Another Cheesy Band That I Love: Night Ranger

RUSHHEAD666

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Aug 31 2009, 12:18 AM)
Right on you guys!

That's very cool Fields.
You just picked up some NR on vinyl without even hearing them yet.
I'm curious, which albums did you get?

As for "Sister Christian" who an forget that song in "Boogie Nights."

Classic.

Signed,

John Holmes

In a movie with so many great scenes, that "Sister Christian" scene stands out. A classic.

QUOTE (1-0-0-1-0-0-1 @ Aug 31 2009, 07:52 PM)
Right on you guys!

That's very cool Fields.

Classic.

Signed,

John Holmes

In a movie with so many great scenes, that "Sister Christian" scene stands out. A classic.

No doubt!

Cheers to "Rollergirl" wherever you are! cheer.gif

I loved Burt Reynolds in that movie too!

Love,

"Hooper" wink.gif

PS: "Hole In The Sun" is an excellent record. If you really dig modern Night Ranger then check out "NEVERLAND" and "SEVEN."

Holy Toledo you guys!

I just found out on my other Addicting Forum, MENIKETTI.COM that Night Ranger is playing this Saturday at 4:30pm in Sausalito.

Timing is everything and I can't wait!

Even though Jeff Watson is no longer in the band!

Hopefully I can find Brad Gillis before the show and get the wife and kids backstage!

Actually Wendy can get the girls and I backstage. LOL!

Cheers!

1022.gif trink39.gif 1022.gif

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Aug 31 2009, 06:32 PM)
I just saw them last fall at a show they did for Lowry Park Zoo here in town. Jack Blades, Brad Gillis, and Kelly Keagy are the original members still touring. They have a replacement keyboard player and a second guitarist that looks like a crazier, younger Ted Nugent. They did a nice show including some Damn Yankees and a couple of medley-type covers they did just to screw around. Jack sounds great while Kelly (does the vocals on Sister Christian as well as others) doesn't sound great live. Me and a buddy enjoyed it while his twenty-something wife got a bit bored... I also saw them back in circa 84 right when Dawn Patrol was getting released and the only reason ayone knew them was because Brad had just finished the tour with Ozzy.

Wow A.W.!

That's incredible!

Did you live out here in California back in 1983?

They came straight out of Sacramento back then.

They won a Battle Of The Bands and got the MCA Record Contract.

Their first band name was simply "Ranger."

NIGHT RANGER is much better.

I have strange connection with Bay Area Eighties Rock Bands.

I am friends with John Nymann who used to be in 415 and the Eric Martin Band.

"Sucker For A Pretty Face" was a big album back then.

They were even on American Bandstand with Dick Clark.

Anyway as most of you know I love the band Y&T too.

Nymann is now in Y&T playing rhythm guitar, replacing Stef Burns and of course Joey Alves.

You know my connection with Night Ranger but I have two more.

I am sure you all know of TESLA.

Yet another Sacramento band.

Well my good friend Jeff Harper who works with me now in my businesses used to be the lead singer in band called CITY KIDD.

Well he quit the band and City Kidd hired Jeff Keith.

Yep, the band evolved into TESLA.

Just for the record Frank Hannon is one badass guitar player.

Speaking of Stef Burns, he is also "in the family."

He was in Y&T for a while and then split to be with Huey Lewis And The News.

Yet another great guitar player. His father remarried my brother in law's mother.

I am a Rock 'N Roll Whore and it's not even on my side of the family!!!!

ROCK ON RUSH FORUM!

Cheers to Bay Area ROCK 'N ROLL!

trink39.gif

Earl

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Aug 31 2009, 05:33 PM)
Greatest Hits cds are for soccer moms

No.......Greatest hits CDs are for those who don't have a seemingly endless supply of money in their budget for music purchases, and as a result are very choosey and keenly aware of avoiding albums that rate high on the potential suckability scale.

