The Time Traveler's Wife

goose

I'm wondering if anyone's seen this movie. I read the book a couple of years ago and loved it. At the time I thought it would make a good flick - although I'd change the title. Is it any good?

I am curious about it. The concept is a little different from the usual romance (I'm a sucker for those anyway if they're well-executed and not ridiculously sappy). I wait, as do you, for a review from a "real person" (as opposed to a critic, who place far too much importance on their own opinions).

Seen it?

No, 'cause it's a chick flick.

QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Aug 18 2009, 06:29 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 18 2009, 11:21 AM)
Seen it?

We all know you're a big softie really. Like when you organised that Love Actually chat/watch night that only you turned up to because it's your favourite film. Bless.

icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 18 2009, 11:48 AM)
QUOTE (Mandalorian Hunter @ Aug 18 2009, 06:29 AM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 18 2009, 11:21 AM)
Seen it?

We all know you're a big softie really. Like when you organised that Love Actually chat/watch night that only you turned up to because it's your favourite film. Bless.

icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif icon_really_happy_guy.gif

The greatest thing about that is Love Actually is like 6 chick flicks rolled into one. Heaven, eh? I can't remember, but how many boxes of tissues did you say you went through?

Edited by Mandalorian Hunter

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 18 2009, 07:21 AM)
Seen it?

Good point, Jack!

We both can't stand inane "chick flicks"! And especially since we forced ourself to give the deplorable, I Love You, Man a view just to see RUSH (Unfortunate decision, I might add!!! ohmy.gif . . . no, no, no, NOT wanting to see RUSH, but renting ILYM!!!), we're suffering from PTS and hesitate to see TTW.

However, I ADORE Sci-Fi which plays with a jumbled time/space plot.

I even enjoyed the Christopher Reeves/Jane Seymour sappy love story, Somewhere in Time (Eddie would approve!!!) because they wove a truly metaphysically based time travel scenario.

But I don't know if we should take the chance?!? wacko.gif

We eagerly await further opinions on this thread!!!

Hare biggrin.gif

QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Aug 18 2009, 07:01 AM)
Seen it?

Good point, Jack!

We both can't stand inane "chick flicks"! And especially since we forced ourself to give the deplorable, I Love You, Man a view just to see RUSH (Unfortunate decision, I might add!!! ohmy.gif . . . no, no, no, NOT wanting to see RUSH, but renting ILYM!!!), we're suffering from PTS and hesitate to see TTW.

I even enjoyed the Christopher Reeves/Jane Seymour sappy love story, Somewhere in Time (Eddie would approve!!!) because they wove a truly metaphysically based time travel scenario.

Hare biggrin.gif

My wife read the book and says it's outstanding!

So, that being said, I will probably take her to see it despite the potential loss of man-points. I will, however, make up for it by going to see 'Inglorious Basterds'!

QUOTE (Tortoise and Hare @ Aug 18 2009, 08:01 AM)
Seen it?

Good point, Jack!

Hare biggrin.gif

Can't help it. I have always loved "Somewhere In Time", even though it took some significant liberties with the Richard Matheson story.

Part of it, I swear, is that it's one of the all-time best soundtracks ever. This is one rare instance in which the soundtrack actually ENHANCED the movie instead of being intrusive.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 18 2009, 07:43 AM)
Seen it?

Good point, Jack!

Hare biggrin.gif

So, that being said, I will probably take her to see it despite the potential loss of man-points. I will, however, make up for it by going to see 'Inglorious Basterds'!

laugh.gif Potential loss of man-points indeed! I wouldn't see it.

Nor would I watch/read the latest chick obsession "Twilight," which strikes me as V.C. Andrews for a new generation: "horror" stories which appeal mainly to post-pubescent girls. Worse, "Twilight" forwards a pathetic female fantasy: that they'll meet a pseudo-"dangerous" man, be swept away from their humdrum domestic lives into a world of adventure and passion, and somewhat tame the wild man with their love. Think bodice-ripping "historical romance" novels, the TV show "Beauty and the Beast" with Linda Hamilton, and the Emily Bronte classic "Wuthering Heights," from which I date this nutty feminine fantasy. (The success of "Twilight" is kind of pissing me off, can you tell? I'm glad my wife hasn't gotten suckered into it yet by a well-meaning girlfriend.)

BTW, "I Love You, Man" was great, even without the Rush references.

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 18 2009, 08:18 AM)
Seen it?

Good point, Jack!

Hare biggrin.gif

Can't help it. I have always loved "Somewhere In Time", even though it took some significant liberties with the Richard Matheson story.

Part of it, I swear, is that it's one of the all-time best soundtracks ever. This is one rare instance in which the soundtrack actually ENHANCED the movie instead of being intrusive.

Better than "Somewhere in Time," to my mind, is the sleeper "Time After Time" with Malcolm McDowell and Mary Steenburgen. Maybe I like it more because the focus is centered on the time-travel angle and less on the love story.

