What should Rush do for the next album?

crushtopher

Just dropping the topic out there. Personally i have alot of ideas thought i throw it out to the masses just for shits and giggles. I would love to see Rush do a concept album where everything blends into the next. I would also love to see them stretch the boundaries and really show the versatality of the band. For example on disc two of rush from rio they show alex jamming out getting warmed up for a show. The licks he plays are unreal ,but they are more blues ,jazz fusion. cool10.gif

I personally would like to see the next album be part acoustic ,part electric, part

instrumental and then some of the traditional in your face hard driven prog Rock.

Yet the entire album be a story where all the songs are woven together much like 2112 but longer........"The Wall" length . Maybe even use a guest jammer or an orchestra on given pieces. Maybe some 15 minute instrumental in there too.

Just a few suggestion.....not like it will matter .Rush will do what Rush will do anyway . Im sure i will be satisfied with the next effort regardless. What do you all think? GeddyFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif AlexFinal.gif

QUOTE (sfuentes @ Mar 21 2005, 08:20 PM)
This is very unlikely, but I would like to see a two disc set with a common theme among the songs. I also hope that they record another epic. Ahh, I'd give anything for that.

Another epic would be quite sweet. yes.gif trink39.gif

Guest Quigley_Moog

This is very unlikely, but I would like to see a two disc set with a common theme among the songs. I also hope that they record another epic. Ahh, I'd give anything for that.

Same here. trink39.gif But I also think it is unlikely; they said after Hemispheres that the concept albums were over. I would like to see Permanent Waves Pt. 2

*Bring back the synths...not go all out with them like they did in teh 80s but use them to add texture like they did in the late 70s, Hemisphere and all that.

*Lerxst, for the love of Garage, play a guitar solo!

*Geddy, tone down the backing vocals. The idea of having lots of Geddys singing different things at the same time worked wonderfully on Presto, but on Vapor Trails it just got to be too much.

*Another epic would be nice but it's not very likely.

That's all I can think of for now...

Please, guys, an instrumental!!!

Another epic is about as likely as Rush recording a concept album based on the Captain Underpants books....

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0439417848.01._PIdp-schmoo2,TopRight,7,-26_PE34_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

QUOTE (Sweetmiracle @ Mar 22 2005, 02:18 AM)

Another epic is about as likely as Rush recording a concept album based on the Captain Underpants books....

http://images.amazon.com/images/P/0439417848.01._PIdp-schmoo2,TopRight,7,-26_PE34_SCMZZZZZZZ_.jpg

I don't know, I think it could work -

Professor Pippy P.Poopypants and the Snow Dog........

It has a ring to it, don't you think?

Part 1 - Harold and George

Part 2 - Horowitz is Hades

Part 3 - Snap!!

Part 4 - Fabulous Fliporama

Part 5 - Water Splash

Part 6 - Harold and George (Reprise)

biggrin.gif

Crushtopher, unlikely though your idea is, I personally would wet myself.

Puppetking - You speak with wisdom beyond your years (now where's your CPCDE discs?????!!!!!! ohmy.gif biggrin.gif )

*Bring back the synths...not go all out with them like they did in teh 80s but use them to add texture like they did in the late 70s, Hemisphere and all that.
*Lerxst, for the love of Garage, play a guitar solo!
*Geddy, tone down the backing vocals. The idea of having lots of Geddys singing different things at the same time worked wonderfully on Presto, but on Vapor Trails it just got to be too much.
*Another epic would be nice but it's not very likely.

That's all I can think of for now...

So very true....Especially the part with the synths and the backing vocals...We need more synths so that there is a true goosebump melody...For example, like the end of Marathon, how there are like 8 different things happening, and yet it souinds incredible like a big finale...And definetely cut the backing vocals...WAY too much on vapor trails!

Oh, and whatever Rush releases, I will buy and I'm very sure I'll enjoy!

