Windows 7

barney_rebel

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It's always best to go with the full installation with Windows. Lets say you upgrade from Vista to Seven....then a couple years later you get a terrible virus and have to format your hard drive. Wouldn't you like to just format the drive then install Seven? Rather than going through the Vista install then the upgrade?

I hate Vista and would like to replace it with Windows 7 but I am not computer saavy and I would like to keep bookmarks, addresses and some programs but I'm afraid I will screw everything up! comp26.gif

QUOTE (nobodys hero @ Oct 23 2009, 01:00 PM)

I hate Vista and would like to replace it with Windows 7 but I am not computer saavy and I would like to keep bookmarks, addresses and some programs but I'm afraid I will screw everything up! comp26.gif

I upgraded from XP to Vista, no issues at all.

I'll do from Vista to Windows 7 soon.

you can download a Windows 7 compatibility test from the MS site before upgrading.

QUOTE (JimboGames @ Oct 22 2009, 03:55 PM)
Just for fun; open a command prompt and type in VER and press enter.

What version does it return?  rofl3.gif

Mine says version 6.1.7600, the same (retail) version I've been running for a few weeks now. tongue.gif

QUOTE (Natural Rush @ Oct 23 2009, 02:04 PM)
W7 Ultimate 64bit runs like a dream and a joy to use wub.gif

First post as a Win7 user and I'm liking it as well.

Install went silky smooth and its been great to use.

So far, I am very impressed. No compatibility issues at all. Everything worked without any tweaking at all.

653.gif

M$ knew they had to get this one right , no matter where you were from , they knew you were not gonna take the BS that they gave you with vista ,

its been a long time coming but W7 does deliver

QUOTE (Natural Rush @ Oct 23 2009, 07:52 PM)
M$ knew they had to get this one right , no matter where you were from , they knew you were not gonna take the BS that they gave you with vista ,

its been a long time coming but W7 does deliver

Exactly. They knew that people would be so pissed if they did the same thing like Vista. I never had Vista, I used XP and skipped over Vista but the things I heard about it when it first came out were bad enough. Seems to be ok now with all the patches but the '7' is gonna take over from here on out.

Love how it just finds the right drivers for whatever you have and installs them automatically. I have an old ATI HDTV card from back in 2004 and didn't think it would even work after XP but 7 found the drivers for it somehow and boom, it works good as new. The Media Center is nice, records live TV like a DVR does.

Clean install over rarely used Vista machine.

No problems, errors, bomb-outs or compatibility issues. Moreover, no need to upgrade hardware with bigger drivers, CPUs or RAM unless really necessary.

All my games & apps work fine, no driver issues to speak of.

Finally MS have got their shit together and produced an os worthy of praise & user friendliness. Early days yet of course, but so far so good smile.gif

I have Vista and have a coupla questions:

1. Is there a cost to upgrade to Windows 7?

2. Wouldn't it be better to wait a little while? Isn't it usually the case when they first put out a new version of Windows that there are bugs and it's better to wait for the patches/upgrades so they work the bugs out?

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 24 2009, 10:09 AM)

2. Wouldn't it be better to wait a little while? Isn't it usually the case when they first put out a new version of Windows that there are bugs and it's better to wait for the patches/upgrades so they work the bugs out?

Are there even any bugs with Seven yet? confused13.gif

Back in June, MS ran a special where you could pre-order 7 for 50 bucks and I snagged it.

Now, the upgrade costs $120. But, they also have a "Family Pack" that is good for 3 computers for $150.

As far as bugginess, I suppose you can say that about almost any OS when it is first released. But I am loving 7 and haven't had a single problem so far (yeah, I know its only been 2 days).

If Vista isn't bugging you, then hold off and wait and maybe the price may come down. But I'm a very happy Win7 user right now and glad I spent the $$$ back in June.

