopefully) make the guys VERY selective about which songs will be released and potentially give them greater desire to make them as strong as possible since there's basically nowhere for them to hide on a short EP.

I think this will be a good way for them to write and still stay relevant

I agree GrandDesigner. I really look at it as if they have to anwser to no one. Does this mean that they can do anything that they want or feel. This is a refreshing sign and one I think that will bold well for the band. It may very well open the idea for them to maybe try a 10 or 12 minute song again. I know that I may be dreaming but this could be really a good thing. Freedom to write what ever they want. Some will say that they have always had freedom to write what they wanted but they also had to release a cd under a record company and may have tried to keep them happy as well. Who knows. I am getting pumped up for this new music idea. But lets keep our fingers crossed. 2.gif trink39.gif

I don't know. Then again, technology is allowing artists to do full length albums and releasing them on their own websites. If you want to stay with the times, try this as an alternative.

QUOTE (circumstantial tree @ Jan 13 2010, 07:09 PM)
I don't know. Then again, technology is allowing artists to do full length albums and releasing them on their own websites. If you want to stay with the times, try this as an alternative.

yes.gif

Also, they don't have to write an hours' worth of material or anything to have an album. Many popular bands continue to put out albums in the 40-50 minute range; to me, it's perfect timewise.

Thats true. I know my band isnt a well known band and we have our entire cd on facebook and myspace that allows you to buy the entire cd or each song. So this maybe a test for them as well. Like you said, from their website you can purchase their music. Very intersting and a really good way to hold conversations about what they may do on this next record or digital cd. Stay tuned!

This isn't exactly new. Neil talked about this last fall and Alex talked about it earlier than with the idea of experimenting with downloadable singles online. Either way, they are getting older and the whole production process with writing/demo/recording an entire album takes them 1-2 years on average. So the idea of doing short EPs does seem more attractive. Plus they always seem to leave out a percentage of the songs on the new album unplayed from the setlist during the regular tours anyway.

With an EP of 5 songs, I suppose they'll do the majority of them live and skip a track or two. The fewer new songs in the setlist, more chances there are for other live tracks to be played. And people have been clamoring to hear deep cuts for years. So far they've only paraded out "Entre Nous" and "Between Sun & Moon" from the unplayed songs pile. I'm hoping they can do something special for PeWaves 30th Anniversary (Different Strings?) or Emotion Detector for the Power Windows 25th anniversary this year.

Feedback was done pretty fast but it was a covers EP, so I'm wondering if they can get this one recorded. Nick R., they guy that recorded Snakes & Arrows, is also scheduled to work with Stone Sour this year on a new album. If Rush do an EP, I think they can fit into his schedule easily.

2.gif has always made a point of changing with the times. In the '70's they made 40 minute recordings to fit on 12" vinyl LP's. In the 80's (and to the present) they have made 70 minute records to fill up cd's, which given their greater capacity, is understandable. But now times have changed again, so maybe it's time to try something new...What ever direction our boys decide to go, I am totally there... 1022.gif trink39.gif

I think this is fantastic!

They have the freedom and seem to have the will to record "what they want" "when they want to" and release it immediately.

Can you imagine Rush releasing songs every couple of weeks or months for the next few years?

Every song, a different flavor that doesn't need to be "blending with 13 other songs" on an album?

This in my opinion is terrific.

It gives them the freedom to release a 20 minute epic one week and a Pop song the next if they so choose.

It may also eliminate some of the god awful production practices we've seen over the years.

Sweet and simple.

A few Mikes, record, upload, voila, new Rush.......awesome.

QUOTE (High Water @ Jan 13 2010, 07:38 PM)
I think this is fantastic!

They have the freedom and seem to have the will to record "what they want" "when they want to" and release it immediately.

Can you imagine Rush releasing songs every couple of weeks or months for the next few years?

Every song, a different flavor that doesn't need to be "blending with 13 other songs" on an album?

This in my opinion is terrific.

It gives them the freedom to release a 20 minute epic one week and a Pop song the next if they so choose.

It may also eliminate some of the god awful production practices we've seen over the years.

Sweet and simple.

A few Mikes, record, upload, voila, new Rush.......awesome.

goodpost.gif Exactly! All this "new" technology gives our boys freedom on a level never before imagined. 1022.gif

As long as there is a physical release somewhere down the line with artwork and liners, I'm really stoked.

I didn't get the impression from any of it that there won't be.

Can't wait till Thursday night when someone puts up the Hockey Night In Canada theme on You Tube either!

I too think this is sensational news.

As others have said/alluded, this gives them the ability to produce a modest selection of really cracking songs, and then tour those (relatively soon) along with plenty of the vintage stuff. It is a 'less is more' situation (apologies for the cliche).

To me, this is the critical path by which they will re-capture that wonderful, optimistic, innovative spirit of Permananent Waves (yes, I appreciate the reflexion there). For me, those principles are the very nature of Rush, and have been for almost 30 years.

I don't care how it sounds, just bring it on because it means no more fillers.

I'm ok with what Neil's saying about future releases. I just hope his lyrics are on the positive/optimistic side and that the music is fresh and emotionally charging much like PermWaves and MovingPics. Shouldn't be a difficult task considering all things are up for him now! Go for it, Neil!!

Everything about this sounds fantastic to me save for one. When it comes to my favorite bands, I like having the actual product. The artwork, the lyric book, ect....it's a whole experience for me. But...Rush is Rush. I'll take it. 1022.gif

QUOTE (Echoes @ Jan 13 2010, 08:20 PM)
Everything about this sounds fantastic to me save for one. When it comes to my favorite bands, I like having the actual product. The artwork, the lyric book, ect....it's a whole experience for me. But...Rush is Rush. I'll take it. 1022.gif

True. I would prefer an actual physical release that I can pick up at Best-Buy (or where-ever), complete with cover art and liner notes and all. I hope that that's something that will never become out-dated.

To me it sounds like they want another cash grab(tour) but they have to record at least a few new songs to justify the cash grab. The whole Rush experience of waiting for a magical album and artwork together is history. I don't think these guys care about making another groundbreaking record at this point.

I think what it is, is they are going to make a few songs for the excuse of touring and then pull out old classics on the tour. Camera Eye anyone? common001.gif

QUOTE (Tarkus407 @ Jan 13 2010, 08:31 PM)
No. I want a CD or an LP. f**k digital shit.

Yeah, I am really not hot on the idea of digital download. I'd much rather have a physical thing -- a CD or LP with nice cover art, booklet, etc. and of course the disc! C'mon, boys! Remember what you said back in 1980 about compromises and integrity?

Mostly fine by me except I do not want to see it released in digital format only. I'm one of the 16 people left in the civilized world without an MP3 player, and it's not because I can't afford one. I can't get a decent hookup in the car - all that shit runs through the AM stations and in a city where most of the the frequencies are spoken for, you get a hell of a lot of static.

So I do still want to see it in CD format.

Archived