• Please log in to reply
426 replies to this topic

#21 Mandalorian Hunter

Mandalorian Hunter

The God Of Balance

• Members
  • 5811 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 08:15 PM

I thought the 3D visuals were stunning and worth the admission price alone. Hopefully the work Cameron has put in to this will push the industry forward, and the more people using this technology should hopefully bring the cost of making such a film down. I really hope this happens because the CGI was incredible and almost lifelike. Lucas must be spinning in his chair at Skywalker Ranch.

The plot wasn't so great, however. I'm doing the Aztecs and Spaniards in University at the moment so I didn't want to be reminded of overbearing conquerers, but the underlying (or overlying, depending on your point of view) messages were current and relevant enough they could strike a chord with some in the audience. Saying that though, when was the last movie released that was really original. Aswell, Avatar could have been far more deriative, and hey, if Cameron wants to spread a message, I've got no issues with a guy spreading an environmental message to the largest audience possible.

Overall, I enjoyed it.

Sponsored Post

#22 The Owl

The Owl

Gary #2

• Members *
  • 13987 posts

Posted 24 December 2009 - 10:45 PM

The plot was not bad, in fact it was IMO quite good, but I was typical, it was conventional, and something we have seen hundreds of times....

It was basically Dances with Wolves/Pocahontas/ The Last Samurai "in space" ....

It was an unoriginal story, but told in an original way. (If that makes sense)  

#23 Alex

Alex

"This IS my happy face!"

• Members *
  • 12902 posts
  • Interests:Business, Cars, Economics, Politics, Philosophy

Posted 25 December 2009 - 12:02 AM

Amazing movie. As The Owl said, not original, but the movie was great.

#24 Rush Cocky

Rush Cocky

Go Cocks!

• Members
  • 11865 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 04:09 AM

QUOTE (theworkingman @ Dec 24 2009, 07:03 PM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Dec 24 2009, 03:22 PM)
QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Dec 23 2009, 12:02 PM)
QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 23 2009, 11:23 AM)
I don't give a rat's ass about this flick. Another waste of hundreds of millions of $$$$
imo

Agreed dude. Bad story, bad movie. I could care less about the visual aspect.

It does not appear to appeal to me at all.

These two comments are very easy for me to believe, and therefore I will not be seeing this at the theater.

Not at a theater? But are you planning on seeing it at all when it's released on dvd?

Possibly.  I'll be in no hurry though.

I've just come to the realization that movie producers/directors just don't make movies with my preferences in mind anymore.

#25 rushgoober

rushgoober

Vapor Troll

• Members
  • 29999 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 06:41 PM

You always gotta love people putting a movie down they haven't even seen. wink.gif

I thought it was amazing, a real experience.  It was like a science-fiction book come to life in a way that I've rarely, rarely seen.  Honestly, the only thing that bothered me, and this is a spoiler, is the battle at the end with the last standing marine - it was a bit superfluous and a bit too Hollywood action blockbustery, but still the movie was so awesome that I easily forgave that.

Yes, there were definitely aspects of the story that weren't highly original, but there were a lot of aspects that WERE highly original, and there was a LOT I hadn't seen before.  I think a lot of people will truly be missing out if they don't see this because of pre-judging it in some way.  

I truly do hope that the positive message of the movie isn't obscured by the cynical point of view that it's merely unoriginal.  That would be a shame.

And oh yeah, the 3D was stunning - see it in 3D if you can!  Visually phenomenal...

Edited by rushgoober, 25 December 2009 - 08:34 PM.

#26 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30288 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:04 PM

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 26 2009, 08:41 AM)
You always gotta love people putting a movie down they haven't even seen. wink.gif

I thought it was amazing, a real experience.  It was like a science-fiction book come to life in a way that I've rarely, rarely seen.  Honestly, the only thing that bothered me, and this is a spoiler, is the battle at the end with the last standing marine - it was a bit superfluous and a bit too Hollywood action blockbustery, but still the movie was so awesome that I easily forgave that.

