Andrew1

My wife hasn't been to the theater in years. In fact, she hates it, but I got her to go opening night with me. She doesn't even like movies like this but she LOVED IT. She even wants to go and see it again. WTF? I'm not kidding everyone. This movie is an EXPERIENCE. See it in 3-D, and take your kids (It's PG-13 and safe for them). Forget what everyone is saying about the "storyline". It's not 'Schindler's List' or 'The English Patient' if you're looking for that, but it is enlightening.

It's MIND BLOWING. Just see the damn movie and tell us what you think.......

• Replies 426
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I saw it yesterday. It was a very visually rich film, but the story was pretty basic. The action was entertaining, the acting mostly so-so.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Dec 23 2009, 11:48 AM)
QUOTE (Sark @ Dec 23 2009, 10:09 AM)
I saw it yesterday. It was a very visually rich film, but the story was pretty basic. The action was entertaining, the acting mostly so-so.

Sounds like a typical Cameron film.

Titanic would be the exception.

I don't give a rat's ass about this flick. Another waste of hundreds of millions of $$$$

imo

QUOTE (metaldad @ Dec 23 2009, 11:23 AM)
I don't give a rat's ass about this flick. Another waste of hundreds of millions of $$$$
imo

Agreed dude. Bad story, bad movie. I could care less about the visual aspect.

You didn't get the allegory?

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Dec 23 2009, 10:10 AM)

I got it just fine. It's been done before, and better at that.

QUOTE (Sark @ Dec 23 2009, 01:15 PM)

I thought it was done better than District 9 if that's the movie you're referring to...

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Dec 23 2009, 01:27 PM)

I thought it was done better than District 9 if that's the movie you're referring to...

Maybe he meant the allegory that I was referring to in the other Avatar thread where I was poking fun at it. wink.gif

QUOTE (SiriusRushFan @ November 15 2009, 02:38 PM)
This movie may be ok for a 3-D CGI type movie, but it kinda reminds me of a high tech modern day Braveheart, except instead of the commoners of Scotland (Mel Gibson and his buddies) rising up against England, it's the commoners of Pandora (the Na'vi) rising up against the Marines. laugh.gif

QUOTE (SiriusRushFan @ Dec 24 2009, 12:49 PM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Dec 23 2009, 01:27 PM)

Maybe he meant the allegory that I was referring to in the other Avatar thread where I was poking fun at it. wink.gif

QUOTE (SiriusRushFan @ November 15 2009, 02:38 PM)
This movie may be ok for a 3-D CGI type movie, but it kinda reminds me of a high tech modern day Braveheart, except instead of the commoners of Scotland (Mel Gibson and his buddies) rising up against England, it's the commoners of Pandora (the Na'vi) rising up against the Marines. laugh.gif

At it's core it was a fairly simple story that definitely has been done many times: locals being overpowered by greedy invaders...nothing that deep about it at all. Toss in a few hundred million dollars toward special effects and you have a blockbuster. It's definitely NOT a Roland Emmerich moronic piece of crap BUT if it weren't for the special effects it'd likely fall under the radar

QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Dec 23 2009, 10:27 AM)

No, it's just what^^ J.B. ^^ reffered to. Environmental distruction, the decimation of a race for financial gain...etc. It is an old theme that has been done in many other movies.

QUOTE (Sark @ Dec 24 2009, 09:48 AM)
QUOTE (Ya_Big_Tree @ Dec 23 2009, 10:27 AM)

No, it's just what^^ J.B. ^^ reffered to. Environmental distruction, the decimation of a race for financial gain...etc. It is an old theme that has been done in many other movies.

So was Star Wars.

AVATAR....is a wonderful, full-on visual spectacle with heart and -- yes -- a message about peace, co-existence, and greed. However strongly leaning the message might seem, it still has a tact to it not terribly dissimilar from that of Dances With Wolves or even The Last Samurai. So if you don't mind the perspective (and sense of unrightful conquest) of those films, you probably won't this either and, regardless, there's no denying it comes from a good place. (Already right wing media is calling the film out as anti-American, etc).

Beneath all of the poltical bantering that's sure to ensue lies a really engaging, often touching and nearly constantly breath-taking modern fairy tale the likes of which I've not seen since the Lord Of The Rings trilogy. In some ways the film surpasses that, combining the awe of Middle Earth with the magnificence of the alien worlds of Star Wars. About 10 minutes after the introduction of the CGI-created indiginous peoples of Pandora appear, you forget that you're watching animation altogether because you're fully invested in this world (not Earth) and its inhabitants. By the end of the film, these are fully realized and developed characters for whom you emote and it's a world you both fear and that which also leaves you in an almost tearful awe it's so wonderous.

On the visual end alone the film -- like all of Cameron's -- is a thrill ride and enormously entertaining. Much like Titanic, Aliens, or Terminator 2, there's something for everyone. It's quite possible to merely take in and enjoy the adventure aspect alone, but the stunning visuals and excitement never derail the story or the flow. They are simply tools by which Cameron tells the story, not to supplant it or swallow it. Very few things here seem arbitrary or forced. If something is occuring, there's a good reason for it. And despite the hefty 2.5 + hours, it flies by.

