Alomar ready to announce retirement

barney_rebel

Alomar ready to announce retirement

Sports Ticker

3/18/2005

ST. PETERSBURG, Florida - Roberto Alomar went home after playing only one inning Friday night and the Tampa Bay Devil Rays said they would have an announcement concerning his future Saturday, leading to speculation that the 12-time all-star was planning to retire.

Alomar made a pair of errors in the first inning before leaving the team - possibly for good - as the Toronto Blue Jays edged the Devil Rays, 5-4, in a Grapefruit League contest.

After playing for four teams in as many seasons, Alomar signed a free agent contract with Tampa Bay in January with hopes of reviving his fledgling career. Entering this one hitless in 10-at bats this spring, Alomar committed two errors during Toronto's three-run first inning and struck out in the bottom half before speaking to manager Lou Piniella, who removed him from the game.

Claiming he was having problems seeing the ball, Alomar talked to general manager Chuck LaMar during the third inning and left the ballpark shortly thereafter. LaMar indicated the 37-year-old Puerto Rican would be returning home to re-evaluate his situation with the team.

Displanted third baseman Eric Hinske, who will try his hand at first this season, went 3-for-4 with an RBI and Frank Catalanotto added three hits and scored a run for the Blue Jays.

Toronto starter Pete Walker tossed three scoreless innings, allowing one hit and one walk with four strikeouts.

Seth McClung started and took the loss for Tampa Bay, yielding four runs - two earned - and six hits in 2 2/3 frames.

Former Blue Jay Josh Phelps went 2-for-2 with a run scored for the Devil Rays.

http://www.tsn.ca/mlb/news_story.asp?id=118881

No doubt Alomar is a first ballot inductee into the Hall of Fame. He's the best second baseman in my lifetime (even ahead of Joe Morgan). It's a shame he didn't make it to 3000 hits, but he's had a great career, and second basemen like that come along once in a lifetime. He's a shoo-in. The spitting incident happened so long ago. Induction to the Hall is not to be mistaken for sainthood.

Here's the list of all second basemen in the HOF (thank you baseball-almanac.com), along with their induction year, method (veterans or BBWAA), and percentage of total votes cast. Alomar definitely belongs with these guys.

Rod Carew

1991 BBWAA

443 401 90.52%

Eddie Collins

1939 BBWAA

274 213 77.74%

Bobby Doerr

1986 Veterans

Johnny Evers

1946 Veterans

Nellie Fox

1997 Veterans

Frankie Frisch

1947 BBWAA

161 136 84.47%

Charlie Gehringer

1949 BBWAA

187 159 85.03%

Billy Herman

1975 Veterans

Rogers Hornsby

1942 BBWAA

233 182 78.11%

Nap Lajoie

1937 BBWAA

201 168 83.58%

Tony Lazzeri

1991 Veterans

Bill Mazeroski

2001 Veterans

Bid McPhee

2000 Veterans

Joe Morgan

1990 BBWAA

444 363 81.76%

Jackie Robinson

1962 BBWAA

160 124 77.50%

Ryne Sandberg

BBWAA

76.16%

Red Schoendienst

1989 Veterans

QUOTE (anagramking @ Mar 19 2005, 12:21 PM)
No doubt Alomar is a first ballot inductee into the Hall of Fame. He's the best second baseman in my lifetime (even ahead of Joe Morgan). It's a shame he didn't make it to 3000 hits, but he's had a great career, and second basemen like that come along once in a lifetime. He's a shoo-in. The spitting incident happened so long ago. Induction to the Hall is not to be mistaken for sainthood.

I know I remember him for what he done in TO... we wouldn't have one all those championships without him.

It's a done deal....Robbie retired officially today...

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=2017030

I agree he should make it to the Hall despite the spitting incident. It was a one time unregrettable moment which I'm sure Robbie had wished never happened. His numbers speak for themselves though I hope the fact he played for way too many different teams doesn't reflect too much on his impressive career. Almost 3000 hits and 2 World Series championships and his great great defensive play should be enough to get him in.

Archived