It is into this second category that I fall, and I have made my purchases by a long-standing rule (ONLY Rush is an exception to this rule).....there must be at least 2 songs off of an album that I have heard and that I like before I will buy it. Off of Dawn Patrol, there was only one. Off of Midnight Madness, there was only one. Off of NightRanger's Greatest Hits, there were two, and so....ding, ding, ding!....we have a winner!

Turns out that album was OK, and I still have it, though it doesn't get a lot of play from me these days.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 1 2009, 02:05 AM)
I just saw them last fall at a show they did for Lowry Park Zoo here in town.  Jack Blades, Brad Gillis, and Kelly Keagy are the original members still touring.  They have a replacement keyboard player and a second guitarist that looks like a crazier, younger Ted Nugent.  They did a nice show including some Damn Yankees and a couple of medley-type covers they did just to screw around.  Jack sounds great while Kelly (does the vocals on Sister Christian as well as others) doesn't sound great live.  Me and a buddy enjoyed it while his twenty-something wife got a bit bored...  I also saw them back in circa 84 right when Dawn Patrol was getting released and the only reason ayone knew them was because Brad had just finished the tour with Ozzy.

Wow A.W.!

That's incredible!

Nymann is now in Y&T playing rhythm guitar, replacing Stef Burns and of course Joey Alves.

Well my good friend Jeff Harper who works with me now in my businesses used to be the lead singer in band called CITY KIDD.

Yet another great guitar player. His father remarried my brother in law's mother.

ROCK ON RUSH FORUM!

trink39.gif

Earl

I was right here in tampa. they capitalized on the gillis tour with ozzy and got a small tour going and then the album really hit a few months later. The Bay Area has a great music tradition going way back. I visited back in '85 and saw a show at the Kabuki theater. Exodus and a couple of other bands of that ilk that names are escaping me at the moment. What a huge, violent mosh pit.

QUOTE (Ancient Ways @ Sep 3 2009, 05:21 AM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 1 2009, 02:05 AM)
I just saw them last fall at a show they did for Lowry Park Zoo here in town.  Jack Blades, Brad Gillis, and Kelly Keagy are the original members still touring.  They have a replacement keyboard player and a second guitarist that looks like a crazier, younger Ted Nugent.  They did a nice show including some Damn Yankees and a couple of medley-type covers they did just to screw around.  Jack sounds great while Kelly (does the vocals on Sister Christian as well as others) doesn't sound great live.  Me and a buddy enjoyed it while his twenty-something wife got a bit bored...  I also saw them back in circa 84 right when Dawn Patrol was getting released and the only reason ayone knew them was because Brad had just finished the tour with Ozzy.

Wow A.W.!

That's incredible!

ROCK ON RUSH FORUM!

trink39.gif

Earl

I was right here in tampa. they capitalized on the gillis tour with ozzy and got a small tour going and then the album really hit a few months later. The Bay Area has a great music tradition going way back. I visited back in '85 and saw a show at the Kabuki theater. Exodus and a couple of other bands of that ilk that names are escaping me at the moment. What a huge, violent mosh pit.

Wow!

That does go way back!

You saw Exodus at the Kabuki?

I thought that was just a movie theater!

The Fillmore is right across the street.

Luckily that place is still around, as I go there as many times as I can.

Foreinger is playing at the Fillmore in October. Might have to check them out one last time.

That makes good marketing sense to use the Gillis name thanks to his short employment with OZZY to sell tickets.

Did you actually go to that Night Ranger show?

"Dawn Patrol" never gets old.

I was listening to it again last night.

I am taking the wife and kids to see Night Ranger this Saturday at some Art Festival in Sausalito.

Anyway to drift off topic, speaking about a "violent mosh pit" I was listening to that Stormtroopers Of Death cd "SPEAK ENGLISH OR DIE" and I just couldn't get into it.

Do you still like S.O.D. and EXODUS or have you moved on?

I'm moving on............

Am I the only girl in this thread? I loved Night Ranger! For a while there Dawn Patrol was one of my favorite albums (the other being Ghost in the Machine by the Police). I loved the song 'Sing Me Away' on that album. I had Midnight Madness too. Bought it for the song 'When You Close Your Eyes.' I had SUCH a crush on Jack Blades.

