I love coffee

Mara

I drink Wegman's (grocery store) brand Colombian. Well, last weekend I noticed it's about 1.50 more than the other blends, so I figured French Roast would be a decent substitute, right? BBLLEAHHH! I guess this isn't the place to pinch pennies. Well, I did notice I was more used to it today, so maybe there's hope...we'll see.

I'm usually a three or so cup a day person...down to two this week as I'm on vacation and (gasp) getting some real sleep.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've tried so many coffees in the US, but nothing will compare to...

http://www.lsudining.com/media/user/Image/CCH_3C_Primary%20reduced.jpg

wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif wub.gif

And when I visit New Orleans I go to Cafe du Monde for delicious coffee, beignets, and live music. I also love Highland Coffees and Coffee Call, all off-shoots of either Cafe du Monde or CC's.

I love coffee, but it hates me. I had to quit drinking coffee because it hurts my stomach. But I miss it, and I love the smell.

QUOTE (-Jane- @ Apr 12 2011, 10:14 AM)
I love coffee, but it hates me. I had to quit drinking coffee because it hurts my stomach. But I miss it, and I love the smell.

I know what you mean about the smell. For years I worked in cafes and I miss smelling like coffee grounds. It really is a nice smell.

I've found that espresso is easier on the stomach than drip coffee. Plus, if you add cream, that should ease tummy issues too.

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Apr 13 2011, 08:17 AM)
On my second cup right now... looks like this morning may be a 3-4 cupper...

In the process of brewing a pot of coffee right now. This morning is one of those mornings too. I'm thinking about adding sugar to my cup(s) of coffee as well for an extra jolt. Something I don't normally do.

QUOTE (Janie @ Apr 13 2011, 09:57 AM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Apr 13 2011, 08:17 AM)

In the process of brewing a pot of coffee right now. This morning is one of those mornings too. I'm thinking about adding sugar to my cup(s) of coffee as well for an extra jolt. Something I don't normally do.

I never have sugar in my coffee. Just some evapourated milk or cream. My boyfriend drinks it with 2 sometimes 3 packets of raw sugar. I'm like "Are you planning on manual flying today?" laugh.gif

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Apr 13 2011, 10:17 AM)

I'm on my third cup (my cup is the same size as a starbuck's grande) today. Overnight baby feedings during the week are wearing me out. schla03.gif

Good thing the boss pops for free coffee...and not cheap shit either. Our department has a Bunn coffee maker and our admin keeps us stocked with packets of Starbucks French Roast and Sumatra. 1022.gif

One thing I can say for those days when I have to go to the offices of Very Large Wireless Provider: they have excellent coffee, and it's all you can drink for free. (Same with sodas).

They've got one of those big coffee stations with a million different flavor choices. My only complaint is that it is beyond scalding hot. You have to give it a good 20 minutes or so before you can even think about taking a sip.

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 13 2011, 03:15 PM)
One thing I can say for those days when I have to go to the offices of Very Large Wireless Provider: they have excellent coffee, and it's all you can drink for free. (Same with sodas).

They've got one of those big coffee stations with a million different flavor choices. My only complaint is that it is beyond scalding hot. You have to give it a good 20 minutes or so before you can even think about taking a sip.

That's one thing I love about the press pot. During that five minutes it's sitting there brewing, the temp drops from boiling hot to drinkable hot.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Apr 13 2011, 12:16 PM)

I'm on my third cup (my cup is the same size as a starbuck's grande) today. Overnight baby feedings during the week are wearing me out. schla03.gif

Good thing the boss pops for free coffee...and not cheap shit either. Our department has a Bunn coffee maker and our admin keeps us stocked with packets of Starbucks French Roast and Sumatra. 1022.gif

Spending the day at home studying for exams... Im hitting the 3:30 wall... ugh I may have to make another pot... but then I may be up all night not good for an 8am exam tomorrow. doh.gif

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Apr 13 2011, 02:32 PM)

Spending the day at home studying for exams... Im hitting the 3:30 wall... ugh I may have to make another pot... but then I may be up all night not good for an 8am exam tomorrow. doh.gif

I rarely do coffee after 12:00.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Apr 13 2011, 01:33 PM)

I do if I have to work a closing shift, which I MAY have to do tonight... dunno yet.

QUOTE (ILSnwdog @ Apr 13 2011, 03:33 PM)

I have no reservations about slurping down a potful at 10:30 pm, and I do that very thing most nights.

Lately I am not sleeping well, but that's my stupid hip waking me up 20x/night, not the coffee.

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 13 2011, 02:51 PM)

I have no reservations about slurping down a potful at 10:30 pm, and I do that very thing most nights.

Lately I am not sleeping well, but that's my stupid hip waking me up 20x/night, not the coffee.

If I drank coffee that late I'd have two things working against me. One, I'd be wired from the caffeine, and two, I'd probably have to wake up an pee every two hours. laugh.gif

QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 13 2011, 01:51 PM)

I had a thought Mara about the chronic hip pain you are having post surgery. You have mentioned a few times that you drink a lot of soda, Mountain Dew in particular daily. Did you know that that is very high in Potassium and Potassium is one of the chemical mediators for your nociceptors (pain receptors) Maybe you have such a high amount of Potassium in your body that the pain is lingering longer than it should. Try cutting out the soda and see what happens.

Worth a shot right...

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Apr 13 2011, 05:15 PM)
QUOTE (Mara @ Apr 13 2011, 01:51 PM)

I had a thought Mara about the chronic hip pain you are having post surgery. You have mentioned a few times that you drink a lot of soda, Mountain Dew in particular daily. Did you know that that is very high in Potassium and Potassium is one of the chemical mediators for your nociceptors (pain receptors) Maybe you have such a high amount of Potassium in your body that the pain is lingering longer than it should. Try cutting out the soda and see what happens.

Worth a shot right...

Mmm, but do I want to trade the hip pain for headache pain? tongue.gif

I hadn't known about the potassium/pain connection till now. Still, things have vastly improved since last I bitched about the hip. I'm up to an hour of cardio per day (real cardio! the sweaty kind!) since last week and it doesn't bother me much anymore EXCEPT at night.

Drinking a cup of "Members Mark Finest Colombian" right now, its a premium brand owned by Sam's Club/ Wal-Mart...

......... and It's not half bad.. better than your Maxwell Houses and Folgers..

... but still there is so much better, I need to go to whole foods and make me a good blend.

The only way I can do coffee after noon is if it is decaf or mixed with a bit o' Jameson. I have reduced my intake to two cups per day.