Neil gives us a little info on upcoming Rush CD

Camera Eye82

Filler is subjective. Roll The Bones is one of my favorite Rush songs (yes, really!), and Animate is one of my least favorite. It seems like most people prefer Animate over RTB, but that's okay, because music is really up to interpretation by the individual.

I personally love Genesis's "Calling All Stations," and dislike "Foxtrot", save for Supper's Ready. I know a lot of Genesis fans would jump on me for this, but I don't care, because it's MY MUSIC. I recently lent a friend of mine (who's into all sorts of 70's prog bands) a copy of a Gentle Giant cd, and he returned it, saying "They're not really that much, man. Didn't like it at all." Personally, I was a bit shocked, but not completely surprised, because not everyone enjoys the same things. It would be a boring world if we did.

• Replies 286
  • Created
  • Last Reply

QUOTE (Spindrift82 @ Jan 19 2010, 09:45 AM)
Filler is subjective. Roll The Bones is one of my favorite Rush songs (yes, really!), and Animate is one of my least favorite. It seems like most people prefer Animate over RTB, but that's okay, because music is really up to interpretation by the individual.

goodpost.gif

When it comes to the album Power Windows, "Big Money" is actually my least favorite song on the album. Likewise, on Hold Your Fire, I think "Time Stand Still" is a real stinker on that album. When it comes to Roll The Bones, the title track is awful to me, because of the rap, and because it's so overplayed. "Bravado" is ten times the song it is, but that's not saying a tremendous amount. Yet we just had 2 concurrent threads on Bravado not too long ago.

Completely subjective, and if it wasn't.....WHY ON EARTH would we have a message board?

QUOTE (EmotionDetector @ Jan 19 2010, 08:59 AM)
QUOTE (Zanadoo @ Jan 14 2010, 09:16 PM)
I'm loving this. First of all, I'm most pumped that the boys have just about confirmed new material. bncegrn.gif

I know it's been said over and over on this thread but in the recent years, it's been about 5 really good songs with a lot of filler. This'll give them the chance to really work hard on a lesser amount of songs. (only six songs on PeW...but that album sucked right?.....) Plus the downloaded type of music almost always has artwork to go with it. That's pretty important for me. Good luck boys!

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

See...this is one thing that I think a few of you touched on in this thread that I just don't believe in.

You are assuming that "filler" material comes from album releases. You are assuming that less songs is equivalent of "classic" material.

The fact is, all of these "filler" songs that everyone seems to accuse Rush of producing (mainly on the last 5-6 albums), is really only considered "filler" to the person you're asking. There are Rush songs that I absolutely love...that the majority on here dislike, and that's okay. It's all about individual taste!

But above all else, you are forgetting one big factor here...some songs that certain fans accuse of being "boring" and "filler" could be some of the songs that THE BOYS consider to be top-notch, and some of their best material. I constantly see alot of people bashing Roll The Bones, but the fact is, the guys seem to like it enough to continue playing it on every tour. See what I'm saying? Just like yours and my tastes differ, so do our tastes compared to those of Alex, Neil, and Geddy.

The fact I'm trying to get across is, you cannot assume that just because less songs will be released at a time (and separately), that those will all of a sudden be "classics" rather than "filler". If you just think that way, you may be setting yourself up for dissappointment.

goodpost.gif

You're right. The more I think about it, the more I agree.

Maybe the smaller track list will translate into more time and effort put into each song with is never a bad thing.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jan 19 2010, 07:04 AM)
Since there is not a consensus on what is "filler" on a particular album, then it must not be "filler" at all! Because obviously the song in question touched somebody in some way that they see a value to Rush having put it out in the first place.

There may be songs that I don't like (there certainly are) but I would never accuse Rush of putting out "filler" songs.

Rush intentionally doing filler songs? It's debatable.

I would like to think they always gave everything their 100% best every single time, but even Alex admitted with Vapor Trails that "A lot of that stuff on there is first takes and demos." Man, does it show! That's hardly a circumstance where it sounds like they were giving it their all. And for other albums they "might" have been giving it their all, but it sure doesn't sound as good as when they gave it their all say in 1981. Either they weren't trying hard enough or they were at a real creative lull at some periods compared to others.

If Rush made a really horrible album that almost everyone agreed was WAY below their standards, SOMEONE would still love it and think it was the best thing they ever did. Does that mean it's not filler because one person loved it? What about majority consensus opinion? I doubt anyone out there would call Tom Sawyer or Xanadu or La Villa Strangiato filler, but you'd find a LOT of people who would call Face Up or Freeze or Good News First filler.

Saying that it's not filler is true in the grand scheme of things if you consider that if even one person loves a song, it's not filler to them, but it doesn't mean the rest of us don't think it's crap or that it has value. At what point do you draw the line?

