Andrew1

QUOTE (tick @ Dec 27 2009, 08:55 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 27 2009, 09:41 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Dec 27 2009, 08:33 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 27 2009, 04:42 PM)
QUOTE (tick @ Dec 27 2009, 02:43 PM)
QUOTE (The Owl @ Dec 27 2009, 03:39 PM)
The IMAX where I am at was 15 bucks per person.

But I went by myself, and did not get any popcorn or anything like that.

I live in Connecticut. Everything costs more then it should in my state.

that much more? near philly it is also $15...

All I know is a 3D movie in Connecticut is 15 bucks, so I'm guessing an IMAX 3D movie would probably cost a bit more ?

I dont even know what real movie costs, I almost only go to kiddie movies.. lol....

People have told me that this movie is good. I watched the trailer and it looks boring (story wise) with fab effects...

I want to see it. My wife has absolutely no interest at all. I may take my daughter. I may just wait and see it on DVD.

i was thinking of going and seeing a late shpow, maybe even 3d imax, but late shows are 10:20, which isnt so bad, but the f-cking movie is 2:40... ugh...

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 27 2009, 09:57 PM)

All I know is a 3D movie in Connecticut is 15 bucks, so I'm guessing an IMAX 3D movie would probably cost a bit more ?

I dont even know what real movie costs, I almost only go to kiddie movies.. lol....

People have told me that this movie is good. I watched the trailer and it looks boring (story wise) with fab effects...

I want to see it. My wife has absolutely no interest at all. I may take my daughter. I may just wait and see it on DVD.

i was thinking of going and seeing a late shpow, maybe even 3d imax, but late shows are 10:20, which isnt so bad, but the f-cking movie is 2:40... ugh...

SHPOW !

That sounds like a word from the 60's Batman tv show. rofl3.gif

QUOTE (tick @ Dec 27 2009, 08:59 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 27 2009, 09:57 PM)

SHPOW !

That sounds like a word from the 60's Batman tv show. rofl3.gif

Bam! Sh-Pow! Baf!

laugh.gif new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (theworkingman @ Dec 27 2009, 02:35 PM)
So Avatar comes out on top this Christmas weekend beating Holmes by 10 million. It's passed the 600 million mark worldwide.

Yup! It made over $75 million this week-end, which is just a 3% drop from the previous week-end.

$212 million domestically so far and over $620 million worldwide. Not bad for the first 10 days!

This probably won't reach the insane numbers of Cameron's Titanic, but it should wind up as one of the top 5 moneymakers of all time. Say what you will about the man (and you will), but he sure knows how to bring people in and make them pay attention...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 28 2009, 05:23 PM)
So Avatar comes out on top this Christmas weekend beating Holmes by 10 million. It's passed the 600 million mark worldwide.

Yup! It made over $75 million this week-end, which is just a 3% drop from the previous week-end.

$212 million domestically so far and over $620 million worldwide. Not bad for the first 10 days!

This probably won't reach the insane numbers of Cameron's Titanic, but it should wind up as one of the top 5 moneymakers of all time. Say what you will about the man (and you will), but he sure knows how to bring people in and make them pay attention...

does that necessarily impress you though? im impressed by story, effects, acting, etc. more than money making...

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 28 2009, 03:39 PM)

does that necessarily impress you though? im impressed by story, effects, acting, etc. more than money making...

it impresses me when it's a movie i care about.

for example, those transformer movies made a shitload of money and i won't go anywhere near those.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 28 2009, 07:34 PM)
QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 28 2009, 03:39 PM)

it impresses me when it's a movie i care about.

for example, those transformer movies made a shitload of money and i won't go anywhere near those.

good point trink39.gif its incredibly hard for me to get to a movie.. but I may wind up going to see this one...

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Dec 29 2009, 10:49 AM)
I saw this last night and I loved it. The story wasn't bad and it was a beautiful movie to see. There were some political overtones that would best be discussed in SOCN.

Overall I would recommend it.

Do these overtones reflect a conservative or a liberal viewpoint ?

QUOTE (tick @ Dec 29 2009, 10:03 AM)
QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Dec 29 2009, 10:49 AM)
I saw this last night and I loved it. The story wasn't bad and it was a beautiful movie to see. There were some political overtones that would best be discussed in SOCN.

Overall I would recommend it.

Do these overtones reflect a conservative or a liberal viewpoint ?

The way the movie was done, everyone who sees it would agree that there was definite good and evil. But if you translate it into the real world, then you can make comparisons to such things as drilling for oil under the ANWR preserve and the evils of the military establishment which may or may not have been the intentions of Cameron. So I would say it's an environmentalist friendly movie. The good guys are literal tree huggers. But if you just see the movie for a fictional story for entertainment purposes only, then everyone would enjoy it just fine. I did. smile.gif

This film is a game-changer.