Yes, there were definitely aspects of the story that weren't highly original, but there were a lot of aspects that WERE highly original, and there was a LOT I hadn't seen before.  I think a lot of people will truly be missing out if they don't see this because of pre-judging it in some way.  

I truly do hope that the positive message of the movie isn't obscured by the cynical point of view that it's merely unoriginal.  That would be a shame.

And oh yeah, the 3D was stunning - see it in 3D if you can!  Visually phenomenal...

Yeah, you really do need to see it in 3D IMAX.  Some of the flying scenes were unreal that way.  It was more like riding an attraction than watching a movie.  Imho if you watch it on dvd then you might as well NOT watch it.  This is a movie for the cinema no matter how good your home entertainment center is

#27 Rush Cocky

Rush Cocky

Go Cocks!

• Members
  • 11865 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:33 PM

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 25 2009, 06:41 PM)

Seen enough in a preview, plus the 1,000 or so commercials on the topic.

#28 ReRushed

ReRushed

My Yellow Submarine is docked at Red Sector A

• Members
  • 18721 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:42 PM

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Dec 25 2009, 11:33 PM)

I've read several reviews, both positive and negative, and I came away not eager to see the film.  The negative reviews left me with the impression I would not enjoy the film because it has an alleged agenda I don't particularly agree with.  I feel I know the reasons why some people like it and why some people don't like it.  I'll eventually see the film because I've enjoyed so many Cameron films in the past.  I just want the hype to die down so I can watch the film as objectively as possible.  My take, don't believe the hype, for now.  

#29 rushgoober

rushgoober

Vapor Troll

• Members
  • 29999 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 10:56 PM

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Dec 25 2009, 08:04 PM)
QUOTE (rushgoober @ Dec 26 2009, 08:41 AM)

I thought it was amazing, a real experience.  It was like a science-fiction book come to life in a way that I've rarely, rarely seen.  Honestly, the only thing that bothered me, and this is a spoiler, is the battle at the end with the last standing marine - it was a bit superfluous and a bit too Hollywood action blockbustery, but still the movie was so awesome that I easily forgave that.

Yes, there were definitely aspects of the story that weren't highly original, but there were a lot of aspects that WERE highly original, and there was a LOT I hadn't seen before.  I think a lot of people will truly be missing out if they don't see this because of pre-judging it in some way. 

I truly do hope that the positive message of the movie isn't obscured by the cynical point of view that it's merely unoriginal.  That would be a shame.

And oh yeah, the 3D was stunning - see it in 3D if you can!  Visually phenomenal...

Yeah, you really do need to see it in 3D IMAX.  Some of the flying scenes were unreal that way.  It was more like riding an attraction than watching a movie.  Imho if you watch it on dvd then you might as well NOT watch it.  This is a movie for the cinema no matter how good your home entertainment center is

Unfortunately there's no IMAX theater anywhere close to me, but at least I got to see it in 3D!  And yeah, the flying scenes and the visuals in general were truly amazing.

I think it will still be a great movie in 2D and on the small screen, but if you CAN see the movie in the theaters, and especially in 3D, I highly recommend it.

#30 Rush Cocky

Rush Cocky

Go Cocks!

• Members
  • 11865 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 11:14 PM

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 25 2009, 10:42 PM)

I've read several reviews, both positive and negative, and I came away not eager to see the film.  The negative reviews left me with the impression I would not enjoy the film because it has an alleged agenda I don't particularly agree with.  I feel I know the reasons why some people like it and why some people don't like it.  I'll eventually see the film because I've enjoyed so many Cameron films in the past.  I just want the hype to die down so I can watch the film as objectively as possible.  My take, don't believe the hype, for now.

goodpost.gif  

#31 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30288 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 11:23 PM

QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 26 2009, 12:42 PM)

For what it's worth, due to my geography I knew nothing of the movie hype.  I saw no tv advertisments (since I don't watch tv) or previews.  The only thing I knew about it before watching it the other day (besides seeing a couple of posters) was that James Cameron spent a ton of money on it.  