(The plot: Jack the Ripper escapes Victorian London via a time machine built by "The Time Machine" author H.G. Wells. Wells pursues the rapist/murderer to present day San Francisco to stop him. Wells has the usual time-travel-story trouble of convincing others he's from another time, but also has trouble convincing others he's the famous and long-deceased novelist. This movie has a bit of everything.)

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 18 2009, 08:19 AM)
Seen it?

Good point, Jack!

Hare biggrin.gif

Nor would I watch/read the latest chick obsession "Twilight," which strikes me as V.C. Andrews for a new generation: "horror" stories which appeal mainly to post-pubescent girls. Worse, "Twilight" forwards a pathetic female fantasy: that they'll meet a pseudo-"dangerous" man, be swept away from their humdrum domestic lives into a world of adventure and passion, and somewhat tame the wild man with their love. Think bodice-ripping "historical romance" novels, the TV show "Beauty and the Beast" with Linda Hamilton, and the Emily Bronte classic "Wuthering Heights," from which I date this nutty feminine fantasy. (The success of "Twilight" is kind of pissing me off, can you tell? I'm glad my wife hasn't gotten suckered into it yet by a well-meaning girlfriend.)

You know more about "Twilight" than my wife.

laugh.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 18 2009, 08:31 AM)
Seen it?

Good point, Jack!

Hare biggrin.gif

Better than "Somewhere in Time," to my mind, is the sleeper "Time After Time" with Malcolm McDowell and Mary Steenburgen. Maybe I like it more because the focus is centered on the time-travel angle and less on the love story.

(The plot: Jack the Ripper escapes Victorian London via a time machine built by "The Time Machine" author H.G. Wells. Wells pursues the rapist/murderer to present day San Francisco to stop him. Wells has the usual time-travel-story trouble of convincing others he's from another time, but also has trouble convincing others he's the famous and long-deceased novelist. This movie has a bit of everything.)

I remember that movie. I liked it as well. I haven't seen it since it was in theatres so I looked up the trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnT-9-EWDxQ I think I'll rent that one after work. smile.gif

QUOTE (workingcinderellaman @ Aug 18 2009, 08:58 AM)
QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 18 2009, 08:31 AM)
Seen it?

Good point, Jack!

Hare biggrin.gif

I remember that movie. I liked it as well. I haven't seen it since it was in theatres so I looked up the trailer. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VnT-9-EWDxQ I think I'll rent that one after work. smile.gif

new_thumbsupsmileyanim.gif

QUOTE (GeddyRulz @ Aug 18 2009, 09:31 AM)
Seen it?

Good point, Jack!

Hare biggrin.gif

I loved that movie as well and catch it whenever it shows up on DISH! The humor was subtle (like when Malcolm/Wells orders from "that Scottish place, McDonald's" in the fake American accent, as he's parroting the other customers), it had plenty of suspense, and the romance wasn't a distracting feature.

QUOTE (syrinxpriest 2112 @ Aug 18 2009, 11:28 AM)

Good f***ing plan!

laugh.gif Thanks!

Seen it?

Good point, Jack!

Hare biggrin.gif

One has to balance how much one loves one's wife with how much one would be embarassed by the point loss! laugh.gif Of course, my wife wins every time. I love her, I can't help myself. She's the best and I'd be lost without her.

QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 18 2009, 12:53 PM)
Seen it?

Good point, Jack!

Hare biggrin.gif

One has to balance how much one loves one's wife with how much one would be embarassed by the point loss! laugh.gif Of course, my wife wins every time. I love her, I can't help myself. She's the best and I'd be lost without her.

Plus you bank serious man-points with HER, and those are not to be taken lightly.

QUOTE (Mara @ Aug 18 2009, 12:39 PM)
QUOTE (Jack Aubrey @ Aug 18 2009, 12:53 PM)
Seen it?

Good point, Jack!

Hare biggrin.gif

Plus you bank serious man-points with HER, and those are not to be taken lightly.

INDEED! yes.gif laugh.gif

The book is fabulous (and I don't like chick-lit at all), but just watching the film trailers made me almost lose my lunch. So I'll be giving it a miss.

I have never seen Chocolat or Captain Corelli's Mandolin for much the same reason.

QUOTE (edie @ Aug 18 2009, 03:52 PM)
The book is fabulous (and I don't like chick-lit at all), but just watching the film trailers made me almost lose my lunch. So I'll be giving it a miss.

I have never seen Chocolat or Captain Corelli's Mandolin for much the same reason.

I've seen "Chocolat" and loved it - but, I haven't read the book, so maybe I wouldn't have if I had read it.

QUOTE (edie @ Aug 18 2009, 03:52 PM)

The book really is fantastic, IMO. I'm not into "chick-lit" either, nor do I enjoy most "chick-flicks". But the story for this one is solid, and it was well-written. My fear is that the movie will do to this novel what Hollywood did to "Love in the Time of Cholera".