Rush vs. The Beatles

invisibleairwaves

QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Mar 20 2005, 02:34 PM)
The Fab Four or the legendray Canadian power trio (why does everyone call them that? confused13.gif ) What are your opinions?

Beatles are called Fab Four because there were 4 of them and they was Fab...... 2.gif is called that because they are legendary, Canadian, and a power trio.... tongue.gif

I dont know...

I love the Beatles and everything (except Sgt. Peppers...062802puke_prv.gif ) but the thing is I'm just so f***ing sick of seeing them top EVERY list ofbest band/album/song/whatever. They were a great band but were they really the #1 BEST at EVERYTHING THEY EVER DID? I think not. That said, Abbey Road is one of my 10 or 15 favourite albums of all time.

I just connect so much more with Rush's music than with the Beatles'. But it's all opinion I guess.

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Mar 20 2005, 02:55 PM)
QUOTE (invisibleairwaves @ Mar 20 2005, 02:34 PM)
The Fab Four or the legendray Canadian power trio (why does everyone call them that? confused13.gif ) What are your opinions?

Beatles are called Fab Four because there were 4 of them and they was Fab...... 2.gif is called that because they are legendary, Canadian, and a power trio.... tongue.gif

I meant how every newspaper or Internet article calls 2.gif the "Canadian power trio"- it's getting quite cliche'd!

QUOTE (PuppetKing2112 @ Mar 20 2005, 02:56 PM)
I dont know...

I love the Beatles and everything (except Sgt. Peppers...062802puke_prv.gif ) but the thing is I'm just so f***ing sick of seeing them top EVERY list ofbest band/album/song/whatever. They were a great band but were they really the #1 BEST at EVERYTHING THEY EVER DID? I think not. That said, Abbey Road is one of my 10 or 15 favourite albums of all time.

I just connect so much more with Rush's music than with the Beatles'. But it's all opinion I guess.

I love both bands to death but I think the difference between the two is the Beatles are tops and more celebrated for innovation (especially in the studio) and influence but 2.gif are far more superior in terms of actual talent. I love both bands and really to say one is greater than the other is pointless considering the times they were in and circumstances of their careers.

http://img119.exs.cx/img119/6469/musician746iy.gifhttp://img119.exs.cx/img119/9165/musician754mu.gifhttp://img119.exs.cx/img119/959/musician762rn.gifhttp://img119.exs.cx/img119/969/musician774pf.gif

NeilFinal.gif GeddyFinal.gif AlexFinal.gif

I choose not to decide, but I still have made a choice. But I listen to 2.gif FAR more these days than any one else, and Pink Floyd and Yes are tied for second place.

I have everything they both recorded, as well as Pink Floyd and Yes !

I went through a Beatles stage when I was a teenager...spent hours analyzing the cover of Sgt. Pepper for hidden messages. biggrin.gif

But now...Rush is first, then in a constantly revolving second place: Floyd, Yes, U2...then various other bands come after that. I rarely listen to the Beatles any more.

Guest Quigley_Moog
Rush takes the cake because they write more difficult (thus more satisfying songs) plus they are better at their respective instruments. Especially in the drum dept. But I really must ask, do the Beatles even get a fair shot at winning over Rush at a RUSH FORUM? Kind of silly, but an entertaining argument nonetheless.

QUOTE (Indica @ Mar 20 2005, 09:24 PM)
Why even try to compare two totally different bands in two different eras?

Couldn't agree more Indica, you just can't compare the 2, both totally different bands, different eras. Rush are much more talented musicians but there would not be half of the great music and bands today if it weren't for The Beatles

QUOTE (Huck @ Mar 20 2005, 05:36 PM)

Couldn't agree more Indica, you just can't compare the 2, both totally different bands, different eras. Rush are much more talented musicians but there would not be half of the great music and bands today if it weren't for The Beatles

exactly yes.gif

QUOTE (Indica @ Mar 20 2005, 04:24 PM)

I agree. Almost like comparing apples and oranges. That being said, the Beatles are the most influential rock band EVER. Without them, the musical landscape of today would be quite different.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 20 2005, 02:48 PM)
the Beatles are the most influential rock band EVER. Without them, the musical landscape of today would be quite different.

I totally agree with this statement!

QUOTE (Huck @ Mar 20 2005, 05:36 PM)

Sorry Huck, I pretty much repeated you! tongue.gif But I'll just add that Paul and George were very talented musicians in their own right. (Well, Paul still is...)

QUOTE (Quigley_Moog @ Mar 20 2005, 04:31 PM)
Rush takes the cake because they write more difficult (thus more satisfying songs) plus they are better at their respective instruments. Especially in the drum dept. But I really must ask, do the Beatles even get a fair shot at winning over Rush at a RUSH FORUM? Kind of silly, but an entertaining argument nonetheless.

I guess you're right. I started this topic largely because of a dispute with a friend. Not the place to get an unbiased opinion though. biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Quigley_Moog @ Mar 20 2005, 01:31 PM)
Rush takes the cake because they write more difficult (thus more satisfying songs)

So going by this logic, Dream Theater doesn't suck. You may need to rethink your system.

But yeah, Rush's MUSICIANS are infinitely more talented than the Beatles...for what that's worth.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Mar 20 2005, 05:48 PM)
QUOTE (Indica @ Mar 20 2005, 04:24 PM)

I agree. Almost like comparing apples and oranges. That being said, the Beatles are the most influential rock band EVER. Without them, the musical landscape of today would be quite different.

Oops!

I didn't read this quote before posting. And I thought I was being so original?! sad.gif

Paul

Archived