I saw them in concert back in 1984. It was actually a pretty good show.

• Like 1

QUOTE (Janie @ Sep 3 2009, 04:49 PM)
Am I the only girl in this thread? I loved Night Ranger! For a while there Dawn Patrol was one of my favorite albums (the other being Ghost in the Machine by the Police). I loved the song 'Sing Me Away' on that album. I had Midnight Madness too. Bought it for the song 'When You Close Your Eyes.' I had SUCH a crush on Jack Blades.

I saw them in concert back in 1984. It was actually a pretty good show.

HAHA!!

Hey Janie!

I thought the same thing!

When I saw that you posted on the Night Ranger thread I thought to myself "Wow! A girl posted on my NR thread!!

There is hope yet!

I know a bunch of women who love Night Ranger!

Going to be meeting a few of them on Saturday with the family!

Cheers to you Janie!

trink39.gif

Even girls can "STILL ROCK IN AMERICA!" 1022.gif

I dunno what the name of the song is, But it went something like..

"You can still rock in America, Rock in America!!" 1022.gif

(Perhaps, Rock in America?) lol

Kinda catchy cheesy, Think that was Night Ranger use to have video on MTV all the time. unsure.gif

My wife wanted a soccer mom's greatest hits cd from Night Ranger. Bought what she thought was one at Best Buy. Didn't notice the fine print it was a live import disc from Japan. Hated it she doesn't like live recordings. laugh.gif

Edited by softfilter

QUOTE (softfilter @ Sep 3 2009, 07:15 PM)
"You can still rock in America, Rock in America!!" 1022.gif
Kinda catchy cheesy, Think that was Night Ranger use to have video on MTV all the time. unsure.gif
My wife wanted a soccer mom's greatest hits cd from Night Ranger. Bought what she thought was one at Best Buy. Didn't notice the fine print it was a live import disc from Japan. Hated it she doesn't like live recordings. laugh.gif

Yes!

See my quote above!

It is a great rock song.

"(You Can) Still Rock In America" is the song!

I love it!!

Earl

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Sep 3 2009, 11:51 PM)
QUOTE (softfilter @ Sep 3 2009, 07:15 PM)
        "You can still rock in America,  Rock in America!!" 1022.gif
My wife wanted a soccer mom's greatest hits cd from Night Ranger. Bought what she thought was one at Best Buy. Didn't notice the fine print it was a live import disc from Japan. Hated it  she doesn't like live recordings. laugh.gif

Yes!

See my quote above!

It is a great rock song.

"(You Can) Still Rock In America" is the song!

I love it!!

Earl

doh.gif Should of bothered reading EVERYONE'S post! And right above mine to boot! bolt.gif

It's all good in the Rush Hood!

This thread is not dead yet kids!

Just got back from an incredible show in Sausalito.

I dragged the wife and kids to the Sausalito Art and Wine Festival today.

It was awesome and our little girls actually had a good time. Wendy hates Eighties rock, how did she fall in love with an asshole like me? LOL!

We hit the Marin Brewing Company first for lunch.

They have some great brews you guys.

On tap and bottled.

Stinson Beach Peach

Tiburon Blonde (that's my favorite because it's like drinking my wife)

Blueberry Ale

Raspberry Trail Ale

You beer drinkers on TRF would dig this place.

Great burgers too!

Anyway Night Ranger hit the stage at 4:35pm and played for about 95 minutes.

I got up to the front and snapped about 300 pictures of these old guys.

I think even most humans on this Rush Forum would have enjoyed this show.

Brad Gillis was on FIRE.

Their new guitarist Joel was tearing it up too.

Kelly on the drums was fantastic even on the vocals too.

Jack Blades was looking a bit old but still had that charisma on stage.

They even did a DAMN YANKEES song: "Coming Of Age."

Can you believe the great Ted Nugent was in that band too?

"ANYTHING FOR MONEY!" Oh, sorry that's a Y&T song.