#32 rushgoober

rushgoober

Vapor Troll

• Members
  • 29999 posts

Posted 25 December 2009 - 11:58 PM

QUOTE (JohnnyBlaze @ Dec 25 2009, 09:23 PM)
QUOTE (ReRushed @ Dec 26 2009, 12:42 PM)

For what it's worth, due to my geography I knew nothing of the movie hype.  I saw no tv advertisments (since I don't watch tv) or previews.  The only thing I knew about it before watching it the other day (besides seeing a couple of posters) was that James Cameron spent a ton of money on it.

Pretty much the same here.  I avoided the commercials at all costs. I just heard it was expensive (hard to miss that one) and it was something special.  I wasn't disappointed.

I remember when Waterworld came out.  I saw it almost immediately when it came out, and thankfully I never heard one word about how people were freaking out over how expensive it was which caused a lot of people not to see it, or to see it with unrealistic expectations.  I thought it was a really good movie.

This is why I often try not to pay attention to hype and/or watch commercials, trailers and previews, especially about movies that seem interesting to me.  I just look to see what genre it is, how well reviewed it is by reviewers and people I know, and that's it.  For me, the less I know going in, the better.  Some people have the whole thing put in a box and figured out beforehand, and they don't get to enjoy it for what it is, if they see it at all...

Edited by rushgoober, 26 December 2009 - 12:00 AM.

#33 PariahDog

PariahDog

Superconductor

• Members
  • 1249 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 03:58 PM

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Dec 25 2009, 11:14 PM)

goodpost.gif

Did you guys have a problem with those liberal, tree-hugging Ewoks in Return of the Jedi? tongue.gif

#34 lerxt1990

lerxt1990

Minister of Silly Walks

• Members *
  • 61203 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 05:02 PM

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Dec 26 2009, 03:58 PM)

goodpost.gif

Did you guys have a problem with those liberal, tree-hugging Ewoks in Return of the Jedi? tongue.gif

I did.  I dont like muppets mixed with my Sci Fi.

#35 rushgoober

rushgoober

Vapor Troll

• Members
  • 29999 posts

Posted 26 December 2009 - 07:51 PM

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 26 2009, 03:02 PM)

goodpost.gif

I did.  I dont like muppets mixed with my Sci Fi.

The ewoks were really the only weak point in the original trilogy IMHO.  Still, they were a hell of a lot better than Jar Jar Binks.  comp26.gif  

#36 ReRushed

ReRushed

My Yellow Submarine is docked at Red Sector A

• Members
  • 18721 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 10:53 AM

QUOTE (PariahDog @ Dec 26 2009, 04:58 PM)

goodpost.gif

Ewoks are annoying.

My reaction to the reviews I read is not that simple.  There are several reasons I'm not buying the hype.

#37 lerxt1990

lerxt1990

Minister of Silly Walks

• Members *
  • 61203 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:29 AM

so is the movie any f-cking good or not? smile.gif

#38 theredtamasrule

theredtamasrule

The Elitist Booby Type

• Members
  • 8918 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 11:34 AM

goodpost.gif

Yes. They sucked. Hated them then, hate them more now.  

#39 JohnnyBlaze

JohnnyBlaze

The Ghost Rider

• Members *
  • 30288 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:12 PM

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 28 2009, 01:29 AM)

laugh.gif
Go to an IMAX theater and watch it in 3D if you can.  It's at least worth that.  Also, I think I said before, this is NOT a Roland Emmerich type piece of shit story.  Sure it's a rehashed story but it's not THAT bad.  

Special Effects: A+
Story: C+
Overall Experience: B

#40 rushgoober

rushgoober

Vapor Troll

• Members
  • 29999 posts

Posted 27 December 2009 - 12:45 PM

QUOTE (lerxt1990 @ Dec 27 2009, 09:29 AM)

It's a GREAT movie and shouldn't be missed.  Whatever reasons people are using to not see the movie are all well and fine, but they're missing out on a great enjoyable experience IMHO...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users