QUOTE (Snowdog @ Oct 24 2009, 10:51 AM)

2. Wouldn't it be better to wait a little while?  Isn't it usually the case when they first put out a new version of Windows that there are bugs and it's better to wait for the patches/upgrades so they work the bugs out?

Back in June, MS ran a special where you could pre-order 7 for 50 bucks and I snagged it.

Now, the upgrade costs $120. But, they also have a "Family Pack" that is good for 3 computers for $150.

As far as bugginess, I suppose you can say that about almost any OS when it is first released. But I am loving 7 and haven't had a single problem so far (yeah, I know its only been 2 days).

If Vista isn't bugging you, then hold off and wait and maybe the price may come down. But I'm a very happy Win7 user right now and glad I spent the $$$ back in June.

I'll wait. $120 seems awfully steep, and honestly Vista seems fine to me...

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 24 2009, 03:09 PM)

It depends if you're really keen to go the upgrade path straight away!

If you're happy with Vista, then stick with it until you feel the need to upgrade, rather than upgrade because W7 is the new kid on the block and everyone else is upgrading because of it.

As for Service Packs and Fix Packs: no os will be totally bug-free even after an SP or FP has been installed. Look at XP, its been around 8 or 9 years and they're still chucking out the odd SP here and there.

Here's a question for you techies: If I upgrade to Windows 7 will it wipe out everything from programs already installed, to e-mail addresses, bookmarks, favorites things like that? How about all the boots I haven't burned that are on my driver as documents, it will wipe them out won't it?

If you just upgrade from within Windows, meaning, if you boot Vista up to your desktop, and then put in your 7 disk, you won't lose anything. After you boot up into Vista, when you insert the 7 disk, it will ask you if you want to do an 'upgrade', or an 'install'. You want the 'upgrade' option, so, it will keep all your files intact. smile.gif

Even if you have old files on that hard drive, like I did with XP, 7 will still create a 'Windows.old' folder on that drive. I did a fresh install, and I just happened to leave old XP files on the same drive, just so I could access them if I wanted to after installing 7. You don't have to worry about that though because you are doing an 'upgrade' from Vista, not a fresh 'install'.

So, go forth ye brave young Vista woman, and venture into the '7'th dimension!

Edited by SiriusRushFan

QUOTE (SiriusRushFan @ Oct 24 2009, 02:34 PM)
If you just upgrade from within Windows, meaning, if you boot Vista up to your desktop, and then put in your 7 disk, you won't lose anything. After you boot up into Vista, when you insert the 7 disk, it will ask you if you want to do an 'upgrade', or an 'install'. You want the 'upgrade' option, so, it will keep all your files intact. smile.gif

Even if you have old files on that hard drive, like I did with XP, 7 will still create a 'Windows.old' folder on that drive. I did a fresh install, and I just happened to leave old XP files on the same drive, just so I could access them if I wanted to after installing 7. You don't have to worry about that though because you are doing an 'upgrade' from Vista, not a fresh 'install'.

So, go forth ye brave young Vista woman, and venture into the '7'th dimension!

Thanks Sirius! You answered all my questions! Rush on!

QUOTE (rushgoober @ Oct 24 2009, 02:14 PM)
QUOTE (Snowdog @ Oct 24 2009, 10:51 AM)

2. Wouldn't it be better to wait a little while?  Isn't it usually the case when they first put out a new version of Windows that there are bugs and it's better to wait for the patches/upgrades so they work the bugs out?

I'll wait. $120 seems awfully steep, and honestly Vista seems fine to me...

Goob, here is an article from pcworld.com talking about just what you are saying. People wondering if they should just wait until the first Service Pack comes out for 7. Thought of your question when I saw it, so thought I'd post it here for you and any others who may be on the fence.

I am in no hurry whatsoever to upgrade, though I am planning on buying a new system piece by piece, and I will prolly buy Win7 for that. After seeing that XP's shelf life is still good for the next four years plus, there is no big rush whatsoever to upgrade.