Neil is standoffish and rude.

My_Shrimp_Cot

I loved that conversation between them. Neil is just himself. He doesn't do things to please others. If people don't like him the way he is, he doesn't change to make them happy. I see nothing wrong with this behavior. I am the same way in my life. This is who I am. If you like me & want to hang out, great. If you don't that's fine too.

As a matter of fact a friend of 20 years gave me a t-shirt that reads:

If you don't like my attitude, then quit talking to me.

He saw it & said he had to buy it for me.

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Mar 24 2005, 12:58 PM)
I loved that conversation between them.  Neil is just himself.  He doesn't do things to please others.  If people don't like him the way he is, he doesn't change to make them happy.  I see nothing wrong with this behavior.  I am the same way in my life.  This is who I am.  If you like me & want to hang out, great.  If you don't that's fine too.

As a matter of fact a friend of 20 years gave me a t-shirt that reads:

If you don't like my attitude, then quit talking to me.

He saw it & said he had to buy it for me.

I couldn't have said it any better new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

troutman trink39.gif

It's silly for me to talk about this guy like I know him. But it SEEMS that in order to be around Neil, you have to be very secure and comfortable with who you are. He is not going to assume that responsibility for you. For some, that is perfect. For others, it's a nightmare.

It also SEEMS that he'll gravitate more toward someone who doesn't need to be reassured about these kinds of things. More important stuff to get on with - I think is Neil's view, and that can come across as VERY snide and uncaring to someone who needs that kind of constant reassurance.

Sheesh did this make any sense at all?? wacko.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Mar 24 2005, 10:21 AM)
It's silly for me to talk about this guy like I know him. But it SEEMS that in order to be around Neil, you have to be very secure and comfortable with who you are. He is not going to assume that responsibility for you. For some, that is perfect. For others, it's a nightmare.

It also SEEMS that he'll gravitate more toward someone who doesn't need to be reassured about these kinds of things. More important stuff to get on with - I think is Neil's view, and that can come across as VERY snide and uncaring to someone who needs that kind of constant reassurance.

Sheesh did this make any sense at all?? wacko.gif

You're right, thanks for the "SEEMS". That is really what I meant. I obviously don't actually know him, but those are impressions I get from him reading his books.

If I really did know him, I suppose I'd have GG harassing me constantly. cool.gif

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Mar 24 2005, 01:35 PM)
It's silly for me to talk about this guy like I know him.  But it SEEMS that in order to be around Neil, you have to be very secure and comfortable with who you are.  He is not going to assume that responsibility for you.  For some, that is perfect.  For others, it's a nightmare.

It also SEEMS that he'll gravitate more toward someone who doesn't need to be reassured about these kinds of things.  More important stuff to get on with - I think is Neil's view, and that can come across as VERY snide and uncaring to someone who needs that kind of constant reassurance.

Sheesh did this make any sense at all??  wacko.gif

You're right, thanks for the "SEEMS". That is really what I meant. I obviously don't actually know him, but those are impressions I get from him reading his books.

If I really did know him, I suppose I'd have GG harassing me constantly. cool.gif

Yeah.....please put "seems" in front of all my sentences. tongue.gif

It's silly for me to talk about this guy like I know him.  But it SEEMS that in order to be around Neil, you have to be very secure and comfortable with who you are.  He is not going to assume that responsibility for you.  For some, that is perfect.  For others, it's a nightmare.

It also SEEMS that he'll gravitate more toward someone who doesn't need to be reassured about these kinds of things.  More important stuff to get on with - I think is Neil's view, and that can come across as VERY snide and uncaring to someone who needs that kind of constant reassurance.

DM - my post was not directed at you, or anybody for that matter. I think what you guys have written is awesome. I just didn't want to come across like I had this guy all figured out. Didn't mean to imply anything on you in the process.

Or Shrimp Cot tongue.gif SEEMS like I ruffled him, too????

QUOTE (paganoman @ Mar 24 2005, 10:52 AM)

DM - my post was not directed at you, or anybody for that matter. I think what you guys have written is awesome. I just didn't want to come across like I had this guy all figured out. Didn't mean to imply anything on you in the process.

Or Shrimp Cot tongue.gif SEEMS like I ruffled him, too????

I wasn't ruffled at all. I just re-read what I wrote & it seemed like I knew the guy or something.

you may have ruffled shrimp_cot though. tongue.gif

Neil and I hang out all the time, he's great! He's a drummer don't ya know, yep, plays in some obscure Canadian band or something, doesn't like to talk about work that much though, likes anything with two wheels and a seat!

Yep me and Neil... wer're like this ....http://img226.exs.cx/img226/9650/fingerscrossed0ve.gif

cool.gif

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Mar 24 2005, 12:35 PM)

No, of course not! Hell, we'd even invite you over for dinner sometime.*

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

*GG realizes that she is in a dream world. The straightjacket should be delivered any day now.

cool.gif

Some people out there for some reason think they are entitled to Neil's attention (or any celebrity for that matter). I say he can be anyway he wants to be because some people out there can be plain ignorant and ridiculous. Read Travelling Music on page 114-115 about an unpleasant fan encounter Neil had. I don't blame Neil for being the way he is. I can relate to him though. I'm generally shy and quiet around people I don't know and have been referred to as "snobbish" and "unapprachable" when in fact if people got to know me I can be a friendly and pleasant person. My point is people may think he is "standoffish" or "rude" or whatever when in fact nobody can say this until they really know him personally. His dedication to making great music is good enuff for me.

