The Monkees

Xanadoood

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Oct 23 2009, 04:24 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Oct 23 2009, 06:23 PM)
You guys are too much.

Here is some Monkees trivia for you.

True or False:  The Monkees wrote the song "I'm A Believer."

False

Neil Diamond wrote it.

BINGO!!!

Good job Rick!!

1022.gif

laugh.gif Definitely NOT Prog!

That said, they released some stuff that's of better quality than you'd think. Nesmith and Tork were actually pretty serious about music, and were soon embarrassed that they'd had a hand in creating this Pop Machine. It was Jones and Dolenz who were selected only because they were pretty boys with good pipes, neither of whom had any qualms about making Bubble Gum music.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Oct 24 2009, 09:33 AM)
laugh.gif Definitely NOT Prog!

That said, they released some stuff that's of better quality than you'd think. Nesmith and Tork were actually pretty serious about music, and were soon embarrassed that they'd had a hand in creating this Pop Machine. It was Jones and Dolenz who were selected only because they were pretty boys with good pipes, neither of whom had any qualms about making Bubble Gum music.

My buddy is a big Monkees supporter and has been defending them for years. They wrote some good tunes and as you said, Nesmith and Tork were talented guys. Nesmith was one of the pioneers of music video.

The Monkeys were good, but not as good as Zebra, and certainly not The Animals. The Turtles would have to be my favorite. White Snake was pretty good, while White Lion were a bunch of posers. Skinny Puppy was too industrial. The Black Crowes grate on my nerves. Ratt had a few good tunes. I love Fish ! A Flock Of Seagulls had that one catchy song. Josie And The Pussycats were hotties ! A lot of people don't remember Animal Logic, but it had Stanley Clarke and Stuart Copeland. Temple Of The Dog was a great grunge hybrid. Three Dog Night had that Bullfrog song. That was pretty good. Now if we talk bugs, The Beatles are king !

*complete nonsense post*

When I was about 2 I used to love watching the tv show re-runs. I'm pretty sure there are some audio recordings of me singing "Hey hey Monkee... body down.." around here somewhere... laugh.gif

Last weekend I went out with my friends.. hammered outta our minds and we sang I'm a Believer by the monkees at kareokee. blush4.gif Got a rousing applause at least.. biggrin.gif

I've actually seen the Monkees (Jones, Dolenz, and Tork... no Nesmith) in concert. wacko.gif Herman's Hermits were the opening act. This was in '86 on a "reunion" (nostalgia) tour, after MTV began airing old episodes of the TV show.

Listen to a song like "Love is Only Sleeping" or "Randy Scouse Git" or "Daily Nightly" and you can hear progressive tendencies. Ultimately the Monkees were a real life Pinocchio story; a tv show cast that became a real band. Nesmith had written hits before joining the cast. Stephen Stills went to an audition and was close but had crooked teeth and a receding hair line. When asked if he knew of a musician who looked like him he recommended Peter Tork. Davey Jones was in the traveling cast of The Artful Dodger and Mickey was a child star as well. Mickey had a great voice.

They were a pop act that became more psychedelic as they took over control of the music. Some of the best Monkees songs are Nesmith tunes. They were more than what the surface shows for sure.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Oct 26 2009, 04:10 PM)
I've actually seen the Monkees (Jones, Dolenz, and Tork... no Nesmith) in concert. wacko.gif Herman's Hermits were the opening act. This was in '86 on a "reunion" (nostalgia) tour, after MTV began airing old episodes of the TV show.

Me, too. I took a girlfriend there to the concert at the Puyallup Fair. Fun.

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Oct 26 2009, 04:10 PM)

I saw that tour, except Weird Al was the opening act.

Archived