Another Cheesy Band That I Love: Night Ranger

RUSHHEAD666

I was talking to a buddy of mine this week about other good local Bay Area bands and Night Ranger came up.

Now I know they are a product of the Eighties but you must admit they did put out a few good records.

A bit to key"bored"y but still with the great Brad Gillis and Jeff Watson on guitars you really can't lose.

Jack Blades is no slouch either on the bass.

I'm listening to "Seven Wishes" right now.

Very commercial but very melodic too.

I think the song on this record called "Interstate Love Affair" was also in some movie soundtrack.

I can't remember.

"Dawn Patrol" and "Midnight Madness" are my two favorites.

On a personal note, my brother in law's sister had a baby with Brad Gillis so he's "in the family" so to speak.

I have talked to him several times.

Brad is a great, down to earth and fun guy.

He told me the story right to my face about how he got the job with OZZY when Randy passed away. R.I.P.

Strangely enough my other "buddy" Dave Meniketti from Y&T was actually asked to join OZZY by Sharon and Ozzy first. Ozzy got down on his knees when Sharon asked Dave to join.

Dave of course declined politely because of his own band.

Well anyway back to Brad Gillis, of course he took the job.

He is on the "Speak Of The Devil" album.

I am sure you all know that.

So Brad was telling me sort of what I already knew from some rock magazine, but hearing it from the "horse's mouth" was totally cool.

Brad really did lock himself in his room for a day to learn all of the riffs and solos of Randy Rhoads.

That's some serious hardcore guitar studying.

I know this is a Rush Forum but I'm hoping some of you cats like Night Ranger.

Sincerely,

"Sister Christian" 1022.gif

• Like 1

just picked up a couple Night Ranger albums on vinyl yesterday at a garage sale.......haven't listened to them.....actually haven't ever heard any Night Ranger besides that one hit (Sister Christian was it??). Anyways, I'll get them a spin at some point, thye were only 10 cents each, so what the hell......

Right on you guys!

That's very cool Fields.

You just picked up some NR on vinyl without even hearing them yet.

I'm curious, which albums did you get?

As for "Sister Christian" who an forget that song in "Boogie Nights."

Classic.

Signed,

John Holmes

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Aug 30 2009, 10:18 PM)
Right on you guys!

That's very cool Fields.

Classic.

Signed,

John Holmes

Big Life and Midnight Madness both pretty ratched up, gonna have to get some cleaner on these before spinning them........these ones any good??

QUOTE (WCFIELDS @ Aug 30 2009, 09:25 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Aug 30 2009, 10:18 PM)
Right on you guys!

That's very cool Fields.

Classic.

Signed,

John Holmes

Big Life and Midnight Madness both pretty ratched up, gonna have to get some cleaner on these before spinning them........these ones any good??

"Big Life" is very poppy so don't play that one first.

"Midnight Madness" is their second album and it's excellent!

Listen to that one!

If you dig then you MUST get their first album "Dawn Patrol."

I know you know the song "Don't Tell Me You Love Me."

Let me know what you think!

You might dig their third album "Seven Wishes."

Wow! I'm really glad I started this thread.

"Perfect Timing."

Signed,

MSG 1022.gif

Hmmm.... some good memories of Sister Christain on MTV... laugh.gif

Go ahead, laugh. I did like that album. Their first couple of albums were good. For a bunch of guys who were "real metalheads", we considered these good pop/rock bands.

Headbanger's Ball was a lot of fun back then when it started. what was it called before that? Heavy Metal Hour? I'm a little fuzzy on that one.

QUOTE (ozzy85 @ Aug 30 2009, 10:03 PM)
Hmmm.... some good memories of Sister Christain on MTV... laugh.gif

Go ahead, laugh. I did like that album. Their first couple of albums were good. For a bunch of guys who were "real metalheads", we considered these good pop/rock bands.

Headbanger's Ball was a lot of fun back then when it started. what was it called before that? Heavy Metal Hour? I'm a little fuzzy on that one.

Hey OZ!

How could I laugh at you?

I'd rather pat you on that back or give you a high five.

Hell I would probably buy you a beer.

Cheers!

trink39.gif

"Rumors In The Air"

Speaking of the HEADBANGER'S BALL man I miss those Daze.

I watched it all the time.

You know I wish that MTV would put all the Headbanger's Ball seasons on a DVD package.

I would buy that in a heartbeat.

Love Always,

Rickey Rachtman

1022.gif

No shiite, dude. Early MTV metal had some good moments. We thought we were real metal dudes with our Priest and Scorps and such... but there were some gems among the rubble in the '80's.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Aug 31 2009, 03:01 PM)
Brad really did lock himself in his room for a day to learn all of the riffs and solos of Randy Rhoads.

Sincerely,

"Sister Christian"  1022.gif

Ridiculously hardcore!! yes.gif

Sister Christain was used perfectly in Boogie Nights as well...which I've just seen you bet me to it laugh.gif trink39.gif

I've still got the first 5 albums on vinyl, good band, somewhat underrated and good bunch of musicians. I especially like Brad Gillis's guitar playing (Brad is the big tone/whammy bar merchant, Jeff Watson is the eight finger tapping king).