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 24 2005, 11:51 AM)

*GG realizes that she is in a dream world.  The straightjacket should be delivered any day now.

cool.gif

Yeah, about your straight jacket....I'm still having trouble getting those custom bronze buckles tongue.gif

QUOTE (Digital Man @ Mar 24 2005, 02:10 PM)

*GG realizes that she is in a dream world.  The straightjacket should be delivered any day now.

cool.gif

Yeah, about your straight jacket....I'm still having trouble getting those custom bronze buckles tongue.gif

So THAT'S the holdup...well, the color is most important. So don't worry about the custom work.

It WILL have "Neil Peart's Personal Paramour" embroidered on the back, right?

tongue.gif

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 24 2005, 12:51 PM)
Some people out there for some reason think they are entitled to Neil's attention (or any celebrity for that matter). I say he can be anyway he wants to be because some people out there can be  plain ignorant and ridiculous.  Read Travelling Music on page 114-115 about an unpleasant fan encounter Neil had.  I don't blame Neil for being the way he is. I can relate to him though.  I'm generally shy and quiet around people I don't know and have been referred to as "snobbish" and "unapprachable" when in fact if people got to know me I can be a friendly and pleasant person.  My point is people may think he is "standoffish" or "rude" or whatever when in fact nobody can say this until they really know him personally.  His dedication to making great music is good enuff for me.

Same here Testy.

I'm uber shy and peeps assume I am stuck up.

If peeps from the forum met me, they'd think it was someone else posting under the dweezil name. I just don't talk all that much. Writing is different altogether? laugh.gif

Perhaps it is the same with Neil? He can write and create like mad, but when it comes to conversations with peeps he doesn't talk much? confused13.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 24 2005, 12:13 PM)
QUOTE (Digital Man @ Mar 24 2005, 02:10 PM)

cool.gif

So THAT'S the holdup...well, the color is most important. So don't worry about the custom work.

It WILL have "Neil Peart's Personal Paramour" embroidered on the back, right?

tongue.gif

Of course it will be embroidered.

Kelly green canvas, black leather straps, bronze buckles. The embroidery will be in script ala Hemishperes...

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Mar 24 2005, 02:42 PM)
What? The guy's getting ridiculed for being private? fing.gif Why is he "accused" of being private? Do they think Neil likes having his every move under public scrutiny? Sheesh, can't the guy have some privacy?

I'm quite sure no one HERE is ridiculing him. I understand his need for privacy, and his discomfort with the whole "hero worship" thing.

YES, I do understand! Stop looking at me like that.

I don't have a hero-worship thing going on here.

It's a "let me bear your love child" kinda thing. It's completely different.

wub.gif

laugh.gif

QUOTE (GhostGirl @ Mar 24 2005, 03:46 PM)
QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Mar 24 2005, 02:42 PM)
What? The guy's getting ridiculed for being private?  fing.gif Why is he "accused" of being private? Do they think Neil likes having his every move under public scrutiny? Sheesh, can't the guy have some privacy?

I'm quite sure no one HERE is ridiculing him. I understand his need for privacy, and his discomfort with the whole "hero worship" thing.

YES, I do understand! Stop looking at me like that.

I don't have a hero-worship thing going on here.

It's a "let me bear your love child" kinda thing. It's completely different.

wub.gif

laugh.gif

I'm not saying anyone here is ridiculing him. I was reffering to whoever said that Neil is standoffish and rude.

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Mar 24 2005, 02:49 PM)

I'm not saying anyone here is ridiculing him. I was reffering to whoever said that Neil is standoffish and rude.

My mistake.

Sounds like Neil has a learning difficulty like Aspega's or something.

Would explain his intellect and his inability to connect with people until after a long time. It would also explain his extreme interest in certain things (maybe bordering on obsession.)

Even if he does he wouldn't be Neil Peart without it.

To echo previous sentiments (sorry if I've repeated any), it is my impression that there may be two things about Neil that some find rude, but others accept.

First, he doesn't go out of his way to please others. I think this is actually a good philosophy. Why should I change my face to please you? I'm me, if you don't like it, f*** you.

The other thing I've noted is that, sort of like myself, he's not a people person. This is kind of an unusual behavior for a musician, but I suppose not for a drummer. In my case, it comes from shyness and withdrawal. Initially, I think his standoffishness was from the previous mindset discussed. After his personal tragedies, I think it was withdrawal as well. There are many times in "Ghost Rider" where he sees others, including a lot of tweakers, and thinks "why are you alive? (when my family is dead)"

I haven't finished the book, but I would gather that, while he has healed significantly, he probably still stays in a shell sometimes.

I figure if you can accept him as he is and enjoy the mastery of his writing and lyrics, more power to you.

" I can`t pretend a stranger is a long awaited freind" Peart

I think that pretty much sums it up. Like Ged has said on numerous occassions Neil is a very quiet guy that prefers to live in anonimity. In any of his books on his many trails do you ever hear of him standing up in a bar where a band is playing and blurting out "i am Neil Peart the greatest drummer on planet Earth!"

Never..........Neils too cool for that. He`s not like alot of rock stars. I personally don`t blame him. I wouldn`t want people hounding me while i try to live my everyday life. Just my sentiments . Peace out 2.gif

Archived