Best Movie Trilogy Of All Time

rushgoober

Some of these later on had more movies, but all were at some point known as a trilogy. Which was the best?  

41 members have voted

1. 1. Some of these later on had more movies, but all were at some point known as a trilogy. Which was the best?

• Star Wars (original)
    • Star Wars (prequels)
    • Lord of the Rings
    • The Godfather
    • Indiana Jones
    • Back to the Future
    • Austin Powers
    • The Matrix
    • X-Men
    • Spider-man
    • Superman
    • Pirates of the Caribbean
    • Mission Impossible
    • Jason Bourne
    • Die Hard
    • Hannibal Lecter
    • Evil Dead
    • Dead (Night of the Living, etc.)
    • Three Colors (Red, White, Blue)
    • Mad Max
    • Beverly Hills Cop
    • Jurassic Park
    • Blade
    • Naked Gun
    • Oceans
    • Robocop
    • Scream
    • Dollars (Man with No Name)
    • Other (please specify)

Ok, these are not all the trilogies in existence, obviously, but this should cover most of the choices people would make, and there is an "other" category for those who truly think Ace Ventura or Scooby-Doo or something more obscure really is the best trilogy of all time.

Also, some movies like Indiana Jones obviously had a 4th many years later, and some had a far more obscure 4th movie (anyone actually ever see Superman IV?), but most were only 3 movies.

• Replies 159
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I gave it to the original Star Wars trilogy, but it's more because I grew up with it and the first Star Wars (1977) is my all-time favorite movie. Even though the 3rd one was a slight step down, they were still all amazing movies.

Otherwise, I could easily have given it to Lord of the Rings, which I was VERY tempted to vote for.

There are a lot of great trilogies on that list, but these two are easily at the top of the pack IMHO...

Edited by rushgoober

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/imgthegoodthebadandtheugly1.jpg

"There are two kinds of people in this world, those with loaded guns, and those who dig."

Any friggin' questions?

There's a company that manufactures reproductions of the grips that Eastwood's character had on his Colt 1851 revolver. They're walnut with a silver rattlesnake on them. I have bought a pair of those grips because I intend to purchase a Western-frame revolver later this year and I want those grips on it! I'll be glad to post pics when I do.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Jan 4 2010, 05:31 AM)
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v329/JackAubrey/imgthegoodthebadandtheugly1.jpg

"There are two kinds of people in this world, those with loaded guns, and those who dig."

Any friggin' questions?

There's a company that manufactures reproductions of the grips that Eastwood's character had on his Colt 1851 revolver. They're walnut with a silver rattlesnake on them. I have bought a pair of those grips because I intend to purchase a Western-frame revolver later this year and I want those grips on it! I'll be glad to post pics when I do.

I KNEW you'd vote for this one. wink.gif

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Jan 4 2010, 07:48 AM)
I voted for The Godfather.

The first two Godfather films are perhaps the best one-two punch in movie history, but the third is subpar enough to drag down the trilogy, IMO.

I haven't voted yet, but for me, all three films in a trilogy need to be of stellar quality, and all three need to have had a major impact. Tough to argue with the original Star Wars or LOTR trilogies in that regard. The Indiana Jones and Bourne films also fit the bill.

IMO, the three big superhero trilogies, Superman, Spider-Man and X-Men, all have third episodes that don't live up to the first two, and that's a shame. The first two in each of those trilogies are amazing.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Jan 4 2010, 01:29 PM)
Star Wars is pure greatness, but the Lord Of The Rings trilogy was motion picture legend.

I cannot offer enough praise for how well these movies were done. yes.gif

yes.gif trink39.gif

Hmmm... this is a difficult choice. I LOVE Star Wars (original 3) but I also think that LOTR was done very well. I dunno if we can count Indiana Jones as a trilogy anymore because of Kingdom of Crystal Skull it would be like counting the first 3 Alien movies and forgetting about Resurrection ugh AVP doesn't really register to me as an Alien movie eventhough I guess it is part of that franchise.

I agree with 73's opinion about the The Godfather III dragging everything down. The first two movies were brilliant but then the 3rd one just seems so rushed and unfinished to me.

It just seems more often than not when films get onto the 3rd movie of a trilogy that everything just kinda falls apart. It's like they either dunno how to end it or they missed important details in the first 2 movies and now all of a sudden have to add them in.

So I guess my vote is going to Star Wars with LOTR in close second because they didn't rush through anything and you don't feel like you are being bombarded with information in Return of the Jedi or Return of the King.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 4 2010, 06:52 AM)
I gave it to the original Star Wars trilogy, but it's more because I grew up with it and the first Star Wars (1977) is my all-time favorite movie.

Exactly my thoughts.

I went with Spiderman because I love the first two movies.

Superman was not a trilogy. no.gif

Godfather .

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Jan 4 2010, 06:49 AM)
Ok, these are not all the trilogies in existence, obviously, but this should cover most of the choices people would make, and there is an "other" category for those who truly think Ace Ventura or Scooby-Doo or something more obscure really is the best trilogy of all time. 

Also, some movies like Indiana Jones obviously had a 4th many years later, and some had a far more obscure 4th movie (anyone actually ever see Superman IV?), but most were only 3 movies.

Actually, I've seen Superman IV: The Quest for Peace at least twice, including once in the theater, but have never seen all of Superman III with Richard Pryor.

Superman IV had a good premise, but was lame. They spent almost nothing on SFX, and even borrowed footage from the first Superman in parts. sad.gif The first two Superman movies was the shiznit, though! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

Edited by GeddyRulz

Though it was left off, Terminator blows all these sci-fi trilogies out of the water, even with the weakness of the third one.

And since the show undoes the third one, then the new Terminator can be included in the trilogy.

GodFather and the Bournes would come in second, but GF was too weak in the third and Bourne dragged in spots.