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 31 2009, 01:38 PM)
Why buy Dawn Patrol and Midnight Madness separately, when you can get the best of with their Greatest Hits, and that for one low price? yes.gif

Because WC got them for 10 cents each...

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 31 2009, 03:55 PM)
QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 31 2009, 01:38 PM)
Why buy Dawn Patrol and Midnight Madness separately, when you can get the best of with their Greatest Hits, and that for one low price? yes.gif

Because WC got them for 10 cents each...

Yep, that's a bargain! laugh.gif

QUOTE (JoenataArctica @ Aug 30 2009, 10:07 PM)
im actually going to see Night Ranger with Journey in September....and im psyched as hell

Cool!

I hope you write a reveiw of the show.

I can't stand that new Journey singer that Neal Schon discoverd on Youtube.

I mean Steve Augeri was no Steve Perry either but at least he could do the job.

I actually saw Journey with Jeff Scott Soto on vocals.

It was so horrible that Wendy and I left the show early.

My favorite Journey albums are the first three.

The ones without Steve Perry although I do enjoy "Infinity."

My wife LOVES Steve Perry's voice.

As I think his vocals get annoying after awhile I will say that he put Journey on the commercial map of music.

Also Journey's current drummer, Deen Castronovo is one hell of a player but the guy can also sing well too.

Have fun.

QUOTE (Rush Cocky @ Aug 31 2009, 11:38 AM)

You could do that Cocky but there are a lot of solid "b-side" songs on the first two albums.

Heck "Dawn Patrol" needs to be played all the way through. JMO

Wasn't it PuppetKing who used the signature "Greatest Hits cds are for soccer moms?"

Classic.

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Aug 31 2009, 04:33 PM)

You could do that Cocky but there are a lot of solid "b-side" songs on the first two albums.

Wasn't it PuppetKing who used the signature "Greatest Hits cds are for soccer moms?"

Classic.

No, it wasn't Puppetking, it was Finbar who coined (or popularised) the phrase on TRF. Puppetking just made a lot of noise about loving it and adopted it and absorbed it into his ex-teen repertoire. Like any good wanna-be journo worth his salt he used what he heard and the word was soccermoms...

• Like 1

QUOTE (treeduck @ Aug 31 2009, 02:40 PM)
QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Aug 31 2009, 04:33 PM)

Classic.

No, it wasn't Puppetking, it was Finbar who coined (or popularised) the phrase on TRF. Puppetking just made a lot of noise about loving it and adopted it and absorbed it into his ex-teen repertoire. Like any good wanna-be journo worth his salt he used what he heard and the word was soccermoms...

Thanks buddy for the info!

My wife is a soccer mom but she's pretty damn hot and doesn't care for Greatest Hits albums.

Signed,

"Man In Motion"

(Not John Parr, Night Ranger) wink.gif

QUOTE (RUSHHEAD666 @ Aug 30 2009, 07:01 PM)
I was talking to a buddy of mine this week about other good local Bay Area bands and Night Ranger came up.
Now I know they are a product of the Eighties but you must admit they did put out a few good records.
A bit to key"bored"y  but still with the great Brad Gillis and Jeff Watson on guitars you really can't lose.
Jack Blades is no slouch either on the bass.
I'm listening to "Seven Wishes" right now.
Very commercial but very melodic too.
I think the song on this record called "Interstate Love Affair" was also in some movie soundtrack.
I can't remember.

"Dawn Patrol" and "Midnight Madness" are my two favorites.

On a personal note, my brother in law's sister had a baby with Brad Gillis so he's "in the family" so to speak.
I have talked to him several times.
Brad is a great, down to earth and fun guy.
He told me the story right to my face about how he got the job with OZZY when Randy passed away. R.I.P.

Strangely enough my other "buddy" Dave Meniketti from Y&T was actually asked to join OZZY by Sharon and Ozzy first.  Ozzy got down on his knees  when Sharon asked Dave to join.
Dave of course declined politely because of his own band.

Well anyway back to Brad Gillis, of course he took the job.
He is on the "Speak Of The Devil" album.
I am sure you all know that.

So Brad was telling me sort of what I already knew from some rock magazine, but hearing it from the "horse's mouth" was totally cool.

Sincerely,

"Sister Christian"  1022.gif

I can listen to them. But would never buy there albums.

BTW.. Jack Blades is no Geddy Lee laugh.gif biggrin.gif

All this talk of Night Ranger and not a mention of their newest work "Hole in the Sun". I think you may still have to get it as an import but I like it very much. I have the import from the Frontiers label but I think there might be a US release also. It's quite different than the 80's NR that we are all familiar with, a little less pop. Don't worry though it does come with the requisite "Ballad"

I just saw them last fall at a show they did for Lowry Park Zoo here in town. Jack Blades, Brad Gillis, and Kelly Keagy are the original members still touring. They have a replacement keyboard player and a second guitarist that looks like a crazier, younger Ted Nugent. They did a nice show including some Damn Yankees and a couple of medley-type covers they did just to screw around. Jack sounds great while Kelly (does the vocals on Sister Christian as well as others) doesn't sound great live. Me and a buddy enjoyed it while his twenty-something wife got a bit bored... I also saw them back in circa 84 right when Dawn Patrol was getting released and the only reason ayone knew them was because Brad had just finished the tour with Ozzy.