None of the visuals would mean squat if we didn't enjoy these characters. And much like Aliens and Titanic, while we do enjoy them, they're not so overly deep and worthwhile that we confuse the film for anything less than an adventure film. Cameron often teeters on giving us a bit too little, but always just enough to engage us and he does so again here. Like with Jack and Rose, no one here is likely to walk away from this film with an actor's Oscar. But I dare you to not be drawn in by them just the same.

John Travolta in Pulp Fiction initially scoffs at the notion of paying five dollars for a milkshake. "That's ice cream and milk? That's....five dollars?"....only to eventually concede how satisfying it is. "I'm not sure if it's worth five dollars, but this is a damn good shake!"

Likewise I'm not sure any film is worth a four hundred million dollar investment (plus another 100 for advertisement), but for the money, you're certainly seeing the likes of which you've never seen before, I can assure you. And unless it pays off at the box office, you might not ever see this type of thing again. Whatever the shake out, Cameron's made a film that is equal parts timely and reflective in an historic sense, fun, wonderous, romantic (yes, that too!!) and the most engaging interaction between live action and animation I've ever seen. Like with Titanic, it has something for everyone...while always speaking to the wide-eyed kid inside you.

Hey Cameron, let's not wait another 12 years for your next film. We've missed you.

Very good review. I've seen it twice already (once in regular Dolby 3D and once in IMAX 3D). I already can't wait for the blu-ray dvd. This really is a fantastic movie and Zoe Saldana steals the show (not unlike Cameron to put a strong female lead role in there). It's been a good year for movies (specifically Sci-Fi) with this, District 9, Moon, Star Trek all out there. Also, what a great score in this. Amazing.

Two beautiful tracks (specifically the latter)

QUOTE (Xanadoood @ Dec 23 2009, 12:02 PM)
imo

It does not appear to appeal to me at all.

These two comments are very easy for me to believe, and therefore I will not be seeing this at the theater.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Dec 24 2009, 03:22 PM)
imo

These two comments are very easy for me to believe, and therefore I will not be seeing this at the theater.

Not at a theater? But are you planning on seeing it at all when it's released on dvd?

If you are, you might as well see it now in theaters. People, this is a movie that NEEDS to be seen in theaters. Will it be just as good at home on your television? Yes. But you won't be experiencing the full 3D James Cameron spent half a billion for us to see.

In IMAX, my entire sight was filled with screen and I literally felt like I was watching these people from a bush or a tree on Pandora and when you see some of these scenes on the big screen (the flying scene, when he first meets Neytiri that first night walking through the forest, and the floating mountains) it's breathtaking.

I thought the 3D visuals were stunning and worth the admission price alone. Hopefully the work Cameron has put in to this will push the industry forward, and the more people using this technology should hopefully bring the cost of making such a film down. I really hope this happens because the CGI was incredible and almost lifelike. Lucas must be spinning in his chair at Skywalker Ranch.

The plot wasn't so great, however. I'm doing the Aztecs and Spaniards in University at the moment so I didn't want to be reminded of overbearing conquerers, but the underlying (or overlying, depending on your point of view) messages were current and relevant enough they could strike a chord with some in the audience. Saying that though, when was the last movie released that was really original. Aswell, Avatar could have been far more deriative, and hey, if Cameron wants to spread a message, I've got no issues with a guy spreading an environmental message to the largest audience possible.

Overall, I enjoyed it.

The plot was not bad, in fact it was IMO quite good, but I was typical, it was conventional, and something we have seen hundreds of times....

It was basically Dances with Wolves/Pocahontas/ The Last Samurai "in space" ....

It was an unoriginal story, but told in an original way. (If that makes sense)

QUOTE (theworkingman @ Dec 24 2009, 07:03 PM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Dec 24 2009, 03:22 PM)
imo

Not at a theater? But are you planning on seeing it at all when it's released on dvd?

Possibly. I'll be in no hurry though.

I've just come to the realization that movie producers/directors just don't make movies with my preferences in mind anymore.

You always gotta love people putting a movie down they haven't even seen. wink.gif

I thought it was amazing, a real experience. It was like a science-fiction book come to life in a way that I've rarely, rarely seen. Honestly, the only thing that bothered me, and this is a spoiler, is the battle at the end with the last standing marine - it was a bit superfluous and a bit too Hollywood action blockbustery, but still the movie was so awesome that I easily forgave that.

Yes, there were definitely aspects of the story that weren't highly original, but there were a lot of aspects that WERE highly original, and there was a LOT I hadn't seen before. I think a lot of people will truly be missing out if they don't see this because of pre-judging it in some way.

I truly do hope that the positive message of the movie isn't obscured by the cynical point of view that it's merely unoriginal. That would be a shame.

And oh yeah, the 3D was stunning - see it in 3D if you can! Visually phenomenal...

Edited by rushgoober