Cubs' ace Prior out indefinitely

barney_rebel

Cubs' ace Prior out indefinitely

Sports Ticker

3/14/2005

MESA, Arizona (Ticker) - Mark Prior will join Kerry Wood on the sideline.

Prior, the star righthander of the Chicago Cubs, will be out indefinitely with inflammation in his pitching elbow.

Prior underwent an MRI on his elbow Sunday after experiencing discomfort following his first Cactus League start Thursday. He also was examined by orthopedic surgeon Dr. Lewis Yocum.

It is the latest injury for Prior, who missed the first two months of last season because of right Achilles tendinitis and stiffness in his right elbow. He also missed a start in July with discomfort in his elbow.

"Obviously, we're talking about an elbow and matter of inches," Prior said. "It's a completely different area and not even the same thing (as last year). It's a different part of the body. It's not the same thing."

Cubs general manager Jim Hendry said Monday the MRI showed there is no damage to the ligament or the ulnar nerve in Prior's elbow.

Wood, slated to start for the Cubs on Opening Day, is sidelined with bursitis in his right shoulder.

Prior, 24, one of baseball's best young pitchers, went just 6-4 with a 4.02 ERA in 21 starts last season. He was 18-6 with a 2.43 ERA in 2003, helping the Cubs come within a win of their first World Series appearance since 1945.

QUOTE (barney_rebel @ Mar 15 2005, 10:07 PM)
Last season I played you can keep injured players on your team and expand your bench. I'm not sure if that's a universal rule or what.

If the rules haven't changed, as soon as he is on the official DL you can put him on your DL which then opens up a slot in your team.

When he is re-activated from the DL, you can leave him there, but if you move him back you must vacate a slot for him.

Prior was bid up to the moon in the auction draft in my other league. He went for $28. I had him valued in the $15-$20 range. This being Chicago, he wasn't going to be cheap. I think I dropped out of the bidding around $15 or so. I guess they were expecting the Prior of 2003. (Cubbie Kool-Aid can do that sometimes. laugh.gif )He's definitely a big risk-reward proposition. No telling what this means, though. He could be fine in a few days, or he could be out for a long time. Look for Zambrano to be the horse that carries the load for the Cubs' pitching staff this year, unless Dusty wears him out as well, due to the lack of a quality bullpen.

I definitely wouldn't drop him yet. You know how pitchers are, I've seen some that were hurt all spring training then when the season started they had the best years of their careers. That might not happen here but he's worth a spot on the DL until you hear more about it.

Everytime I hear of a arm injury with a pitcher I remember back as a kid....... doh.gif ....Not a good memory. no.gif

QUOTE (Indica @ Mar 15 2005, 11:27 PM)
I definitely wouldn't drop him yet. You know how pitchers are, I've seen some that were hurt all spring training then when the season started they had the best years of their careers. That might not happen here but he's worth a spot on the DL until you hear more about it.

Everytime I hear of a arm injury with a pitcher I remember back as a kid....... doh.gif ....Not a good memory. no.gif

I think I threw wrong as a kid, also. I threw sidearm all the time but never listened. My shoulder hurts sometimes after throwing, still. Not major pain but kinda sore.

QUOTE (anagramking @ Mar 16 2005, 12:07 AM)

Everytime I hear of a arm injury with a pitcher I remember back as a kid....... doh.gif ....Not a good memory.  no.gif

I think I threw wrong as a kid, also. I threw sidearm all the time but never listened. My shoulder hurts sometimes after throwing, still. Not major pain but kinda sore.

I read an article once about how pitching is the worst position to play in any sport as a kid because it's so bad on the arm. Kids are always trying to throw faster and faster which puts a lot of strain on the arm and everywhere around it. This hasn't stopped me, however. wink.gif tongue.gif

QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Mar 28 2005, 03:27 AM)

Everytime I hear of a arm injury with a pitcher I remember back as a kid....... doh.gif ....Not a good memory.  no.gif

I read an article once about how pitching is the worst position to play in any sport as a kid because it's so bad on the arm. Kids are always trying to throw faster and faster which puts a lot of strain on the arm and everywhere around it. This hasn't stopped me, however. wink.gif tongue.gif

When I was coaching, we wouldn't let the kids throw curve balls. Only fast balls and change ups. It's the whip in curves and sliders that can damage their elbows in particular. Their bones are too supple and could get over worn before they have formed completely. Once they reach 14 they can begin to think about it.

They had something on 'Real Sports' (On HBO) about this very topic. They had 2 kids on there who had already had elbow surgery and they weren't even 13 years old.

Everything has to be SO cut throat these days, even for 11/12 year olds. Its stupid.

QUOTE (Chasartymac @ Mar 29 2005, 05:27 PM)
QUOTE (NeilPeartFan2112 @ Mar 28 2005, 03:27 AM)

When I was coaching, we wouldn't let the kids throw curve balls. Only fast balls and change ups. It's the whip in curves and sliders that can damage their elbows in particular. Their bones are too supple and could get over worn before they have formed completely. Once they reach 14 they can begin to think about it.

I remember when I was in Little League, you had to be over 13 to start throwing the curve. Besides, if you can't throw the ball over 60 mph, there won't be much curve on a pitch anyway. Just throwing sidearm can do damage. I'd swear that's why my shoulder hurts after throwing sometimes, as I said before. The slider and screwball are pitches that can damage arms at any age.

Well, Prior came back yesterday, and pitched six scoreless innings. I got to show up at Wrigley for part of it. It was bitter cold because of the wind coming off the lake. I wanted to see the crowd send off Prior and see the 7th inning stretch. Mark Loretta had a nice at bat against Prior in the 6th. He worked the count and made it a long at bat before drawing a walk. That raised Prior's pitch count and got him out after he finished the inning. That's a good piece of veteran hitting there. The idea is to get the starter's pitch count up and get to the horrendous Cub bullpen as soon as possible. The Padres were able to get three runs, but not enough.

It was worth the wait, if he still pitches like this he's going to get someone some fantasy points for sure.

Archived