2.gif trink39.gif 2.gif

QUOTE (madra sneachta @ Mar 21 2005, 06:37 PM)
QUOTE (Sweetmiracle @ Mar 22 2005, 02:18 AM)

I don't know, I think it could work -

Professor Pippy P.Poopypants and the Snow Dog........

It has a ring to it, don't you think?

Part 1 - Harold and George

Part 2 - Horowitz is Hades

Part 3 - Snap!!

Part 4 - Fabulous Fliporama

Part 5 - Water Splash

Part 6 - Harold and George (Reprise)

biggrin.gif

Crushtopher, unlikely though your idea is, I personally would wet myself.

Puppetking - You speak with wisdom beyond your years (now where's your CPCDE discs?????!!!!!! ohmy.gif biggrin.gif )

They're coming. I have disc 1 pretty much completed. Just need to finish disc 2 and write the liner notes.

Also they're not overdue or anything because I've only gotten 4 or 5 out of the expected 14, and I haven't gottn one in like a month.

But I'm working on it.

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Mar 21 2005, 08:22 PM)

Another epic would be quite sweet. yes.gif trink39.gif

I just was thinking the same

Easy... Record it already!!!!

Getting antsy, here.

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Mar 21 2005, 07:55 PM)

yes.gif I get tired of Ged's multi-layering vocals, too.

Yes, Alex should do some solos within the songs.

NeilFinal.gif can stay just like he is.... cool.gif

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (paganoman @ Mar 22 2005, 09:38 AM)

Easy... Record it already!!!!

Getting antsy, here.

laugh.gif My thoughts exactly. When I saw this thread "What should Rush do for the next album" my first thought was, "release it quickly!!!" cool.gif

QUOTE (Cato76 @ Mar 22 2005, 09:15 AM)
Personally, I would like to see them put out a cd much like Moving Pictures. The synthesizers need to be put back in. I think Vapor Trails is a great cd but would have been even better with more keyboard work.

That's why I love VT so much, the lack of keyboards wink.gif

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Mar 22 2005, 10:06 AM)
QUOTE (Cato76 @ Mar 22 2005, 09:15 AM)
Personally,  I would like to see them put out a cd much like Moving Pictures.  The synthesizers need to be put back in.  I think Vapor Trails is a great cd but would have been even better with more keyboard work.

That's why I love VT so much, the lack of keyboards wink.gif

Thats what I thought too....keyboards are great, but not that great.

The general opinion here seems to be another epic, and I fully agree yes.gif

I know it's a copout answer, yet it is true. And it's consistent as I've said this before.

I have no opinion here. The reason I LOVE this band the way I do is the fact that I've learned to trust them. Whatever they decide to do, and however they decide to do it - will be F'ing Awesome as far as I'm concerned. I can't say that about any other band on the planet. Just these guys. I'm ready for whatever they want to do. Bring it on.

653.gif 2.gif AlexFinal.gif NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif 2.gif 653.gif

My thoughts exactly. Rush can do no wrong. If it's a Rush album, I'll dig it.

Given Alex's distaste for sharing sonic space with anything other than bass, drums, and vocals these days, I wouldn't expect much in the keyboard department on the next album. If Geddy was going to bring a little more textural variety back into the picture in that area, though, it would be great to have it be something other than just a few string pads...maybe do something a little more modern and experimental.

What the hey, whatever they decide to do, I'm sure it will be an enjoyable listen, as always. When I want to hear some great synthesizer work, I can always listen to William Orbit. I accepted long ago that Rush's days of embracing the cutting edge of technology are in the past - ever since Counterparts, that's not really what they've been about, and that's fine. wink.gif

QUOTE (Dave G @ Mar 22 2005, 04:00 PM)
Given Alex's distaste for sharing sonic space with anything other than bass, drums, and vocals these days, I wouldn't expect much in the keyboard department on the next album.

I agree...but I don't care for your wording. Alex has taken a back seat like no one with his talent has before. How many sounds does Geddy need to produce at once for Kripes sake? Hes already got the bass (guitar) and some mids with his voice. Geez. We also don't know what they will do next. There could be more effects and sampling or none at all.

Archived