PW Lifeson Gear ebay Alert - 45 mins!

jdouglas

an old school 80s Ibanez HD 1500 delay harmonizer for $57

Looks like big Al actually used the HD-1000 on the power windows album (not sure when, etc..)

Anywho, I'm happy with my G Major so I'm not interested (reviews are somewhat mixed on this thing), but I would like someone to buy it and tell me how it sounds.... tongue.gif

Good luck if you are interested...no, i'm not the seller, etc

EBAY

I had an old Ibanez rack delay. Just did delay and flanging. Loved it until it stopped working. Had a Hold function that let you play a note, hit the Hold switch, and the note would keep going while you kept playing something else. Very handy for the end of the "Limelight" solo.

Just found the quote of what song he used it on...hmm, coulda been a one shot dealo....

>What causes the Far Eastern tone in the opening of "Territories"?

That's just the Ibanez HD-1000 Harmonics/Delay set at an octave above with

a little bit of modulation. The harmonics level is set at about 70%, the

direct is set at the full 100%, and I was on the middle pickup on the black

Strat. I used left-hand finger-pulls. After that, it switches to a much

crisper tone, and to do that in concert, I just switch to the back pickup.

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Oct 12 2009, 09:16 PM)
Just found the quote of what song he used it on...hmm, coulda been a one shot dealo....

>What causes the Far Eastern tone in the opening of "Territories"?

That's just the Ibanez HD-1000 Harmonics/Delay set at an octave above with
a little bit of modulation.  The harmonics level is set at about 70%, the
direct is set at the full 100%, and I was on the middle pickup on the black
Strat.  I used left-hand finger-pulls.  After that, it switches to a much
crisper tone, and to do that in concert, I just switch to the back pickup.

He said "the" Ibanez HD-1000, which makes it sound like it was his main harmonizer at that time, but who knows.

I think his next harmonizer after that was the Digitech DHP-33. I remember reading that he and David Gilmour used to use that one. I managed to score one a few years back.

It's the second unit down, below the rack power strip:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/Guitars/rig-5.jpg

I think I recognize every thing except the blue pedal.... confused13.gif

That's the first cry baby rack I've seen too....

I like the rack / pedal-board combo, that is nice for home / studio.....I would be too tempted to lose the stomps so everything could be triggered via the ground control...but I totally understand if some are irreplaceable.

yes.gif

Edited by jdouglas

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Oct 13 2009, 11:53 PM)
I think I recognize every thing except the blue pedal.... confused13.gif

That's the first cry baby rack I've seen too....

I like the rack / pedal-board combo, that is nice for home / studio.....I would be too tempted to lose the stomps so everything could be triggered via the ground control...but I totally understand if some are irreplaceable. 
yes.gif

That's not a pedalboard. Those pedals are part of the rack. They're sitting on a pullout rack shelf and they don't get stomped. Each pedal has its own loop in the GCX switcher, and each loop, along with the rack units and all amplifier functions, are controlled by the Ground Control. The pedals are out of the signal path until their loops are engaged. I can have any combination of pedals, presets on the G-Major and DHP-33, key changes on the DHP, and any amp channel and channel boost programmed into a MIDI preset.

The blue pedal is a Jacques Meistersinger analog chorus. It's like a quieter, more transparent (tone-wise), more versatile version of the Boss CE-1.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v318/1001001/Guitars/rig-6.jpg

I get it...like a carl martin combinator thing. sweet.

I passed Midi 101 with a D-. wacko.gif

I have a FCB1010 to control the G Major in the Loop, but I just do the basics (preset switching, solo boost, mix control).

Is your G Major set to "Pro" or "Consumer"? I bought mine for very cheap on ebay and it had some issues, but I got it to work pretty ok on Consumer with default patches set at -4DB (0DB boosted). confused13.gif

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Oct 17 2009, 01:41 AM)
I get it...like a carl martin combinator thing. sweet.

I passed Midi 101 with a D-. wacko.gif

I have a FCB1010 to control the G Major in the Loop, but I just do the basics (preset switching, solo boost, mix control).

Is your G Major set to "Pro" or "Consumer"? I bought mine for very cheap on ebay and it had some issues, but I got it to work pretty ok on Consumer with default patches set at -4DB (0DB boosted). confused13.gif

I have mine set to Pro. It works fine in the loops of my newer amps along with the pedals and the Digitech unit. How good the effects loop is plays a big part in that.

Also remember that the G-Major is unlike most other effects units -- rack or pedals -- in that it needs a preamp in front of it AND a solid low-impedance signal to drive it. My older Marshall has an effects loop, but it's a high-impedance loop...so even though the G-Major has a preamp in front of it, the high-impedance signal can't drive it.

Up until a few months ago I was a MIDI rookie too. Everyone told me it was ridiculously easy, but I didn't get it until I understood how all the devices communicated with each other. Basically, each unit needs to be set to its own MIDI channel, and once they're all set, everything happens FROM the MIDI controller. It's the controller's instructions going out to each of your effects and switching units, and that's it. It IS ridiculously easy once you understand the relationship between the devices.

Yeah, once I realized that 99% of the Midi programming was in the device and the controller just sends a CC#..I had an "AHA" moment....but only enough to get things up and running.

I have it in a parallel loop of a Marshall DSL401 (the club and country is in the shop)....the dsl is not that strong an amp/loop. I'll have to try it back on the pro setting and see what the difference is....

You ever try a BBE Sonic enhancer in your rack...I like the youtube clips on those (at least with the DSL401).

biggrin.gif

QUOTE (jdouglas @ Oct 20 2009, 12:36 AM)
Yeah, once I realized that 99% of the Midi programming was in the device and the controller just sends a CC#..I had an "AHA" moment....but only enough to get things up and running.

I have it in a parallel loop of a Marshall DSL401 (the club and country is in the shop)....the dsl is not that strong an amp/loop.  I'll have to try it back on the pro setting and see what the difference is....

You ever try a BBE Sonic enhancer in your rack...I like the youtube clips on those (at least with the DSL401).

biggrin.gif

I tend to stay away from things like expanders and sonic maximizers and such. Everything in my rack is there for when I need an effect, and to keep the effects out of the signal path when I don't need them. None of those devices are there to affect my normal tone -- I want all the tone to come from the guitar and the amp.

The Dyna Comp compressor is rarely used, and only during certain clean parts to make them jump out a little more.

no.gif So, un-Lifeson-like. dazed025.gif

Just kidding of course...I'm pretty much heading the same way (hence my need for lil-midi knowledge and less gear).

I have the G-Major on one preset 80% of the time, and that's just a 10%-15% reverb mix + 10%-15% detune or chorus. I have a BK Bulter OD for clean boost and a Tubescreamer for dirty booast upfront (and soon to put the crybaby back in). The rest is pickup selection, volume control, and channel switching.

I could honestly ditch the G-Major for just a Boss CE2, Roland DimensionD, or a Digitech Hardwire Chorus...but I do love the reverb in the unit.

I just see a sonic enhancer as a EQ pedal that is biased toward the good guitar freqs. I'm not against having that or an EQ in the loop as basically a high end cut. Thinking about it (all my amp are pretty bright plus I play only strats...)

Edited by jdouglas