It's doesn't just point towards something new that could be possible, it achieves it. Visually, this film is phenomenal.

Of course it's not the best film ever, but in what it puts up on the screen it could be a pivotal film in cinema history

Why miss out on in the chance to see this pivotal film the best way you can? If you can, see it at the cinema in 3D. It'll be a much much better experience than at home.

Love to all

Disco

QUOTE (Disco @ Dec 29 2009, 11:19 AM)

It's doesn't just point towards something new that could be possible, it achieves it. Visually, this film is phenomenal.

Of course it's not the best film ever, but in what it puts up on the screen it could be a pivotal film in cinema history

Why miss out on in the chance to see this pivotal film the best way you can? If you can, see it at the cinema in 3D. It'll be a much much better experience than at home.

goodpost.gif

VERY well said. Those who are letting extraneous things get in the way are really going to miss out. You know that 98% of you are going to see it sometime anyway in some format. Might as well see it the way it was meant to be seen.

You know, I always used to think something like, "Can you imagine if someone actually decided to make a REALLY GOOD movie in 3D as opposed to the crap that usually gets made in 3D? Wouldn't that be amazing?" Well, someone's done it.

Of course, I think this will hold up really well in 2D as well as it's still beautiful to look at and a great movie, but seeing it in 3D at the theater was a mindblowing experience.

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 29 2009, 01:26 PM)
QUOTE (Disco @ Dec 29 2009, 11:19 AM)

It's doesn't just point towards something new that could be possible, it achieves it.  Visually, this film is phenomenal. 

Why miss out on in the chance to see this pivotal film the best way you can?  If you can, see it at the cinema in 3D.  It'll be a much much better experience than at home.

goodpost.gif

VERY well said. Those who are letting extraneous things get in the way are really going to miss out. You know that 98% of you are going to see it sometime anyway in some format. Might as well see it the way it was meant to be seen.

You know, I always used to think something like, "Can you imagine if someone actually decided to make a REALLY GOOD movie in 3D as opposed to the crap that usually gets made in 3D? Wouldn't that be amazing?" Well, someone's done it.

Of course, I think this will hold up really well in 2D as well as it's still beautiful to look at and a great movie, but seeing it in 3D at the theater was a mindblowing experience.

I saw the movie in 2d simply because I was paying for me and my kids and I'm too cheap to pay for them to see it in 3d. cool.gif But I think it would have been really good in 3d provided that you don't easily get motion sickness.

I wouldn't be surprised, given all the money that went into developing the new technology for this film, if they released the DVD when it comes out WITH a pair of 3D glasses and a 2nd version that could be watched in 3D. That would be really cool! I almost never buy DVD's, but that one I would buy. yes.gif

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 29 2009, 03:25 PM)
I wouldn't be surprised, given all the money that went into developing the new technology for this film, if they released the DVD when it comes out WITH a pair of 3D glasses and a 2nd version that could be watched in 3D.  That would be really cool!  I almost never buy DVD's, but that one I would buy. yes.gif

Knowing James Cameron's greedy ass, the 3D version will be in the fifth Blu-Ray release 20 years from now -- the "7-Disc Ultra Ultimate Platinum Director's Cut 3D 'King Of The Universe' Pandora Edition."

QUOTE (Presto-digitation @ Dec 29 2009, 10:20 AM)
It reflects a view point of justice, which isn't political.

I like that, man. Good job and well said!

Edit: I was talking to my good friend John the other day who had seen the movie. He told me that he didn't want to spoil it for me, but that it would appeal to me in the same way it did him. I suspect that this is what he was talking about as he and I both share a strong sense of justice and right and wrong.

Edited by Jack Aubrey

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 29 2009, 04:24 PM)
I wouldn't be surprised, given all the money that went into developing the new technology for this film, if they released the DVD when it comes out WITH a pair of 3D glasses and a 2nd version that could be watched in 3D.  That would be really cool!  I almost never buy DVD's, but that one I would buy. yes.gif

Knowing James Cameron's greedy ass, the 3D version will be in the fifth Blu-Ray release 20 years from now -- the "7-Disc Ultra Ultimate Platinum Director's Cut 3D 'King Of The Universe' Pandora Edition."

Just don't buy the director's cut of The Abyss! Trust me, the theatrical version is much better!

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Dec 29 2009, 02:56 PM)
QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 29 2009, 04:24 PM)

Just don't buy the director's cut of The Abyss! Trust me, the theatrical version is much better!

I hope "Avatar" makes Hollywood put out "The Abyss" on Blu-Ray soon!

I loved the director's cut with the tidal wave scene.

The story takes place in 2154 but the main actor sounds and talks like a typical unintelligent 25-30 year old from 2009, not very believable, - I thought the story was simple, unexceptional but you have to see it strictly for the effects, amazing especially in 3d -