Which bands are the boys listening to?

mbrown2112

Hi Everybody,

I've read numerous articles and interviews over the years wherein the boys refer to different bands/musicians they enjoy or admire. On that topic, does anyone have any recent references? I've actually just spent the last 20 minutes trying to find a recent interview in which Neil compliments the drummers from Porcupine Tree and Tool. If anyone can provide me with this link, it would be greatly appreciated.

On a totally selfish note, I really really really wish Alex, Geddy and Neil liked the guys from Dream Theater. Unfortunately, I don't think they care for their music which means I'll never see a DT and Rush tour...Oh well, I guess I could play their live DVD's back to back and pretend...

Thanks,

Matt

For Neil just read his book Travelling Music...he writes extensively about his music tastes in his book. You'd be surprised at what he listens to...(Madonna??? Linkin Park???) I know Geddy loves Bjork and Delirium. I'm sure the boys like some of us have a wide spectrum of music they listen to.

Alex mentions "Tool" quite often, and I've heard Geddy say he liked "Metallica" before in an interview.

If I may say so Tool are an awesome band! Sorry but DT sucks...they may be talented but to me there is no soul and tends to be boring. Saw them live last fall and was not impressed at all. In that article Neil also raves about Mars Volta who are indeed an interesting band.

Lerxst likes the Mars Volta, I know that much...

Geddy has mentioned Bjork, Ween, Coldplay, and a few others...I read some interview with the Pixies drummer where he said he was a huge Rush fan and he met Geddy and Alex on the R30 tour and GEddy said he liked the Pixies so theres that.

Geddy mentioned LL Cool J around the time of RTB when he was talking about rap he liked...

As for Neil...we can just read his books.

Sinatra

Madonna

Linkin Park

Limp Bizkit (He said that "Rollin'" Was his personal theme song for the VT tour)

Plus I assume that all the guys are into the classic rock bands thaht influenced them...(Yes, Floyd, Zep, The Who, etc.)

QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Mar 23 2005, 04:22 PM)
*Picturing Neil headbanging to Linkin Park's "Keep Rollin"* 1022.gif 653.gif

laugh.gif Hehe!

-Matt

Dont you mean Limp Bizkit?

and I've heard Geddy talk about Flea from the Chillie Peppers and Faith No More.

QUOTE (Red Porschetta @ Mar 23 2005, 04:21 PM)
Dream Theater Kicks Ass!!!!

Best "Prog" band out today.

TOTALLY! I've seen DT twice. Once with Queensryche, and the second time with Yes. Both shows RULED! Queensryche and Yes ESPECAILLY kick-ass, too. Great stuff. cool.gif

-Matt

QUOTE (Cygnus_X1 @ Mar 23 2005, 04:25 PM)
QUOTE (ALifeson85 @ Mar 23 2005, 04:22 PM)
*Picturing Neil headbanging to Linkin Park's "Keep Rollin"*  1022.gif 653.gif

laugh.gif Hehe!

-Matt

Dont you mean Limp Bizkit?

and I've heard Geddy talk about Flea from the Chillie Peppers and Faith No More.

OH YEA! Ooops...haha. Just shows ya how much im 'not really' up to date with most of todays music. doh.gif

-Matt

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 23 2005, 06:57 PM)
QUOTE (Red Porschetta @ Mar 23 2005, 04:21 PM)

whatever sarcasm.gif

rofl3.gif rofl3.gif rofl3.gif

Les Claypool of Primus was one of Geddy's students. I wonder if Ged is a Primus fan?

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 23 2005, 03:10 PM)
If I may say so Tool are an awesome band! Sorry but DT sucks...they may be talented but to me there is no soul and tends to be boring. Saw them live last fall and was not impressed at all. In that article Neil also raves about Mars Volta who are indeed an interesting band.

I was reading guitar world's guilty pleasures culumn and read that the Mars Volta is one of Alex's guilty pleasures. So I guess he likes them too! biggrin.gif

QUOTE (DoubleAgent420 @ Mar 23 2005, 10:54 PM)
Les Claypool of Primus was one of Geddy's students. I wonder if Ged is a Primus fan?

Excuse my ignorance,does Geddy run a Bass school or was that a figure of speech?

It would be the one time that homework would be really looked forward to."OK, i want you all to learn "Freewill" by next week"."Oh sorry,the dog ate it!" common001.gif common001.gif

QUOTE (callmejim @ Mar 25 2005, 04:35 PM)
QUOTE (DoubleAgent420 @ Mar 23 2005, 10:54 PM)

Excuse my ignorance,does Geddy run a Bass school or was that a figure of speech?

It would be the one time that homework would be really looked forward to."OK, i want you all to learn "Freewill" by next week"."Oh sorry,the dog ate it!" common001.gif common001.gif

Bass skool? I dunno. I doubt it lol. He probably gave lessons at some point before Rush was really really big, when there was a little more free time. I don't know a whole lot about it, just something my drum teacher mentioned to me.

QUOTE (Red Porschetta @ Mar 23 2005, 03:21 PM)

Hell Yes! new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif applaudit.gif 1022.gif ...

...and as for Neil liking Limp Bizkit... bolt.gif

Archived