Isn't it funny that the last several albums have a LOT more people considering songs to be filler than during their 70's and 80's material? That should count for something.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 24 2010, 09:19 AM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jan 19 2010, 07:04 AM)
Since there is not a consensus on what is "filler" on a particular album, then it must not be "filler" at all!  Because obviously the song in question touched somebody in some way that they see a value to Rush having put it out in the first place.

There may be songs that I don't like (there certainly are) but I would never accuse Rush of putting out "filler" songs.

Rush intentionally doing filler songs? It's debatable.

I would like to think they always gave everything their 100% best every single time, but even Alex admitted with Vapor Trails that "A lot of that stuff on there is first takes and demos." Man, does it show! That's hardly a circumstance where it sounds like they were giving it their all. And for other albums they "might" have been giving it their all, but it sure doesn't sound as good as when they gave it their all say in 1981. Either they weren't trying hard enough or they were at a real creative lull at some periods compared to others.

If Rush made a really horrible album that almost everyone agreed was WAY below their standards, SOMEONE would still love it and think it was the best thing they ever did. Does that mean it's not filler because one person loved it? What about majority consensus opinion? I doubt anyone out there would call Tom Sawyer or Xanadu or La Villa Strangiato filler, but you'd find a LOT of people who would call Face Up or Freeze or Good News First filler.

Saying that it's not filler is true in the grand scheme of things if you consider that if even one person loves a song, it's not filler to them, but it doesn't mean the rest of us don't think it's crap or that it has value. At what point do you draw the line?

Isn't it funny that the last several albums have a LOT more people considering songs to be filler than during their 70's and 80's material? That should count for something.

I blame the advent of the cd.

Gimme a 38 minute album anyday.

Quality not quantity.

I used to think maybe Rush did some filler songs, but after watching the "making of" S&A video, I now think that maybe they don't see it that way at all. When I heard Good News First, it felt like filler all the way. Then I saw the "making of" video in which they go on and on about how hard they worked on that one. Why work so hard on filler?

Still, I think Good News First is far and away the weakest song on the album, despite all their hard work.

I love Freeze -- no filler there. And Nocturne. They're two of my favorite "deep cuts" from VT.

QUOTE (Hatchetaxe&saw @ Jan 24 2010, 05:45 AM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 24 2010, 09:19 AM)

I blame the advent of the cd.

Gimme a 38 minute album anyday.

Quality not quantity.

goodpost.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 24 2010, 04:19 AM)

Au contraire....I love Freeze and Good News First. And I know I'm not alone. And that's exactly the kind of diversity I'm talking about.

You have a point with the "first take" argument, but couldn't THAT just be the fact that Rush said, it sounds great as it is, it's not going to get a whole lot better than that? I would think after 30 years of recording they would have the wisdom to know the difference in that area, and move on.

At what point do I draw the line? I don't. The number of Rush songs that I will just not listen to PERIOD I could count on one hand. And that's out of a WHOLE LOT OF SONGS, we're talking less than 5% that I just don't like. I can't say that about ANY other band. None.

And finally, to address the recent albums being considered filler point:

1) Rush was defining themselves in those days, the 70s of which you speak. THAT WAS the standard. Anything else that deviates from the standard is going to be criticized. That's true of every band. If you want a Moving Pictures or Permanent Waves every time out, you're simply going to be disappointed, because they've moved on from that.

2) I don't know if you thought about this, but it should encourage you that Rush is returning to the METHOD of writing that made them a success in the 70s: record 6-8 songs every couple of years and tour. Time will tell if the songs are quality or "filler" and I'm sure it will be debated here ad infinitum as to what is what.

3) But Rush has said in previous interviews that they don't save songs for compliations and they don't release a song onto an album unless they have 100% confidence in it. If you believe them to be honest, that ought to dismiss the filler argument altogether.

QUOTE (Sign Of Eth @ Jan 24 2010, 12:09 PM)
I used to think maybe Rush did some filler songs, but after watching the "making of" S&A video, I now think that maybe they don't see it that way at all. When I heard Good News First, it felt like filler all the way. Then I saw the "making of" video in which they go on and on about how hard they worked on that one. Why work so hard on filler?

Still, I think Good News First is far and away the weakest song on the album, despite all their hard work.

I love Freeze -- no filler there. And Nocturne. They're two of my favorite "deep cuts" from VT.

trink39.gif

Couldn't agree more with this post.

QUOTE (Sign Of Eth @ Jan 24 2010, 12:09 PM)

it's amazing how everyone listens and interprets music differently. that's what makes music great. when i first heard snakes, good news first was my favorite. geddy's vocals are great imo. i still like it but it's somewhere in the middle.

Archived