Night Ranger is still classic AOR at it's best!

They actually played "Highway Star" by Deep Purple in between one of their songs.

It was awesome.

Say what you will about this band, but I think Brad Gillis is one of the greatest guitar players on the planet.

The dude just grips it and rips it.

Sort of like the great Zakk Wylde.

Brad and Joel did this incredible acoustic guitar thing together that would have blown your mind.

The instrumental song was called "L.A. No Name" hence there really was no title for it.

Timing is everything TRF!

Night Ranger is joining Journey for a couple of months on a North American tour.

I know I am the biggest loud mouth on here from the west coast but if you have a chance to see Night Ranger when they are over on the East Coast, go check them out and then leave before Journey hits the stage. LOL!!

That new lead singer in Journey SUXXX. JMO

Anyway I will fight the good fight for Night Ranger, they FUKKING ROCK!

These guys grew up in Mill Valley Ca which is minutes from Sausalito.

No wonder they said yes to the festival.

They have balls and class.

ROCK ON!

1022.gif

Right on you guys!

That's very cool Fields.

Classic.

Signed,

John Holmes

I don't know why but Sister Christian ws somehow perfect for that scene laugh.gif

Great movie

QUOTE (Test4VitalSigns @ Sep 5 2009, 11:19 PM)
Right on you guys!

That's very cool Fields.

Classic.

Signed,

John Holmes

I don't know why but Sister Christian ws somehow perfect for that scene laugh.gif

Great movie

Hey Rick!

I'm waiting for Boogie Nights on Blu-Ray.

I want to see Roller Girl in HD.

trink39.gif

Very good band, always liked them. I saw them last summer at a fest out my way for FREE (can't beat that price!) just before Joel Hoekstra left the band. My friend and I talked to Joel for a little bit after the show. Very cool, easy-going guy and from my neck of the woods which I found fascinating. Awesome guitar player too.

They were the opener for Sammy Hagar at the first concert I ever attended back in 1983. Now that was a great time to see them, young and extra energetic!

Don't Tell Me You Love Me - will always rock.

4 in the Morning is another favorite of mine.

Edited by Xanadu
  • Like 2

Night Ranger is wonderful. Everybody talks about the 3 big albums they did in the 80's but, to answer and early posters question, they have done stuff recently and some of it is very good.

A few years back they released and album titled something like "Born in California". I picked it up and was shocked how good it was. Saw them on tour supporting the album and they rocked live. They opened for Journey and it was a great concert - both bands were great.

At one point during their set Jack Blades stopped and goes "Ok, now we are going to do a few songs off the new album, Born in CA. Now you are all probably saying "Shit, we don't want to some new stuff, just play us the good old stuff". Well let me tell you, you may never think of rockers as artists but thats what we are - f'ing artists. And artists are always alive, growing and trying new things. And if an artist does not keep creating they will just go through the motions when playing the classics. Hell, they might as well be dead. So we need these new songs to keep us growing and 100% alive when playing the classics."

My mother is a painter and is, in her late 80's, always trying new things so I totally got what Jack was saying. Heck, she has said similar things to me - less the profanity. Much to my shock, and I give the crowd a lot of credit for this, I looked around and could see a lot of folks on the lawn listening and this all click with them.

You know what? Those new songs kicked but live - so did the old ones. And I could here a lot of folks in the crowd talking about the new Night Ranger stuff and Jack's little speech in the brake between Night Ranger and Journey.

• Like 2

I love their 80's stuff. Have they done anything since then?

flea markets, county fairs, birthday parties

I meant albums. :LOL:

• Like 1

I love Night Ranger! I saw them last year. It was great!

Super25!! You are SUPER!

Thanks for digging this thread up! Night Ranger is still a great band!! Their newer albums are rocking too!

Nothing touches "Dawn Patrol" though!

"Midnight Madness" is also great. Then they went poppy with "7 Wishes" but is ok!

"Interstate Love Affair" is good.

Cheers!

• Like 1